Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chewy Bitems posted:

Do you have a list of the requirements for each weapon that you're working from or anything? There was one posted earlier but it was using the Japanese version and so really difficult to follow.

Using the one on GameFAQ's, it lists the main missions in Japanese but everything else in English and it has a step by step guide so it's easy to figure out which missions you need. Just not easy to do.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How do I get more weapon types for my custom unit dude for Chronicle mode? I haven't even made a guy yet cuz only being able to start with like 5 of the weapon types was kind of a turn off.

You unlock other weapon types by maxing out friendship with different characters, which is easy to do but it's also kind of hard to unlock a particular set if you wanted to, thanks to the fairly random nature of Chronicle mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I just picked up SW4 and I have absolutely no idea what is going on

I don't suppose there's a decent YouTube video or something that explains the game mechanics or walks beginners through it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there anything specific you're having trouble with? A lot of things can be safely ignored as long as you're constantly poking the right person with your sword, bow or bowsword, Warriors games are incredibly simple games dressed up with complex stuff and menus that hide away useful information.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hyrule Warriors getting Amiibo support:

http://gematsu.com/2014/11/hyrule-warriors-getting-amiibo-support-month

Basically using the Link Amiibo gives Link a new weapon, the Spinner from Twilight Princess. All the Amiibos that work with Smash also work, and tapping them in Hyrule Warriors gives you a random weapon/item or some Rupees.

Watch the spinner suck to use as bad as Lana's Deku stick.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Using the one on GameFAQ's, it lists the main missions in Japanese but everything else in English and it has a step by step guide so it's easy to figure out which missions you need. Just not easy to do.

You unlock other weapon types by maxing out friendship with different characters, which is easy to do but it's also kind of hard to unlock a particular set if you wanted to, thanks to the fairly random nature of Chronicle mode.

cool, thanks for the heads up.

o.m. 94 posted:

I just picked up SW4 and I have absolutely no idea what is going on

I don't suppose there's a decent YouTube video or something that explains the game mechanics or walks beginners through it?

Here's the tutorial from Dynasty Warriors 8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2vCkbFg3DQ - just skip from 4:30 to 7:05 & ignore the text box stuff from 8:35-9:50 as this all deals with DW8 features. Not the best help, sorry but it hopefully will give you a bit of a clue.

I was surprised when I seen that the tutorials in SW4 are all text screens.

Chewy Bitems fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 6, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If I knew the great sword in chronicle mode came with a gun, I wouldn't have waited so long to start it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, I'm getting really sick of DW8's star objectives. They weren't bad until Jin and Lu Bu. A few of Jin's seem to almost require two players, and some of Lu Bu's are really vague or finnicky. There's really no reason to make the objectives hidden until you complete them, it's not like it's fun to try and figure them out, or even difficult to do so in most cases, but sometimes the obvious objectives have really specific requirements. I just did the map where you're supposed to save Yuan Shao from all the traps, and I never left his side except for the time when the objective requires you to, and it still didn't flag as complete.

I really like the hypothetical route idea in theory, but I think I'm just going to play A route for Jin and Lu Bu and then do ambition mode before putting the game to bed and waiting for Empires.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If I knew the great sword in chronicle mode came with a gun, I wouldn't have waited so long to start it.

I've unlocked a bunch of officer weapons, but I still use the great sword. The twin swords are kinda neat too, but they don't get a gun.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, I'm getting really sick of DW8's star objectives. They weren't bad until Jin and Lu Bu. A few of Jin's seem to almost require two players, and some of Lu Bu's are really vague or finnicky. There's really no reason to make the objectives hidden until you complete them, it's not like it's fun to try and figure them out, or even difficult to do so in most cases, but sometimes the obvious objectives have really specific requirements. I just did the map where you're supposed to save Yuan Shao from all the traps, and I never left his side except for the time when the objective requires you to, and it still didn't flag as complete.

I really like the hypothetical route idea in theory, but I think I'm just going to play A route for Jin and Lu Bu and then do ambition mode before putting the game to bed and waiting for Empires.

The only Jin objective I remember being hard to do was the "kill Wen Qin last" one, and that's really easy if you play the map as Sima Shi. I didn't have any trouble with saving Yuan Shao, so I can't help there.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Maleketh posted:

I've unlocked a bunch of officer weapons, but I still use the great sword. The twin swords are kinda neat too, but they don't get a gun.

The only Jin objective I remember being hard to do was the "kill Wen Qin last" one, and that's really easy if you play the map as Sima Shi. I didn't have any trouble with saving Yuan Shao, so I can't help there.

Killing wen Qin last is horrible, and I don't see how you can do the one where you stop Zhuge Dan from loving up without two people, given how he somehow manages to gently caress up on two ends of the map at once.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Killing wen Qin last is horrible, and I don't see how you can do the one where you stop Zhuge Dan from loving up without two people, given how he somehow manages to gently caress up on two ends of the map at once.

Killing Wen Qin last is easy if you use Sima Shi, since there's no practical time limit to complete the objective. As for Zhuge Dan, I don't remember it being an issue. Maybe you just got RNG-screwed?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

So I'm playing DW8XL Complete for the first time and I just painstakingly ground my way to the end of Ambition mode only to find myself in... a way loving cooler version of Ambition mode? Why was this not what I was playing to begin with?? :psyduck:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The first one was effectively from DW8. This second one is the XL one. You have to go through one to reach the other. And this version's more annoying than most-people lost in battle have to regained though the first version(which is still available).

It's Empires without proper Morale management-and that gets painful when people die in seconds with no way to stop it, moreso than even in the normal game where everything is scripted.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Bloodly posted:

It's Empires without proper Morale management-and that gets painful when people die in seconds with no way to stop it, moreso than even in the normal game where everything is scripted.

Holy poo poo I am buying Empires in a heartbeat when it comes out, this is the most fun I've had in this game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

5er posted:

Watch the spinner suck to use as bad as Lana's Deku stick.

I think you mean Lana's Summoning Gate. God that thing is slow and useless.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there any reason to continue using someone as my second in Chronicle mode, after I have their weapon and friendship maxed out? Other than just liking the character, obviously.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Naotora Li has a fun gameplay and weapons, but her personality and character model suck so bad. She is basically the worst things to come from anime.

Golden/4th/Super/Best Weapon
If you need help getting one of the 4th weapons (I guess it's 2nd now) you can easily get them in chronicle. It is time consuming, as you need to have atleast 75% of the biographies and had to uncover the whole country. Once you get there, look for some golden (more like orangy-yellow) version of the battle icon on the map (the red crossed-swords). That one is a special battle where you can get the best weapon version of whatever officer you have as your second and the weapon you're currently holding (so don't take yukimura if you are using his lance). The way it works is you get about 5 or 6 optional missions and two of these will get you a golden weapon (the first one, "kill these 4 dudes" is alway a golden weapon). Be careful, because generally the second or third objective is to kill certain offices in the order they tell you (so if, say the prompt says "Joe, Matt and Chris joined the battle or whatever, kill Joe first, Matt second and Chris third.) Also, don't kill every officer inmediatly after you see 'em, because some will ask for a minimum combo count to clear the objective to get the best weapon. Once you cleared the two special objectives (instead of the regular weapon box you see in the regular mission reward, it's golden so you know) you can just gently caress around and wait for the boss to appear or you can clear the objectives for extra exp.

Also, nothing beat having this picture flash right before you beat the poo poo out of some mooks with a lacrosse stick.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Vincent posted:

Naotora Li has a fun gameplay and weapons, but her personality and character model suck so bad. She is basically the worst things to come from anime.

Gomen nasai! :ohdear:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there any reason to continue using someone as my second in Chronicle mode, after I have their weapon and friendship maxed out? Other than just liking the character, obviously.

Not really, other than for grabbing their rare weapon, I switch as soon as I'm max friendship.

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Characters normally have a cap on their max stats. Stimulus lets you keep getting stat ups after the cap, effectively letting you make any character an unkillable god if you grind them enough. Too bad that skill is only on Unique weapons, IIRC, meaning that you've already done the hardest thing you'd need to do with that character! Unless you got said weapon in Chronicle, I guess.

Just a note, you can get Stimulus on any weapon. It's not even that rare from my experience of playing on non-stop Hard / Nightmare since I got the game.

My Mitsuhide has a Moon Slasher with Resurrection, Stimulus AND Reaper, from midway through the Oda Story. As if Mitsuhide did not already make the game easy mode on any difficulty. Only way this weapon could be better is slapping on Ice and Momentum I think.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Vincent posted:

Yea. I put her weapon on a custom character and it's apparently bugged. The boots point down from the CAWs feet instead of properly aligning with them. It's too bad, because the moveset is pretty fun. Except, I like Naotora Ii's model. I agree on the personality, though.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Dumb SW4 Chronicle mode question: Am I missing a difficulty setting somewhere? I melt through everything in that mode, and I feel like I'm probably missing out on better drops or something not setting it to something higher. But I don't think I ever see a chance for that.

Davincie posted:

you can go into options to set the difficulty while on the map of japan

Told you it was a dumb question. Thanks!

-Dethstryk- fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 7, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you can go into options to set the difficulty while on the map of japan

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The demo for SW Chronicle 3 is out in Japan for 3DS/Vita, you get free stuff for completing it.

Here's a huge video of a guy playing the Vita demo a bunch. I started the video when actual gameplay begins, as roughly 2/3rds of this 40 minute long video are the guy going through every single customization option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXi0k-TjOqE&t=1668s

KT USA knows there's a demand for this one so hey maybe we'll get it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I can't watch the video because I'm at work, but is it just straight up chronicle mode but on vita? Or is it an expanded thing with more stuff to do.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I was getting frustrated at Gauntlet Mode and wondering why it wasn't saving the items I was getting in the level, I was wondering "Do I lose items if a member of my party dies? Do items just disappear as miasma levels get higher?"

Then I realized that Pheasant's Wing and Pheasant Wing are two different items. What idiot thought that was a good idea?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

The same jerks that thought that Alactrity--which gives you the all-health-and-musou-recovering wine for 500 combo hits, translated it as giving you the winged boots :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy poo poo, Naotora Ii's attacking from horseback animation. Pairing her with Tadakatsu Honda for the Tokugawa story is hilarious.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So it seems the limiting factor on getting everyone's 5 star weapon in Ultimate is the dumb poo poo in treasure chests, not the personal items you get from the officers. I have like 6-8 of everyone's PIs but can't craft any level 5s because I can't find things like Pheasant Wing or Tiger Bone to save my life. Of course, I can find Pheasant's Wings and Tiger's Bones just fine...but they're not the same thing!

Still I was able to get Susano'o's 5 star which has a whopping 193 attack power so I'm pretty much stomping everything in Gauntlet Mode right now...but of course, I am only still on one star stages and I'm pretty sure that's going to change real quick.

Question though: how do I get different colored keystones? I apparently get them from beating levels, I understand that, because I have about 10 red keystones right now and every stage I've been in has been a red keystone level. But I can't unlock the other levels because I don't have any purple/yellow/cyan keystones, and I'm not sure how to get them. Does changing the stage contents change the keystones it'll drop?

Also in the Hinokawa map (the one with the ships in the middle of it) there's one treasure chest sitting out in the middle of nowhere that I can't seem to get. I wonder if that's a programming error or if I'm supposed to be able to get it somehow and I don't know how.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

For anyone still having issues with bad partner pathfinding in SW4, I stumbled upon a simple solution: switch to your partner, then back. Doing so seems to reset the pathfinding and get your partner unstuck. A double-tap of the switch button is literally all you need.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

Question though: how do I get different colored keystones? I apparently get them from beating levels, I understand that, because I have about 10 red keystones right now and every stage I've been in has been a red keystone level. But I can't unlock the other levels because I don't have any purple/yellow/cyan keystones, and I'm not sure how to get them. Does changing the stage contents change the keystones it'll drop?

Gauntlet Mode is meant to be played through "four times". Red Keystones are the first you unlock and that unlocks I believe yellow keystones, which expand the floors and give you more difficult levels. Beating Gauntlet mode for the second time will grant you the third types of keystone, once more will unlock the fourth keystone. The oddest thing is that Hundun--the Gauntlet Boss shows up only in the red keystone area, so if you want to "beat all of the gauntlet mode levels" for trophies sake, completing any of the blue and yellow ones for the second and third playthroughs are completely inconsequential and pointless. I wouldn't even use them for farming: I got all of my farming for materials and most of my officer searching done in my first playthrough. It was only into some yellow keystone levels that I got my last few, but I'm sure that you can just pick a level and change the contents of it to reset the officer roster showing up there, and try farming that way.

So yes, if you want to complete all of the gauntlet levels, just rush to your fourth playthrough (rush to clear the red stages until you get to the next floor, repeating till you find Hundun: both of which should be easy, they should be the floors without any officers/"???"s in the enemy officer slots), then once you unlock all four keystone types, just have fun rushing/mowing through the levels.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ah okay, really I'm most interested in unlocking Hundun anyway. I'll probably go for the trophies later (because I'm a masochist) but Hundun looks super cool and I just want to play him.

Saw an otherworld invader party that had Orochi and sadly wasn't able to get the Sworn Ally drop from him though. I hear that some of the higher tier characters like Orochi/Orochi X/Kyubi are really rare to find in Gauntlet mode.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Yeah it took me a while to find Orochi, Kyubi, and Tamamo.

But they aren't that necessary when the real Gauntlet mode destroyers are Xu Shu, Ginchiyo, Kaguya, Ayane, etc...

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Morter posted:

But they aren't that necessary when the real Gauntlet mode destroyers are Xu Shu, Ginchiyo, Kaguya, Ayane, etc...

Any character with a Samurai Warriors-style Musou attack is a destroyer of Gauntlet Mode. With Absorb 10 you can attain perpetual invincibility.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Morter posted:

They're necessary if you want the trophy for collecting all characters in Gauntlet mode though. :v:

Actually I'm finding that Mitsuhide rocks faces with his R1 and Frenzy, Osmosis, and Absorption. Also have Blast on there too though I'm not sure if Blast affects his R1.

I already know Xu Shu is a god in Gauntlet, though I haven't unlocked him yet. Right now I'm going with Zhang Fei (who's been promoted 9 times), Mitsuhide, Susano'o, Zhao Yun, and Nuwa.

I did find out that even though Speed caps out at 200, you can still use items to increase it past 200. I have Zhang Fei with the Charm of Alacrity (sadly only a level 17 though) so he has a 234 speed right now. Pretty sure he's faster than Red Hare.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ginchiyo and Kaguya are the ones I use to spam R1 if I don't feel like being in infinite musou

But certain characters, namely Ayane, Kaguya and Tamamo--with AoE, multi-hitting musou are a beast if you give them Bombast, which triggers 10 second infinite musou every 500 hits. Basically you can run around getting chests, killing enemies, farming drops, whatever. The enemy flow only starts to slow down after around 3500 kills, so that's plenty of time to hope for either sworn allies or unique drops. It also completely kills much of any challenge. But then again, I feel like with how peons can one shot maxed out officers, that using game-breaking techniques like that is the logical conclusion to "beating" Gauntlet mode.

Also, my fastest characters have 370+ speed :flashfact:

Morter fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 10, 2014

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Maleketh posted:

Any character with a Samurai Warriors-style Musou attack is a destroyer of Gauntlet Mode. With Absorb 10 you can attain perpetual invincibility.

Emphasis mine, because this is also a truism for DW8 in general.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm missing two officer bios in Chronicle Mode in SW4, the one betwwen Kozuke Anayama and Motozane Anbe. The second is the one between Katatane Shirai and Munezane Shiroishi. Anyone knows where to find them on the map?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Vincent posted:

I'm missing two officer bios in Chronicle Mode in SW4, the one betwwen Kozuke Anayama and Motozane Anbe. The second is the one between Katatane Shirai and Munezane Shiroishi. Anyone knows where to find them on the map?

I'm still struggling with #311. All signs point to Tokugawa or Date but after grinding and fighting everyone related to the two I'm having no luck.

Also this might help

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh hey can someone check out their WO3U and see what event is between Ryu's appearance and Taigong Wang telling Shuten Doji he can help him? I'm missing that event somehow despite having beaten every stage in story mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Trying to decide which is more likely to break me for the SW4 Plat, 100% objectives complete or beat every stage with every available character. At least the second one is just a matter of time and doesn't require a guide.