Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Eric Frein did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

RyokoTK posted:

video games are better than anime

what about anime video games?

also that Splatoon campaign looks rad as hell

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pikmin videos update - they're insanely cute

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Pikmin demo update - it's pretty long. It also makes me wish I took Pikmin as my free game with Mario Kart.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Kissing Dad posted:

So I'm trucking along playing ZombieU thinking this game is great and then I get to the antibiotics mission.

:stare:

Game owns

yes

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Hello. Swapper releases today, or just released. I don't know, it's 4am. I finished my review of it, and it'll be available here: http://youtu.be/RQ2R0AcLuAs (1080p soon)

tl;dr - unique puzzling, tricksy and satisfying. Reminiscent of those nice quiet science fiction movies with kind of creepy plots, it's pretty hard to tl;dr, I liked it a lot. It's pretty expensive though! :10bux: (x2)

TheRam fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 6, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There is a :20bux: smiley.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Watched the Nintendo direct, and it was awesome except for Iwata. He lost so much weight that the suit didn't fit him. :(

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I heard that he is dead :/

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP

There's a Japanese twitter for Splatoon now. So far, it's only talked about mechanics, but I love how every tweet after the very first one is prefaced with イカ研究所からの調査報告だ, or "This is an investigation report from the Squid Institute".

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kissing Dad posted:

So I'm trucking along playing ZombieU thinking this game is great and then I get to the antibiotics mission.

:stare:

Game owns

As with all exclusives on the Wii U, ZombiU loving owns.

For anyone of you who haven't bought ZombiU: Buy ZombiU or go to hell.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

whaley posted:

I heard that he is dead :/
Weekend at Satoru's, direct.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

jivjov posted:

I don't see how anything amiibo are being used for is any different than Skylanders or Disney Infinity. You buy a piece of plastic, you get some in-game doodads.

Okay then those suck too? Here's the situation: A thing I want (DLC) is being needlessly tethered to a thing I don't want (toy figurine for children). The economic classification for this type of situation is "sucky crap"

Edit: Not to imply that a Captn. Falcon costume for a Mii is not the game equivalent of a toy figurine for children

acksplode fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 6, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

robot roll call posted:

Pikmin demo update - it's pretty long. It also makes me wish I took Pikmin as my free game with Mario Kart.

Good News there are BOGO sales coming up where you can actually pick up Pikmin 3 for free.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

acksplode posted:

Okay then those suck too? Here's the situation: A thing I want (DLC) is being needlessly tethered to a thing I don't want (toy figurine for children). The economic classification for this type of situation is "sucky crap"

Edit: Not to imply that a Captn. Falcon costume for a Mii is not the game equivalent of a toy figurine for children

Well then you don't get the Spinner DLC. That's how it works. Sorry Nintendo didn't consult renowned forums poster acksplode before implementing their business strategy.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

homeless snail posted:

Weekend at Satoru's, direct.

I'd watch this.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Level Slide posted:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP

There's a Japanese twitter for Splatoon now. So far, it's only talked about mechanics, but I love how every tweet after the very first one is prefaced with イカ研究所からの調査報告だ, or "This is an investigation report from the Squid Institute".

Is Japanese Twitter a lot less concise? I feel like 140 characters of Japanese would be a lot more all encompassing.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

jivjov posted:

Well then you don't get the Spinner DLC. That's how it works.
This is a weirdly combative form of agreement

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

acksplode posted:

If you're planning on getting Smash Brothers for the WiiU they are doing a deal at Toys R Us where you get a free amiibo with purchase if you preorder.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 6, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you're planning on getting Smash Brothers for the WiiU they are doing a deal at Best Buy where you get a free amiibo with purchase.

Wait, do you mean TRU or did best buy match this?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mabels big day posted:

my problem is it's good content that i want.... and i have to pay money for it!

Why do desirable products and services cost money? :mad:

I mean, sure free poo poo is cool, but if you'd be satisfied with the game without the DLC/Amiibo unlocks, then think of them as something extra you can get rather than something you deserve that's behind a paywall. This really is a framing issue and your framing is making you unhappy, so I think it's a bad outlook.

This poo poo is rad, be happy about it! :)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Whoops, you are correct, it is a Toys R Us deal.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Amiibos own you dork

I got an email from amazon yesterday saying that my preorder for the second wave figured has processed. I don't collect anything really, so this is kinda my one thing that I am looking forward to.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 6, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Amiibos own you dork

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Amiibos own you dork

Eh, not really.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

zfleeman posted:

As a dude who has not-a-whole-lotta-interest in that style of animu game, should I spend some time understanding if I should be excited about this Xenoblade thing?

What does this mean. What is an animu game?

It's probably going to be a good RPG if the quality is to be judged on Xenoblade standards. If you like RPGs (with emphasis on exploration and big environments) you might like it and should be excited.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Whether or not I buy Xenoblade X depends on if it has a British dub. Otherwise, no sale. :colbert:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm probably in the minority but I hope Xenoblade 2 is slightly smaller. That world was just too big sometimes. Wandering around towns looking for poo poo could be an ordeal sometimes, especially with the multiple times of day things could show up.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

axleblaze posted:

I'm probably in the minority but I hope Xenoblade 2 is slightly smaller. That world was just too big sometimes. Wandering around towns looking for poo poo could be an ordeal sometimes, especially with the multiple times of day things could show up.

I was concerned about that but today's demonstration showed a much handier looking map and fast travel, plus it looks like you have the ability to pull the camera out and just look around freely until you find what you want to check out.

Of course, I'm still uneasy about it being Neo Los Angeles instead of Neo London.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Chronojam posted:

Of course, I'm still uneasy about it being Neo Los Angeles instead of Neo London.

"Uneasy?"

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Started Mario 3d World today and as good as it is I don't think anything will beat this for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWV5vXu_eF0

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I'm not worried about this, the movement looks significantly improved from the first game:

Plus at some point you get a giant mech that can fly and turn into a motorbike

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Can't decide whether to pick up Shovel Knight on the Wii U or 3ds. That's one thing I prefer Sony for, a lot more cross-buy titles on PSN.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

.TakaM posted:

I'm not worried about this, the movement looks significantly improved from the first game:

Plus at some point you get a giant mech that can fly and turn into a motorbike

:magical: Holy poo poo. I have seen barely anything from Xenoblade 2, but this gif put it squarely on my radar. I should probably checkout the first one first.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Eric Frein did nothing wrong.

As a resident of PA I am disagreeing with this statement.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Guys was there any news on SMTxFE?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
No

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Guys I just realised that I don't have ZombieU yet.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Trent posted:

Why do desirable products and services cost money? :mad:

I mean, sure free poo poo is cool, but if you'd be satisfied with the game without the DLC/Amiibo unlocks, then think of them as something extra you can get rather than something you deserve that's behind a paywall. This really is a framing issue and your framing is making you unhappy, so I think it's a bad outlook.

This poo poo is rad, be happy about it! :)

Nobody is saying the spinner should be free. It's just kinda lovely to have to pay £11 to get a single weapon when £13.49 previously got me two whole dlc packs that include not only new weapons but also new characters and entire new game modes with almost as much content as the original game.

I'm sure it's great if you were going to buy the amiibo anyway and the in-game stuff is just a bonus, but to someone who has no interest in videogame figurines it just feels like a sudden massive hike in how much they're charging for their dlc content. I can't bring myself to think that's rad or be happy about it, sorry.

Also I'm pretty sure that TRU promotion is only in the US so that's no consolation. The only equivalent I can find here is at GAME and it's only for the Mario one. :(

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

dirtyfrog posted:

Can't decide whether to pick up Shovel Knight on the Wii U or 3ds. That's one thing I prefer Sony for, a lot more cross-buy titles on PSN.

It feels more at home on the 3DS, but if you've got a big rear end TV and a nice sound system, it's a great game to crank the volume up and play for hours on the couch. The 8-bit soundtrack rules, but is made even better with more depth and bass. I'm bordering on sperg here, but the soundtrack was one of my favorite parts of the game. I kept playing certain stages after I had had enough of the game just for the music.

Plus, unless you really need that 3DS portability, the Wii U version has off-screen play.

The system-exclusive features (Miiverse on Wii U, Streetpass on 3DS) are pretty much non-factors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

It's just kinda lovely to have to pay £11 to get a single weapon when £13.49 previously got me two whole dlc packs that include not only new weapons but also new characters and entire new game modes with almost as much content as the original game.

it just feels like a sudden massive hike in how much they're charging for their dlc content. I can't bring myself to think that's rad or be happy about it, sorry.

To be fair, part of the sell is that you'd use this figure for similar DLC-ish stuff in other games. Who knows if this will typically be the racing suits from MK8, or something more substantial, but they're banking on people buying these for more than a single game.

If they deliver on the premise (who knows) then it's less "$11 for a spinner" and more "$11 for a spinner in HW, outfits in MK, fighters in Smash, a new character skin in Captain Toad... etc. I'm not very interested in amiibos now (or most of the functionality announced), but if it's seeming like there's at least SOME cute little addition for the majority of Nintendo's games going forward, $11 doesn't sound as bad prorated out.

• Locked thread