Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
New Calendar really is awesome, maps update seems a little less pronounced, but still pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

api call girl posted:

Google Maps 9.0 with Material Design just hit apkmirror fwiw.

How's it look?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Nintendo Kid posted:

How's it look?

Very Material-y. The Explore button is actually useful now. Gives you suggestions based on category and driving limits (eg I tell it I only want to drive 10 minutes in the Lunch catagory).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

How's it look?

I think I like the new navigation better, but I haven't put it to use yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
When should all these new apps be available on the Play store? I don't need Lollipop run them do I?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
It's the usual staged rollout bullshit, you'll get it anywhere between one minute and two weeks from now.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The new Calendar from apkmirror doesn't update my old Calendar, it just installs alongside it. Weird. Maps and Gmail behaved as expected, I dunno why Calendar doesn't.

Oh well, I'll just wait for the official rollout :sigh:

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

TraderStav posted:

When should all these new apps be available on the Play store? I don't need Lollipop run them do I?

Must of them are for 4.0.3+

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Dunno if it's been posted yet or not, but email inbox@google.com between 3-4PM PST and you'll get your drat invites by 5PM PST.

Link.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

You know what would be really crucial to Google Maps? When I navigate somewhere, if I could download and cache the entire route to my phone. I had Maps take me on a scenic route through middle of nowhere PA and was without service for well over an hour (go TMobile). At some point, it ran out of map, and none could be downloaded. The route pretty much poo poo itself right there and it had no idea where I was in relation to the map. Luckily I have CoPilot GPS on my phone, but honestly. This thing shouldn't just anticipate that it will download more map as it goes.

I hope so. I keep getting group texts, as recently as Nov 3rd, where I do not get the original text, but then I get the responses to it from separate individuals.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 5, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

The new Calendar from apkmirror doesn't update my old Calendar, it just installs alongside it. Weird. Maps and Gmail behaved as expected, I dunno why Calendar doesn't.
This is impossible, they have the same package name so you can't have both installed. What device? The calendar app you already have installed is probably some OEM-provided thing.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
When the Calendar app was first released to the Play store, it was a different package name than the original Google Calendar. He could very well be on an old enough phone/installation.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Tunga posted:

This is impossible, they have the same package name so you can't have both installed. What device? The calendar app you already have installed is probably some OEM-provided thing.

I have the same thing on my droid maxx.. but that was a long while back when Calendar first started to update (before material etc). I had to go in and disable the Moto OEM calendar, which looked just like the google calendar making it hard to disable the right one. I don't know what moto changed, I didnt notice anything different until the updates.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Tunga posted:

It's like this on my phone as well, but I was using the calendar app that came on my HTC One, never installed from the app store. At some point, probably a few months ago they were identical though based on what my other devices also had.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

deong posted:

I have the same thing on my droid maxx.. but that was a long while back when Calendar first started to update (before material etc). I had to go in and disable the Moto OEM calendar, which looked just like the google calendar making it hard to disable the right one. I don't know what moto changed, I didnt notice anything different until the updates.

Honestly, the only thing I noticed that was different was that the app icon would reflect the current day.

Dengraz
Sep 8, 2003
[empty]

deong posted:

I have a 2013 Moto X and when I was looking to download the new version of Calendar, I downloaded "Google Calendar" from the Play Store. I had "Calendar" with Moto's icon and "Calendar" with Google's icon after that. I manually installed the .apk of the new Calendar and they magically merged. YMMV

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Tunga posted:

Moto G LTE. I'll try to look into it.

e. Sure enough, the "Calendar" on my device's not Google Calendar, but something... absolutely identical, only Moto-branded :raise:
Installed Google Calendar from the store, disabled the other Calendar and updated with the apk, everything's fine.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 5, 2014

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

api call girl posted:

Yes. Unless you sideload an app that is normally not available to your device.

Interesting fact about this that I just found out today:

If you sideload an app normally not available for your device, and then the app is later updated to include your device, you'll start getting updates for it in the Play Store.

I sideloaded My Disney Experience - WDW onto my Nexus 7, because it wasn't listed as compatible with anything that wasn't a phone. Today, they updated the app to support tablets up to 7", and it showed up as having an update for me.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

WugLyfe posted:

Dunno if it's been posted yet or not, but email inbox@google.com between 3-4PM PST and you'll get your drat invites by 5PM PST.

Link.

Google's servers are obviously blown up from today's Nexus 6 fiasco. Good job, guys!

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
I installed a whatsapp update today and now everyone can see two ticks on their message to me confirming I read their message and when I did so.

I really do not want this feature at all, and want the freedom to respond to people whenever I want to back. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable it under settings. Anyone know which version should I roll back to to disable this ?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Freezer posted:

I installed a whatsapp update today and now everyone can see two ticks on their message to me confirming I read their message and when I did so.

I really do not want this feature at all, and want the freedom to respond to people whenever I want to back. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable it under settings. Anyone know which version should I roll back to to disable this ?

There should be a way to disable this. You have to untick something called "Show last online time" or similar (my system language's not English so I can only guess what it would be called).

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I know this isn't the rooted thread, but there's probably a xposed module that turns that feature off.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Google's servers are obviously blown up from today's Nexus 6 fiasco. Good job, guys!

Check that email address again.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Mikl posted:

There should be a way to disable this. You have to untick something called "Show last online time" or similar (my system language's not English so I can only guess what it would be called).

Already tried this, but it doesn't seem to do the trick.

Also I can't root the phone as my work's email/calendar app would stop working (much to my disappointment, already tried once).

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Mikl posted:

I believe there is a modded version that does this; Whatsapp+. I don't think it's shady but I may be wrong (or end up being wrong). The other downside is that you'll have to sideload it for every update as it doesn't live in the playstore

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

WugLyfe posted:

Link.

Sent an email when inbox first came out and did it again for this and still nothing. Scroogled again! :argh:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Whizbang posted:

Sent an email when inbox first came out and did it again for this and still nothing. Scroogled again! :argh:

for some reason gmail puts it in your promotion tab, so you probably got one.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

for some reason gmail puts it in your promotion tab, so you probably got one.

I received mine about 45 minutes ago; not quite the 5 PM PST they mentioned.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Tunga posted:

I installed the new calendar on my N5 running the 5.0 preview. It did not replace stock calendar. There are two icons in the app drawer. In fact I get two notifications now for events, one with the stock calendar icon and one with the new calendar icon.

New calendar *looks* better, but I have yet to truly test out any features beyond "add/edit event."

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nocal posted:

I installed the new calendar on my N5 running the 5.0 preview. It did not replace stock calendar. There are two icons in the app drawer. In fact I get two notifications now for events, one with the stock calendar icon and one with the new calendar icon.

New calendar *looks* better, but I have yet to truly test out any features beyond "add/edit event."

That's because the L preview doesn't have the google calendar natively, its the AOSP calendar from before they divorced it into the Play Store.

Deadlink
Aug 18, 2003
Va Va Voom bought me this account, what a fine gentlemen he is

uapyro posted:

I received mine about 45 minutes ago; not quite the 5 PM PST they mentioned.

I sent them an email pretty early on and another one for that "happy hour" thing, though I only read about that about an hour after it was over. got the invite a few hours ago. :iiam:

gotta say though, inbox has potential. now I just have to get used to this thing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love that everyone is replying to me with claims that Google Calendar didn't replace their installed version of Not Google Calendar as if that isn't exactly what I said was happening in the very post that they are quoting.

Android apps are really simple, they have a package name. Same package name = update. Different package name = separate install.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

grilldos posted:

Yup, which is why I left it out and mentioned that I shouldn't have high hopes.

If they can bridge Keep with Inbox/Calendar/Now on both web and phone and get sharing Keep's notes/lists working, that's a hell of a good/polished/modern overlapping app platform that should have been set up right after Google's big privacy policy revision scare.

I haven't gotten the new Calendar apk yet, is the way sharing works on that a good solution that Keep could make use of?
I can't get Inbox or Now reminders to show in either Calendar and it certainly doesn't show them on the web.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Deadlink posted:

I sent them an email pretty early on and another one for that "happy hour" thing, though I only read about that about an hour after it was over. got the invite a few hours ago. :iiam:

gotta say though, inbox has potential. now I just have to get used to this thing.

This article really gave me my 'ah-hah' moment. Especially the ability to create custom bundles.

http://lifehacker.com/how-googles-new-inbox-works-and-changes-how-you-approa-1652303148

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

LastInLine posted:

I can't get Inbox or Now reminders to show in either Calendar and it certainly doesn't show them on the web.
Now reminders show up in the new Calendar for me, they've all had specific times set though, not sure if that makes any difference.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

How the gently caress do I forward an email in inbox? I swear I'm not retarded but I can only see how to reply.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Hit the three dot menu button on the top-right of e-mail you want to forward.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

grilldos posted:

Hit the three dot menu button on the top-right of e-mail you want to forward.

The 3 dot menu for me is a "move to" shortcut.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ahh i figured it out. You have to scroll down to the bottom of the email, and there's a -> arrow to the bottom right you press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Are you talking about the web app in the Android app thread?

• Locked thread