Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
Dwarves are taller than hobbits who are taller than gnomes. Dwarves usually end up a a head and a half, maybe two shorter than the average fantasy human. They're more stocky/rotund than short most of the time.

That's hardly universal across fantasy universes of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Lotish posted:

fem dwarfs seem a lot less stocky than before.

I mean at this point that's not a dwarf; it's a hobbit.
She looks like she's got the same walk animation as the human woman so that may be part of the reason for the redesign.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Josef bugman posted:

What video is that from?

Also, yeah it does look a bit different from "same body type but without a beard" thing that Branka and a lot of Dwarf ladies had in Origins, but its not like they are adding in horns which were only hinted at before.

Looks like it's from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbg81hh_bDA

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hot drat. Just in case there are any more of you, Back a while ago I pre-ordered DA3 for 59.99 at GMG.

Recently I saw that they were selling it for $47.99, so I asked them what was up and they went and credited me the difference.

If any of you preordered a while back for anything above that current price, be sure to submit a support ticket politely asking to credit your account for the difference. It took them three hours to get back to me saying they had done that.

I now, thanks to playfire, have gotten DA3 completely for free. For all their bumps in the road, GMG is pretty cool, I'll give them that.

Now I gotta figure out what to use that credit on...Maybe Shadow of Mordor or some other game'll be on sale soon.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 6, 2014

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I just recently started playing around with the Keep, and it's kind of funny how many decisions that seemed pretty big got left out. You would think whether or not you sacrificed the elven slaves would be a bigger deal than how you managed to get food for the prisoner at Ostagar, and killing the evil noble rapist guy in the City Elf origin seemed like a big deal at the time. It also looks like a lot of the companions from Awakening (the psychotic keeper lady and the dwarf lady at least,) are going to quietly drop off the face of Thedas and never get mentioned again.

Probably for the best.

I'm a little sad future games will never acknowledge my 'choice' to beat the big unwinnable fight with Ser Cauthrian and skip Fort Drakon completely. That was one of my favorite accomplishments in Origins.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Blastedhellscape posted:

I just recently started playing around with the Keep, and it's kind of funny how many decisions that seemed pretty big got left out. You would think whether or not you sacrificed the elven slaves would be a bigger deal than how you managed to get food for the prisoner at Ostagar, and killing the evil noble rapist guy in the City Elf origin seemed like a big deal at the time. It also looks like a lot of the companions from Awakening (the psychotic keeper lady and the dwarf lady at least,) are going to quietly drop off the face of Thedas and never get mentioned again.

Probably for the best.

I'm a little sad future games will never acknowledge my 'choice' to beat the big unwinnable fight with Ser Cauthrian and skip Fort Drakon completely. That was one of my favorite accomplishments in Origins.

To be fair, all of those choices were 10 years earlier, THEDAS time.

And why the hell would you beat Ser Cauthrian and avoid the fort when you could kill her, get the Summer Sword, lose to the rest of her men, run through the fort, kill her again and get another summer sword or just convince her that you're a badass, and then be all 'yeah, baby, I'm da bes."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Thanks!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blastedhellscape posted:

Probably for the best.

There are some really weird priorities in decisions that the Keep follows. You'd think that Velanna would have shown up again given her sister is one of the Architect's followers and she usually mysteriously disappears according to the end slides. More proof that she was probably supposed to take Anders' role in DAII, I guess.

Meanwhile, the Warden heroically deciding to ignore some loser knight's duel challenge is preserved.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 6, 2014

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Looks like DA:I started as a multiplayer only which I'm not too sure how I feel about now.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-age-inquisition-began-as-a-multiplayer-only/1100-6423362/

I mean it makes me really stoked to play MP, but it really makes me wonder about single player.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think as long as you temper your expectations with a Bioware appropriate level of concern (characters, main plot, dialogue) it'll probably be perfectly serviceable.

But yeah, bring on that MP and twenty free DLCs.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
What's wrong with it starting off as a multiplayer game? Not like it's gonna effect anything outside of the combat mechanics, and they've had 3 years to fill in the blanks.

Hell, I'm looking forward to the multiplayer considering how good ME3's was.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

MadJackMcJack posted:

What's wrong with it starting off as a multiplayer game? Not like it's gonna effect anything outside of the combat mechanics, and they've had 3 years to fill in the blanks.

It's just a little troubleing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

Video games that generally start off as a thing and then morph significantly to another (or have other bits tacked on) tend to be lackluster in the extra bits, pretty much as a rule. It's possible they hadn't actually done anything yet before they really go to work on the game but it's a reason for concern.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

From that article I'm a little concerned about how much emphasis was put on following Skyrim. Nothing against Skyrim itself, but there's a danger in trying too hard to be a wanna-be to completely different series.

It also feels worryingly similar to the change of direction in Mass Effect 3 with all the "Take Back Earth" nonsense to appeal to non-Mass Effect players.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm starting to think Bioware has no loving clue how to handle anything that isn't the first game in an IP.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm starting to think Bioware has no loving clue how to handle anything that isn't the first game in an IP.

Mass Effect 2 was good. :colbert: It just ended up adding basically nothing to the series' plot.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Here is Stovetop posted:

Looks like DA:I started as a multiplayer only which I'm not too sure how I feel about now.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-age-inquisition-began-as-a-multiplayer-only/1100-6423362/

I mean it makes me really stoked to play MP, but it really makes me wonder about single player.

relax. i'm pretty sure that decision was made way back in the concept phase, before anything was even the core gameplay had been decided for certain. this isn't going to be the CoD of RPGs.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

Mass Effect 2 was good. :colbert: It just ended up adding basically nothing to the series' plot.

Until further evidence I'm going to consider that the exception.

I'm so ready for Skyrim: Bioware Edition

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm impressed there's at least actual Orlais content as well as decent multiplayer. Sure, there's likely going to be a failure in characterization and other aspects somewhere, but maybe a miracle will occur and BioWare will actually have a good idea at starting with the strongest part of ME3 and work backwards.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Meis posted:

relax. i'm pretty sure that decision was made way back in the concept phase, before anything was even the core gameplay had been decided for certain. this isn't going to be the CoD of RPGs.

Right. They said it was just the tech that was built out at first.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Right. They said it was just the tech that was built out at first.

yeah. that kind of change is only a problem if it's made relatively late in development.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Baldur's Gate 2 was better than the original, although we're going way back for that.

I'm interested now in just how deep the influences of Skyrim go in DA:I. Bethesda's style of RPGs are close to polar opposites to Bioware - they're more about non-linear exploration and doing little side-quests and their characterisation and plot has always been piss-poor. If DA:I just adds the exploration element (much like Baldur's Gate had) then that might work great but following Skyrim seems a complete reversal from their direction of going towards more structured, character driven RPGs.

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Trapezium Dave posted:

Baldur's Gate 2 was better than the original, although we're going way back for that.

As long as we are going back that far, MDK2 was great, too.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Wtf is wrong with Mother Gizzel's mouth at 3:32? :raise:

KoB
May 1, 2009

MadJackMcJack posted:

Hopefully it at least means the combat is super solid.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cythereal posted:

I dunno; I've been trying to play through 2 again lately, and I'm starting to notice some really lovely gameplay changes even from 1, the big one being the decision to bind sprint, cover and interact to the same key (and not let you split those functions on the PC.) That combined with an increased emphasis on utilizing cover to mitigate damage means that you can pretty easily get killed by trying to sprint into cover and instead finding yourself trying to hack a door or something similarly asinine. It's got some other, less damning problems, but that's the one that makes me least enthused about playing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

No.44 posted:

Wtf is wrong with Mother Gizzel's mouth at 3:32? :raise:

Bioware Face Technology / general halfassery.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Meis posted:

Now that you've said, it will actually happen.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Keeshhound posted:

I dunno; I've been trying to play through 2 again lately, and I'm starting to notice some really lovely gameplay changes even from 1, the big one being the decision to bind sprint, cover and interact to the same key (and not let you split those functions on the PC.) That combined with an increased emphasis on utilizing cover to mitigate damage means that you can pretty easily get killed by trying to sprint into cover and instead finding yourself trying to hack a door or something similarly asinine. It's got some other, less damning problems, but that's the one that makes me least enthused about playing.

Literally never encountered this and am playing ME2 for the second time immediately after beating ME1. The original is so much worse than the second in so many ways it is mind boggling. You need to be:

1. Insane
2. Trolling
3. Stupid

to consider ME1 better.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Jesus Christ the Trolls are fighting each other for territory. You've got to pay the troll toll.

Darth Windu posted:

Now that you've said, it will actually happen.

'Press X to choose ending'

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 6, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Drifter posted:

^^^ - Jesus Christ the Trolls are fighting each other for territory. You've got to pay the troll toll.

Darth Windu's beneath me, but if other people like having multiple functions hardbound to one input, more power to them. I find it irritating. Most keyboards have over 100 keys, is it so much to ask that developers use them when porting from consoles?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Keeshhound posted:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Tweaks_(Mass_Effect_2)#Bind_Storm_To_A_Different_Key_Than_Use.2FCover

You can pretty easily mod out most of the minor annoyances in ME2/3. PC Race, Master Race.

Disclaimer: Backup your poo poo, use Notepad++ the coalsced editor, probably read at least the basics on that page, etc. etc.

Archimago fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 6, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Keeshhound posted:

Darth Windu's beneath me, but if other people like having multiple functions hardbound to one input, more power to them. I find it irritating. Most keyboards have over 100 keys, is it so much to ask that developers use them when porting from consoles?

Now now, you know how programers are scared of effort, let alone the likes of BioWare.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
So i was able to get past the early stuff in DAO thanks to the nice goons in this thread. I reworked all their tactics and they worked really well for the bandits/redcliff defense, i was able to sail through it. However i hit a brick wall, when i went into the redcliff castle. I even bumped the games difficulty down to easy, my guys are all level ~9, and wearing tier 3-4 gear, Alistar, Sten, Morrigan and my PC. Basically when you open a door, you get a dozen+ or so undead (Shambling and a bunch of enraged corpses) charging at you, even worse is about half way through the battle a group of 6 mabari hounds joins and they just knock my guys over and chew on them while the undead proceed to kill your party.

I have tried running all the way back to the start of the level and all the enemies still slowly file in. I have tried traps, acid bombs, micro managing the entire party, having morrigan dump paralysis stuff, it is just the sheer volume of the enemies that seems to cause most of the CC stuff be useless.

I have been stuck on this for over an hour and i am completely at a loss. Since none of the guides ever mention those hounds being anything other than a minor annoyance.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Are you sure you dropped the difficulty to easy? Because the only fight I couldn't beat on easy by just controlling my own character and spamming warrior abilites was the High Dragon.

And all I had to do to beat that was adjust Wynne's tactics so that she would use mana potions.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

UberJumper posted:

So i was able to get past the early stuff in DAO thanks to the nice goons in this thread. I reworked all their tactics and they worked really well for the bandits/redcliff defense, i was able to sail through it. However i hit a brick wall, when i went into the redcliff castle. I even bumped the games difficulty down to easy, my guys are all level ~9, and wearing tier 3-4 gear, Alistar, Sten, Morrigan and my PC. Basically when you open a door, you get a dozen+ or so undead (Shambling and a bunch of enraged corpses) charging at you, even worse is about half way through the battle a group of 6 mabari hounds joins and they just knock my guys over and chew on them while the undead proceed to kill your party.

I have tried running all the way back to the start of the level and all the enemies still slowly file in. I have tried traps, acid bombs, micro managing the entire party, having morrigan dump paralysis stuff, it is just the sheer volume of the enemies that seems to cause most of the CC stuff be useless.

I have been stuck on this for over an hour and i am completely at a loss. Since none of the guides ever mention those hounds being anything other than a minor annoyance.
Sounds like you aren't able to kite the enemies. Put your party around the corner, make them hold in place (with Sten and Alistair in front, of course), and have Morrigan cast an AOE (preferably a slowing one, like Earthquake/Blizzard/Grease) from as far away as possible in the room you know the enemies are in (since in tactical mode you don't have to be in the room or even open the door to do it, I think). Then have her immediately run and hide behind the rest of your party while the assholes in the other room flail around and eventually get to the door. Alternately, you could have Morrigan cast that in front of the door while a stealthed rogue opens the door and fires an arrow, then runs back.

Also, make sure to kill the "enraged" and "devouring" corpses first. That usually helps. The mabari are assholes because of their takedown ability, so just make sure to have Morrigan heal whoever gets Overwhelmed, since they won't be able to use potions.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Or jus cheat and give yourself god mode :shrug:

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Orv posted:

Dwarves are taller than hobbits who are taller than gnomes. Dwarves usually end up a a head and a half, maybe two shorter than the average fantasy human. They're more stocky/rotund than short most of the time.

That's hardly universal across fantasy universes of course.

I seem to remember that in DA:O/2, Dwarves were the shortest, then elves, then humans.

Man I hope this game's good. I've been hankerin' for a good 'ol Bioware RPG after Mass Effect 3. Any game where you can make your own dude and then also make your dude a snarky rear end in a top hat makes it immediately more awesome to me. Hell I actually really liked DA2 because there was a specific "snarky rear end in a top hat" response to just about everything anybody said to you.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Archimago posted:

Also, only console peasants shop at Gamestop. You, sir, are a race traitor.

Where else can I piecemeal pay off my Limited Collectors Edition of Witcher 3? Granted, my nephew now works at Walmart in the electronics department so I can abuse his 10% discount and not deal with Gamestop employees but when I have half a dozen games coming out I want to pay off in advance I simply gird my loins and armour my intellect with the "nothing is true" mantra.

Also I can't stand French people but Leliana's accent makes me hard.

GreatGreen posted:

I for one think that accent wasn't nearly French enough because the actor clearly did not start literally every sentence with "Aw haw haw" and he didn't even say "wine" at least seven times.

Also the guy wasn't wearing a beret and black and white horizontally striped shirt so yeah, definitely not French.

You sir think exactly the way I do, I mock the French incessantly with the "au-hawhawhaw" laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

paragon1 posted:

Are you sure you dropped the difficulty to easy? Because the only fight I couldn't beat on easy by just controlling my own character and spamming warrior abilites was the High Dragon.

And all I had to do to beat that was adjust Wynne's tactics so that she would use mana potions.

Yes i am sure, in the options menu the difficulty is set to easy. I am somewhat at a loss and don't really understand why the game feels so much more difficult than when i first played.

Stroop There It Is posted:

Sounds like you aren't able to kite the enemies. Put your party around the corner, make them hold in place (with Sten and Alistair in front, of course), and have Morrigan cast an AOE (preferably a slowing one, like Earthquake/Blizzard/Grease) from as far away as possible in the room you know the enemies are in (since in tactical mode you don't have to be in the room or even open the door to do it, I think). Then have her immediately run and hide behind the rest of your party while the assholes in the other room flail around and eventually get to the door. Alternately, you could have Morrigan cast that in front of the door while a stealthed rogue opens the door and fires an arrow, then runs back.

Also, make sure to kill the "enraged" and "devouring" corpses first. That usually helps. The mabari are assholes because of their takedown ability, so just make sure to have Morrigan heal whoever gets Overwhelmed, since they won't be able to use potions.

Morrigan is a few hundred XP from level 9, so the only spell i could add to her was the paralysis one (since i recall the combination being extremely useful). She doesn't have any heals, or blizzard, grease, or earthquake.

See the thing is i shoot an arrow at one of them they all the doors immediately fly open and they all start chasing me. Which still brings 12+ undead, the dogs have a really weird tendency to burst out and charge my party even if we are on the otherside of the level which makes me wonder if it is scripted.

• Locked thread