Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

Really? I know that movie was dark but I didn't take the ending as anything other than sincere. When the movie's entire conceit explodes so does the tone.

Could you clarify what you mean by "sincere" in this context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It shows that life actually can survive on the planet.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 5, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

It shows that life actually can survive on the planet.

Life, sure, but I didn't get the sense that human life was included in that. I don't think that makes the movie or its ending insincere though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Life, sure, but I didn't get the sense that human life was included in that. I don't think that makes the movie or its ending insincere though.

Hey man, life, uh, finds a way. :smug:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Death of the author, blah blah blah but:

quote:

They have no memory of what it's like to be on the Earth. For them to procreate, it's going to take a little time. So, for me, it's a very hopeful ending ... But those two kids will spread the human race ... I don't really feel everyone must die. I hope there were other survivors who lived through the avalanche, I just didn't have the means to shoot that ... You realize later on that the kids are the ones keeping this engine going, and this machinery intact. The engine is itself is on its way to extinction along with cigarettes, and other goods. Extinction is a repeated word throughout the film. But outside the train, life is actually returning. It's nature that's eternal, and not the train or the engine, as you see with the polar bear at the end.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 5, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i mean what i basically got out of the ending is now they're stuck in the movie Alive, but with nobody to come and rescue them.

but there is a glimmer of optimism in the polar bear, that life will go on in some form and the world is still a beautiful place, more beautiful than the train.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i mean what i basically got out of the ending is now they're stuck in the movie Alive, but with nobody to come and rescue them.

but there is a glimmer of optimism in the polar bear, that life will go on in some form and the world is still a beautiful place, more beautiful than the train.

I thought it was pretty optimistic. They have plenty of food, both fresh and non perishable,water, lots of clothes, and a huge as gently caress shelter. Plus the climate seems to be warming up quite rapidly. Also tail sectioners have become experts at survival.

Mister Nobody fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 5, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mister Nobody posted:

I thought it was pretty optimistic. they have plenty of food, both fresh and non perishable,water, lots of clothes, and a huge as gently caress shelter.

Do they, though? That crash looked like it hosed a lot of that poo poo up, including the shelter part

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

If the 2010s haven't been working out for you so far, say gently caress it and pretend it's 1992 again because Batman, Batman Returns, and the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were all just added.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Do they, though? That crash looked like it hosed a lot of that poo poo up, including the shelter part

At the very least wilford had some chow stashed away, but your right the cars get separated and some get outright pulverized by falling down a mountain. Hopefully Yona has some inherited Inuit instincts.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Well they both grew up on a train and have literally never been outside before in their life. So I'm guessing they're not really prepared for survival in a hellish snowscape populated by ice bears.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean the face-value interpretation of the the planet warming back up, some people surviving the explosion that are the opposite sex, and the polar bear being framed majestically, not threateningly.

And I'm not really going to argue about the actual logistics of their likelihood to survive. I thought the last 3 pages established that's a pretty dumb line of reasoning.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It's really weird and confusing that there's currently a discussion about the ending of Snowpiercer going on in both Netflix threads.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

I mean the face-value interpretation of the the planet warming back up, some people surviving the explosion that are the opposite sex, and the polar bear being framed majestically, not threateningly.

And I'm not really going to argue about the actual logistics of their liklihood to survive. I thought the last 3 pages established that's a pretty dumb line of reasoning.

i agree that the polar bear was filmed majestically, but i saw that as implying that nature itself is majestic, and will go on just fine without man.

also i just tend to be uncomfortable with "repopulate the earth" fantasies because they seem to imply "sure, let's just rape all the women"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

also i just tend to be uncomfortable with "repopulate the earth" fantasies because they seem to imply "sure, let's just rape all the women"

That seems...outside the text.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 5, 2014

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

coyo7e posted:

Well, except for the fact that it left several stuntmen out of a job.

Really? I thought because of union rules or whatever they still had to hire them, they just didn't use them? I am probably just remembering a story really incorrectly about some action movie where the main actors refused to let the stunt double do the work because they wanted to do it themselves so the stunt people were getting paid to stand around.

Edit: oh yeah, I forgot this was the Snowpiercer thread so here's my critical opinion: I liked it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i agree that the polar bear was filmed majestically, but i saw that as implying that nature itself is majestic, and will go on just fine without man.

I know that I wasn't the only one who, as soon as they saw the polar bear, said to themselves, "PleaseslidedownthemountainandgivethemaCokePleeeeaseslidedownthemountainandgivethemaCoke."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

That seems...outside the text.

Could be, but it always seems to be the unspoken implication of those scenarios so they make me feel very icky.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Could be, but it always seems to be the unspoken implication

...are you Dennis?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I sat through the entirety of Snowpiercer (it took two sittings) and it's garbage. Utter garbage. Even John Hurt looks ashamed, and that man's been in some shite films.

5th element is also terrible, but at least it's interesting to watch.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

...are you Dennis?

now all I can think about is that bit where he tries to lure the weather lady down to his bunker "for the good of the race"

stickyfngrdboy posted:

5th element is also terrible,

who the hell are these people that don't like the Fifth Element?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

now all I can think about is that bit where he tries to lure the weather lady down to his bunker "for the good of the race"

who the hell are these people that don't like the Fifth Element?

I dont think I said I didn't like it, in fact, I'm sure I didn't. It is, however, garbage.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Erebus posted:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Legitimately one of my favorite movies of all time. I own it on DVD, but will probably watch it for the Xth time on Netflix just because.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Could be, but it always seems to be the unspoken implication of those scenarios so they make me feel very icky.

Not even unspoken in some films (Dr Strangelove).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So is Snowpiercer the new Children of Men? Are goons going to take out an ad for the movie asking for Academy Award consideration?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The original TMNT movie is definitely better than the new TMNT movie. I can't believe how well those costumes hold up. The new movie even directly ripped a scene from the old one (slice of pizza landing on Splinter's face).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

So is Snowpiercer the new Children of Men? Are goons going to take out an ad for the movie asking for Academy Award consideration?

i enjoyed it but it's not even in my top ten of the year and i think it's Bong Joon-Ho's worst film.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
They could just eat the corpses.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I haven't seen snowpeircer yet but I'm already sick of it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

beanieson posted:

I haven't seen snowpeircer yet but I'm already sick of it.
It's not even that good. Goons are just overhyping the gently caress out of it.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I don't even think anyone's over hyping it. I think that a few people had an argument and snowpiercer got caught in the middle

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This thread made me sick of Snowpiercer, and I loving loved Snowpiercer.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This thread made me sick of Snowpiercer, and I loving loved Snowpiercer.

Ah, it's The Matrix Effect all over again.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

coyo7e posted:

So if you replace all the technology with *magic* it's exactly the same and thus must be a fantasy? What about still-suits?

It's just mostly fantasy very little actual sciency stuff that might work.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Magnus Gallant posted:

I don't even think anyone's over hyping it. I think that a few people had an argument and snowpiercer got caught in the middle

Actually that's what started it, I said I didn't like it and somebody tried to say it was the perfect film.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Honestly who cares about a specific persons ideas of how genres work? It's one person the world will continue to spin if he doesn't think snowpiercer is sci-fi

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

MadMattH posted:

Actually that's what started it, I said I didn't like it and somebody tried to say it was the perfect film.

Oh well no film is perfect.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Everybody knows the perfect film is The Lion King. Tell me one loving thing wrong with that movie. Also, Die Hard is a close second.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Magnus Gallant posted:

Oh well no film is perfect.

It's a Wonderful Life, Au Hasard Balthazar, Pier Paolo Pasolini's Oedipus Rex, Terror of Mechagodzilla, The Wild Child, Days of Heaven, Miller's Crossing, Dazed & Confused, and Moulin Rouge! are all "perfect," so, no.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Everybody knows the perfect film is The Lion King. Tell me one loving thing wrong with that movie.

That it's Nietzchean, racist propaganda for little kids. And not even the good kind, like Bambi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Magnus Gallant posted:

Honestly who cares about a specific persons ideas of how genres work? It's one person the world will continue to spin if he doesn't think snowpiercer is sci-fi
It's not like I have power over Hollywood or something.

If it makes anyone feel any better Netflix doesn't agree with me either and often suggests movies I definitely wouldn't like. For example, I liked the movie Slap Shot, but now Netflix seems to think I will like all movies about any sport at all.

It does suggest that I wouldn't like something like Zulu that I certainly do like.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Everybody knows the perfect film is The Lion King. Tell me one loving thing wrong with that movie. Also, Die Hard is a close second.

For more pile on, I didn't like The Lion King. The music was cheesy as poo poo.

• Locked thread