Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

UberJumper posted:

Yes i am sure, in the options menu the difficulty is set to easy. I am somewhat at a loss and don't really understand why the game feels so much more difficult than when i first played.

Morrigan is a few hundred XP from level 9, so the only spell i could add to her was the paralysis one (since i recall the combination being extremely useful). She doesn't have any heals, or blizzard, grease, or earthquake.

See the thing is i shoot an arrow at one of them they all the doors immediately fly open and they all start chasing me. Which still brings 12+ undead, the dogs have a really weird tendency to burst out and charge my party even if we are on the otherside of the level which makes me wonder if it is scripted.
Did you add the respec mod? Because Shapeshifter is pretty useless and can give you space for much more useful magic. Like you should definitely have Heal, that makes everything easier.

Yeah the aggro AI is pretty lovely, but if they're charging from the other side of the level, that means you can pick them off as they approach with ranged characters, and have your two tankdudes soak up the damage and use potions while Morrigan heals them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
You must at be some bad angles or something, you aren't pulling just one room you are pulling several. Some times is best to use LOS agro and run back instead of firing an attack off, usually an attack will alert everything in the vicinity, while LOS, will typically only alert the one that saw you and maybe 1-2 more and so you can chew through them slowly. Not having Morigan with heals at the moment might be part of your problem, you might consider skipping the castle for the moment, and going to the tower to recruit wynne/level morrigan up.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Everyone playing DAO should just make a mage and then steamroll the whole game, it's ridiculous how overpowered they are. Only part I had difficulty on as a mage was the archdemon and thats mostly because my party just ran around like retards.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah the Archdemon fight is a shining example of "why are you guys clear across the giant map fighting one lowly genlock or something when there's a bug dragon here, come here you jerks".

kater
Nov 16, 2010

DAO was really fun and challenging until I just realized you can pause the game every half a second and have Morrigan poo poo out some spell.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

kater posted:

DAO was really fun and challenging until I just realized you can pause the game every half a second and have Morrigan poo poo out some spell.

Then don't do that and keep having fun?

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

kater posted:

What difficulty are you playing on? I believe Normal is balanced to be played without pausing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am a bit surprised how much people are raging on Skyrim, let Bioware try something different for once it is not as if you have to buy the darn thing.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i bought the game for 47 bux. im probably an idiot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Josef bugman posted:

I am a bit surprised how much people are raging on Skyrim, let Bioware try something different for once it is not as if you have to buy the darn thing.

Question: do you trust Bioware to learn good lessons from Skyrim and apply them well in the narrative and character driven type of story and game they like to make?

I do not.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

If not then we get a decent game of skyrim with better graphics and stuff to do. Even if the story is bilge (and who knows it may be) the actual gameplay looks fun and being able to kill a couple of hours wandering around mucking about doesn't hurt.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I just hope I can pork Leliana again. Hot ginger :love:

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I hope I can murder Leliana and leave her dead in a cathedral again.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

It's fine if they liked how Skyrim implemented some design feature and want their game to be more like that. Unfortunately in that article posted before it came across far more that because Skyrim was popular, let's be more like Skyrim.

quote:

"Skyrim changed the landscape for role-playing games completely," he said. "Now the expectations of your other fans, they're changing too. People age, they typically have less time for games, so it changes their expectations in terms of gameplay segments. It also results in some nostalgia. so they may become even more firm in their attachment to previous features. Now suddenly you have 15 million people that have basically had the first RPG they've ever played as Skyrim. They have totally different expectations of what storytelling is, what exploration is, and I think exploration is really where we've seen the biggest change."

The quote doesn't even make much sense. People have less time for games, so they want more exploration heavy timesinks like Skyrim?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm starting to think Bioware has no loving clue how to handle anything that isn't the first game in an IP.

It's more like they have terrible management and no real creativity. They've become completely reactionary "Oh people liked Skyrim, let's make that."

I'm morbidly curious to see how they hand-wave away all the stuff with Morrigan's baby and the original protagonist potentially hopping into a portal with her. Or all the other decisions. It's going to be awful.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spite posted:

It's more like they have terrible management and no real creativity. They've become completely reactionary "Oh people liked Skyrim, let's make that."

I'm morbidly curious to see how they hand-wave away all the stuff with Morrigan's baby and the original protagonist potentially hopping into a portal with her. Or all the other decisions. It's going to be awful.

Him saying 'game segments' means he was talking about people having less time per gaming session, not necessarily less time overall. Gamers of the future will only play for 35 minutes at a time, but will play three to six times over the course of the day.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Roguelike posted:

I hope I can murder Leliana and leave her dead in a cathedral again.

One of my rear end in a top hat rogue playthroughs ended up that way, "oh sorry. Did I just piss all over the most precious relic of your faith? Here, let me show you how a dual-wielding ninja apologises."

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Trapezium Dave posted:

The quote doesn't even make much sense. People have less time for games, so they want more exploration heavy timesinks like Skyrim?

He's saying the fan base for RPGs was getting older, had less time for games and were becoming nostalgic about certain gameplay features. You could just post a link to RPGCodex to sum up that portion of the quote. He then goes on to say Skyrim brought in a flood of new, younger gamers that could potentially be interested in the RPG genre.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Trapezium Dave posted:

You can sink a lot of time in Skyrim, but you can also play it for pretty much any amount of time you want. A half hour to do a dungeon or two, or a full day exploring the Rift, there's no long cut scenes or story sections to tie you down to the game for long periods at a time, there's no one thing in the game that takes more than a few minutes to do, and it's a time sink because there's a million of those little things you can do.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Josef bugman posted:

If not then we get a decent game of skyrim with better graphics and stuff to do. Even if the story is bilge (and who knows it may be) the actual gameplay looks fun and being able to kill a couple of hours wandering around mucking about doesn't hurt.

"Story? Who gives a gently caress about that poo poo?"

V Yeah, the shittiest thing that could happen for me is if they followed Skyrim in the story structure department.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 6, 2014

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I do :smith:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Well, sir, you've come to the wrong right thread!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I care about the storyline, but if your guys pessimism proves accurate you might as well prep for the actual gameplay and farting about to be fun. It is not like much can be done about it at this point.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A. Beaverhausen posted:

"Story? Who gives a gently caress about that poo poo?"

V Yeah, the shittiest thing that could happen for me is if they followed Skyrim in the story structure department.

I don't know what your problem is. Bethesda have never dropped the ball when it comes to narrative structure or story content.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Were there really a lot of procedurally generated quests in Skyrim?

I know there were a couple of set NPCs that spawned within regions that set off quests by running up to your dude while you're exploring the wilderness but those encounters seemed as bloodless as any generated quest.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

steakmancer posted:

Were there really a lot of procedurally generated quests in Skyrim?

I know there were a couple of set NPCs that spawned within regions that set off quests by running up to your dude while you're exploring the wilderness but those encounters seemed as bloodless as any generated quest.

[guild/person] wants you to [find/kill/steal] [mcguffin/book/person/ring/statue/whatever] in [town/dungeon/cave/fort], propagate throughout the world ad infinitum, job done.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm not sure those types of quests fall under the randomly-generated category as attributed by a lot of people

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

CitrusFrog posted:

I don't know what your problem is. Bethesda have never dropped the ball when it comes to narrative structure or story content.

If you arent being facetious, I prefer Bioware's character driven stories, as hit an miss as they may be, as opposed to Bethesda's strung together "narratives". Besides Fallout 3, I've never been able to give a poo poo about any of their stories. I appreciate what they try to do, it's just not my thing.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A. Beaverhausen posted:

If you arent being facetious, I prefer Bioware's character driven stories, as hit an miss as they may be, as opposed to Bethesda's strung together "narratives". Besides Fallout 3, I've never been able to give a poo poo about any of their stories. I appreciate what they try to do, it's just not my thing.

It was, I was. I agree with you, I'd rather have a deep, interesting character arc than nebulous "reasons".

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

CitrusFrog posted:

[guild/person] wants you to [find/kill/steal] [mcguffin/book/person/ring/statue/whatever] in [town/dungeon/cave/fort], propagate throughout the world ad infinitum, job done.

Which wasn't even 5% of the game, I should add. Skyrim otherwise had the exact same quest structure as previous Elder Scrolls games.

I don't know why people are acting like what we've seen so far of the quests in DA:I is some kind of horrific new form of crime committed by Bioware when it's so utterly conventional for the most part. Except this time you can take the rewards from a some amount of it to spruce up your clubhouse along with the normal RPG character progression stuff.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 6, 2014

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Bethesda is so loving awful at direct narrative people conflate their actually good environment and atmosphere as a conjugate

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

steakmancer posted:

Bethesda is so loving awful at direct narrative people conflate their actually good environment and atmosphere as a conjugate

Yep. Everything that's good about story in Bethesda games is incidental to the actual story being told. They have these great epic backstories but are just completely incapable of translating them to the bit that you actually play.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Orv posted:

Video games that generally start off as a thing and then morph significantly to another (or have other bits tacked on) tend to be lackluster in the extra bits, pretty much as a rule. It's possible they hadn't actually done anything yet before they really go to work on the game but it's a reason for concern.

No, not really. Games morph into other games in the early developmental stage all the time, and they're not lackluster as a rule. Shadow of Mordor was supposed to be a Batman game. If anything the fact that DAI was supposed to be a multiplayer game is probably a good indicator that the general combat gameplay has improved over 2 because they considered it conceptually fit for a game with less of a story focus.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 6, 2014

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Penakoto posted:

You can sink a lot of time in Skyrim, but you can also play it for pretty much any amount of time you want. A half hour to do a dungeon or two, or a full day exploring the Rift, there's no long cut scenes or story sections to tie you down to the game for long periods at a time, there's no one thing in the game that takes more than a few minutes to do, and it's a time sink because there's a million of those little things you can do.
Granted, but it's also completely different from Bioware's approach to RPGs, cut-scenes and story sections especially. Which is why I'm curious as to how Skyrim has influenced the game.

Mostly though I'm wary because I strongly suspect a lot of went wrong with Mass Effect 3 was due to inappropriate marketing influences, and I could all too easily see this being an offshoot of "Skyrim is the popular game, make a game like that". I'm hoping DA:I is going to be a return to form for Bioware, but as someone who usually buys Bioware RPGs at release but re-evaluated that due to disappointment with Mass Effect 3, I'm still leaning towards waiting a month or three to see the consensus on how it turned out.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

It depends on what you mean by return to form. If you mean Dragon Age: Origins 2, then no, you'll be disappointed. If you mean a game that wasn't rushed and is polished enough for them to proud of, then yes. They're not giving us the run around we got during the DA2 dev cycle, but I think it's pretty clear they won't be making games in the style they used to anymore.

I mean, since ME2, none of their games have had a slow opening that builds up into the story: destruction of the Normandy, fleeing the Blight, Reapers invade Earth. And DA:I is more of the same.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Josef bugman posted:

Skyrim was a boring game with pretty environments. I dont like boring games.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

It depends on what you mean by return to form. If you mean Dragon Age: Origins 2, then no, you'll be disappointed. If you mean a game that wasn't rushed and is polished enough for them to proud of, then yes. They're not giving us the run around we got during the DA2 dev cycle, but I think it's pretty clear they won't be making games in the style they used to anymore.

I mean, since ME2, none of their games have had a slow opening that builds up into the story: destruction of the Normandy, fleeing the Blight, Reapers invade Earth. And DA:I is more of the same.

All I really want is a fantasy adventure story I can lose myself in where the plot holes aren't too large to ignore. :(

Honestly I don't think I care that much if the actual gameplay sucks. Previous Bioware RPGs were a little clunky in their mechanics but I loved them just the same. I just want a big cheesy adventure RPG.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think they really loving need DAI to be a hit. They've been out there saying that it's going to be the new framework for what a Bioware game is going to look like going forward, the Doctors have left, and EA have realized how much of a hit they took by pimping out the Bioware name and rushing all their poo poo out the door.

It's impossible to say right now whether it'll be a total reinvention of their traditional style and formula (though probably not), but they can't really afford for it to be anything less than solid.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Trapezium Dave posted:

Granted, but it's also completely different from Bioware's approach to RPGs, cut-scenes and story sections especially. Which is why I'm curious as to how Skyrim has influenced the game.

Mostly though I'm wary because I strongly suspect a lot of went wrong with Mass Effect 3 was due to inappropriate marketing influences, and I could all too easily see this being an offshoot of "Skyrim is the popular game, make a game like that". I'm hoping DA:I is going to be a return to form for Bioware, but as someone who usually buys Bioware RPGs at release but re-evaluated that due to disappointment with Mass Effect 3, I'm still leaning towards waiting a month or three to see the consensus on how it turned out.

Maybe they're doing what Skyrim is doing, but the main story isn't poo poo and 4 hours long?

TES games really wouldn't be so different from other RPGs if it actually made the main part of the game not so mediocre compared to the "optional" content.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Penakoto posted:

Maybe they're doing what Skyrim is doing, but the main story isn't poo poo and 4 hours long?

TES games really wouldn't be so different from other RPGs if it actually made the main part of the game not so mediocre compared to the "optional" content.
But if the main story isn't poo poo*, then it wouldn't be Skyrim. :colbert:

Kind of serious there, Bethesda's RPG style is to be expansive, but shallow - there's heaps to do, but none of it can afford to be very deep. If Bioware puts more emphasis on the story then there isn't enough development resources to be properly expansive. It's not the same.

It's like Fallout 3 compared to Fallout New Vegas. While I liked Vegas more, the exploring was better in Fallout 3. It's a different emphasis in design.

(* I didn't actually get that far in the main story of Skyrim, while still sinking dozens of hours into the game).

• Locked thread