Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

jivjov posted:

There's a different weapon in the DLC pack. The Spinner is unrelated to the other DLC stuff.

It's only "unrelated" because they decided "hey let's use this to make people buy these dumb toys"

I was really hoping amiibos were just going to be a thing for kids to pester their parents to buy for them and I could ignore them entirely, so finding out that there's content I might actually want locked away behind one of these things is disappointing. Nintendo were doing so well with their approach to dlc, too. :(

Edit: everything else in the Direct was awesome, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The mystery of what exactly Burning DK is continues.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/BurNIng

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Suaimhneas posted:

It's only "unrelated" because they decided "hey let's use this to make people buy these dumb toys"

I was really hoping amiibos were just going to be a thing for kids to pester their parents to buy for them and I could ignore them entirely, so finding out that there's content I might actually want locked away behind one of these things is disappointing. Nintendo were doing so well with their approach to dlc, too. :(

Edit: everything else in the Direct was awesome, though

You can ignore it entirely if you want. You're still getting exactly the content promised with the DLC Pack. This is another, different, separate thing.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

greatn posted:

Haha, who the hell is going to buy 20 minutes of video for $5? Nintendo you do not know how much video content is worth, you are silly.

Me... I am that person.

:mario:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

Me... I am that person.

:mario:

Me too.

I mean I'm only gonna buy one, not both of them, but I love Pikmin and I want to watch these so I don't mind throwing 5 bucks at it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

jivjov posted:

You can ignore it entirely if you want. You're still getting exactly the content promised with the DLC Pack. This is another, different, separate thing.

He wants the other, separate thing without having to pay almost two-DLC packs worth of money just for the one weapon he wants. Paying 13 dollars for one weapon is something the person does not want to do, but that weapon is very desirable, and fits the theme of other DLC he paid 20 dollars for, and would like to either have that weapon included in the DLC he paid for already, or as a separate and much, much cheaper thing than a fourteen dollar figure.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Also, seriously, anyone complaining about content being gated behind using an Amiibo...THAT'S LITERALLY THE ENTIRE POINT OF THAT PRODUCT LINE! Buy a little plastic figure, unlock poo poo in game. I, for one, am happy that we're getting substantial content. I was afraid it'd be Miiverse Stamps or somesuch.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I wonder if they're going to produce a higher number of the Link ones (and the other ones that actually do useful things in other games)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You sure defend Nintendo alot.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

jivjov posted:

Also, seriously, anyone complaining about content being gated behind using an Amiibo...THAT'S LITERALLY THE ENTIRE POINT OF THAT PRODUCT LINE! Buy a little plastic figure, unlock poo poo in game. I, for one, am happy that we're getting substantial content. I was afraid it'd be Miiverse Stamps or somesuch.

my problem is it's good content that i want.... and i have to pay money for it!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Amiibo seems kinda like a double-edged sword for me. If they don't do to much they're pointless but if they actually have substantial content my wallet will cry because I will want to have them all, which is not financially stable.

What i'm most worried about is whether these first amiibos will really work across the entirety of the WiiU's lifespan. Like, i'm worried they'll release a second Link amiibo to commemorate Zelda U and that the old one won't work on newer games. Which would kind of suck.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
amiibos seem to be aimed at three groups: kids, people who want a dumb lil nintendy man on a shelf and stupid nerds who cant stand the thought of not having everything, and it's cool to see that third group get mad about having to buy a toy to get a ride on top in a video game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really just don't need another weapon for Link in HW (especially for that price) so I'm just glad there continues be no reason for me to get an Amiibo.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

jivjov posted:

Also, seriously, anyone complaining about content being gated behind using an Amiibo...THAT'S LITERALLY THE ENTIRE POINT OF THAT PRODUCT LINE!

oh well that makes it all better then, thanks.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

jivjov posted:

I thought the literal point was AI Buddies to play games with, since that's what they do in Smash and we didn't get any info on them until an hour ago :/ a little AI buddy that unlocks costumes is fine, but having a whole moveset for Link locked behind an Amiibo is too much because I just want a Captain Falcon toy, now I'd have to buy a different one for that content.

Hopefully it'll be like preorder costumes and you can just buy the spinner separately.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They'll work the way the other Smash amiibos work in Hyrule Warriors, ie they'll give you generic inessential bonuses that probably aren't worth the effort to unlock.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm completely fine with Amiibo's as long as they don't do like a series 2 or something where I have to buy a different Link because my original Link no longer unlocks goodies in games.

You can get a free Amiibo in the US if you pre-order Smash from Toys R Us, so I don't see what the big deal is.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

katkillad2 posted:

I'm completely fine with Amiibo's as long as they don't do like a series 2 or something where I have to buy a different Link because my original Link no longer unlocks goodies in games.

You can get a free Amiibo in the US if you pre-order Smash from Toys R Us, so I don't see what the big deal is.

That deal is online only, getting an Amiibo for free is worth much less to me than picking up the game on launch.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

irlZaphod posted:

No Diddy Kong, No Sale

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A Diddy costume is just a cap, dude.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I'm gonna buy a ton of amiibos because they're sweet.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm fine with it because I don't need to have the spinner, and if I get a Link Amiibo down the line it'll just be a nice bonus.

I seriously see no problem with this unless you're one of those dudes who HAS TO OWN EVERY BIT OF CONTENT IN GAME or something.

Edit: If it's a new map entirely, new character entirely, or something insane I'd see a problem. As it is a weapon for a character who already has like 7 who cares.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I too am surprised that Nintendo's answer to Skylanders operates in a similar manner to Skylanders. I can't believe you people are defending this assault on the fabric of our society.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
yes yes yes the Splatoon singleplayer uses its mechanics for cool platforming YES YES YES

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A Diddy costume is just a cap, dude.
That's racist.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

axleblaze posted:

You sure defend Nintendo alot.

Yes. Yes I do.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm fine with it because I don't need to have the spinner, and if I get a Link Amiibo down the line it'll just be a nice bonus.

I seriously see no problem with this unless you're one of those dudes who HAS TO OWN EVERY BIT OF CONTENT IN GAME or something.

Edit: If it's a new map entirely, new character entirely, or something insane I'd see a problem. As it is a weapon for a character who already has like 7 who cares.

If it wasn't the spinner i wouldn't be this riled up about it. But it's the spinner.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

irlZaphod posted:

I too am surprised that Nintendo's answer to Skylanders operates in a similar manner to Skylanders. I can't believe you people are defending this assault on the fabric of our society.

It doesn't, though? Like, the whole figurine gimmick is supposed involve putting your characters into the game but most of the Amiibo stuff they've announced is eReader 2.0 poo poo that's barely relevant to the figurine, it's not hard to figure out why people are annoyed by it.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I hope they have Splatoon amiibos cause I want a little squid kid on my desk

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

katkillad2 posted:

Yeah, if buying a Link figure gets you Zelda-themed DLC in nearly every Amiibo-enabled game Nintendo releases then the $13 seems like a good deal? But that's sort of a gamble. Not a very expensive gamble :shrug:

I get why people would be annoyed about this, though.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

yes yes yes the Splatoon singleplayer uses its mechanics for cool platforming YES YES YES

I KNOW ITS SO GOOD LOOKING

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It doesn't, though? Like, the whole figurine gimmick is supposed involve putting your characters into the game but most of the Amiibo stuff they've announced is eReader 2.0 poo poo that's barely relevant to the figurine, it's not hard to figure out why people are annoyed by it.
Skylanders locks content that requires specific figures to unlock.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just love how one day Nintendo decided big band jazz would officially be their musical genre.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Crossposting

quote:

The Goku Snakeway Dragon Driftway track looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyQiK6urJ7g

Tanooki Mario turns into stone during his figures.

edit: Mute City https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Qm6iV8G_8

Excitebike arena https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6vht5hAv9w

Hyrule Circuit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcDnxthRzFM

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Calaveron posted:

I just love how one day Nintendo decided big band jazz would officially be their musical genre.

Yeah, I may or may not ahve fist-pumped a bit when the music for the Mario Kart Mute City track started

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah, if buying a Link figure gets you Zelda-themed DLC in nearly every Amiibo-enabled game Nintendo releases then the $13 seems like a good deal? But that's sort of a gamble. Not a very expensive gamble :shrug:

I get why people would be annoyed about this, though.

Link right now is the best Amiibo to get, Figure Player in Smash 4, Spinner in Hyrule Warriors, Costume in Mario Kart 8.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Calaveron posted:

I love it too. The soundtracks have been getting better and better recently.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Has the direct been uploaded anywhere? I'd like to watch it now that I'm home from work!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Here's everything from the NOE video:
-Iwata's looking gaunt...

Thanks! Really appreciate this. The post after your's is literally the "Nintendo take my money" post that was joked about earlier.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Wildtortilla posted:

Has the direct been uploaded anywhere? I'd like to watch it now that I'm home from work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkXmABkDlNE NA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ8T0u1n4Bc EU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Kurtofan posted:

MK8 DLC videos

That

these are

I can't deal with this, I need to go spend money on that DLC right now