Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Night10194 posted:

Sometimes, I look at FFG's games and I wonder why it is they go so bonkers whenever a techpriest comes up. It seems like every gameline has a ton of Techpriest Only stuff that's simply better than any other existing option.

Yeah especially when it comes to implants and the like. I always think there has to be some way to limit them without breaking them but how?

One potential is to have them gain insanity each time they add an upgrade as more of their flesh is lost. Like the human mind isn't suppose to cope with too much change like that. Same way chaos folks are just insane.

Another would be to add some "humanity" stat similar to shadowrun essence, and if someone gets to zero they become a mindless automaton. This would be for everyone, not just the ad mech.

Now everyone tell me about how that conflicts with fluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
Pretty much all high end 40k characters seem to have wiring coming out of their skulls, so I suppose it's something everyone aspires to.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Some standardizing of the rules would help too. Like on the insanity front: Cortex implants in RT give 1d10 insanity, in OW the cerebral implants (which do the same thing) do not. So even the few cybernetics that have penalties aren't consistent about it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kaizer88 posted:

Pretty much all high end 40k characters seem to have wiring coming out of their skulls, so I suppose it's something everyone aspires to.

A lot of high end 40k characters are also kinda crazy too. Like, the difference between a Tech-Priest driven crazy by his cyberware addiction and a regular baseline Tech-Priest is probably an academic one at best.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Kaizer88 posted:

Or had to do because some Slaanesh daemon with a crab hand lopped it off.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Werix posted:

Now everyone tell me about how that conflicts with fluff.

It actually doesn't conflict at all, and then there's the whole side issue of maybe there's a C'tan entombed in Mars.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Kaizer88 posted:

I have an augmentic-phobic Forgeworlder Voidmaster who willingly went under the knife to have a tiny Dark Age of Technology Weapons MIU implanted.

It's just gotta be awesome enough of an implant and then anyone will go for it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There's nothing unreasonable about a fear of headtubes, those things are freaky.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp
I ran a navigator all the way to rank 8 without a single bionic, although I did luck out on mutation rolls and get unnatural agility and regeneration by the end of the game.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Kai Tave posted:

There's nothing unreasonable about a fear of headtubes, those things are freaky.

Called melee shot and pull like you're starting a lawnmower engine.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Hey guys, I posted a document with a bunch of ideas on how to build a mechanically-impactful mission "hub" for Dark Heresy over at the mostly-mediocre FFG forums:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/126241-the-mission-hub-building-players-a-home/

I'd love it if you guys could take a look and provide some feedback.

Hopefully, it'll help new GMs get an idea of how to manage player downtime and foster social interactions between missions.

I know that for my group, they had a hard time wrapping their heads around the new Influence stat, so this will hopefully help contextualize it for new players as well.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Influence has been around for 4 systems (5 if you count ascension) now, though?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Welp. The Inquisitor w/Daemon Weapon boss of the first arc for my Sisters campaign got his poo poo wrecked by hilariously good luck; first the Dominion shot him with a Melta despite him being in melee, he then proceeded to fail a 61% dodge with a Fate reroll, then a Refractor Field save, then take nearly max damage, then fail a 72% Parry with Fate reroll and his Refractor save, to get finished off by the Repentia pretty much the first round of combat. All while their Retributor, Seraphim, and normal Sister hosed down the Praetorian battle servitors and Stormtroopers.

Still nearly killed a couple of them in the battle, though, and they all got to do their thing and had a good time, so I'm still going to count it as a decent encounter. I just seem to have the worst luck rolling for high evasion enemies as the DM. It's become a running joke in Deathwatch games that I cannot make Lictors do anything; I have made like 3 Dodge checks with Lictors over several campaigns. They just get ruined whenever they show up.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
This week in BLACK CRUSADE, my players continued their dive into a Necron pyramid in order to find technology they can use to trade with Forge Polix. We had a new player to the campaign playing one of the surviving Hereteks in the expeditions to the world. His very first session and he jury rigged a flamethrower to take care of the scarabs that kept pestering the party, only for his jury rigged weapon to literally explode in his face. The entire group had a laugh because now it's not just the psykers threatening the total destruction of the heretics, but also a heretek whose creations threaten them all as well.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Shadow Isaac posted:

I killed 3 PCs in the final battle of the Black Sepulchre alone.

This is funny because my group basically one-shot that boss. I had to double his wounds to make the fight at all interesting but they cleaned up regardless. Granted they were rank 4, but still.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gaghskull posted:

This week in BLACK CRUSADE, my players continued their dive into a Necron pyramid in order to find technology they can use to trade with Forge Polix. We had a new player to the campaign playing one of the surviving Hereteks in the expeditions to the world. His very first session and he jury rigged a flamethrower to take care of the scarabs that kept pestering the party, only for his jury rigged weapon to literally explode in his face. The entire group had a laugh because now it's not just the psykers threatening the total destruction of the heretics, but also a heretek whose creations threaten them all as well.

Don't forget! Some players are now *canon* afraid of the psyker, thanks to the magic of Perils of the Warp.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp

Clanpot Shake posted:

This is funny because my group basically one-shot that boss. I had to double his wounds to make the fight at all interesting but they cleaned up regardless. Granted they were rank 4, but still.

My guys started with Rank 1 characters at the start of the book, so I think they were maybe rank 2 at the point where they fought him. I one-shotted 2 characters with a single firestorm in the first round (also they were mind-swapped thanks to a perils roll) and then killed another guy with Psychic Crush in the second. I knew they weren't gonna be able to damage it with their gear and the only reason they were able to kill him was that I made it so the presence of daemonic energies resonated with the holy rounds in Zanatov's bolter to grant the wielder temporary Bolt Pistol training as long as there were Daemons around and there was still holy ammo in it.

I specifically targeted the mind-swapped guys first so that they could burn fate points to override both death and being mind-swapped for something like another 8-10 rounds of combat.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Is the Black Crusade adventure module good?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Is the Black Crusade adventure module good?

After taking a look at them I didn't like any. Some of them have cool ideas here and there about encounters but actually running them sounds lovely. The actual setting, the Screaming Vortex, owns though.

Dunno if by adventure module you meant the Hand of Corruption book so I haven't read that

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

frajaq posted:

After taking a look at them I didn't like any. Some of them have cool ideas here and there about encounters but actually running them sounds lovely. The actual setting, the Screaming Vortex, owns though.

Dunno if by adventure module you meant the Hand of Corruption book so I haven't read that

Yeah I mean the actual hardcover, which I bought at a fire sale. I don't know if I want to run a module or not yet and haven't had time to finish reading all the BC stuff I have.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
I haven't run it, but was considering running it, so I did give Hand a read-through.

It has some pretty big wrinkles - aside from the usual FFG "here's a hilariously contrived reason to start the module" problems, it runs into some pretty big problems concerning Space Marine players, since most of it takes place in Imperium space. It devotes one sentence to what to do with them in Port Wander - which is to tell you to cover them in rags and pretend they're really big servitors. Once you get to the destination, even less is said. For a setting that assumes (or at least -hopes-) that you'll be playing with a mixed party, your CSM players will have to come up with their own fun. They won't be welcome at a lot of the social encounters the book provides.

Of course, that's a problem with the whole game, unless you're in the Screaming Vortex.

It provides a basic skeleton and a few encounters for each major section (getting to the planet, corrupting the planet, keeping the planet), and I think it could run okay as long as the GM's willing to put in a bit more work than you'd really expect to when running a pre-packaged adventure.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It feels like BC would be especially bad for pre-made adventure modules, given how much of BC is about 'The players decide they want to work towards wrecking that guy, and then do it' or 'The players decide they want to work towards getting that thing, and do that.' It's so player driven that the kind of railroading for a pre-made game doesn't feel like it would work, even moreso than most of the 40kRP games.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The idea of Hand of Corruptions owns though, taking over a prison planet and turn inmates to chaos, AND THEN BAD poo poo HAPPENS

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
What Black Crusade needs more than prewritten adventure modules is just a big ol' collection of plot hooks and intriguing ideas for players to pursue.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jolinaxas posted:

It has some pretty big wrinkles - aside from the usual FFG "here's a hilariously contrived reason to start the module" problems, it runs into some pretty big problems concerning Space Marine players, since most of it takes place in Imperium space. It devotes one sentence to what to do with them in Port Wander - which is to tell you to cover them in rags and pretend they're really big servitors. Once you get to the destination, even less is said. For a setting that assumes (or at least -hopes-) that you'll be playing with a mixed party, your CSM players will have to come up with their own fun. They won't be welcome at a lot of the social encounters the book provides.

Aren't space marines in the RPGs tall, but not outlandishly so? They could take off their power armor.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Zereth posted:

Aren't space marines in the RPGs tall, but not outlandishly so? They could take off their power armor.

Or as jolinaxas can attest to in my forum game, grind down the horns Hellboy style and paint your armor Deathwatch. Also just outright posing as a loyalist works too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Werix posted:

Or as jolinaxas can attest to in my forum game, grind down the horns Hellboy style and paint your armor Deathwatch. Also just outright posing as a loyalist works too.

As if the hicks in Habspire 87 would know the difference or really even care one way or the other.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

As if the hicks in Habspire 87 would know the difference or really even care one way or the other.

Obvious mutations might be an issue, but then again some loyalist chapters look pretty freaky themselves so it might not be unless you're totally decked out in Chaos symbols and the like.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Gaghskull posted:

And then my charred husk started shooting my flashlight Long-Las to no avail for the rest of the session.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
As I've said before elsewhere, posing as a Loyalist has its issues, too. They tend not to travel in ones and twos, or with any baseline humans at all that aren't chapter serfs or super-higher-ups like Inquisitors or Planetary Governors. Also, if they're at a place, it's to do some hardcore poo poo. It's not like they have shore leave. So it's not a long-term thing, and just draws a different kind of attention.

Various fluff puts them around 7 1/2 feet, at the shortest. Not so tall that you couldn't -technically- pass them off as a really tall human. But there's only so long you can say "this is my vat-grown bodyguard / suspiciously handsome ogryn friend" before someone with half a clue thinks "That's an Astartes... OH GOD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!"

EDIT: Various bits of fluff I've seen (parts of rpg core/splatbooks, Lexicanum articles, etc.) describe Alpha Legionnaires as being -really good- at passing as human. I haven't read any of the books besides Fulgrim - is it ever described -how?-

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 11, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jolinaxas posted:

EDIT: Various bits of fluff I've seen (parts of rpg core/splatbooks, Lexicanum articles, etc.) describe Alpha Legionnaires as being -really good- at passing as human. I haven't read any of the books besides Fulgrim - is it ever described -how?-

Alpha Legionnaires are shorter and smaller in build than most Astartes, and lack the exaggerated inhuman features most Astartes have. Further muddying the waters is that the Alpha Legion have a significant number of mortal human operatives, some with genetic modifications and potentially even partial Astartes enhancements, who they're not above putting in power armor, painted up as Alpha Legionnaires, and used in situations where the locals wouldn't know the difference.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah, they're def a little smaller.

Plus, y'know, for the same reason World Eaters are good at melee. Subterfuge is just Alpha Legion's thing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, I'm having a great time being able to use Roll20 to set up maps, but there's one problem. I wrote up a bunch of generic sheets for generic foes (Like Guard Light Infantry, Arbite, etc) and while that works for putting tokens down, if I adjust one model's wounds from a hit, it adjusts every token on the field that links that sheet. Is there an easy way to avoid this?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jolinaxas posted:

Various fluff puts them around 7 1/2 feet, at the shortest. Not so tall that you couldn't -technically- pass them off as a really tall human. But there's only so long you can say "this is my vat-grown bodyguard / suspiciously handsome ogryn friend" before someone with half a clue thinks "That's an Astartes... OH GOD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!"
I remember the figures in Deathwatch putting them at more like 6 feet out of armor, but I can't find the book to check at the moment.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Night10194 posted:

So, I'm having a great time being able to use Roll20 to set up maps, but there's one problem. I wrote up a bunch of generic sheets for generic foes (Like Guard Light Infantry, Arbite, etc) and while that works for putting tokens down, if I adjust one model's wounds from a hit, it adjusts every token on the field that links that sheet. Is there an easy way to avoid this?

You can keep track of wounds in the three squares above the tokens when you click 'em. As a GM, you can set them so that only you can see them and your players won't know a thing. It's what I do at least.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Black Crusade is best when you don't take it completely seriously and play up the dark humor. So, there's no reason you can't say the average imperial is too ignorant of Chaos to recognize a Chaos Space Marine from a Loyalist, or come up with other reasons why the disguise works. Make sure that any threats to their disguise are really obvious as well, like if an Inquisitor is going to show up in 3 days, or there's a Deathwatch team here for some reason. Basically, make it something the players can react to, something that puts their plans into danger without just screwing them over.

But yes, the pre-made adventures for Black Crusade are bad, feel free to lift a few ideas from them but don't run them as-is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Astus posted:

Black Crusade is best when you don't take it completely seriously and play up the dark humor. So, there's no reason you can't say the average imperial is too ignorant of Chaos to recognize a Chaos Space Marine from a Loyalist, or come up with other reasons why the disguise works. Make sure that any threats to their disguise are really obvious as well, like if an Inquisitor is going to show up in 3 days, or there's a Deathwatch team here for some reason. Basically, make it something the players can react to, something that puts their plans into danger without just screwing them over.

There's also precedent for it. A lone Night Lord in the book Lord of the Night fakes being a loyalist Marine to build a fanatically loyal army in an underhive that thinks they're following a loyalist Astartes, and it's noted that most Imperials see giant in power armor and think an Astartes. Only a few people in the entire hive realize that they have a Chaos problem even after the Night Lord in question starts performing daemonic rituals.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gaghskull posted:

You can keep track of wounds in the three squares above the tokens when you click 'em. As a GM, you can set them so that only you can see them and your players won't know a thing. It's what I do at least.

Yeah, I'm doing that. I mean when I set out, say, 4 of the same token linked to the Murder Servitor (Melee) sheet I set up, if I take 3 wounds off one token it takes them off the other three since they're linked to the same sheet.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Pariah novel spoilers:

In the case of Alpha Legionnaires, there is precedent in this book, where one doesn't wear his armour and dresses up like an ex-Guard genetically modified soldier. Despite this, he's still considered abnormally large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

MaliciousOnion posted:

Pariah novel spoilers:

In the case of Alpha Legionnaires, there is precedent in this book, where one doesn't wear his armour and dresses up like an ex-Guard genetically modified soldier. Despite this, he's still considered abnormally large.

I...I should read Pariah again, I don't remember that. I only remember the naked Emperor's Children dude and the Word Bearers in the main church right? I may be confusing things