Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Nah. It's definitely got the best final fight though.

Out. Out of this thread with your badpinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's still really good. :shobon:

Also forgot that since it has Kira it has the best villain as well.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Don't you dare call Johnny worse than Jonathan.

I just did. Whatcha gonna do, nerd?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Great Hair is the best JoJo for me because he has a bit of everything.
Johnny is the best as a realised character.

All other JoJo's are great, but Jonathan is bland and I reserve judgement GioGio entirely because of bad translations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Angry Walrus posted:

Uznare posted:

Out. Out of this thread with your badpinions.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Reading through steel ball run, I ran into this page

Is araki saying vampires are some weird form of stand?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Torquemadras posted:

I still can't quite wrap my head around Soft & Wet. It's easy to explain, but so incredibly vague once you think about it.

So, he can shoot bubbles, which steal something, even intangible things, and stores them in the bubbles. When those bubbles burst, the stolen thing comes out. We've seen Josuke steal cat's hair, sight, water from a body, smell, sound... Apparently he can steal absolutely anything temporarily. Is it one of those crazy powers that are effectively only limited by imagination? Could Josuke kill someone instantly by stealing their life? (And even revive others by transfering that bubble to them?) Is his power entirely based on theft puns in Japanese?

Oh well. Not that it matters, really - Part 8 seems to barely contain any classic Punchman battles (there's that stone dude, and... that's it), and more battle puzzles... or just puzzles, for that matter. Which is sweet.

I’m sure S&W could just straight-up steal someone’s 「life」 if Josuke really wanted, but he hasn’t really had any situation where he WOULD want to, yet. He wants to find out who he is, and killing someone won’t help him answer those questions. He can probably steal someone’s 「ability to lie」 if he can get someone in a position where he can interrogate them, though. I’m guessing the only reason he hasn’t done that yet to the Higashikatas is because he wants to keep them as allies, and still doesn’t know how some of their stands work.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Angry Walrus posted:

I'm going to stuff you into a locker.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Josuke's a pretty cool JoJo. Not a lot of development with him, he just hangs out with his friends, makes $$$ and punches people who are jerks.

His Stand is also super cool with a good color palette

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Condiv posted:

Reading through steel ball run, I ran into this page

Is araki saying vampires are some weird form of stand?

Maybe vampires aren't stands, but the masks are. It wouldn't make sense if they gave everyone the same stand, but maybe they're all part of a stand with the ability of giving others vampire powers. Could be one of those types that remain even after the user has died, like Anubis.

Or maybe Araki just drew that without thinking too much about it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Maybe the Stand Arrow was one of Kars' experiments that he threw out because it didn't give him immunity to sunlight?

Either that or he got a really lovely stand.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Neo_Crimson posted:

Maybe the Stand Arrow was one of Kars' experiments that he threw out because it didn't give him immunity to sunlight?

Either that or he got a really lovely stand.

IIRC, the arrows were made from a meteor that hit the earth. In the original timeline, Diavolo commissioned arrows to be made from the rock (I think Enya was hired to do that), and Dio managed to steal some before Diavolo could get them. Since that didn't happen in SBR, the meteor just sat in the U.S. and became the Devil's Hand. I think in-universe, they just assume the stone masks were like stands since almost no one could prove otherwise (Considering how many people in either timelines know about the Pillar Men).
:goonsay:

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

I didn't like how in Steel Ball Run characters could get a stand either by being in the Devil's Hand or by having a part of the Corpse inside of them. And the fact that you can lose your stand if you lose the Corpse part. In Jojolion the way people gain stand abilities is completely different. I think it's a bit confusing.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Pre-Steel Ball Run characters could be born with a stand, or get one by getting pricked with an arrow, or get one because a vampire with your great grandfather's body got a stand, or because a stand user knocked a stand out of someone and then into someone else.

There's no rhyme or reason to anything, people get punch ghosts because punch ghosts are cool and everything else is just a flimsy explanation Araki came up with to justify them.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Well the Devil’s Palm moves, it wouldn’t surprise me if it eventually settled where Morioh is and is giving people stands when they go underground. Although, it’s more likely that Jesus’ corpse is buried in the ground giving people stands.

As for corpse parts giving stands and then removing them, why did Johnny keep Tusk when he lost his corpse parts?

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
Johnny kept Jesus in his heart, that's why.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CodfishCartographer posted:

As for corpse parts giving stands and then removing them, why did Johnny keep Tusk when he lost his corpse parts?

If I'm not mistaken, didn't he always have a part of Jesus' vertebrae?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If I'm not mistaken, didn't he always have a part of Jesus' vertebrae?

Wait wait wait.

So you get a psychic punchghost when you have part of the body of Jesus.

Communion wafers are meant to represent the body of Christ.

Is the church giving out super powers?! :stare:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

What the gently caress!? No way! No loving way.

http://i.imgur.com/J66wt4K.png

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Johnny had the Corpse's spine taken from him by Hot Pants after the battle with Sandman, but she deliberately left in one vertebra so he could keep Tusk. That vertebra was later taken by Valentine after the battle with Axl Ro. I don't remember why he get to keep his stand after that though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He'd be ruthlessly murdered without it and he's not awesome like Gyro and can't live without it.

Don't associate Johnny with Jesus though, Jesus preferred Valentine.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Butt Ghost posted:

What the gently caress!? No way! No loving way.

http://i.imgur.com/J66wt4K.png

unlike the whole crew of 3 it takes johnny like 10 minutes to figure it out and beat it

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

unlike the whole crew of 3 it takes johnny like 10 minutes to figure it out and beat it

To be fair, Johnny and Diego were on horseback, so that made it easier for him to determine what was happening based on hoofprints.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Johnny got his poo poo wrecked and was left to die. DIO was beaten by someone else entirely.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
oh yah I guess all he does is succeed in not dying

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

To be fair, Johnny has an inhuman ability in being able to figure poo poo out. He somehow realized Valentine noticed his ear came off despite being nowhere near him, for example.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Part 5's Arrow midichlorians explanation was dumb though

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

a cartoon duck posted:

Johnny got his poo poo wrecked and was left to die. DIO was beaten by someone else entirely.

He almost beat him, even still, but those pesky female fans got in the way.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No cause someone else saves him when he shoots himself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

He was saved by someone so he did not even succeed in that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How dare you not refer to Stephen Steel by name? He was, like, the second best supporting character in Steel Ball Run.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How dare you not refer to Stephen Steel by name? He was, like, the second best supporting character in Steel Ball Run.

So who are you ignoring here? Hot Pants, Lucy Steel, Mountain Tim?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Finished Steel Ball Run, and now I am sad. I like the added fact that the child died of a cold, just to let us know that we can't even have that.

Potsticker posted:

Dino Daddy?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Whoops yeah I forgot Dino in that list, even.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Lucy Steel was the best.

I considered Hot Pants a main character, though I guess she doesn't show up often enough for that.

Mountain Tim was pretty great, though I was won over by the Steels a bit more.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

No, no. I can see where you're coming from with Hot Pants. She wasn't by Johnny and Gyro's side a lot, but she got a lot of page time and did a lot of important things.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Too bad she just sort of disappears after her fight with Valentine. We got to know the kid died of a loving cold, but not what happened to Hot Pants after the corpse was sealed up?

Anyway, I'm reading Jojolion now. It feels really good the be back in Morioh. Man I missed this town.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm pretty sure Hot Pants and Diego died during the Valentine fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It was really sudden with Hot Pants and kind of glazed over. I missed it the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I thought she observed Diego dying and that was the last we saw of her... Unless that was Lucy? I thought she was unconscious though. I might have made that up.

edit: She dies when a window frame absorbs into her and pierces her heart. I assumed she was just incapacitated, since Jojo characters usually survive something like that.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 7, 2014

• Locked thread