Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Instant Watcher just showed that there's a ton of new 30 for 30 film on Netflix Watch Instant. Mostly stuff from the last round, but it's still new if you haven't seen any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I didn't like the San Francisco Earthquake one. It's better when they pick an angle for the story and go in-depth. This was just a general overview of the event. No real insight into what happened behind the scenes or anything.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Finally got a chance to watch Big Shot. I'm not sure if there's a greater disparity between interesting subject matter and inept to terrible directing.

Really, Kevin loving Connolly directed this? And narrated it (terribly)? And inserted himself into the documentary? Ugh. What a shame. Such an interesting and strange sorry.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
I'm liking this knicks doc a lot because I knew nothing about 99% of this. how is it for you guy who're familiar with the subject?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just a heads up, the current crop of 30 for 30s are getting added to Netflix on the fly.

Playing for the Mob and The Day the Series Stopped are already up.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

I know a lot of us in TFF watched Rand University and loved it but most of us already loved Randy Moss anyway – I'm not sure how well it came across to people unfamiliar with him and with football in general compared to something like Two Escobars, which can be easily appreciated even by those with zero interest in sports.

I had a thought for something that would make an incredible 30 for 30, and I'm sort of amazed it hasn't happened yet: Dave Bliss. His entire career was all kinds of hosed up on a multitude of levels, and his show-cause expires next year (not that anyone would touch him with a ten-foot pole, but it'd make for good timing). poo poo, he almost got SMU sanctioned early in his career but they only held off on it because their football program had just gotten the death penalty (which was one of my favorite 30 for 30 episodes) :psyduck:

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 13, 2014

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

Free Spirits and Bernie and Ernie were both fantastic. Playing for the Mob was interesting because they were so incompetent.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Brothers In Exile was really good. I'm surprised no one mentioned it in here.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Brothers In Exile was really good. I'm surprised no one mentioned it in here.

It's on my DVR to watch tonight. I am secretly hoping it's just a 90 minute loop of The El Duque but that seems unlikely.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Playing for the mob is interesting if only because I don't think I've seen anyone on these as completely full of poo poo as Jim Sweeney.

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

Simplex posted:

Playing for the mob is interesting if only because I don't think I've seen anyone on these as completely full of poo poo as Jim Sweeney.

Hahaha so true.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
My DVR recorded the tail end of some college football game instead of Rand University.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Looking forward to watching Brothers in Exile. My brother said it was great and it's sitting on the DVR.

Did anyone find the Boz one sort of weird? I mean the scenes in the storage locker seemed really staged. His story is interesting and they got some great people involved for interviews, but felt like scenes from a reality show where you know everything is fake. This in contrast to the Marinovich one that I thought was phenomenal.

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Niwrad posted:

Looking forward to watching Brothers in Exile. My brother said it was great and it's sitting on the DVR.

Did anyone find the Boz one sort of weird? I mean the scenes in the storage locker seemed really staged. His story is interesting and they got some great people involved for interviews, but felt like scenes from a reality show where you know everything is fake. This in contrast to the Marinovich one that I thought was phenomenal.

I thought it felt genuine, more like a clip show of Brian's memories, rather than some cheesy reality show.

I laughed when Boz's son wanted the NCAA shirt, then felt bad when Brian started tearing up about the mistake he said it was :smith:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yeah I really liked the Boz one. It seemed really hearfelt and Bosworth clearly still struggles with his demons.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I don't know if its been discussed in this thread or not but I just watched a really good doc on Netflix called The Other Dream Team. Its about the 1992 Lithuanian Men's Basketball team at the Olympics (they of the Grateful Dead shirts) as well as the Lithuanian independence movement.

Definately recommend it.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 22, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Basticle posted:

I don't know if its been discussed in this thread or not but I just watched a really good doc on Netflix called The Other Dream Team. Its about the 1992 Lithuanian Men's Basketball team at the Olympics (they of the Grateful Dead shirts) as well as the Lithuanian independence movement.

Definately recommend it.

that movie owns

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

wheez the roux posted:

that movie owns

My favorite 30 for 30 by far. The scenes with Sarunas meeting the Greatful Dead and getting a contact high at the concert are golden.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

My favorite 30 for 30 by far. The scenes with Sarunas meeting the Greatful Dead and getting a contact high at the concert are golden.

That isnt actually a 30 for 30 is it?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Basticle posted:

That isnt actually a 30 for 30 is it?

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking it was a bit lengthy for a 30 for 30.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking it was a bit lengthy for a 30 for 30.

It's actually shorter than my favorite 30 for 30.... The Best That Never Was

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Watched the Boz one and this may be evil, but it was kind of funny when he's tearfully regaling his son about all of the mistakes he's made in his life but the object that's making him mist up is a t-shirt that says "National Communist Association Against Athletes Welcome to Russia."

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Twice I've tried to DVR Rand University and twice I've wound up with 1/2 a college football game. It would be cool if ESPN could air it at least once not immediately preceding a live sporting event that's run an hour long.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

davecrazy posted:

Twice I've tried to DVR Rand University and twice I've wound up with 1/2 a college football game. It would be cool if ESPN could air it at least once not immediately preceding a live sporting event that's run an hour long.

Do we have any idea when they are getting it up on netflix? They seem to be going up pretty quick this time around.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Mahoning posted:

It is pretty strange how over and over New York teams are made out to be these heroic underdogs.

At least in the case of the Knicks, they've been so historically mismanaged that they are in fact often underdogs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

R.D. Mangles posted:

Watched the Boz one and this may be evil, but it was kind of funny when he's tearfully regaling his son about all of the mistakes he's made in his life but the object that's making him mist up is a t-shirt that says "National Communist Association Against Athletes Welcome to Russia."

His son afterward wanting to wear the shirt to school was also pretty funny

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

His son afterward wanting to wear the shirt to school was also pretty funny

It's a really funny shirt.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ok I had no idea who Bosworth was (never liked football) so I decided to wiki him up. This:

quote:

Before the first game of the season, versus the Denver Broncos, Bosworth trash talked Denver quarterback John Elway. 10,000 Denver fans wore $15 T-shirts reading "BAN THE BOZ", but did not know that Bosworth's company manufactured the shirts.[5]

Wow, that's some next level trolling right there.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Scaramouche posted:

Ok I had no idea who Bosworth was (never liked football) so I decided to wiki him up. This:

Wow, that's some next level trolling right there.

That is sincerely fabulous.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Does anyone know what happened to the Fifth Anniversary Collection Blu-Rays?

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

The Rapaport doc on the Knicks is great. It ends much too quickly but the music and flavor of it is fantastic. If someone was unfamiliar with NBA history and just heard the narrator wrap up Willis Reed with "It's such a shame about his injury" and then never mention it again, they'd be pretty lost

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CaptainYesterday posted:

Does anyone know what happened to the Fifth Anniversary Collection Blu-Rays?

December 16

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rand University is on Netflix now, motherfuckers. Could have used an extra halfhour of Moss NFL highlights though.

Also just sort of half-watched From Elway to Marino and while I fully support the right of any American to tell Robert Irsay to gently caress himself, it's also incredible how far out of his way Elway went to comport himself like the villain in a John Hughes movie. Also, a daily reminder that Dan Marino is barely able to string words together yet got to make millions from appearing on television and in isotoner ads.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Watching The U: Part 2 right now. Greg Olsen seems like an insufferable douchebag. Not to make it sound like I'm apologizing for the U, but Nevin Shapiro also seemed like a superfan loser who bought all his friends and then threw them under the bus when the going got tough.

e- And then Miami caught a break because the NCAA went all NCAA and made themselves look like asses.

Also, the one about the Miracle on Ice told from the Russian side (premieres February 8th) looks like it's going to be amazing.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 15, 2014

EricHall
Aug 7, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Watching The U: Part 2 right now. Greg Olsen seems like an insufferable douchebag. Not to make it sound like I'm apologizing for the U, but Nevin Shapiro also seemed like a superfan loser who bought all his friends and then threw them under the bus when the going got tough.

e- And then Miami caught a break because the NCAA went all NCAA and made themselves look like asses.

Also, the one about the Miracle on Ice told from the Russian side (premieres February 8th) looks like it's going to be amazing.

Yeah I was watching The U: Part 2 tonight and saw the ad for the Miracle On Ice one, and I agree, it should be great. I'm assuming that is the next one? I think I remember seeing that they were doing one on Christian Laettner as well next year.

Now that it has run its course for the year, I think this series of films (Beginning with Playing for the Mob to now) was a really good stretch of films. In fact, I think a majority of the ones released this year have been pretty good, even if Bad Boys was pretty disappointing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Rand University sucked. I think it was just poorly made. It just felt like they took what could have been an interesting story and told it in a very disjointed way. Then once he gets to the NFL they just end it with "and he became one of the greatest WR in NFL history". WHAT?! Dude was a human highlight reel for years and you just glaze over his triumph? And the whole "Oh yeah by the way he also kept loving up". Ok?

It just didn't feel very in depth. Like everything they showed or talked about was just the surface.

The whole doc could have benefited from telling the story of the 3 friends (Moss, Howard, and Singleton) and their 3 very different paths from their HS football days, even while still putting the big focus on Moss. Because the irony is the two friends represented the two paths he could go down, with Howard as the straight edge Notre Dame guy and Singleton the talented athlete who threw it away and ended up on the streets. I don't know how you make that documentary and don't realize that that's the real story. Rather than basically a chronological life story of Randy Moss from high school to the NFL draft.

Wasted potential.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I liked Rand U, but I agree with your points. The big message was about poverty and race in a little West Virginia community, but they only spent about 5 minutes on that. The rest was the Randy Moss Chronological Bio hour.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
What's this Russian look at the miracle on ice? I didn't see it on their webpage?

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001

soggybagel posted:

What's this Russian look at the miracle on ice? I didn't see it on their webpage?

From the commercial blurb it's called "Of Miracles and Men", will air Feb 8th. Done by Jonathan Hock who did The Best There Never Was, Unguarded (the Chris Herren ESPN Films one) and Survive and Advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

deadEd posted:

From the commercial blurb it's called "Of Miracles and Men", will air Feb 8th. Done by Jonathan Hock who did The Best There Never Was, Unguarded (the Chris Herren ESPN Films one) and Survive and Advance.

Dang, aren't those films all some of the better ones? Pretty hype, in that case.

• Locked thread