Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

BANME.sh posted:

This is what I got myself after some more adjustments of my own. All I did extra in Photoshop was set the brightness to -60 and then the contrast to +60.

and flip the image. I thought my brain was blowing up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Pukestain Pal posted:

and flip the image. I thought my brain was blowing up there.

Yeah, oops. I scan all my negatives backwards so to avoid them touching the scanner surface and causing newton rings.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BANME.sh posted:

Yeah, oops. I scan all my negatives backwards so to avoid them touching the scanner surface and causing newton rings.

Well the scanner's focus seems to be off, it was very soft when I looked at it in 100% and couldn't really see any trace of grain.

Did you check that the camera it set at the right ISO?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

Well the scanner's focus seems to be off, it was very soft when I looked at it in 100% and couldn't really see any trace of grain.

Did you check that the camera it set at the right ISO?

Yeah, none of my negatives are flat despite sitting them under books for days.

And yeah, the ISO was set correctly according to the DX code.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Helicity posted:

Just a standard old film camera, or are there any interesting perks/downsides?
I don't know anything about the Yashica, but I've got a few standard old film cameras and they're all good fun - especially with a solid workhorse like a 28/2.8 mounted. Throw some film in there and go for a walk.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

This was shot on an F100 in matrix metering mode, so I'm surprised the exposure was so off.

Meters aren't infallible, even averaging/matrix meters, and the readings they give will vary from camera model to camera model, even from the same manufacturer. Now that you know how the meter responds to scenes like this, use that knowledge to set some negative exposure compensation in the future. It'll probably help some.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Pukestain Pal posted:

It's not the film, camera or scanner. It's overexposed coming out of the camera.

Didn't you just post that you bought your first two rolls of film to jump on the bandwagon?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

deaders posted:

Didn't you just post that you bought your first two rolls of film to jump on the bandwagon?

I'm pretty sure I know how exposure works. Also, I'm not wrong.

EDIT: Also, you seem like experimenting with film is a bad thing. If that's jumping on the bandwagon, fine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Pukestain Pal posted:

EDIT: Also, you seem like experimenting with film is a bad thing. If that's jumping on the bandwagon, fine.

bullshit man, i think you're wrong

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

bullshit man, i think you're wrong

then what is it? The scanner or the film if it's not his exposure.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Pukestain Pal posted:

Experimenting with film is not a bad thing, you would have to be mentally retarded to interpret my comment that way.

Most people wait until they know about something before giving advice, that's all.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

deaders posted:

Most people wait until they know about something before giving advice, that's all.

Can someone that knows something about grad filters on rangefinders explain how the hell that combination works in theory and in practice?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
You might need to meter manually, as the built in meter on a lot of 35mm rangefinders is a little window on the lens barrel, unless your camera does TTL metering (Leica, Bessa), then you should be good to go.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Helicity posted:

Can someone that knows something about grad filters on rangefinders explain how the hell that combination works in theory and in practice?
I thought it was basically impossible if you were using a hard lined filter. It'd be basically guesswork if it was a soft graduation. I never use them with rangefinders, if there is a way, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I found this, but wasn't really understanding how it helped:

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera-directory/camera-dir-list/category/rangefinder-blades

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

A round-up of film related news from Photokina 2014 on APUG: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/134632-report-photokina-2014-a.html

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Since I started shooting film, I've begun to notice film being used in movies and TV more and more. Probably because I find myself looking at the color and grain more than before. I try to figure out if it's authentic or just a filter applied to digital.

Anyway, I've been watching True Detective and I couldn't help but notice that a lot of the outdoor scenes look identical in look and feel to many of the Portra shots that get posted here. I know Portra is strictly for still photography, but they must have some kind of motion picture equivalent, right?

Anyway I looked it up and found this:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Publications/InCamera/HBO_s_True_Detective_Elevates_the_Television_Drama.htm

quote:

Why was 35mm chosen as opposed to another format?
Cary and I are both great film lovers. It has a special texture. Our series takes place in 1995 for the most part, and film helped us achieve a slightly nostalgic aesthetic. We wanted the series to have an unaffected quality to it, and film has a wonderful ability to translate the best parts of what catches an eye into a beautiful image without pushing or tweaking it too much. Film is a very forgiving veil. We had to shoot about five minutes of screen time a day, so at times I was leaning on the format pretty hard to give me a provocative result.

What film stocks did you use?
We decided to keep it simple and only use two stocks. We used KODAK VISION3 50D [Color Negative Film] 5203 for all exterior day scenes. I love the latitude of that stock. You can lift the shadows in the grade and not feel the grain too much. I also did some pull-processing to lessen the contrast on very sunny days. We used [KODAK VISION3 500T Color Negative Film] 5219 for everything else. That’s a great stock. The grain is so tight these days that there’s no stress in pushing it around a bit.

So there you go. Watch it if you haven't yet.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Portra is Vision 3 for C-41 instead of ECN-2.

Kodak posted:

What technologies were used to develop such an exceptional film?
PORTRA 400 film utilizes KODAK VISION Film technology, and also incorporates Antenna Dye Sensitization in the cyan and magenta emulsion layers.

New Kodak Portra 400 is Vision3 250D by The Brothers Wright, on Flickr

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hey folks,

So my Nikon F3 that I got for 60 bucks on eBay came in. The TTL light meter is not functioning properly, indicating that everything is overexposed. If I wanted to get this fixed how much do you all think it would cost? I have not gotten a quote yet but according to this camera shop located near me (http://mouseclickconcepts.com/pro/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=284&zenid=2j06q238lu0mmc3u6rm76mfp65) I'm looking at about a 100 bucks to fix it. What do you guys think? Should I just invest in a light meter or use a light meter app? Or is this worth just fixing up.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

hi liter posted:

Hey folks,

So my Nikon F3 that I got for 60 bucks on eBay came in. The TTL light meter is not functioning properly, indicating that everything is overexposed. If I wanted to get this fixed how much do you all think it would cost? I have not gotten a quote yet but according to this camera shop located near me (http://mouseclickconcepts.com/pro/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=284&zenid=2j06q238lu0mmc3u6rm76mfp65) I'm looking at about a 100 bucks to fix it. What do you guys think? Should I just invest in a light meter or use a light meter app? Or is this worth just fixing up.

I would fix it. $160 total dollars isn't a great price for an F3 but it's not a bad one either. The F3 has a great meter, it's 80/20 centerweighted which is close enough to a spot meter to be great but not so much as to be limiting. You can probably do okay with a phone app though if the money is an issue.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

I'm sorry.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Well gently caress it, if oldy time folks didn't have fancy in camera light meters I don't either. I'm just gonna shoot on it and see how my first few rolls develop and re-evaluate after that. I'll probably get it fixed at some point but I wanna play with my new toy :)

Question time: I want to do some shooting tonight for Halloween, and have been reading up about pushing film. The general procedure I've read is to change the ISO/ASA dial on my body, but is that just for the in camera meter? Can I just mark on the roll/tube that I want it developed at 1600 instead of 400? Also is pushing Superia 400 to 1600 advisable?

If this all seems like a lot/reckless, I plan on bringing a digital backup.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Meter at 1600. You can tell your lab either to 'push two stops' or 'develop at 1600'.

Portra 400 is your best bet for a 2 stop push as far as colour goes. Superia will work if you have it on hand but I wouldn't recommend it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
How does pushing C-41 work? The process is standardized across ISO, I developed a roll of 800 next to a roll of 200 in the tank the last time I did it, both came out fine. Do you just change the development time, and all film in the tank (assuming you have multiple rolls in the tank) get pushed by 1 or 2 or whatever stops? So a roll of 100 shot at 400 and pushed 2 stops in development comes out how you want it, and so does the 400 shot at 1600 in the tank with it, right?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

Do you just change the development time, and all film in the tank (assuming you have multiple rolls in the tank) get pushed by 1 or 2 or whatever stops? So a roll of 100 shot at 400 and pushed 2 stops in development comes out how you want it, and so does the 400 shot at 1600 in the tank with it, right?

Yes.

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...
Any goons have experience with Ilford Pan F Plus? I have 5 rolls in 120 of it coming to me, and of course, right after I buy it I get told that it's apparently difficult to work with.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gargonovitch posted:

Any goons have experience with Ilford Pan F Plus? I have 5 rolls in 120 of it coming to me, and of course, right after I buy it I get told that it's apparently difficult to work with.

Not a whole lot, but keep in mind that it's quite high contrast. The negatives oddly look thin when inspecting them, but when you put them in an enlarger they aren't really, not sure about scanning actually. Either way, high contrast and high resolution, and I'd say that treating it with speedy/high concentration developers like Rodinal or HC-110 is doing it a disservice.
Consider rating it as 25 instead of 50, that will let you get potentially even finer grain, and less contrast too.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Gargonovitch posted:

It's a pain shooting anything slower than 100 ISO, but since I assume you've made your peace with that, I think it and maybe FP4 are the best looking slow B&W films going.

I shot it at box speed and processed in Rodinal 1+80 and it came out looking like what I'd describe as high resolution Tri-X.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

nielsm posted:

Not a whole lot, but keep in mind that it's quite high contrast. The negatives oddly look thin when inspecting them, but when you put them in an enlarger they aren't really, not sure about scanning actually. Either way, high contrast and high resolution, and I'd say that treating it with speedy/high concentration developers like Rodinal or HC-110 is doing it a disservice.
Consider rating it as 25 instead of 50, that will let you get potentially even finer grain, and less contrast too.

This. Insane contrast and density. I shot it at 25 or 12 and it looks great.

One thing you should keep in mind is to develop promptly. Ilford and anedoctes say that you start to loose the latent image two weeks or even less after exposure.

I used rodinal 1+100 for development. Still keep a few rolls around for any "I wanna use slow film" moments...

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...

quote:

Not a whole lot, but keep in mind that it's quite high contrast. The negatives oddly look thin when inspecting them, but when you put them in an enlarger they aren't really, not sure about scanning actually.

This is fine by me, I like a hefty dose of contrast, myself. I also only print optically and never scan, which is why I've never actually posted photos here. I guess I could scan the prints, but I don’t even have a scanner at the moment.

quote:

It's a pain shooting anything slower than 100 ISO, but since I assume you've made your peace with that, I think it and maybe FP4 are the best looking slow B&W films going.

I figure it'll be ok. I bought it to shoot with my RB67, which is pretty much permanently mounted on a tripod, so using slower shutter speeds and all that shouldn't be a problem. I usually shoot 100 ISO using Acros, but Acros is almost TOO perfect, you know? I wanted something slower with some character to it, similar to Tri X where you can tell right away that it's a certain film. I also bought five rolls of Delta 100 because apparently I'm on an Ilford kick, so I still have the 100 ISO option.
I wouldn't go for ISO 50 on any of my 35mm cameras because I always shoot them handheld. I like a solid 400 ISO for that, so I usually stick to Tri X, but I bought a bunch of TMAX 400 to try out this time, in addition to my normal Tri X.

quote:

This. Insane contrast and density. I shot it at 25 or 12 and it looks great.

One thing you should keep in mind is to develop promptly. Ilford and anedoctes say that you start to loose the latent image two weeks or even less after exposure.

I used rodinal 1+100 for development. Still keep a few rolls around for any "I wanna use slow film" moments...
It definitely seems like one of those films where everyone prefers a different soup with a different push/pull. I'll have to experiment with the rolls I get. I generally use Rodinal (Blazinal :canada: ) as well.

Thanks for all the tips, folks! I'm pretty pumped to try this stuff out!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's cool.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I came across an entire B&W darkroom setup today, for only $50. Included is an enlarger (Durst 609 - supports 35mm to 6x9 apparently, though only came with the 35mm film holder), easels, trays, tongs, extra dev tanks (though I already have my own Patterson tank), squeegees, thermometers, beakers/jugs, safelights, a timer, contrast filters, and some other crap I am not sure about.

One thing looks like a dryer for prints maybe? It looks like this and has a temperature dial on it:

There's also these thin sheets of chrome plated steel that apparently are used for making glossy prints?

Anyway, I've been wanting to make my own prints for a while and I already have two different enlargers, but they are missing attachments, and I've been too lazy/cheap to track down replacements. Looks like all I need now is photo paper and maybe some different chemicals.

So I guess it goes without saying, are there any good absolute beginner guides that any of you would recommend?

96cobraguy
Aug 10, 2008

Gargonovitch posted:

It's fantastic. I love it. I posted a few pics of a few rolls I did with it several pages back. If it's 50 ISO, it's a bit challenging to work with, but I found that even at low shutter speeds, it came out really nice.

Edit: page 356, my first post on there. Second is from my roll of Velvia 50

96cobraguy fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 2, 2014

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Found this beauty at the local second hand shop today. it's pretty rare for me to get manuals and everything with the cameras i find, so i'm pretty chuffed with this score. Cost me about 5 bucks.

only issue is that the shutter count seems to be broken, but i can live with that. adds a moment of danger to everything!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
You have a nice Pen-ees. Thanks for sharing.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
Developed my second roll of black and white film, turns out I made a balls of the first one, underexposing everything, because the yellow filter I was using reduced the light by more than I thought I did.

No worries of that happening again as I dropped it, smashing it in the process. Most of the photos from this roll were overexposed though because I swung too hard in the other direction. Third time's the charm least embarrassingly poo poo.

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 5, 2014

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Musei Vaticani by alkanphel, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Nice sack you got there.

John Dounce
Jan 17, 2012

unpacked robinhood posted:

:tipshat:
I hope you get something cool out of it.

So I know this is from a few pages ago, but I just got caught up on the thread. How did the film turn out? And do you still have the reel? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nielsm was able to develop some barely readable images from the roll I sent him, the film looked really damaged from the start.
ExecuDork also has a few rolls to shoot with, the bits he received looked better to the eye than what nielsm got so I'm somewhat hopeful the results may be a tad better even if I'm not holding my breath.

I still have the reel.