Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
The electronic voting booths let you vote straight party and then you could mark for any specific candidate. It stated that anything left unmarked would default to the straight party, but individually marked candidates would take precedence over straight party. I assume a scantron would work the same way. Tally marked candidates first, then add straight party to each seat left unmarked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ah, yeah that makes sense.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

1stGear posted:

"Hey, Austin is the fastest growing city in the country. What should we do about that?"

"CERTAINLY NOT IMPROVE OUR INFRASTRUCTURE!"

*slaps palms against their chest*

But it was the wrong route, so better to wait another 14 years to try again when everything is even worse.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
My previous elections were in south Miami and D.C. This year it was Dallas. Now I know what it feels like to be a powerless voter.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

e_angst posted:

Texas prop 1 passed. Austin's prop 1 (our decade-too-late attempt to get additional rail in the city) failed.

Oh crap, that sucks.

I keep dreaming about a train between San Antonio and Austin. One of the proposed stop sites is right up the road from me and would absolutely broaden my employment choices.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

But it was the wrong route, so better to wait another 14 years to try again when everything is even worse.

These people were annoying as gently caress.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

e_angst posted:

Everyone knew she was going to lose. The fact that she did worse than Bill White in 2010 means that all the Battleground Texas efforts were completely worthless. Texas isn't going to turn purple for another generation, if then.

If she had lost by less than 10 points it would have been a decent showing. If it had been less than 5 points it would have been a major triumph.

Or maybe it's an indication that Davis was an exceptionally lovely candidate.

I mean, she almost lost the 18-29 vote. That doesn't happen.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

This was the worst part! "It's the wrong route" with no rebuttal to what the "right route" would be. I know a whole bunch of progressive people spouting this bullshit line (and the "We need to do something but this isn't it") and it drove me crazy every time. As if a proposal to rip up MOPAC and I-35 and replace them with 12 lane superhighways would pass without the same people going fully NIMBY.

I give Austin another 5 years before our little tech bubble bursts due to lovely infrastructure.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Rabble posted:

This was the worst part! "It's the wrong route" with no rebuttal to what the "right route" would be. I know a whole bunch of progressive people spouting this bullshit line (and the "We need to do something but this isn't it") and it drove me crazy every time. As if a proposal to rip up MOPAC and I-35 and replace them with 12 lane superhighways would pass without the same people going fully NIMBY.

I give Austin another 5 years before our little tech bubble bursts due to lovely infrastructure.

I believe the "right route" was supposed to be Guadalupe/Lamar, but I never heard how this is supposed to happen after they vote this one down.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

computer parts posted:

Or maybe it's an indication that Davis was an exceptionally lovely candidate.

I mean, she almost lost the 18-29 vote. That doesn't happen.

Not that she wasn't a bad candidate, but she/BGT did scare the Republicans into untying one of their hands from behind their back.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
When are they going to give one of the Castro brothers a shot at statewide office?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

When are they going to give one of the Castro brothers a shot at statewide office?

When is one of the Castro brothers going to decide they want to lose a statewide election? (I wouldn't run for 15 years if I was one of them).

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If I was Julian Castro I'd be angling for a vice presidential nomination.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

If I was a Castro I'd literally wait for these Democrats to die off, they're poo poo and wouldn't get me anywhere nice.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Omi-Polari posted:

If I was Julian Castro I'd be angling for a vice presidential nomination.

Remind me why a mayor would be a good vice presidential nominee for any reason other than racial/age demographic pandering.

Go statewide first.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Randandal posted:

Remind me why a mayor would be a good vice presidential nominee for any reason other than racial/age demographic pandering.

Go statewide first.

He's cabinet level now. HUD Secretary. He was likely tapped for that specifically to give him a shortcut around the statewide race thing.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ReidRansom posted:

He's cabinet level now. HUD Secretary. He was likely tapped for that specifically to give him a shortcut around the statewide race thing.
Yup. And search around for stories about dinner meetings between Castro and the Clinton people. And Castro's speech at the 2012 DNC. Plus, you have to factor in the Hispanic GOPers like Cruz and Rubio running for president.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Oh that's weird lol I didn't know that had happened. Still think it's racial pandering but whatevs

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rabble posted:

This is why there is no right route:

Short of some multi-billion dollar multi-line system which hit every single place in Austin on day one there's no way to get the suburbs on board. And without the suburbs being on board you can't pass it.

Here are the maps to play around with:
http://traviselectionresults.com/enr/results/display.do?criteria.electionId=20141104&formSubmitted=1

The mayoral map is pretty depressing too:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Randandal posted:

Oh that's weird lol I didn't know that had happened. Still think it's racial pandering but whatevs
Yeah. But for what it's worth, the Democrats see him as another Henry Cisneros, former mayor of San Antonio who became HUD secretary in the Clinton administration. Was talked about becoming Gore's veep in 2000, but Cisneros got himself indicted over dodgy dealings involving money and a mistress.

Shifty Pony posted:

Wow look at that. Interesting how it breaks down along racial lines. West-side whites for Adler, east-side Hispanics for Martinez.

I'm not super-into Martinez, but Adler struck me as someone who was more interested in telling people what they want to hear.

Also watch these ads. Oh God the Adler add... so twee! Agggghh. Gack.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2014-10-17/10-1-ticker-election-updates/

The Martinez ad is great.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

It always dumbfounds me to see all that empty flat land east of Austin. Build yourself your own version of Plano or Katy or whatever (Aurora CO) out there, with nice gridlike wide streets and several highways and half a million middle class folks doing their best to participate in Austin's economy and not its' gridlock. The hills are for rich people and catastrophic flooding, stop building that way. But keep building you stupid NIMBYers.

What's Castro's greatest accomplishment as HUD secretary so far?

Xarthor posted:

Here's my song for the morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCEUOfiZsnA

Time to update the OP, I guess. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXhRoY-Utxo

:iamafag:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Holy gently caress.

I voted for Cole, Adler is an empty suit and I figured Martinez would make it to the runoff anyway. Hoping he call pull it out.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Randandal posted:

Go statewide first.

Pretty much this. As soon as I saw them trotted out during the DNC it was obvious they are being groomed to be presidential candidates. Now that the Congress is fully Republican its not like Castro is going to be able to get anything done till another election cycle possibly. Not a one of them stays in Texas to either work on dismantling the gerry mandering, the Voter ID law, or anything else holding this state back. If anything the interview the one Castro brother uncomfortably sat through and immediately left on the Daily Show is reason enough to think neither of them will do anything of real value for Texas. I'm still probably super cynical.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So is there any way the Austin city council can get a rail project done or is there some arcane reason that it has to be a ballot initiative to happen?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

So is there any way the Austin city council can get a rail project done or is there some arcane reason that it has to be a ballot initiative to happen?

The council doesn't want to take on that much debt without going to the voters.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Badger of Basra posted:

The council doesn't want to take on that much debt without going to the voters.

Primarily this. But also realize that this was a City of Austin bond not a CapMetro bond, and the results would have been even worse if it had been. This was the council's best option.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

VitalSigns posted:

The city can't issue debt to be repaid by property taxes without an election authorizing it.

So given the cost of rail, no.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How much do you think the Capitol building will go for? I bet we could hawk that and build a sweet rail without having to vote on any bonds.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

How much do you think the Capitol building will go for? I bet we could hawk that and build a sweet rail without having to vote on any bonds.

Like the street parking spots around it, the state owns it. So Austin wouldn't get squat, they'd probably move a prison there if they could.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Like the street parking spots around it, the state owns it. So Austin wouldn't get squat, they'd probably move a prison there if they could.

Nah, they'd sell it off to one of Perry's Abbott's donors real cheap like and then get gouged on renting it back from the new owners for a while before buying it back at a substantially higher price that that at which it was sold. Republicans: good at business.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

Nah, they'd sell it off to one of Perry's Abbott's donors real cheap like and then get gouged on renting it back from the new owners for a while before buying it back at a substantially higher price that that at which it was sold. Republicans: good at business.

You joke, but when your business model is bilking the state and taxpayers you're unironically correct.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

You joke, but when your business model is bilking the state and taxpayers you're unironically correct.

Also it's not a joke. Arizona did exactly that. Sold their building for ~$80M, got bent over leasing it back, then ended up paying like $100M when they repurchased it.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Didn't Texas do that with a bunch of toll roads or something as well about 5-10 years ago?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Roumba posted:

Didn't Texas do that with a bunch of toll roads or something as well about 5-10 years ago?

The difference is that we're never going to try to buy those toll roads. We just gave public money to assist with their construction and then let the private firms profit from them from now on.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
In interesting news, and in contrast to the constant string of Republican victories, Republican Susan Reed is no longer Bexar County's District Attorney; she was defeated by Democrat Nicholas “Nico” LaHood. Susan Reed has been DA for 16 years, so this is a bit of a shock; I thought LaHood was just a sacrificial lamb. The win is partly due to greater than average turnout in Bexar county, but also largely due to Thomas J. Henry, who dumped an absolute shitload of money into the race.
http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/LaHood-defeats-Reed-for-Bexar-district-attorney-5871454.php

quote:

In 2010, LaHood lost his bid for DA against Reed, in a race decided by about 8 percentage points.
But in that race, LaHood didn't have the financial backing of big-time personal injury attorney Thomas J. Henry, who this election cycle injected more than $1.2 million into LaHood's coffers. The amount is unprecedented for a local race and caused many to question Henry's motivations.
Hey, if the Kochs can dump shitloads of money into races to get their guys elected, then turnabout is fair play.:colbert:

Also in good news, my congress-critter Joaquin Castro won re-election.:toot:

Not that there was ever any doubt about Joaquin winning, he didn't even have a Republican opponent, just some no-name Libertarian. Ah, the benefits of living in the majority Hispanic, majority Democratic part of San Antonio, I can actually vote for a Democrat who can win and who actually represents me.:allears:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 6, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

fade5 posted:

In interesting news, and in contrast to the constant string of Republican victories, Republican Susan Reed is no longer Bexar County's District Attorney; she was defeated by Democrat Nicholas “Nico” LaHood. Susan Reed has been DA for 16 years, so this is a bit of a shock; I thought LaHood was just a sacrificial lamb. The win is partly due to greater than average turnout in Bexar county, but also largely due to Thomas J. Henry, who dumped an absolute shitload of money into the race.
http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/LaHood-defeats-Reed-for-Bexar-district-attorney-5871454.php

Hey, if the Kochs can dump shitloads of money into races to get their guys elected, then turnabout is fair play.:colbert:

Also in good news, my congress-critter Joaquin Castro won re-election.:toot:

Not that there was ever any doubt about Joaquin winning, he didn't even have a Republican opponent, just some no-name Libertarian. Ah, the benefits of living in the majority Hispanic, majority Democratic part of San Antonio, I can actually vote for a Democrat who can win and who actually represents me.:allears:

I moved about a week ago but my polling place was on the northwest side of San Antonio because that was my old address. Got to listen to people talk about how charter schools are doing the same or better than avg and making a profit :smuggo: and how public schools suck.

Also was the youngest person there who was not a literal child and the polling place was way off at this country club type place with no sidewalks or poo poo ones.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Texas Democrats remind me of the opening scene in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Lots of flailing around, and every time he thinks he's going to make it ... KA-WHAMMO down he goes again, and even more spectacular than the last time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9_m8eVdU2U

fade5 posted:

Yeah I read about that in the Tribune totally randomly. That was a weird thing because it was a gobsmacking amount for a DA, as you said. Apparently Henry thought LaHood would crack down harder on child abuse, which Bexar County has a high rate. But you wonder if he's basically buying himself a DA.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 6, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tribune has a good post mortem on the annihilation of Wendy and BGT.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

zoux posted:

Tribune has a good post mortem on the annihilation of Wendy and BGT.

I took it a good number of BGT people took the election results badly. Where does the organization go from here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They should do what they do, but keep they mouth loving shut and stop trying to book TX pols to loving tv programs.