Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Luceid posted:

The ACCI is even saying that everyone, everywhere, should buckle up and prepare for years of effective pay cuts because it's no longer viable to increase people's pay with inflation and that this is just the start.

I picked a hell of a year to leave the workforce and go back to school.

How is that not going to gently caress a capitalist economy like ours? If everyone is making less and less money who is going to buy all the poo poo they are being paid to make? Do they not realise that endless growth means wages growth too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

gay picnic defence posted:

How is that not going to gently caress a capitalist economy like ours? If everyone is making less and less money who is going to buy all the poo poo they are being paid to make? Do they not realise that endless growth means wages growth too?

Ever heard of interest-free in store financing?

Having no money is no longer a hindrance to buying expensive crap

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Haters Objector posted:

Ever heard of interest-free in store financing?

Having no money is no longer a hindrance to buying expensive crap

That isn't sustainable though. Even now we are starting to see people pull back on borrowing despite cheap credit being thrown around like candy.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

That isn't sustainable though.

Neither is capitalism :laugh:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

Neither is capitalism :laugh:

Well yes, but they could at least pretend to go through the motions a bit more you'd think.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
http://www.news.com.au/technology/e...0-1227112952731

quote:

CAN Australia survive without coal?
Experts insist it’s entirely feasible — but we’re going to be eating a whole lot less beef, and fast-rail transport between Sydney and Melbourne will no longer be a dream ... it will be a necessity.
Scientists this week are warning that the world needs to stop fossil fuel use by 2100 if dangerous climate change is to be avoided.
But that same warning means big changes to the way we live. Will Australia still be the most livable country in the world?
According to some predictions, beef will be a lot more expensive in this decarbonised world, we’ll look to 3D printing technology to produce components instead of minerals, and we will be more likely to travel between Sydney and Melbourne on an electric train rather than by plane.
According to the initial project report of Pathways to Deep Decarbonisation in 2050, published in September, one of the most noticeable changes would be the increased use of electricity. This is because about 70 per cent of electricity would come from renewables such as solar, wind and hydro, and will therefore be the least carbon emissions intensive energy source.
Associate Professor Frank Jotzo, director of Australian National University’s Centre for Climate Economics and Policy and one of the authors of the report, said current technology now makes it possible for Australia to reduce its carbon emissions to zero by 2050, without changing the structure of the economy significantly.
In order to achieve this, Prof Jotzo said Australia needed to increase its use of natural gas as a transition fuel, before the country moved to zero carbon emissions energy over time.
“It’s really easy for Australia to do that. Firstly, there is falling electricity demand due to household efficiencies despite a growing population and we have a declining heavy manufacturing industry so there is no pressing need to expand power supply in Australia,” Prof Jotzo said.
In fact, even without Direct Action, the government’s climate change policy, Prof Jotzo believes that Australia could meet its “relatively unambitious” target to reduce its carbon emissions by 5 per cent by 2020, “by luck rather than design”, if the decline in electricity demand, manufacturing and mining expansion continues.
“However, it would be a wasted opportunity not to do more with just some moderate policy action,” Prof Jotzo said.
An electric train heading south at Wayville Train Station in South Australia. Picture Ste
An electric train heading south at Wayville Train Station in South Australia. Picture Stephen Laffer Source: News Corp Australia
Prof Jotzo was also involved in producing the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change released on Sunday, which found the earth is headed towards at least 4C warming by 2100, much higher than the 2C goal world governments set in 2009.
IPCC chairman Rajendra Pachauri said on Sunday: “We have the means to limit climate change ... all we need is the will to change”.
Decline in mining expansion will see emissions reduced in Australia. Picture: Craig Green
Decline in mining expansion will see emissions reduced in Australia. Picture: Craig Greenhill Source: News Corp Australia
Prof Jotzo agreed and said modelling had already shown how Australia could achieve deep decarbonisation. Here’s what the country could look like in a zero emission world:
No more coal fired power plants
In 2050, up to 84 per cent of Australia’s electricity demand could be met by renewable energy, mostly from rooftop and large scale solar photovoltaic panels, onshore wind, enhanced geothermal systems, save, biomass and solar thermal generation.
Solar is forecast to be the dominant technology and this is partly because a third of Australia’s electricity consumption occurs in Western Australia, where the mining industry is based and there are favourable weather conditions for solar. Electricity generated from coal would decrease by between 70 to 100 per cent.
The Pathways to Deep Decarbonisation report developed three scenarios that Australia could follow to source about 71 per cent of electricity from renewables by 2050.
These scenarios do not require any major technological breakthroughs, structural changes in the economy or substantial lifestyle changes. Options include: 100 per cent renewables connected to the grid, renewables combined with carbon capture and storage, or with nuclear also included.
The way of the future: Images of the new Snowtown II wind farm. Supplied by Siemens.
The way of the future: Images of the new Snowtown II wind farm. Supplied by Siemens. Source: Supplied
It is a vision that contrasts with the view put forward by Prime Minister Tony Abbott on yesterday that coal is still the “foundation of prosperity” and is “good for humanity”.
“Coal is the foundation of the way we live because you can’t have a modern lifestyle without energy, you can’t have a modern economy without energy,” he said on Tuesday morning.
But changes to electricity and other decarbonisation measures could be introduced while keeping real GDP at 2.4 per cent per year on average, a similar rate to the past five years, according to the report. This would result in an economy nearly 150 per cent larger than today in 2050.
Environment Minister Greg Hunt suggested on Monday that cleaning up coal fired power plants was the “best thing” the government could do to reduce emissions, but Prof Jotzo said this was not enough.
“Replacing the current generation of coal fired power stations with more efficient coal, really falls far short in contribution towards a strong global effort on climate change,” he said.
The report found renewables were the lowest cost technology to achieve decarbonisation and the cost has decreased significantly in recent years. For example, solar panel systems already cost almost half of what previous studies estimated they would cost in 2030.
Breakthroughs in storage technology, such as batteries, could see faster adoption of electricity as an energy source. For example, this could one day allow homes to store excess energy produced from solar panels for later use, rather than feeding it back into the electricity grid.
Solar would be the dominant technology by 2050 in a decarbonised world. Picture: First So
Solar would be the dominant technology by 2050 in a decarbonised world. Picture: First Solar/Greenough River Solar Farm Source: Supplied
If global warming is not kept below the 2 degree target, potential impacts could include decline in agriculture in the Murray Darling Basin, destruction of the Great Barrier Reef, higher costs for water and a significant increase in heat related deaths.
We’ll become more energy efficient
Development of 3D printing, better public transport, use of teleconferencing rather than travelling for business and improved designs for cars and residential and commercial buildings, could all be features of a decarbonised world where energy efficiency is encouraged.
3D printing could significantly reduce emissions by reducing the demand for mineral and base metals. Instead components could be made out of plastic, and this could then be recycled if 3D printers were then able to reuse old material and transform it into a new product.
3D Printing Studios director Howard Wood with objects he has created from a 3D printer.
3D Printing Studios director Howard Wood with objects he has created from a 3D printer. Source: News Corp Australia
Buildings could contain more efficient, smarter appliances and would mostly be electrified. For example, highly efficient (possibly induction) electric cooktops replace gas stoves and electric heaters would replace gas heaters.
Homes would be smaller and new buildings could use 80 per cent less energy for heating and cooling compared with current homes through clever design, as well as replacing halogen globes with LEDs, which use 80 per less energy.
An example of innovative design, the development at Barangaroo South, is expected to become Australia’s first large scale carbon neutral precinct. As part of its energy saving features, there will enough solar energy generated on site to power all its public spaces and its waste water treatment plant.
An artist’s impression of the towers at Sydney’s Barangaroo South development.
An artist’s impression of the towers at Sydney’s Barangaroo South development. Source: Supplied
Manufacturing plants can decrease the energy intensity of their production by about 40 per cent by 2050, through doing things like reducing thermal losses from heating processes such as furnaces, or capturing waste heat to preheat materials.
The mining industry can achieve similar levels of energy efficiency through improvements like changing the steepness of a slope where vehicles travel and reducing the amount of time vehicles stop and start, and improving load management.
A variety of cars would be available, mostly fuelled by low carbon fuels, including electricity and hydrogen, while plug in hybrid vehicles would be available for longer trips. Cars can achieve a 70 per cent improvement in efficiency, mostly through development of electric cars, combined with fuel efficiency and the trend towards smaller cars.
This trend has already begun, with Tesla is expected to launched its electric car, the Model S in Australia this year and will deliver 35,000 vehicles, which is already greater than the sales of the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon in 2013, though it is still a small number in the context of global car sales.
Car of the future: Tesla’s Model S electric vehicle. Picture: AFP/Getty.
Car of the future: Tesla’s Model S electric vehicle. Picture: AFP/Getty. Source: AFP
We’ll eat less beef
Australia is fairly unique in that mining and manufacturing contribute a relatively large share (over one third) of its emissions. In addition, about 15 per cent of its emissions come from agriculture, including methane emissions from livestock.
Beef production is a major source of methane emissions and it is predicted that demand for the meat will slow as prices increase in a decarbonised world.
Steak is about to become more expensive. Picture: Jono Searle.
Steak is about to become more expensive. Picture: Jono Searle. Source: News Corp Australia
Emissions can be reduced through farming practices such as improvement in feeding and pasture practices, as will as breeding for livestock with lower emissions.
With its large land mass, Australia has great potential to offset emissions by changing agricultural land to carbon forestry, which enables carbon to be stored in soil and vegetation.
Natural refrigerants could be used to improve the impact of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration, which are among the most energy intensive processes and made up more than 22 per cent of electricity consumption in 2012.
We will use more electricity and see alternative fuels become more popular
There would be a shift from coal and oil use towards electricity, bioenergy and gas, resulting in 60 per cent reduction in energy emissions.
The use of electricity will increase from 22 per cent to 46 per cent of energy use in 2050.
Natural gas would be used instead of oil for road freight and more emissions reductions could be achieved by replacing about 15 per cent of air travel by the development of electric fast rail between cities on Australia’s east coast.
As recently as 2008, it was thought that biofuels, made from plants and other matter, could not be used in planes but this year the first fully biofuel powered commercial, international flight was completed and a decarbonised world would see biofuels replace 50 per cent of oil use in planes.

A rogue reporter has just been fired from news.com.au

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I really hate those ads

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Battery hen farming and fossil fuels, together at last

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Part of the Australian curriculum is teaching students to break down statistical data from a reputable, government-sponsored source (the ABS). The data covers a lot of different areas - tourism, entertainment, sports, health, etc. One of the teachers I know went to teach his students a stats lesson the other day only to discover that the ABS has discontinued all non-essential statistical collection due to funding cuts. Someone's going to have to rewrite that bit of the curriculum :kiddo:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Wtf

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2014/11/06/ac/dc-drummer-charged-with-attempting-to-procure-a-murder/

quote:

AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd is reportedly set to face court in New Zealand today after being charged with attempting to procure a murder.

Fairfax have reported via their New Zealand website Stuff.co.nz, the musician's Tauranga home was searched this morning, with charges of possession of methamphetamines and cannabis also laid, along with the murder attempt threat.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

urseus posted:

Probably not very much if it was confined to a single day rather than a lifestyle.

expecting poor people to clean up after them is their lifestyle

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm going to add to the job hunting there with a couple of questions.
I sent my resume to a mob and they got back to me wanting a couple more details.
But a few things are not sitting comfortably with me.

It's an office/admin-type job.

Firstly they want to see a copy of my drivers licence, and I wonder why they'd need that at all, as it looks like I'd be driving a desk all day.

The working hours would be 7am - 4pm. a 42.5 hour week as normal, doesn't seem too normal to me in this day and age. Or am I being too sensitive about it?

Apparently if I pass the interview they ask for a day of unpaid work as a trial. I know the general consensus on unpaid 'trial' work, but this one seems fairly legit. ow many of you folks would tolerate doing this in the process of getting a new job?

After a successful trial day they then book me in for a general medical check...again, this is just an office job.

Oh, and they want me to do a Briggs-Meyers personality test. I did let out an involuntary laugh over the phone when the person mentioned this.

So, am I being too sensitive about this company's process, or is this the way of the future.
...anyway, back to discussing our mass-murdering government.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He was probably dirt cheap too.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-05/bob-hawke-and-the-media-australian-story/5868832
'I was never intimidated': The media and former prime minister Bob Hawke's rise to prominence
Australian Story
By Greg Hassall

quote:

Bob Hawke's rise to prominence coincided with the birth of television and he was quick to understand and harness its power.

As a union advocate in the 1960s and 1970s, he used television as a platform to put his case, often outfoxing less media-savvy opponents.

Television helped create the brash, charismatic Mr Hawke persona but it also revealed a quick temper and emotional fragility some found disconcerting.

He courted journalists and could be charming when it suited, but he was never a patient interviewee.

His default position, after years of advocacy, was to concede nothing.

He would often reject the basis of questions, intimidating and unsettling interviewers.

"There was always a degree of combat when you were interviewing Bob Hawke," veteran journalist Paul Kelly told Australian Story.

"He was defensive and aggressive.

"He was a proud man and he was very sensitive about journalists interviewing him, being critical.

"So he'd kick back and sometimes he'd kick back in a very aggressive manner.

"That was the Hawke style."

Mr Hawke clearly saw his encounters with the media as a contest.

In 1989, when Clive Robertson asked him about his fractious relationship with the press, Mr Hawke said: "I can't recall anyone's who's defeated me.

"I think, however, that the sharpness of my reaction at times when I've been confronted with something that I've thought is not proper and may not have won me points."
Hawke's legendary distaste for print journalists

Mr Hawke wore his heart on his sleeve and could not to disguise his contempt for journalists.

Although his most famous confrontations are those captured on camera, he reserved his greatest antipathy for those in the print media.

The reason was obvious.

Sorry, this video cannot be played. You may need to install the latest version of Adobe Flash
Video: Bob Hawke's unique relationship with the press (ABC News)

Television and radio interviews enabled Mr Hawke to reach the Australian people directly.

In such encounters, he regarded interviewers as necessary evils, obstacles to be negotiated as he sold his message to the public.

The print media, however, didn't facilitate such unmediated access.

Journalists could editorialise, interpret and distort, and this clearly rankled.

Mr Hawke made this point explicitly in an interview with Jana Wendt in 1992.

"The level of journalism in this country is just so pathetically poor and I've, in a sense, gone over the top of them, which they don't like," he said.

"They've been irrelevant to me, the print media, because my link does not depend upon the menial minds of the scribblers in Canberra or anywhere else.

"I prefer to deal directly with the Australian people."

Kelly said Mr Hawke's attitude to the media changed over the course of his long career.

"As ACTU president, Hawke courted the media," he said.

"As a politician and as prime minister, he didn't expose too much of himself to the media. He was very discerning and very calculating."

Mr Hawke's unwillingness to court the media once in office might have cost him in the end.

In 1991, as he and Paul Keating tussled over the leadership, the press seemed more sympathetic to Mr Keating's claims and infatuated by his rhetorical wizardry.

To some extent journalists were simply looking for a new narrative for a government in its fourth term.

Nevertheless, Mr Hawke's remoteness left him with few in the media willing to make his case.

In 1994, nearly three years after losing to Mr Keating, Mr Hawke faced a large media scrum for the launch of his memoirs.

Irritated by constant questions about Mr Keating, Mr Hawke launched into spirited tirade, giving voice to years of pent-up resentment.

It was a visceral performance that, in retrospect, stands as an epitaph to a long and complicated relationship.

"Those people out there, the Australian people, are better than you," he seethed.

"The tragedy is you don't understand that. You don't talk to them. You don't address the issues that they are concerned about.

"You trot out your own little well-developed prejudices, and if Hawke doesn't conform to your thought patterns he's bitter. Good on you."

Nice to know the Canberra press gallery have always been poo poo.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Marsupial Fish posted:

I'm going to add to the job hunting there with a couple of questions.
I sent my resume to a mob and they got back to me wanting a couple more details.
But a few things are not sitting comfortably with me.

It's an office/admin-type job.

Firstly they want to see a copy of my drivers licence, and I wonder why they'd need that at all, as it looks like I'd be driving a desk all day.
This part checks out, they just want to make sure you're not brown a terrorist.

Marsupial Fish posted:

The working hours would be 7am - 4pm. a 42.5 hour week as normal, doesn't seem too normal to me in this day and age. Or am I being too sensitive about it?

37.5 / 38 hours is a standard Australian work week. 42.5 is coming in for a half day on Saturday unpaid because you like your boss. Are you getting an increased rate of pay for the extra hours? Usually 1.5, increasing to 2x because if not then you're morally required to steal stuff from them to make up for the shortfall.

Marsupial Fish posted:

Apparently if I pass the interview they ask for a day of unpaid work as a trial. I know the general consensus on unpaid 'trial' work, but this one seems fairly legit. ow many of you folks would tolerate doing this in the process of getting a new job?

Isn't this hell illegal? All work should be paid for even if they fire you on day one you should still get paid for day one. If they actually can't afford to pay you for that day then you need to get a different job because they have no money.

Marsupial Fish posted:

After a successful trial day they then book me in for a general medical check...again, this is just an office job.

Oh, and they want me to do a Briggs-Meyers personality test. I did let out an involuntary laugh over the phone when the person mentioned this.
Now you're not even trying with the troll.

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

IslamoNazi posted:

This part checks out, they just want to make sure you're not brown a terrorist.
Sarcasm aside, it's pretty loving strange to me. But ultimately not a deal-breaker.
Probably would be more offensive if I was brown. I just don't know.

IslamoNazi posted:

37.5 / 38 hours is a standard Australian work week. 42.5 is coming in for a half day on Saturday unpaid because you like your boss. Are you getting an increased rate of pay for the extra hours? Usually 1.5, increasing to 2x because if not then you're morally required to steal stuff from them to make up for the shortfall.
I guess I can just ask for more pay based on the extended hours. Which means I won;t get the job, of course.

IslamoNazi posted:

Isn't this hell illegal? All work should be paid for even if they fire you on day one you should still get paid for day one. If they actually can't afford to pay you for that day then you need to get a different job because they have no money.
I looked a little bit and found something funny at http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/unpaid-work/unpaid-trials

quote:

Example: Unpaid trial that should be paid

Jane saw an ad in the newspaper from a local restaurant seeking a full-time kitchen hand. The job did not require the applicant to have any specific skills. The duties for the position included scrubbing pots, cleaning the floors and taking the rubbish out to the bin.

When she applied for the job, Jane was told that she had to work a day unpaid so that the employer could check her suitability for the role. Jane agreed.

At the end of the shift, the employer told Jane that she wasn't suitable for the job. Jane wasn't paid for any of the hours she worked.

Jane should have been paid for all hours worked. The trial was not a skill demonstration and Jane performed productive work for the benefit of the business.
Sound familiar Anidav? Odd they didn't quote you as a source!

IslamoNazi posted:

Now you're not even trying with the troll.

I really wish I was trolling

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Marsupial Fish posted:

I really wish I was trolling

I'm very familiar with that test and its research base... can I ask what field you're applying to that asked you to take it? The only job I've ever heard of that still requires that sort of personality test is ACER, a psychological testing company that is the distributor of the MBTI in Australia.

Will your test results be interpreted by a psychologist or someone in management? It's not a hard thing to score and interpret but if someone outside of a registered mental health field is scoring your test, you don't have the same safeguards against what they might do with your data and this may just be an elaborate way to collect your information for some sort of research project (rather than being some qualifier for the job itself).

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
just flip the turtle right way up she'll be right

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I can't remember if it was Meyers-Briggs or some other test but I had to take one of those hokey things for a job in the (New Zealand) public service. Just answer the way you know they want you to answer, it's not like you actually have to reveal your personality.

Aside from the unpaid trial, which is outrageous and if they're making you do one it's probably a pretty lovely place to work, it's all pretty standard stuff.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 6, 2014

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Is it Meyers-Briggs that Mills is obsessed with, wanting everyone to post their results and also their yearly income?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Almost every IT job I have applied for has made me do some kind of personality test.

I swear its just a thing shopped a round to big organisations while they pay $500 a head to license this poo poo and submit the data back to the vendor who does whatever the gently caress they want with it - probably sell it to facebook/google to realign with the 'anonymous' user data and better target ads.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Extra work hours might also be a rostered day off situation, where you work more every day in exchange for one day off each fortnight.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Laserface posted:

Almost every IT job I have applied for has made me do some kind of personality test.

Maybe but not all personality tests are created equal and there is (relatively) good science underpining the administration of something like the MMPI to predict job performance for some roles compared to the MBTI... Which isn't to say that I'm especially convinced by the evidence supporting personality testing for employment in general but I don't know a single reputable study that demonstrates that the MBTI is good for predicting anything useful for employment.

quote:

I swear its just a thing shopped a round to big organisations while they pay $500 a head to license this poo poo and submit the data back to the vendor who does whatever the gently caress they want with it - probably sell it to facebook/google to realign with the 'anonymous' user data and better target ads.

This, unfortunately, is what drives a lot of vocational psychometric testing...

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

Serrath posted:

I'm very familiar with that test and its research base... can I ask what field you're applying to that asked you to take it? The only job I've ever heard of that still requires that sort of personality test is ACER, a psychological testing company that is the distributor of the MBTI in Australia.

Will your test results be interpreted by a psychologist or someone in management? It's not a hard thing to score and interpret but if someone outside of a registered mental health field is scoring your test, you don't have the same safeguards against what they might do with your data and this may just be an elaborate way to collect your information for some sort of research project (rather than being some qualifier for the job itself).

The link they gave me for the test is http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp
My result http://www.humanmetrics.com/hr/JTypesResult.aspx?EI=-67&SN=-75&TF=1&JP=11

It's just a customer service/admin job. Take calls from customers, allocate the service jobs to workers.

Apparently I'm an 'INTJ'. That that mean I'm Gandalf or something?

I doubt it's any kind of professional looking at the test result, just somebody from their HR department.
And take a look at the website. It doesn't really project the 'professional mental health' image, does it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Marsupial Fish posted:

The link they gave me for the test is http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp
My result http://www.humanmetrics.com/hr/JTypesResult.aspx?EI=-67&SN=-75&TF=1&JP=11

It's just a customer service/admin job. Take calls from customers, allocate the service jobs to workers.

I doubt it's any kind of professional looking at the test result, just somebody from their HR department.
And take a look at the website. It doesn't really project the 'professional mental health' image, does it.

Isn't like 95% of the internet INTJ? I think it means you're autistic, I'm sorry. :(

Anyway that's a very professional looking website, there is nothing that says "serious mental health website" to me like MS Painted anime hearts making kissy eyes at each other and asking you to check your romance rating with them.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Laserface posted:

Some of them can predict job performance, but they aren't perfect and the MBTI is definitely a crock of poo poo. Emotional Intelligence testing is likely to be a crock of poo poo too. Even the good personality tests might only predict .3 or so of the variance in job performance.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
My workplace did a Briggs test as an exercise, but it was more of an "ooh, look how different we are but also the same and get along like totally the best mmhmm" kind of deal.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Marsupial Fish posted:

I can tell you that's not the Myers Biggs Type Inventory; it arrives at a type-indicator score but the MTBI is based on very soft and fuzzy science but does have SOME science behind it. That test that you took is a bunch of questions someone threw together because they thought they may relate to the personality factors tested by the MBTI.

So no, I'd agree that it doesn't project the professional mental health image. I'd suggest that there's probably a workplace culture in your upper management that supports the use of this sort of testing. Some workplaces REALLY like the idea of personality testing, it has a real cultish type following and they'll use it contrary to actual evidence supporting its use.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

I'm ENTJ, which apparently means nothing at all because it's a dumb test for idiots and has no correlation to anything useful

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Murodese posted:

I'm ENTJ, which apparently means nothing at all because it's a dumb test for idiots and has no correlation to anything useful

Hmm yes, exactly what an ENTJ would say. Pfeh.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Apparently I'm an ENFP, i wonder what techniques HR has to manipulate and stereotype me.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Murodese posted:

It has no correlation to anything full stop. the validation studies that initially investigated it had some really questionable research designs and subsequent studies have shown that the factor structure that comprises the 4 factors completely breakdown.

But the biggest problem is some of the factors are normally distributed along a typical bell curve with the dividing point between the traits being measured in the middle. This shouldn't happen; because the factors are viewed by the instrument as being dichotomous, you would expect scores to cluster on two probability peaks, each peak occurring somewhere in the middle of each dichotomous trait.

A better way to explain the problem is to consider the following. In repeated tests, 66% of people will fall within, say, 5 points of the dividing line determining whether you are (T)hinking or (F)eeling. Yet, while all 66% got very similar scores to each other, the test will put 33% into the "T" category and 33% into the "F" category without any acknowledgement of this normal distribution. This division is fine when scores cluster in twin peaks because the factor structure has demonstrated that you're dealing with two different factors but is incompatible with something that has a normal distribution.

Like, it's not even that it doesn't correlate to anything, it literally doesn't measure anything at all.

**edit** its telling that, in my research methods course, it was used as a cautionary example of a bad factor analysis and shoddy research methodology. the fact that it's so popular is a function of very effective marketing and some very unethical practitioners

Serrath fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 6, 2014

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

I do hear that whatever category Les Affaires belongs to have smaller penises on average, though.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I was also born in the year of the Dragon and am a Leo.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Murodese posted:

The E correlates slightly with the big five 'Extroversion' trait but thats about it; the rest is pretty useless. People who take that test generally come up with a different result when tested some time later which you wouldn't expect given personality is supposed to be stable. It can't take into account the spectrum of personality traits because it wants to lump people into one of two opposite groups. It doesn't predict how you'll perform on the job, or anything like that; its just a bunch of questions to determine personality constructs that don't actually exist.

Most of the MBTI research papers in recent times are published in a journal that is owned by the mob who own the copyright to the MBTI which should give people an indication of its legitimacy.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Myers-Briggs is complete worthless poo poo; it is Known.

Actually I'm surprised it's apparently not Known by folks in this thread (that I don't have on ignore).

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Actually I'm surprised it's apparently not Known by folks in this thread (that I don't have on ignore).

I guess it isn't something that comes up very often.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Murodese posted:

I do hear that whatever category Les Affaires belongs to have smaller penises on average, though.

Im ENTJ too. What now scrublord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I just did a quiz on buzz feed and my spirit animal is an otter

• Locked thread