Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

il serpente cosmico posted:

Sounds like cookie clicker with a better UI.

:eng101: All games can be reduced to "If X is equal to this value, you win." All games are cookie clicker with different UIs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Remember when goons didn't post a clash of clans or puzzle pokemon iOS edition threads because they were appalled at how the developers actively despised their customers?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Remember when goons didn't post a clash of clans or puzzle pokemon iOS edition threads because they were appalled at how the developers actively despised their customers?

I don't mind microtransactions when they're micro, like paying a few cents to speed something stupid up. I usually don't do it, but its not a huge deal.

What's annoying is when 'microtransactions' means charging 40$ to barely get anything and charging 100$ because screw you, we can charge that much.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tezzeract posted:

I don't mind microtransactions when they're micro, like paying a few cents to speed something stupid up. I usually don't do it, but its not a huge deal.

What's annoying is when 'microtransactions' means charging 40$ to barely get anything and charging 100$ because screw you, we can charge that much.

The only microtransactions I don't mind are cosmetic stuff. Timer games get boring after a while because the timers seem like they just keep going up and up until you get fed up and spend .99 and then they go up again. DOTA2 does micro-transactions well I think because they are all pretty much completely pointless unless you care how your dude looks and even then you can trade/get a lot of stuff without spending any of your pennies.

Also microtransactions in games where you've already spent $60 are really, really loving stupid. Especially when devs neuter the mod tools so that they can charge a premium for adding content that could be added by the community.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Tezzeract posted:

That is every iOS free to play game, including what's listed above. People will still buy them because they're dumb as hell. Enjoy the new future of games.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

That is every iOS free to play game, including what's listed above. People will still buy them because they're dumb as hell. Enjoy the new future of games.

iOS is screwy because you can't really charge any reasonable premium for a game. So instead they go whalehunting.

10$ for a full fledged handheld port on the phone would basically take you out of the market because people don't want to pay anything. While people would be completely fine spending 10$ on a PC for the same game.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I don't think you understand that it doesn't matter because the model worked on phone apps and is currently working for console games because people are dumb as hell. Here's an entire thread filled with idiots: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3604338

The CEO on twitter is correct and either you deal with it or assume the mind of a child.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Clash of clans is a phone game though, which goes back into his main point...

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Hmmm I should probably give Anno another try. I got like 30 mins into the tutorial and got bored, I really hate "Click here... okay! now click HERE" tutorials in sim games.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

mycot posted:

There's another thread full of idiots that are not using a phone: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573192

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

mycot posted:

PC and console devs still try to use this system sometimes which ends really bad for them 99% of the time. I liked Avalanche so far, their SWIV-clone (Renegade Ops) was really good but I will enjoy the schadenfreude immensely if they really try to release the JC3 single-player with this poo poo and get crushed by everyone for that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

fatherboxx posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/11/05/red-faction-gfwl/#more-247109

Red Faction: Guerilla ditches GFWL :woop:

GET YOUR rear end TO MARS and smash capitalism with a sledgehammer and some explosives.

Now Bulletstorm just needs to dump it and I'll never have to care about GFWL again!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The CEO on twitter is correct and either you deal with it or assume the mind of a child.

Nnnnnnnnnnnope. What companies are learning right now (very painfully, I might add) is that the F2P model only works for a narrow band of games specifically designed around them. You can't just make a sequel, give it away, and lock half the features behind a cash shop. Ever wonder why F2P iOS games are basically a million versions of the same three games?

Unlike traditional retail games, F2P games require network infrastructure, constant maintenance, and a never-ending stream of additional content. Even if the industry tries to move completely in that direction, it's a realm that a huge amount of indie developers either won't or can't move with.

I think it's funny he mentioned subscription models in his tweet, because it's already been proven that model is unsustainable for about 95% of the market.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
WoW and EVE seem to be the big florishing subscription games. Both are pretty much running on momentum and slowly bleeding population.

There's also FF but it started with a large existing fan base that most mmos won't have.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Servers are cheaper than ever before, you can outsource your programmers, and if worse comes to worse you can claim bankruptcy - form a new company - buy the assets to your old company. F2P is here to stay because its so easy and relatively cheap to do.

Adding it retail games is pretty simple to since so many idiots will by DLC. The CEO is right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

WoW and EVE seem to be the big florishing subscription games. Both are pretty much running on momentum and slowly bleeding population.

There's also FF but it started with a large existing fan base that most mmos won't have.

WoW (and probably FFXI, but admittedly I haven't played it) manage to survive on a massive amount of accumulated content and constant small-scale expansion with new minor events (most Holiday events in WoW generally get something new each year, even if it's just a shiny new toy or quest). Anything trying to break into the market with the same subscription model's likely to tank within six months, just because they won't be able to keep up the rapid pace with the playerbase's interest before they max out their characters and get bored.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

Anno is more for people who like to see their cities grow without some crazy threats. I don't like those games myself but my girlfriend loved Anno to death specifically because she could just chill and make even more beuildings while the resources grew, then expand underwater etc.

You just glossed over what sounds like an amazing thing.
Can you really create an underwater city? I'm just imagining the underwater gungan city scenes from Star Wars Episode 1.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

Can you really create an underwater city? I'm just imagining the underwater gungan city scenes from Star Wars Episode 1.

Yeah the expansion to 2070 makes it so you can colonize underwater areas like their own islands. It's not as fleshed out or as well done as a lot of people would like, but it's pretty cool.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Deakul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGV5qajgyc8&t=10s

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Fuuuuuuuuuck me. :vince:

So, it's limited to certain areas? That's kind of lame, imagine if they let you have free reign over the entire underwater world and you could tame fish, set up massive research complexes, set out on quests with a giant submarine, and basically what I'm saying is re-enact Sealab 2020 and Seaquest DSV. :gizz:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah it's pretty much exactly underwater Anno islands, some bigger, some smaller depending on map and such.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Deakul posted:

Orv posted:

Yeah the expansion to 2070 makes it so you can colonize underwater areas like their own islands. It's not as fleshed out or as well done as a lot of people would like, but it's pretty cool.

You can do that in the base game, there's just less to it. They're less cities and more labor camps, growing kelp and mining diamonds for your surface-dwellers. Don't get me wrong, it's still cool as hell, it's just that your real population centers are always going to be above-water.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that this game is really REALLY pretty.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Zombie Samurai posted:

You can do that in the base game, there's just less to it. They're less cities and more labor camps, growing kelp and mining diamonds for your surface-dwellers. Don't get me wrong, it's still cool as hell, it's just that your real population centers are always going to be above-water.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that this game is really REALLY pretty.

This game is super pretty.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If you somehow do not own Skyrim at this point, it is currently $5 at GMG.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I preordered a game at GMG a while back but now it's at even a greater discount than when I originally preordered. I want to get it at this price instead.

Who do I contact to get them to deal with this? That's messed up. It's like a $15 dollar difference.

edit: I found their support page and submitted a ticket. We'll see.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 5, 2014

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Has anyone tried Evolve yet? How is it? It says its from the dudes who made left 4 dead, and it's kind of an interesting concept.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HogX posted:

Has anyone tried Evolve yet? How is it? It says its from the dudes who made left 4 dead, and it's kind of an interesting concept.

Full of problems, maybe not fixable problems this late in the day.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Following up on last month's awesome free copy of Endless Legend, this month IGN prime is giving away Guacamelee Super Turbo Edition the plain one

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Following up on last month's awesome free copy of Endless Legend, this month IGN prime is giving away Guacamelee Super Turbo Edition the plain one

i think if you own the original the upgrade is like 2bux or something though

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Ragequit posted:

If you somehow do not own Skyrim at this point, it is currently $5 at GMG.

How is the combat and level / world design in Skyrim? I've stayed away from it because I burned out on Fallout 3 in 6-7 hours because I thought those aspects were so poorly done.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I do, because he's put micro-transactions and subscriptions together as "the future" when the former is killing the latter stone-dead.

That's what I was trying to say. For lack of space for a few commas, what could have come out as 'Look, traditional retail models aren't going to keep our lights on forever, so you're going to see companies branching out into subscriptions or microtransactions, or concepts we haven't really seen yet, that's inevitable', came out as 'gently caress y'all, gamers! We're turnin' this here industry into a magical, whale-flensing machine and that's that!' It's the kind of claim that's way too big to defend on Twitter, and makes him look like a bigger twat for airing it there.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

You're the crane

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

HogX posted:

It's pretty fun, but there's balance issues that the dev team seems to think aren't problems.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

How is the combat and level / world design in Skyrim? I've stayed away from it because I burned out on Fallout 3 in 6-7 hours because I thought those aspects were so poorly done.

The world design is great and the main draw of the game. Unfortunately the combat is (in my experience) godawful, with no really satisfying mechanics at all. Being a mage is boring as hell and never as powerful as I'd hoped. Melee just boils down to hammering LMB then swigging tons of stamina and health potions whenever necessary.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Combat sucks (it's Bethesda, what else is new?) but the world is great and dungeon designs feel more unique and natural than Oblivion's cave/sewer/castle map sets. I guess "varied" is the word, here. Skyrim actually feels like Morrowind where someone hand crafted the world. Oblivion and Fallout 3 felt like they just laid down large swatches of flat terrain and had a generator to create the subway/sewers that all look the same.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Mr E posted:

It's pretty fun, but there's balance issues that the dev team seems to think aren't problems.

Like what?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Convex posted:

The world design is great and the main draw of the game. Unfortunately the combat is (in my experience) godawful, with no really satisfying mechanics at all. Being a mage is boring as hell and never as powerful as I'd hoped. Melee just boils down to hammering LMB then swigging tons of stamina and health potions whenever necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBiNx749Zw

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Awesome! posted:

i think if you own the original the upgrade is like 2bux or something though

Right so even that wouldn't be v impressive but the old one?

speaking of 6HDL0-94K2C-JXYFJ

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Right so even that wouldn't be v impressive but the old one?

speaking of 6HDL0-94K2C-JXYFJ

Guacamelee! :)

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Apparently there's a big ol' update coming for Wasteland 2 today:

http://wastelandrpg.tumblr.com/post/101857060631/wasteland-2-patch-3-59820-release-notes

• Locked thread