Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Endless Mike posted:

You *might* be able to do it with GoodReader, but don't quote me on that, as I've only minimally used it.

tuyop posted:

The answer is that you can. PDFs and .docs and videos get sent as is without any of that terrible google drive conversion that you have to turn off. You can also select multiple files and send them in one email quickly.
This is marvellous news if true and I'll give it a go later. This whole problem almost hosed me over big time last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

obi_ant posted:

How did you do this? I still have to enter my password every time I login. Even though I have touch ID activated.

This only applies for the safari passwords sign in as far as I can tell, not going into the Lastpass app. Also, you'll still have to enter your password on every reboot.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

This only applies for the safari passwords sign in as far as I can tell, not going into the Lastpass app. Also, you'll still have to enter your password on every reboot.

I get the code prompt if I return to the app and it's still in the background (with require passcode immediately on, setting that for later just leaves the app completely unlocked), but not when first logging in. I can't seem to get around the passcode while the app is running, it seems like it has to logoff.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Are there any apps which turn off those annoying "Cellular Data is turned off for _____" messages?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

bobthedinosaur posted:

Are there any apps which turn off those annoying "Cellular Data is turned off for _____" messages?

If you're jailbroken, yes.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Which would they be?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

spongeworthy posted:

If you're jailbroken, yes.

Aw, drat. I'd rather not have to jailbreak my phone.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ICHIBAHN posted:

Which would they be?

NoAnnoyance, but when I last tried it it did not work on IOS8.1.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Are there any movie player apps that can take screenshots in a video's native resolution? Can nPlayer do this? Can any video playing app do this?

On a related note, is there any video player that can advance ahead in a video by frame?

I watch movies and write movie reviews on my iPad but I'd like to be able to take screenshots while watching, but currently I still have to go to use a regular ol' computer for that. I'm just wondering if any apps on the iPad can help out with this.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

hypersleep posted:

Are there any movie player apps that can take screenshots in a video's native resolution? Can nPlayer do this? Can any video playing app do this?

On a related note, is there any video player that can advance ahead in a video by frame?

I watch movies and write movie reviews on my iPad but I'd like to be able to take screenshots while watching, but currently I still have to go to use a regular ol' computer for that. I'm just wondering if any apps on the iPad can help out with this.

I'm pretty sure iMovie will let you do this and it should be free.

There's also an app called VideoPix which looks janky as gently caress.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It's Playing Pro says it can do frame by frame, I don't have it myself but someone else a little while back recommended it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a pedometer app that works for iPhone 5 (without the coprocessor) that won't kill my battery?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a pedometer app that works for iPhone 5 (without the coprocessor) that won't kill my battery?

You could try Moves, which works off of the background location tracking and shouldn't, in principle, use any more battery power than geofencing (which is none).

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

tuyop posted:

You could try Moves, which works off of the background location tracking and shouldn't, in principle, use any more battery power than geofencing (which is none).

Moves works really well on the 5. There's a very small hit to battery life in "Battery Saver" mode, but it's nothing like, say, Argus's godawful battery murder.

"Accuracy" mode makes a more noticeable dent, but it's still worlds below Argus.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Yo guys LastPass just updated and now you can use TouchID for pretty much everything :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey nerds, go vote for my suggestion to get Microsoft to integrate the Wacom Bamboo API into OneNote iOS so I can use my Fineline to take notes.

https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/256328-onenote-users/suggestions/6658380-wacom-bamboo-stylus-support-for-ios

If you care about that sort of thing, I mean. And actually, even if you don't :colbert:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Hey nerds, go vote for my suggestion to get Microsoft to integrate the Wacom Bamboo API into OneNote iOS so I can use my Fineline to take notes.

https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/256328-onenote-users/suggestions/6658380-wacom-bamboo-stylus-support-for-ios

If you care about that sort of thing, I mean. And actually, even if you don't :colbert:

FY because I GM Evernote. :colbert:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Reeder 2 just got updated for iPhones 6/6+, looks great!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

priznat posted:

Reeder 2 just got updated for iPhones 6/6+, looks great!

Still can't decide if I prefer that or Unread though. I switch between them both pretty regularly.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yes! Hue app got a widget!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Feenix posted:

Yes! Hue app got a widget!

Speaking of widgets, let's discuss the weather.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

Speaking of widgets, let's discuss the weather.

No. Let's discuss Hue App's Widget. We don't need to make jokes about jokey things at every turn.

Hue's widget is a good first attempt. You can put 5 items in there. I put my most used scenes. "Dimming the light in my kid's room before bed", "turning on the light behind the tv" poo poo like that. However unlike the actual app, tapping it a second time does not prompt for turning it off. Meaning I need to make an entirely new "off" scene to turn anything off and have them take up some of my 5 Widget slots.

Gonna have to send feedback on that one.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Not a joke if we still haven't found a decent weather widget seven weeks after the launch of iOS 8.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Wow unread is great. Why do you need it if you just have feedly? Just a better reader?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For those who want an alternative to Swiftkey, Swype is free for the time being.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Josh Lyman posted:

For those who want an alternative to Swiftkey, Swype is free for the time being.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a look!

I see there's an emoji button in the numbers/symbols page, but can it only do the one smiling face or is there some gesture to give me access to more emoji without having to switch the keyboard out?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a look!

I see there's an emoji button in the numbers/symbols page, but can it only do the one smiling face or is there some gesture to give me access to more emoji without having to switch the keyboard out?

You have to draw the emoji accurately.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

Wow unread is great. Why do you need it if you just have feedly? Just a better reader?

It's generally just different philosophies of how you use RSS. Some people want to see just headlines, and then click to read some of the articles, the mark it all read at the end. Other people want to skim the full post of every article, and have each one marked read as they go past it.

I find Unread is better for the first case, while Reeder is better for the second.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

It's generally just different philosophies of how you use RSS. Some people want to see just headlines, and then click to read some of the articles, the mark it all read at the end. Other people want to skim the full post of every article, and have each one marked read as they go past it.

I find Unread is better for the first case, while Reeder is better for the second.

How do those two stack up in your terms against feedly?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

tuyop posted:

How do those two stack up in your terms against feedly?

Huh, I didn't actually know there was a Feedly app. I've been using Reeder since Google Reader was around.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I started using IFTTT again after a while, and I'm running into an issue. I moved a few months ago but when I turned on my recipes for Raining Now = Email Me, it only alerts me on rain at my old place. I changed my locations in my default Weather app, the original location isn't even on the list anymore. I also tried re-adding the Recipe and it still does this. Where is it pulling my location info from?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Minuum is also on sale for 99¢. Normally it's 4 bone.

Cent sign typed with the Unicodr keyboard :v:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ouch, swype is terrible on my 4s. Anyone have any better luck with it? I miss it from my android days.

Edit: ok, maybe it's working better now. Not sure what was up at first.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 6, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

3rd party keyboards have all been really bad even on my 6. I think the feature isn't really fully-baked and the 1 GB of RAM is probably not helping matters.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Does anyone know of an RSS reader that can replace Pulse? I've been using it since it launched and I'm finally fed up with Linkdin's post acquisition making GBS threads up of the features.

The reason I liked it so much was the interface. A nice grid with a preview image from the articles. It was a little clunky to get to the original page, but not deal breaker. There was a web interface so I could read it on my laptop when I wanted. You could add pretty much any source and the app was really good at ferreting out the rss from just the site's name.

Now, it's crashy. They've crippled the subscription feature in favor of their canned sources. It crashes a lot. The web interface doesn't sync at all with the app anymore, and hasn't for over a year.

Looking for a replacement has been an exercise in frustration. Feedly doesn't even let you sort your feeds manually. Every other post google reader attempt seems to think all I want is a list of titles in a row. Or they claim they'll organize my feed for me. I pretty much hate them all.

I'm visually oriented. I want pictures WITH text. Not just one or the other. I want to organize it the way I see fit. Not merely alphabetically or whatever other ordering scheme the coder sperged about. I want Pulse from early 2013 back.

Any ideas at all?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Whenever you go to a number field in an app or in Safari, shouldn't Swype switch to a numpad or does it not support those? Every other keyboard I've tried has been fine for those.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
I installed Transit after seeing it mentioned in this thread, but the widget never works. I'm in NYC so there are plenty of trains around me. It either shows nothing at all (just the header for the "Nearby Lines" widget, with nothing underneath it before my next widget), or was showing "Unable to Load" before.

Tried Googling to find what the issue could be but couldn't find anything useful.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Does anyone know of an RSS reader that can replace Pulse? I've been using it since it launched and I'm finally fed up with Linkdin's post acquisition making GBS threads up of the features.

The reason I liked it so much was the interface. A nice grid with a preview image from the articles. It was a little clunky to get to the original page, but not deal breaker. There was a web interface so I could read it on my laptop when I wanted. You could add pretty much any source and the app was really good at ferreting out the rss from just the site's name.

Now, it's crashy. They've crippled the subscription feature in favor of their canned sources. It crashes a lot. The web interface doesn't sync at all with the app anymore, and hasn't for over a year.

Looking for a replacement has been an exercise in frustration. Feedly doesn't even let you sort your feeds manually. Every other post google reader attempt seems to think all I want is a list of titles in a row. Or they claim they'll organize my feed for me. I pretty much hate them all.

I'm visually oriented. I want pictures WITH text. Not just one or the other. I want to organize it the way I see fit. Not merely alphabetically or whatever other ordering scheme the coder sperged about. I want Pulse from early 2013 back.

Any ideas at all?
You might look at Newsify.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cletus42o posted:

I installed Transit after seeing it mentioned in this thread, but the widget never works. I'm in NYC so there are plenty of trains around me. It either shows nothing at all (just the header for the "Nearby Lines" widget, with nothing underneath it before my next widget), or was showing "Unable to Load" before.

Tried Googling to find what the issue could be but couldn't find anything useful.

It's working for me. Try reinstalling?

CaptainCrunch posted:

Any ideas at all?

Yeah, check like five posts back. Three have been mentioned: reeder, unread, and feedly. I use feedly. It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Is there any keyboard with similar functionality to the jailbreak tweak swipe selection? The apple loupe is really tedious for making minor corrections and moving the text cursor around.