Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Like, you need a few seconds to figure out what they're actually saying, potentially quite a bit longer than it takes to read and process subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

everythingWasBees posted:

Like, you need a few seconds to figure out what they're actually saying, potentially quite a bit longer than it takes to read and process subtitles.

...noooooooo? I mean, maybe if you,ve got some kind of problem understanding basic conversations or something?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, gotten caught up with the show.

I like it, so far. Was having a little bit of trouble keeping up with the setting and character motivations until reading the thread, but not to the extent that I was completely lost, and I have to give the writing credit for never really pulling out the old "As you know, the Space War of 0079 is the Reason Things Are Now Like This." Still waiting for Aida and Noredo to actually matter to the plot, and it'd be nice to know what a Kuntala is, too.

I was actually following along with Bellri's plan pretty well, though - that was always pretty clear. He ran off with Aida on the spur of the moment, accidentally dragging Noredo and Raraiya around with him, decided to try and bring back some intel before making what he assumes will be an easy escape. Then he kills Cahill and starts feeling like he owes the Amerians and generally putting off his return, and now poo poo's hit the fan.

That last fight scene was really loving cool, even if it got a little hard to tell exactly what had happened in the moments leading up to Dellensen's death.

I really, really like how this show looks and sounds.

I really like Klim. He's kind of arrogant and pompous and not as good a pilot as he boasts, but he doesn't come off as completely incompetent and seems relatively friendly and down to earth. He could easily have been an annoying stereotype.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 6, 2014

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The kuntala thing has been explained in side materials apparently. Supposedly at the end of the Universal Century food resources got so low that humans were grown...for food. The descendants of these food people were then known as "kuntala". It's a pretty fitting end for UC, really.

I also think it works as a pun on a certain disgusting English word.

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008
So basically space Burakumin then? As in the whole "You ancestors were considered lower class people so we'll treat you like poo poo" thing.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Raxivace posted:

The kuntala thing has been explained in side materials apparently. Supposedly at the end of the Universal Century food resources got so low that humans were grown...for food. The descendants of these food people were then known as "kuntala". It's a pretty fitting end for UC, really.

I also think it works as a pun on a certain disgusting English word.

Uh...if you can grow people en masse as livestock then shouldn't you also be able to just take whatever you're feeding those guys, and give it to the regular people you're ostensibly doing this to support instead? :psyduck:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Your way is not grimdark enough.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Pureauthor posted:

Your way is not grimdark enough.

Look, I'm just questioning the judgement of hypothetical future people here, it just doesn't seem like reasonable choice to me.

...then again the Federal leadership during ZZ were perfectly happy to let a colony drop wreck the crap out of Ireland because of "overpopulation", so maybe the people of the Universal Century just forgot that A Modest Proposal was supposed to be a satire?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Did it get specified that the Kunlata were grown for food? I thought they were just the people who got eaten when society collapsed at the end of the UC. I can imagine that happening on a resource-starved space colony, or even Earth's completely hosed late-UC environment. Seems more likely than cloning tech still kicking around, but not having the capacity to 3D print a bunch of cows or something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't know where or how it was actually confirmed, but that's just what I've heard and seen written all over the internet.

Admittedly I don't know what the original source of that information is.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
I'm pretty sure the "grown for food" part is a mistranslation. It seems far more likely they they were an ethnic minority that were already getting poo poo on so when people got desperate they found it easier to eat people they were already demonizing. And now that everyone has food again they went back to making GBS threads on kuntala instead of making GBS threads them out.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think there are possible (stupidly grim-dark) scenarios where people could be grown for food. It wouldn't be a resource scarcity thing though. It'd be like if you lived on an isolated space colony and had no livestock, and you only had some sort of synthesized protein paste to eat that tasted vile... if you were a horrifically amoral class of rich people with absolute power over the poor, you might start eating them. Naturally you'd have to stop thinking of them as people, but as a separate class of things... and that prejudice could outlast the cannibalism.

But really, rather than hanging on ever word of a possibly shoddily translated rumor, I think it's probably best to wait until they say something in the actual show.

I'd bet if it's actually to do with cannibalism, it would have to do with eating people during a crisis, rather than actually raising them for food.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

We'll find out that Gundam Reconguista in G is actually the sequel to Snowpiercer in the very last episode. Calling it now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eiba posted:

But really, rather than hanging on ever word of a possibly shoddily translated rumor, I think it's probably best to wait until they say something in the actual show.

Welp.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I think part of the problem with this show is that it's too fast.

I'm fine with not having Bellri give us an internal monologue of "Aha! This is my chance to gather intel on the Amerian pirates! I should pretend to co-operate and work with them and then escape with the knowledge I gained!"

But the problem is that we didn't get enough time with Bellri prior to him enacting that plan to develop a sense of his character and determine that was the sort of thing he'd be likely to do, so when he does do it, it's hard to fathom his motivations at first.

And I still don't really understand why everyone seems so quick to let their prisoners pilot Gundams. I get the idea that probably the capital guard allowed Aida to escape, but I'm not sure why the Amerians are so cheery about Bellri going off in the G-Self all the time...

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Oh god please tell me that's not what it is in the show.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

The_White_Crane posted:

but I'm not sure why the Amerians are so cheery about Bellri going off in the G-Self all the time...

It mostly seems to be "Hey, free pilot." :v:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

NotALizardman posted:

Oh god please tell me that's not what it is in the show.

Kuntala were supposed to be food according to rumor, but it happened so long ago that the people in the show aren't sure about the veracity, and only the prejudice remains.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Kuntala were supposed to be food according to rumor, but it happened so long ago that the people in the show aren't sure about the veracity, and only the prejudice remains.

I'm okay with that, as long as they don't confirm the rumor later in the show or whatever. People believe all kinds of dumb poo poo about history.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I thought this new episode was a mixed bag, in terms of character interaction it ranks pretty high, even Bell's mom is starting to do stuff of her own accord, but they must have blown the animation budget for a while because the action is incredibly sloppy in a variety of shots.

The Jahanam's look real cool animated though, and even in the sloppy low rent fight some cuts were well done, so hopefully that doesn't remain a constant.

The next episode preview looked better at least, on that front.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Sharkopath posted:

Bell's mom

She and I had the same reaction to seeing that goddamn hippo. She's cool in my book.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

John Carstairs posted:

She and I had the same reaction to seeing that goddamn hippo. She's cool in my book.

She puts a hippo in every room she might visit, it's the most functional form of therapy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Aila really can't hit a drat thing with that rifle :sigh:.

Yeah, that was a pretty clear answer not a minute in to the episode :munch:.

edit I'm kinda sad the Amorzagan was so big. Now there's bugger-all chance of it getting an HG kit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aila really can't hit a drat thing with that rifle :sigh:.

Yeah, that was a pretty clear answer not a minute in to the episode :munch:.

edit I'm kinda sad the Amorzagan was so big. Now there's bugger-all chance of it getting an HG kit.

And yet, when Bell calls her on that, her response is "Don't tell me what to do!" :allears: Dammit girl.

G-Reco reminded me of a Final Fantasy game when I saw the first episode. It starts by chucking words and concepts at you, expecting you to know what they are like it's common sense, and you have to play catch up to understand what is going on. Once you've nailed down the basics, things make more sense.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Best moment of the episode right here. :awesomelon: :respek: :cool:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So our heroes' friendly neighbourhood Big Zam has shown up. Wish Bellri'd got a bit more time piloting that Zaku, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

So our heroes' friendly neighbourhood Big Zam has shown up. Wish Bellri'd got a bit more time piloting that Zaku, though.

It's clearly a Dom. The Grimoires are Zakus :colbert:. And yeah, I was expecting Raraiya to beat the poo poo out of Mask with the G-Self while Bellri ran support.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So that was... mediocre. Better than the first four, worse than the last two. Animation seemed all over the place, including one shot that made it look like they'd briefly remembered the G-Arcane is a transforming mobile suit before it turned out that it was just poorly animated.

Bell's mother has more or less deserted, so her relevance to the plot as anything other than one more hanger on is in question. Moe-blob proves that she's worthless in combat unless her brain damage gets fixed. Aida continues to have almost no relevance to the plot or combat now that they are back on the ship, and fails to hit a single target, ever. Bell shows no negative side effects from having murdered his instructor. The plot is stuck in a grand 'nowhere'. Seriously, we're seven episodes into a twentyfive episode series and the only goal anyone appears to have is 'don't get murdered by the capital army'. This is a laudable goal, but it makes the series feel like its spinning its wheels.

I really wanted Raraya to kick some rear end. :sigh:

Edit: While traditional gundam shows as far back as the original do have the whole 'don't get murdered' as a plot, they generally append it to 'don't get murdered while heading to x' location.

Caros fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 7, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's clearly a Dom. The Grimoires are Zakus :colbert:. And yeah, I was expecting Raraiya to beat the poo poo out of Mask with the G-Self while Bellri ran support.

No, the Hecate is the Dom. The Jahannams are obvious Zakus. Come to think of it, though, the Grimoire is the only Amerian suit without an obvious counterpart. The Zaku I, maybe?

And yeah, it would have been fun to see Raraya making like every other brain-damaged mystery girl in Gundam and wiping the floor with the Mask Team while laughing madly. Sadly, it was not to be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

So that was... mediocre. Better than the first four, worse than the last two. Animation seemed all over the place, including one shot that made it look like they'd briefly remembered the G-Arcane is a transforming mobile suit before it turned out that it was just poorly animated.

Bell's mother has more or less deserted, so her relevance to the plot as anything other than one more hanger on is in question. Moe-blob proves that she's worthless in combat unless her brain damage gets fixed. Aida continues to have almost no relevance to the plot or combat now that they are back on the ship, and fails to hit a single target, ever. Bell shows no negative side effects from having murdered his instructor. The plot is stuck in a grand 'nowhere'. Seriously, we're seven episodes into a twentyfive episode series and the only goal anyone appears to have is 'don't get murdered by the capital army'. This is a laudable goal, but it makes the series feel like its spinning its wheels.

I really wanted Raraya to kick some rear end. :sigh:

Not really. The military is seriously building up now, for one thing. They've picked up a Battleship/Carrier, thanks to the RD department, that DOESN'T LOOK AT ALL LIKE AN AMERIAN SHIP, and they've more or less taken over the Undernut now. What the plot's actually hanging on is when the Threat From Above is finally going to show up and flip the table on everything. Bellri's mother pretty much had to get out of Dodge, because they're setting her up in an isolated spot, under the Military's jurisdiction, away from the Capital where they can keep her from interfering.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Its in a holding pattern right now, but I think it was budgeted that way to begin with. It's filler and a piece of the plot they could save some resources on producing, even if I think it looks not good.

The Amerian space fleet is still in orbit somewhere above the capital, the Megafauna is being ordered back up as part of their overall operational plan to occupy the capital, the Balloon Thing this episode was them just trying out a decoy to cover their movements.

The Mom actually leaving the capital gives her way more plot relevance than she had before, she spent all her time in the capital and the undernut and direct exposure to the troubles of the pirates and amerian people could give her more insight into the problems the energy rationing is causing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If Tomini kills the cool mom I will write him an angry letter.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Caros posted:

Aida continues to have almost no relevance to the plot or combat now that they are back on the ship, and fails to hit a single target, ever.

They should give her a weapon designed for something besides shooting boats. Although I think at least two people have already pointed that out to her...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Carstairs posted:

They should give her a weapon designed for something besides shooting boats. Although I think at least two people have already pointed that out to her...

I'll be okay with her not being able to do more than worry the Cait Siths and Elf Brooks if she sinks that new carrier the Mask Corps have with that Anti-Ship Rifle. And then climb aboard and slice the gently caress outta what's left with it in Sword mode.

Caros
May 14, 2008

John Carstairs posted:

Again, this was an intentional choice on the behalf of the writers, which does not in any way excuse it. Reconguista in G is not a historical retelling, it is fiction. If they wanted Aida to be useful in combat, they would have made her useful in combat.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

If Tomini kills the cool mom I will write him an angry letter.

Moms are tough...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

Moms are tough...

If she actually flips sides or lives on to see the end of the series she's the person with the most experience and authority to head up a revised version of the space elevator.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Caros posted:

Again, this was an intentional choice on the behalf of the writers, which does not in any way excuse it. Reconguista in G is not a historical retelling, it is fiction. If they wanted Aida to be useful in combat, they would have made her useful in combat.

I do not disagree with you on that point.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'll be okay with her not being able to do more than worry the Cait Siths and Elf Brooks if she sinks that new carrier the Mask Corps have with that Anti-Ship Rifle. And then climb aboard and slice the gently caress outta what's left with it in Sword mode.

This would be pretty sweet if it happened though. But she still needs a less unwieldy backup weapon for smaller targets . Yeesh...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Next episode looks pretty great. We get Aida's dad, Bell's mom and more Mask!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

John Carstairs posted:

One day they'll fight a boat, and drat it, you'll be happy she had that thing then.

Kind of filler-ish episode, but it moved a couple plots along. Plus there were a couple more Under Nut scenes! The preview makes it look like next episode should give us a better look at what's going on in Ameria (or at least give us more Amerian characters who are relevant). Possibly leading to some sort of internal conflict, because... that was a loving Big Zam, and a Big Zam is something to fight against not along side. Or at least that'd be the convention. If we just plain have a Big Zam ally for the next few fights that'd be hilarious and awesome.

Looking forward to Bellri's mother coming to visit.

Edit:

Caros posted:

Well, yeah. Right now they're keeping her out of combat to let protagonist Bellri be the hero, but also not having her be a chump like Klim Nick. She's got an inappropriate weapon, so it's not like she's a bad pilot, but she's also ineffectual enough that Bellri gets to do everything.

I'd like her to do more poo poo too, but there's only so many times you can be upset with her for not being the protagonist.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 7, 2014

• Locked thread