Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Archimago posted:

Just....need....two...more...hides...

On an unrelated note, I am interested to see the multiplayer; singleplayer gameplay is more important, but if the multiplayer is ME3 with dragons and staves that poo poo could be a lot of fun.

Most importantly: Will playing online increase my Inquisitorial Readiness?

No. Cannot recall exactly where I heard it (one of the Q&A livestreams probably), but multiplayer is completely divorced from singleplayer. They learned that lesson after ME3, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GhostBoy posted:

No. Cannot recall exactly where I heard it (one of the Q&A livestreams probably), but multiplayer is completely divorced from singleplayer. They learned that lesson after ME3, thankfully.

And people were saying they didn't learn anything from ME3.

I thought sending the advisors on missions affected the quests, like Leliana loving up that Tevinter mage thing, resulting in her getting captured and you had to rescue her?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Torrannor posted:

As I recall, they also claimed that you wouldn't need to play the multiplayer in the lead up to ME3, along with a lot of other promises that turned out to be bullshit. That said, it does sound like they're at least going to hold to this one, so thumbs up, I guess?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Keeshhound posted:

As I recall, they also claimed that you wouldn't need to play the multiplayer in the lead up to ME3, along with a lot of other promises that turned out to be bullshit. That said, it does sound like they're at least going to hold to this one, so thumbs up, I guess?

Well, it's true that you didn't need to play it.
Plus, I believe if you had all of the ME1 and 2 DLC, you could get enough war assets for the optimal ending without the multiplayer.

That said, the multiplayer was loving excellent so why wouldn't you play it.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I thought sending the advisors on missions affected the quests, like Leliana loving up that Tevinter mage thing, resulting in her getting captured and you had to rescue her?

Some of the missions are related to actual quests, where you and your party go out and about to do stuff in response to the mission. F.inst the mission for elf inquisitors to send an envoy to a clan suggested that Cullen may not be ideal. It read something like "My soldiers will convey the news of the inquisitor and ensure the elves properly respect the Inquisition", with the two others suggesting a more diplomatic approach. They haven't shown that quest, but it sounds like you may have to do some damage control if you send Cullen.

I was talking about the smaller missions, where you send them off for a period of RL time and they come back with 10 gold or whatever. It can, kind of, affect the quests since that advisor is unavailable for the other, more important, missions, so if they are a better choice and you don't want to wait, maybe you send someone else and they screw things up for you.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 5, 2014

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Also important to note is that sending different advisors may result in different rewards, so sending the one that has the shortest completion time may not always be ideal.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dunban posted:

Also important to note is that sending different advisors may result in different rewards, so sending the one that has the shortest completion time may not always be ideal.

+10 crafting materials -or-
+10 war assets -or-
100 gold

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Drifter posted:

+10 crafting materials -or-
+10 war assets -or-
100 gold

Exactly. That's going to be the real meat of DA:I's gameplay.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPpekcveMOQ

First character trailer, for Vivienne. Looks like it's part of a larger one.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is that Kate Mulgrew saying the unite etc etc bit or is my hearing going.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

I don't think that's Mulgrew. Her voice these days is raspier - like a cat purr.

That was a cool little character teaser, I thought.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Orv posted:

Sounds like Claudia Black.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

Sounds like Claudia Black.

God I hope not. If I can't distinguish between them I need to hand in my scifi card.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Pattonesque posted:

That was a cool trailer.

Also, I feel a sudden urge to go buy an Xbone....It just seems like the best option....I hear the native resolution for DAI will even be 720P instead of the initially suspected 1024x768.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Archimago posted:

That was a cool trailer.

Also, I feel a sudden urge to go buy an Xbone....It just seems like the best option....I hear the native resolution for DAI will even be 720P instead of the initially suspected 1024x768.

With the money of an XBOX why don't you just buy a new graphics card if yours is lovely?

Oh. Wait...you got me. Good one.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone have combat hints/tips for Dragon Age Origins, i am getting my rear end kicked by the low level bandits in Lothering. I am only playing on normal, and even if i am constantly micromanaging my characters most of my party dies in every battle.

Mostly my PC seems to be killed almost instantly every time (i am dual wielding rogue) at the start of the battle, since the enemy archers constantly fall back. I feel i am doing something wrong.

*EDIT* Also half the times my party member seem to just sit there doing absolutely nothing, AI tactics are not disabled. This typically seems to happen after i tell them to do a command, after finishing it half the time Alistar will just stand there not attacking anything.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 5, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

UberJumper posted:

Does anyone have combat hints/tips for Dragon Age Origins, i am getting my rear end kicked by the low level bandits in Lothering. I am only playing on normal, and even if i am constantly micromanaging my characters most of my party dies in every battle.

Mostly my PC seems to be killed almost instantly every time (i am dual wielding rogue) at the start of the battle, since the enemy archers constantly fall back. I feel i am doing something wrong.

Try changing your AI behaviors to first enemy visible, or target of character, and then give them a target. Somebody'll come in here with a better explanation on how to best use the AI. Personally, I tend to pause and direct a lot. I treated this game a little differently than Mass Effect.

Engage the archers with your other dudes. Set up some crowd control things before moving your rogue around. The early levels are pretty tough for rogues before you get enough muscle to stabby stab and to avoid damage.

If you have a mage, look into things that occupy enemies, rather than damage them outright. Sleep, paralyze, Crushing prison and the like, even Frost, are better than fireball or burning hands.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
The Keep made me buy Dragon Age 2...I've made a huge mistake haven't I?

Does anything except cosmetics change if you've got an old save from Origins, I deleted mine about 4 years ago

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tomorrows Ace posted:

The Keep made me buy Dragon Age 2...I've made a huge mistake haven't I?

Does anything except cosmetics change if you've got an old save from Origins, I deleted mine about 4 years ago

Why would you buy DA2 when the Keep invalidates any need to play it. Nobody likes DA2. Bioware doesn't like DA2.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I played through Dragon Age 2 a second time in order to make an 'ultimate' playthrough that I could import into the next game, three months after I finished Dragon Age Keep was announced... :suicide:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Vichan posted:

I played through Dragon Age 2 a second time in order to make an 'ultimate' playthrough that I could import into the next game, three months after I finished Dragon Age Keep was announced... :suicide:

I just think it's hilarious that nothing actually gets imported from the save games. That's the second biggest gently caress you from Bioware, after actually having people play DA2. People play DA2 to get a savegame and "nooooope" :laugh:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

GhostBoy posted:

I thought one of the videos mentioned they were looking at certain craftables being unlocked (ealier in the campaign?) in SP when playing MP.

Could just be me getting the billion different facts mixed up.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

ImpAtom posted:

Why would you buy DA2 when the Keep invalidates any need to play it. Nobody likes DA2. Bioware doesn't like DA2.

You're asking me to make advanced romantic decisions for Hawke without even experiencing the lives, loves & betrayals that Bioware has put in front of me??

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tomorrows Ace posted:

You're asking me to make advanced romantic decisions for Hawke without even experiencing the lives, loves & betrayals that Bioware has put in front of me??
gently caress everyone in that game who isn't varric, and you can't romance him

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tomorrows Ace posted:

Yes. Because that is the only sensible suggestion.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

UberJumper posted:

*EDIT* Also half the times my party member seem to just sit there doing absolutely nothing, AI tactics are not disabled. This typically seems to happen after i tell them to do a command, after finishing it half the time Alistar will just stand there not attacking anything.

Play on easy - it's better than being stuck due to the clumsy combat system. Pausing and directing works, but there are a lot of repeated fights in DA:O so you might get annoyed by meticulously replaying the same encounter over and over again. The only encounters I'd increase the difficulty is the High Dragons, since they fall a bit too easily.

The game's difficulty is skewed - as you get better gear and stats, you start scaling over the combat. The expansion Awakenings for example is hilariously easy due to the overpowered skills you get.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Also, try changing the overall behavior in the tactics screen in addition to the individual tactics. Sometimes on the default setting they'll be pretty stupid. I set Alistair to Aggressive so he quickly picks up the aggro on Normal.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Drifter posted:

I just think it's hilarious that nothing actually gets imported from the save games. That's the second biggest gently caress you from Bioware, after actually having people play DA2. People play DA2 to get a savegame and "nooooope" :laugh:

Its not Bioware's fault that people feel they need ~the perfect save~ and waste their time playing a game they dont like.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Thor-Stryker posted:

I thought one of the videos mentioned they were looking at certain craftables being unlocked (ealier in the campaign?) in SP when playing MP.

Could just be me getting the billion different facts mixed up.

A key difference is crafting between the two modes. In Single player, when you use ingredients in crafting, you can't get them back. You can destroy or sell the crafted weapon but can't take the Flannelweave and Hipsterstone out of it. In multiplayer, however, since you don't go around collecting rocks and cloths and furs and nug butts, you instead take loot you don't want to use and turn it into components for making/improving other kinds of loot.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

UberJumper posted:

The default tactics are complete garbage. Don't use them.
For example putting
Enemy:Nearest Visible -> Attack
at the bottom of the tactics will ensure your non-controlled party members won't just stand there.

If you use the Advanced Tactics mod, you can also make good use the jump command. For example this:
1. Tark: Rank == Critter -> Jump to 3
2. Target: Health > 10% -> Use Shield Bash
3. Enemy:Nearest Visible -> Attack
would make sure the non-controlled character won't waste the shield bash on enemies that are canon fodder or an attack away from health.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

KoB posted:

Its not Bioware's fault that people feel they need ~the perfect save~ and waste their time playing a game they dont like.

:(

There were fun moments to be had, though. Mentally breaking Anders almost made the whole thing worth it!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I swear I saw an announcement earlier this week about a stream today at 7 MST, presumably about multiplayer, but now the only references to it I can find say it's tomorrow at 10 PST.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Orv posted:

God I hope not. If I can't distinguish between them I need to hand in my scifi card.

That's definitely Claudia Black. Hand it over Orv. :colbert:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Pattonesque posted:

I'm loving that the accents are on the same level as 'Allo 'Allo.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Brony Hunter posted:

What the gently caress is that guys saying, is it even English?

*replays three times*

Oooohhhhh he's saying "negotiations". That makes sense.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The Orlais parts of this game are going to own.

Orv
May 4, 2011

paragon1 posted:

That's definitely Claudia Black. Hand it over Orv. :colbert:

It totally is, I'm sorry. :smith:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Brony Hunter posted:

Need the option to mockingly scream ZUT ALORS as a conversation-ender with every Orlesian character

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lotish posted:

So I swear I saw an announcement earlier this week about a stream today at 7 MST, presumably about multiplayer, but now the only references to it I can find say it's tomorrow at 10 PST.

You did, looks like something went wrong and they changed it an hour ago.

Unrelated but horrifying:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I am glad that this game will have outrageous French accents, unlike a certain game with assassins in it where everyone in Paris has English accents.

• Locked thread