Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Americans are fickle and have really short memories. I've always liked the analogy between the two major parties and UPS and FedEx.

People pick, say, UPS to ship all their stuff. Everything is great for a few years. No problems. Then eventually UPS loses one of their packages and maybe a friend or family member has something damaged by UPS. They switch to FedEx because of those mistakes. Everything is great for a few years. Shipping costs are about the same, maybe a little less. Then after a while, FedEx damages a package and doesn't give a refund because Fine Print. Then maybe a close friend has a package lost by FedEx or something. Those mistakes cause them to go back to using UPS because they're kind of dumb and fickle and are over the UPS mistakes and hey maybe they deserve another chance and blah blah blah. Then the cycle repeats every few years.

So yeah, Americans are fickle and have short memories.

It's called "What have you done for me lately?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, Rush is going to be insufferable today. More so than usual I mean.
He's been gloating about the election results being nothing less than a mandate for the complete gridlock of the American political system which isn't really that different from what we have today, which is endlessly amusing because he was raging about the Drive-By-Media using election results as a mandate for Democratic policies before the results came in. But, much like freepers, he is enraged that the Republicans managed to win this election by suppressing the Tea Party :rolleyes:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gozinbulx posted:

Man, seeing as how I get the majority of my Amero-centric news from this thread, seeing republican politicians act like insane idiotic children for 2 years and then be magically rewarded for this behavior by being given control of both the Senate and House is just astonishing. I'm done with this country.

Like literally the republican parties main policy platform for the last god knows how many years have been "gently caress everyone poor, gently caress everyone not white, gently caress women, like literally, we want to force doctors to rape women with a wand if they dare to get an abortion, rape is a slippery slope" and then the country is like yep, let's give these guys more power.

A lot of it is just plain old gerrymandering. The disparity between popular votes and who gets to go to Congress can be insane.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Nonsense posted:

Conservative states are growing larger, and liberal states remain static.

Citation needed. Thanks.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is so true, and on exactly those same levels. I work for one of those big shipping companies, and people honestly go back and forth like that. And people have totally forgotten about Republicans past screw ups, because they have to, because it is the only other option if they are dissatisfied with the Democrats.

At least a few Republicans on the radio last nights were honest with themselves that this is not a "Republican Mandate" election.

Nonsense posted:

Republicans have made Texas the most job producing state in the history of the nation.

Perry isn't going to run nationally on this for the same reason he couldn't in previous years. Every time people have dug into where those jobs are, it turns out that the bulk of them are low wage McJobs and government work. Burger flippers, bureaucrats, and contractors on pork projects aren't an economic miracle.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

For the senators that won election, are they all hard-right so that they couldn't ever be used for the swing vote? Will they always toe the party line?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Unzip and Attack posted:

Citation needed. Thanks.

It's true in the sense that most migration is headed towards southern states but it's ignoring that a lot of those migrants are not conservative.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

This is so true, and on exactly those same levels. I work for one of those big shipping companies, and people honestly go back and forth like that. And people have totally forgotten about Republicans past screw ups, because they have to, because it is the only other option if they are dissatisfied with the Democrats.

At least a few Republicans on the radio last nights were honest with themselves that this is not a "Republican Mandate" election.

Perry isn't going to run nationally on this for the same reason he couldn't in previous years. Every time people have dug into where those jobs are, it turns out that the bulk of them are low wage McJobs and government work. Burger flippers, bureaucrats, and contractors on pork projects aren't an economic miracle.

Perry faces corruption charges. He did successfully however, transform the GOP in Texas into a machine that will probably last longer than Tammany Hall.

Also Democratic rags can tell True-Believer Dems how all the jobs here are burger flipping jobs all they like. Democrats are stuck in the rust belt while states like Texas get all the manufacturing, research, and oil-gas billions.

That doesn't change the fact this new GOP is going to slaughter what was left of Ann Richards footprint, including our amazing roads, best in the nation, no longer.

Losses-Gains, that doesn't mean much in a single-party majority state. This state shouldn't be getting prosperous under republicans, but it is.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I'm not too sure that Texas is quite the miracle you're making it out to be unless you're already wealthly.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I'm not too sure that Texas is quite the miracle you're making it out to be unless you're already wealthly.

That's literally everywhere, but nobody is chatting up the Idaho economic miracle.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'm more a fan of the Kansas economic miracle.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FMguru posted:

I think you'll find that there is active support in general when governments do not make enough tax revenue to fund lights being on at highway shelter stops.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FMguru posted:

I left Kansas too early and missed out on all that prosperity!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Speaking on Kansas, I'm saddened Brownbeck lost. The State is just screwing itself over, more and more...

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Nonsense posted:

That's literally everywhere, but nobody is chatting up the Idaho economic miracle.

No one is chatting it up because no one has had an economic miracle in the past few years. Texas really hasn't either. The only selling point many of those southern states have is that job prospects are still lovely, but at least property is cheap.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

A lot of the Texas "economic miracle" is flim flam bullshit, and a lot of what could be considered legitimate about it is stuff that can't be repeated elsewhere. You can't pull oil or gas out of the ground where none exists, and even here in Texas a lot of the recent strength and growth in the energy sector is only possible because prices were high. Those wells and operations will begin to shut down again if oil prices continue to drop.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Tab8715 posted:

Speaking on Kansas, I'm saddened Brownbeck lost. The State is just screwing itself over, more and more...

But Brownback won..?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

joeburz posted:

But Brownback won..?

Whoops, he did my bad.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Tab8715 posted:

For the senators that won election, are they all hard-right so that they couldn't ever be used for the swing vote? Will they always toe the party line?

Probably. The Republicans are much better at voting in lock step.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Kansas is loving hilarious. Look at everything that's happened there because of Brownback and realize that, in their voters minds, all of that is balanced out by "yeah but this guy is a Democrat".

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

foobardog posted:

Probably. The Republicans are much better at voting in lock step.

Are you posting from 2002 somehow? Right behind "we hate Obama" their entire schtick for the past 6 years has been internal dysfunction.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Kansas is loving hilarious. Look at everything that's happened there because of Brownback and realize that, in their voters minds, all of that is balanced out by "yeah but this guy is a Democrat".

Brownbeck fought like hell to keep his seat because his policies have done so much damage to the state. Lifelong Republicans switch sides just to get out before their state has been ruined.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Are you posting from 2002 somehow? Right behind "we hate Obama" their entire schtick for the past 6 years has been internal dysfunction.

Right, but the actual people who know what they're doing were making Movement Conservative a much more state-solidified coalition because the Republicans, as evidenced by a lot of their legislation from ALEC, and were better able to get their voters out there, proven yesterday. It ensures Republicans will never give up the offices that entrench them in the states they currently hold down, like Texas, etc. from ever being affected by demographic changes. The Hispanic community could also I dunno, maybe vote?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nonsense posted:

Losses-Gains, that doesn't mean much in a single-party majority state. This state shouldn't be getting prosperous under republicans, but it is.

It's prosperous in the same way that Russia is prosperous under Putin.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
The rich get richer and the poor continue to get hosed over. An economic miracle!!!

I don't really get how it's a "miracle" when Texas has been a powerhouse for a long time, primarily owing to its natural resources and the fact that many defense related industries have been based out of it.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 5, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ReidRansom posted:

A lot of the Texas "economic miracle" is flim flam bullshit, and a lot of what could be considered legitimate about it is stuff that can't be repeated elsewhere. You can't pull oil or gas out of the ground where none exists, and even here in Texas a lot of the recent strength and growth in the energy sector is only possible because prices were high. Those wells and operations will begin to shut down again if oil prices continue to drop.

Aside from that running a state in the GOP way can also have disastrous consequences. Hell, look at PA. Governor Corbett hosed things up hard by being extreme right conservative. The state was already a poster child for the Rust Belt and Republican influence has done absolutely nothing except make life suck more for anybody that isn't rich and torpedo any possibility of recovery. The depressing fact is that the Great Recession did gently caress all to PA because there wasn't much you could do to it. Life here continued on as usual except that there were a few more poor people and the poor got to eat less bacon. poo poo sucked, poo poo continued to suck, poo poo still sucks. The right's response of "whatever, ignore the problem, it will go away eventually" hasn't accomplished much.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Darkman Fanpage posted:

The rich get richer and the poor continue to get hosed over. An economic miracle!!!

I don't really get how it's a "miracle" when Texas has been a powerhouse for a long time, primarily owing to its natural resources and the fact that many defense related industries have been based out of it.

Rick Perry is still waiting for those galtian Silicon Valley libertarians to flock like hordes from the communist hellhole Commiefornia to the land of promise. It'll happen. Anyday now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Job Truniht posted:

Rick Perry is still waiting for those galtian Silicon Valley libertarians to flock like hordes from the communist hellhole Commiefornia to the land of promise. It'll happen. Anyday now.

Well, looking at Austin...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

computer parts posted:

Well, looking at Austin...

Austin is driving away businesses with its envirocommie plastic bag ban and must be stopped.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

quote:

Last night was a big one for the Republican Party. They bludgeoned Democrats in Senate races across the country, retaking control of the chamber, while solidifying their majority in the House of Representatives. Fox News’ election night team could scarcely contain their excitement as race after race confirmed the conservative wave they had long predicted.

Their celebration reached a fever pitch when they threw it to their panel of experts, featuring Chris Wallace, Karl Rove, and some guy the other two talked over. As promised early in the night, the three were decked out in cowboy garb, giggling as they cracked cowboy jokes that will have your sides a-stitchin’.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/11/05/fox-election-panelists-dress-up-as-cowboys.html

Laughing at them is probably the best way to keep from killing oneself.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Some guy just called in to my local Vegas shithead show and began his call by saying he voted straight R because Obama is doing a lovely job and then said it's really sad that people vote based on party and can't just pick the best person for the job. :ironicat:

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: What I want to do here is cut to the chase. The result yesterday is exactly what I said it would be. The Republican Party now has one of the most important and unquestionable mandates a political party has ever had at its junction with American history, especially a political party which did not run on a national agenda. The Republican Party purposely stood mute nationally.
The Republican Party was elected to stop before we get to the cliff. And that's the mandate: to stop Obamacare; to stop amnesty; to stop the open borders policy of Obama and the Democrats; to stop the Big Government assault on the free enterprise economy; to stop national security policies that have allowed terrorist networks all over the world to pop up and fill a vacuum created by the absence of the world's lone superpower on the world stage. That must be stopped.

The Republican Party was elected to stop the run-up of a debt greater than all previous presidents combined have created. The Republican Party was elected to stop efforts by this administration to use the IRS and other agencies of government, in violation of manners and law, in attacking political opponents. The Republican Party was elected to put an end to this incessant and divisive lie that is the War on Women. Yesterday's result cannot in any way mean that voters want Republicans to work with Democrats. And anybody who tells you that and anybody who thinks that could not be more dangerously wrong.

You do not have election results like we had yesterday with the intent being that the voters intend the winners to work with the losers. This election was about stopping the losers, in this case the Democrats. There can be no other correct analysis of what this election was about. They were not elected to "fix a broken system."

They were elected to stop the people who are breaking the system.

The results do not mean that voters want Republicans to govern. The election does also not mean that the country's become conservative. It can't be said that there was an ideological component to the mandate, because the Republicans did not run on ideology. The Republicans ran everywhere to stop Obama, and that's what the mandate is. Now, whether they want to accept the mandate or not, that's another question.

Whether they are even aware of the mandate is an even bigger question. As I listen to the wizards of smart -- all the analysts of both parties, all movements on TV last night and today -- the thing I'm hearing from everybody is that what the voters want is for Washington to compromise and people to work together. That's not what they said.
The mandate the Republicans have is to stop Barack Obama, to stop the further implementation of Obamacare, to stop government policies that are destroying the private, free-enterprise economy. Voters across this country know this is not how this country is supposed to be. They know that this is not what they were electing in 2008 and 2012.
They, the Republican Party, must understand that they have one objective. There was one lesson that was being taught last night, one message being sent: "Stop Obama. Stop this. Stop this country careening out of control and being transformed into something it was never founded nor intended to be.

"Stop the Democrat Party. Stop Barack Obama." The Democrat Party part of that has been dealt with in the Senate and the House. Make no mistake: If voters wanted Republicans to work with Democrats, they wouldn't have seen to it that so many Democrats got creamed last night. The country is tired of Democrats. The country is worn out with Democrats.

The country's depressed because of Democrats. The country is out of work because of Democrats. The country is feeling aimless because of Democrats. The country is not optimistic about its future because of Democrats! There is no way the vote yesterday was a signal to work with them. They have had six years of unstoppable destruction, and the American people -- and I, by the way -- want it stopped.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/11/05/the_mandate_republicans_were_elected_to_stop_barack_obama_not_to_work_with_him

quote:

RUSH: Even President Obama knows that this election was all about him. Even President Obama knows that the electorate said yesterday they want Obama stopped. And if you doubt me, let me take you back to October 2nd and Roll Call. "Obama: My Policies Are on the Ballot -- 'I am not on the ballot this fall. Michelle's pretty happy about that. But make no mistake: These policies are on the ballot.

"'Every single one of them,' Obama said in prepared remarks at Northwestern University." As all of these Democrat candidates were begging him not to go anywhere near them, as they were begging him to stay away, as they were denying even having voted for him... And, by the way, do you realize Alison Lundergan Grimes was never, ever even viable in that race?
Here's Terry in Columbus, Ohio, as we meet the objective of getting a phone call in in the first hour. Great to have you, sir. Hello.

CALLER: Hey. Thanks for allowing me on. I remember back when you made a statement that I thought was very harsh when you said you hoped Obama and his policies all failed.

RUSH: Mmm-hmm.

CALLER: I remember everybody jumping on you and running you down, and I even began to think maybe you were just a little bit harsh. But, by golly, now I know that you were not only not harsh, you were not harsh enough! I'm telling you, I'm glad what you predicted happened, because now we can see the before and the after. And we know the before was much better.

RUSH: I appreciate that. You know what? It takes a big man to call and say what you said -- I mean, to admit that you thought I'd gone too far but now you think maybe I didn't go far enough. I appreciate that, Terry.
Folks, let me... He's talking about what I said on January 16, 2009. The Wall Street Journal had asked a bunch of nationally renowned famous people to write 400 words on their hopes for the presidency of the first African-American president.

I said, "I don't need 400. I can do it in four: 'I hope he fails.'" I said this on January 16th, and I have to tell you something. One of the greatest attributes of somebody that hosts a radio show like this is empathy. You have to have empathy for the audience. I consider this relationship that you and I have almost to be familial.

I've been here 26 years, and those of you who are lifers, I mean, you know what this program's about and I'm about. I figure everybody understood what I meant, and I don't even think it's harsh. It's no different than saying, "I oppose socialism." I don't want socialism to succeed. "I hope he fails." I didn't want the presidency to fail. I didn't want the country to fail.

It was just the exact opposite. I wanted him to fail implementing his policies, and he didn't.
We are where we are.
The election last night -- and I'm gonna keep saying this. You know the old saw: You have to say things over and over again for it to set in, for people to finally hear it -- particularly the spoken word, which is here and then it's gone into the ether. This election has a mandate, and the mandate is big. I don't think the Republican Party even is aware. They may be now, but it's not something they were conscious of.

They tried to win this election by practically being invisible at the national level, and because of this election they have been elected to stop Barack Obama and his agenda. They were elected to put the brakes on it. But Obama has shown -- and he's even in the midst of all this out there huffing and puffing and bragging about doing amnesty this Christmas.
Obama has shown, he's demonstrated and he continues to threaten to govern outside of the will of the people, against the will of the people and outside the Constitution. I think these next two years portend some of the greatest danger yet. I think these next two years hold... (sigh) It's scary to think about it, because we have a man who's committed -- he is, by virtue of his own existence, he is committed -- to transforming this country, for whatever reasons.

We can debate from now 'til the end of the day what it is about America that Obama doesn't like and wants to change, but it doesn't matter. We know that he doesn't like certain things and he has resented them for a long time -- and by God, by golly, he's gonna fix it before he goes. He's got two years, and it's everything to him and it doesn't matter to him what he has to do.

The Republicans have already promised him that they're not going to legally stop him. They've taken impeachment off the table. They better be very careful about talking about how there won't be a government shutdown or, "We're not gonna withhold funds." They better be very careful about that because all they're gonna do is send a message that he has a free reign.

That he's got a free road ahead of him to do whatever he wants to do, because when it comes to it they aren't gonna stop him, and that's the only reason they were elected. There can be no other. Voters don't send people to Washington to compromise. Voters send people to Washington to dominate. Voters send people to Washington to persevere, to win, to bring about things they believe in. They don't send people to Washington to cave on core principles in the name of compromise.

That's not what happened yesterday. The American people who voted, loud and clear made it plain and simple: "Stop it. We don't want any more," and the Republicans are the only ones who can. And so, in the midst of all this, here's Obama, "Hey, bud, you know what? I'm gonna continue on with my executive amnesty," because he needs and the Democrat Party is seeking total dominance of the American electoral system.

This election result's not gonna change his mind about it. Public opinion doesn't matter. The American people show up in droves to say to the country and Obama, "Stop!" That doesn't matter to him. He's gonna keep on. When you understand why, it makes total sense. He wants all of these illegal aliens to someday be legal,Democrat-registered voters, pure and simple! It isn't complicated whatsoever.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/11/05/obama_knows_what_this_election_was_about

quote:

RUSH: No, this was not a defeat for incumbents. It was not a rejection of incumbents. This was a rejection of liberalism. Whether the voters know that or not, liberalism is what this country has been in the shackles of for six years. Liberalism is what is ruining this country. The people who voted yesterday said, "No more! No mas! Stop it!" The people of this country yesterday went to vote, and they rejected liberal Democrat policies.

There can be no other analysis of this, not honest. You can lie to yourself if you're a Democrat, and even if you're Republican you can lie to yourself and say, "The voters want us to fix a broken system. The voters want us to work together." B! S! The voters want whatever they see happening, stopped. You and I know it as liberalism. They may not know what it is, although I think a majority do.

But regardless, they want it stopped! This is not the America that everybody has come to know and expect. The idea that America's best days are behind us? Who says? That's hogwash, and nobody wants to believe that. We don't want to be told, "This is the new reality and that we'd better accept an America in decline because an American super-status nation, an American superpower nation? Oh, no, that doesn't work anymore. We're all together now in a global community."

BS. That is not what the American people want. The American people don't want a vacuum around the world where terrorist groups like ISIS rise up, Boko Haram rise up, Al-Qaeda rise up. The American people do not want infectious diseases all over the world brought into this country. The American people want America to remain what it always has been: The greatest country on earth.

I finally heard a candidate say that last night! I actually, in an acceptance speech, heard a candidate call the United States of America "the greatest nation on earth," and I had to stop and think. I haven't heard a candidate of either party say that about this country in I don't know when, in I don't know how long. It was Joni Ernst. It was Joni Ernst, in her acceptance speech, when she described what she's gonna do.

She is going to go to Washington and "make them squeal," and she's talking about the Democrat Party and the Washington establishment. She is going to make them squeal. She said, "We are gonna make them squeal," and she described America as the greatest nation on earth, the greatest nation in history -- and it is, and the American people know it, and they want it to continue.

They want to live and be part of the greatest nation on earth, and they want to be among those who make it work, and they don't want to hear how the best days are behind us. They don't want to hear how, "Well, the past, trickle-down? It was living on borrowed time and wasn't real. It really wasn't real. This is the real America, where we have to redistribute limited resources." That's not what this country is.

It's not what the people of this country want this country to be, and they went to the polls yesterday and they knocked that premise out of the park. They don't want Democrat Party Lite. They don't want compromise. They don't want the Republicans to go there and do a little bit of what Obama does just so everybody's smiling. They want this stopped! There can be no other analysis. There can be no alternative take on this.

Now, I realize some of you in the New Castrati, the metrosexuals among you might be yelling at your radio (impression), "Mr. Limbaugh, you simply are wrong! I know for a fact that many of my friends want Washington to work together, and that's what the election meant." Really? Where do you get that?

Honestly, if you happen to hold that view, that the election yesterday means voters want the Democrats and the Republicans to work together, how in the world do you get that? There isn't one candidate who said that's what he was gonna do that won. The candidates that won promised to stop Obamacare, but other things, too. Even if they hadn't, how do you get that?

Don't you understand that is a Democrat myth, just like, "The independents don't like Democrats being criticized. If Republicans criticize Democrats, the independents are not gonna put up with that and they'll go running right back to the Democrat Party!" Really? Yeah? That's a myth. That's a lie. Another Democrat myth is, "The Republicans are never, ever gonna win another election unless they get on board and support amnesty."

Really? How do you explain last night. Name for me one Republican who won promising to work with Obama on amnesty. You can't produce such candidate, 'cause he doesn't exist. So where do you get this idea that the election means the voters want the parties to compromise and to work together and to govern with no acrimony? Where do you get that? You can't find that message.

That's not what elections are about, anyway. Elections are about winners and losers, and last night the Democrats lost. It means the Republicans won. It means the Republicans' job is to dominate, to stop the Democrats, pure and simple. It doesn't mean work with 'em. It doesn't mean compromise. It doesn't mean share the majority leadership position with Harry Reid. It means get rid of Harry Reid!
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/11/05/a_rejection_of_liberalism
The next two years will be interesting to say the least. I can't really blame all the right-wing media outlets for :gizz:ing all over themselves for what a wonderful job they've done gerrymandering because they simply haven't had a political victory of this magnitude in decades.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Yeah, it's interesting to guess what they're going to do now that they can't deflect attention on every issue by blaming the Dem-controlled senate. Blaming Obama for their failure to formulate sane policy is going to get old real quick.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Elephant Ambush posted:

Americans are fickle and have really short memories. I've always liked the analogy between the two major parties and UPS and FedEx.

People pick, say, UPS to ship all their stuff. Everything is great for a few years. No problems. Then eventually UPS loses one of their packages and maybe a friend or family member has something damaged by UPS. They switch to FedEx because of those mistakes. Everything is great for a few years. Shipping costs are about the same, maybe a little less. Then after a while, FedEx damages a package and doesn't give a refund because Fine Print. Then maybe a close friend has a package lost by FedEx or something. Those mistakes cause them to go back to using UPS because they're kind of dumb and fickle and are over the UPS mistakes and hey maybe they deserve another chance and blah blah blah. Then the cycle repeats every few years.

Yep. The economy and job market are objectively in the best shape they've been in years but people are concerned about it because they're loving stupid and the Democratic party can't capitalize on their own successes. So Republicans can go out and lie about what an awful job the scary black man has done with the economy and dumb people will buy into it.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/05/news/economy/voters-obama-economy-four-charts/?hpt=hp_t2

The title for that article is hilarious too: "Why voters hate the Obama economy" *lists facts and graphs showing the improved economy* :wow:

edit: I remember the day after the 2008 election Rush was hemming and hawing about how it didn't mean anything and elections weren't purely about winners and losers and it meant it was time for Republicans to work with the Democrats to get things done from a conservative bent. Color me shocked he's being a hypocritical lying poo poo now!

edit 2: "the world's lone superpower" ahahahahahahahahahahahhahahah

Hazo fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 6, 2014

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Well, I just got done marathoning my stand-up comedy collection while drinking anything even vaguely alcoholic I could get a hold of after seeing the polls. loving Mitch McTurtle won the Kentucky seat, which means he will continue to slowly grudge-gently caress us in the name of freedom. I couldn't even vote -- they wouldn't let me off work and even if they did I couldn't get a ride.

But hey, why should I be allowed to vote anyway? I don't have a six-figure income.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

beatlegs posted:

Yeah, it's interesting to guess what they're going to do now that they can't deflect attention on every issue by blaming the Dem-controlled senate. Blaming Obama for their failure to formulate sane policy is going to get old real quick.

Well now they give America what it really wants: Benghazi hearings.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Overheard at work today:

"Well, at least Obama's done."
"What do you mean?"
"He's gone."

I said nothing.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

Overheard at work today:

"Well, at least Obama's done."
"What do you mean?"
"He's gone."

I said nothing.

Yea, a certain type of person is awakening from their hibernation in cubicles across the nation. Living in the Phoenix area makes it so much more wonderful.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hazo posted:

Yep. The economy and job market are objectively in the best shape they've been in years but people are concerned about it because they're loving stupid and the Democratic party can't capitalize on their own successes. So Republicans can go out and lie about what an awful job the scary black man has done with the economy and dumb people will buy into it.

The problem is "the best shape they've been in years" remains faint praise. The voters don't want a merely passable economy, they want a good economy, for them, and nobody is feeling well-off or successful any more because wages are flat and stagnant and have been consistently for decades.

I mean that's no more Obama's fault than it is any other politician's but the voters aren't entirely delusional here. There's a mass dissatisfaction in this country and it's not unjustified, just poorly targeted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Of course, but if someone complains specifically about the "poor" economic conditions and blames Obama for them (as seems to be the case based on exit polls) then I think it's pretty safe to say they're indeed delusional because the statistics unequivocally show a steady recovery since the collapse under Bush.

Unless they genuinely think deregulation, privatization, and fiscal conservatism are actual viable ways to fix the economy despite the evidence to the contrary but I don't think... well I dunno, I guess I can believe that 7 out of 10 off-year voters are dumb enough to think that.