Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

TheeWasp posted:

Not even been looking in the direction of eve for the last 3 years, is it worth to start playing again?

Never been active here but i have been in goonfleet longer then on this forum, will that be a problem when/if applying to join goonwaffe?

yes, and then no, not if you're smart and read the op. to your questions in the order asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanage
Oct 17, 2014

The Locator posted:

Dumb question of the day. How do you get your transactions to display like that? Mine always just show up as a single line item like this (apparently I didn't have very many of whatever they took away):

Android app aura. I screen captured it then cropped the image.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Major Spag posted:

45min jump fatigue bridging from 2r to DKUK. :Cripesduck:

It's like 7 gates you dumbass.

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

pugnax posted:

Taking more than two consecutive gates in Deklein makes me very sad. The nice thing about being deployed on the other side of the galaxy is if you have no jump bridges there isn't this grating feeling in your mind when you take gates that you could be doing it faster.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

vulvamancer posted:

Taking more than two consecutive gates in Deklein makes me very sad. The nice thing about being deployed on the other side of the galaxy is if you have no jump bridges there isn't this grating feeling in your mind when you take gates that you could be doing it faster.

Well, now this feeling is wrong, since jump fatigue prevents you from doing it faster. Does this make you feel better? :v:

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Best advice I can give about Eve is to go play Elite Dangerous.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Best advice I can give about Eve is to go play Elite Dangerous.

Pretty much this.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bilirubin posted:

Oh I won't, but this is one of those Asus workstations with a 15" widescreen and nearly full sized keyboards. I strongly recommend them unless light and portable are your criteria for laptops.

If you are buying a laptop for reasons other than "it's light and portable" you're doing it wrong. Get a cheap desktop PC and a small craptop and enjoy superior computing performance and mobility. Get two cheap desktop PCs and a 2.5' external hard drive and enjoy superior computing performance in all two rooms you'd ever move your heavy rear end "mobile" workstation to. :smug:

pugnax posted:

Why would I ever take gates except to get to the next jump bridge? Oh right, :ccp:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 6, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

blowfish posted:

If you are buying a laptop for reasons other than "it's light and portable" you're doing it wrong. Get a cheap desktop PC and a small craptop and enjoy superior computing performance and mobility. Get two cheap desktop PCs and a 2.5' external hard drive and enjoy superior computing performance in all two rooms you'd ever move your heavy rear end "mobile" workstation to. :smug:

Why would I ever take gates except to get to the next jump bridge? Oh right, :ccp:
I see you don't travel for work. I want to play Skyrim and Eve at max settings while on the road. :colbert:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I see you don't travel for work. I want to play Skyrim and Eve at max settings while on the road. :colbert:

I just check my 1200w gaming rig in at the ticket counter.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
I miss travelling across Dek in 5 minutes. :(

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

pugnax posted:

6 gates too many!

Besides, my comment was over how ridiculously expensive jump fatigue is with regards to time.

Can I take all 7 gates? Yup, sure can. Do I want to? No. Will I have to? Only if I don't want the fatigue.

Edit: fixing grammar.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

pugnax posted:

He's got to move his officer fit ratting boat around without running into an inty fleet somehow.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

WhoNeedsAName posted:

He's got to move his officer fit ratting boat around without running into an inty fleet somehow.

It's PI/POS Fuel.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Ynglaur posted:

Just buy a second ~real computer~ to leave at home :smug:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Major Spag posted:

It's PI/POS Fuel.

So use an industrial. Epithial takes like no skills, has a huge PI hold, and gets a 90% fatigue reduction.

If it's super expensive valuable stuff train into a DST or Blockade Runner which still gets the fatigue bonus.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WhoNeedsAName posted:

It's not about safety, it's about convenience. Goons have been living with easy jump bridges for years, and setting aside all the pvp power projection stuff with bridges, it's just really nice to skip 7 tedious jumps when you can hit a bridge and be there in 30 seconds.

Jump fatigue puts back a lovely part of the game that we put a lot of effort into minimizing for ourselves.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

mrmcd posted:

So use an industrial. Epithial takes like no skills, has a huge PI hold, and gets a 90% fatigue reduction.

If it's super expensive valuable stuff train into a DST or Blockade Runner which still gets the fatigue bonus.

Christ people. YES this is likely what I am going to do from here on out. I'm just complaining over jump fatigue and that CCP was a bit retarded when they implemented the feature.

Jesus gently caress.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Major Spag posted:

Christ people. YES this is likely what I am going to do from here on out. I'm just complaining over jump fatigue and that CCP was a bit retarded when they implemented the feature.

Jesus gently caress.

I, too, am confused as to why everyone has to point out the obvious when you were complaining about a loss of convenience.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Major Spag posted:

Jesus gently caress.

You complain about something and then expect handjobs and parades. Shut up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Major Spag posted:

45min jump fatigue bridging from 2r to DKUK. :Cripesduck:

JohnSherman posted:

"God drat, PL's sword of damocles over every engagement in this Fountain war is a pain in the dick. What the gently caress is CCP thinking?"

"God drat, I can't use a jump bridge network to cross 3 regions in an hour anymore. What the gently caress is CCP thinking?"

This post was per-emptively mocked.

Hazdoc posted:

You complain about something and then expect handjobs and parades. Shut up.

Yeah but what about his ability to not have to take gates to avoid risk? CCP has gone too far with this change.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 6, 2014

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah but what about his ability to not have to take gates to avoid risk? CCP has gone too far with this change.

One could pose the argument that they've actually hurt content creation. Jump bridges were a source of content for people who camped jump bridges. Now that people don't want to take jump bridges as much, that content watering hole is drying up. There's also an added imperative to have two characters now so you can scout all 7 of the gates you have to jump, rather than checking intel and/or making one blind jump through a jump bridge.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

DisgracelandUSA posted:

One could pose the argument that they've actually hurt content creation. Jump bridges were a source of content for people who camped jump bridges. Now that people don't want to take jump bridges as much, that content watering hole is drying up. There's also an added imperative to have two characters now so you can scout all 7 of the gates you have to jump, rather than checking intel and/or making one blind jump through a jump bridge.

We give up people camping jump bridges for the possibility of catching caps and supers on gates, and the opportunity to burn somebody's home down because he deployed somewhere and is too far from home to come back and mount a defense. I'd take that trade. Besides, most people who don't live in organized sov null (like my fellow Groons) don't know the convenience of jump bridges. And it's not like JBs are gone, you just have to be smart about how you use them now, or just use an industrial.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DisgracelandUSA posted:

To add to what Hazdoc said, how does it hurt content creation? Camps can easily be set up in II-509, C7Y, and on the N-T gate in DKUK to catch any convoys on that route. The added benefit is, you can catch those people without them just bridging out without ever being caught. Jump Bridges aren't dead, they're still usable, you just can't use them with impunity anymore to cross a region.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

We give up people camping jump bridges for the possibility of catching caps and supers on gates, and the opportunity to burn somebody's home down because he deployed somewhere and is too far from home to come back and mount a defense. I'd take that trade. Besides, most people who don't live in organized sov null (like my fellow Groons) don't know the convenience of jump bridges. And it's not like JBs are gone, you just have to be smart about how you use them now, or just use an industrial.

I'd argue that saying "just use an industrial" is a stop-gap solution for the problem that jump-bridge sourced fatigue created with respect to PI / POS Fuel for towers. If the designers concede that taking an epithal or whatever 13 jumps through nullsec to fuel your tower is too tough, and as a result they provide some allowances on industrials to make that not as painful, then this is an exception to the rule of their design. Exceptions and special cases in design are that stuff inelegant design is made from. The same thing is true for jump freighters for a similar reason, but I have less of a personal problem with nerfs titan bridges and caps jumping than jump bridges.

I'd also say that jump bridges weren't what allowed people to reel in an overextended deployment. Jump bridges only helped you once you were back in your own SOV; they didn't really help you get through enemy sov, highsec, lowsec or npc nullsec. So I don't think neutering JBs really provides an opportunity to burn someone's home down because they deployed somewhere too far to come back and mount a defense. I think that's what the jump / titan bridge nerfs accomplish. I would say that it neuters a defenders ability to out-maneuver attackers, as JU Standing Fleet was wont to do. Whether that's good or bad, I'm not sure, but I'm leaning towards bad given the current fast-gang interceptor meta.

Unfunny Poster posted:

To add to what Hazdoc said, how does it hurt content creation? Camps can easily be set up in II-509, C7Y, and on the N-T gate in DKUK to catch any convoys on that route. The added benefit is, you can catch those people without them just bridging out without ever being caught. Jump Bridges aren't dead, they're still usable, you just can't use them with impunity anymore to cross a region.

Camps could already be set up in all those places along with a drag bubble on the DKUK JB. Smart people would warp to an off-grid safe from the JB, and scan the JB, see a bubble and potentially walk into a trap on any of the other out-gates. Now people can't necessarily take the jump bridge, but the result is still the same. Moreover, neutering jump bridges hasn't really offered us any new opportunities that we didn't have before (like camping all the out gates).

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Syndicated Octagonal Vaginas

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Unfunny Poster posted:

This post was per-emptively mocked.
Nobody's complaining about not being able to cross 3 regions with jump bridges. We're complaining about having a more difficult time moving around within our one region. You might have noticed that Dek is a hugely strung out region and that getting from one end to the other is a lot of gates. What used to take 2 minutes now takes 20. Power projection for both caps and subcaps got nerfed, yay, but one of the best things about owning space in terms of making the game more enjoyable got killed in the crossfire. It sucks.

quote:

Gates risk a gate camp, bridges risk a drag bubble, both are hardly any risk at all if you have an alt in a frigate to scout.

The real risks are that after 20 gates just to move some poo poo around I feel like quitting for the day because I'm bored and feeling like the game is a tedious shitfest, versus using 3 bridges and having a 9 hour fatigue counter which means I'm not joining any fleet activities until tomorrow.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

blowfish posted:

As suggested elsewhere I travel a lot for my job, and specifically bought this so I could bring my work with me on a 6 month sabbatical placement. I actually need this for graphics processing (I work with 3D volume renders of up to 1000 stacked jpgs). Its a work machine so I try not to litter it with games (but SW:TOR looks pretty spectacular at max settings). But your overall point stands, its a pain in the rear end to lug around.

e. How has target activity changed in Syndicate so far post patch, if at all?

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 6, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Major Spag posted:

Can I take all 7 gates? Yup, sure can. Do I want to? No. Will I have to? Only if I don't want the fatigue.

~Meaningful choices~

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Not sure why CCP felt the need to nerf pod jumping. Capitals teleporting around the map was a problem, people podding over to Syndicate for some pew wasn't.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Berious posted:

Not sure why CCP felt the need to nerf pod jumping. Capitals teleporting around the map was a problem, people podding over to Syndicate for some pew wasn't.

It was a preemptive strike. Recall that they said they would nerf jump cloning if these changes resulted in capital and super caches in each region with wide networks of jump clones able to mobilize in 19 hours.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

DisgracelandUSA posted:

It was a preemptive strike. Recall that they said they would nerf jump cloning if these changes resulted in capital and super caches in each region with wide networks of jump clones able to mobilize in 19 hours.

Only CCP would deploy such a sledgehammer to crack a theoretical nut.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

blowfish posted:

2.5' external hard drive

What era is this thing from?

Berious posted:

Only CCP would deploy such a sledgehammer to crack a theoretical nut.

I do wish they'd have let it play out to see exactly what kind of force that would make.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Podjumping was dumb and didn't make sense in a sandbox

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Berious posted:

Maybe, just maybe, CCP's goal was to discourage people from setting everyone within 4 regions of their capital blue.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Klyith posted:

The real risks are that after 20 gates just to move some poo poo around I feel like quitting for the day because I'm bored and feeling like the game is a tedious shitfest, versus using 3 bridges and having a 9 hour fatigue counter which means I'm not joining any fleet activities until tomorrow.

versus just saying "gently caress this" and playing Elite Dangerous instead?

I think that's the biggest risk, is that people just up and stop playing. Even before Pheobe it wasn't uncommon to spend an hour or two in a subcap stratop fleet maneuvering to and getting to a decent fight, and this was with jump brides that let us actually get out to the edge of our space somewhat quickly.

I don't know why anyone would do that now if they are intent on adding another couple hours onto that process This leaves... opportunistic raids through wormholes and hoping someone comes to fight you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Berious posted:

I suspect that they eliminated podjumping as a prelude to removing cloning costs entirely. The talking heads that be have long been crying for a change to cloning mechanics, but to remove or reduce cloning costs while leaving podjumping would be kind of stupid and unbalanced (teleport anywhere for FREE!). They just seem to have decided to bundle the change with the power projection nerf.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mrmcd posted:

I think that's the biggest risk, is that people just up and stop playing. Even before Pheobe it wasn't uncommon to spend an hour or two in a subcap stratop fleet maneuvering to and getting to a decent fight, and this was with jump brides that let us actually get out to the edge of our space somewhat quickly.

I don't know why anyone would do that now if they are intent on adding another couple hours onto that process This leaves... opportunistic raids through wormholes and hoping someone comes to fight you.

Eh, I preordered Elite and still plan on playing Eve. Both games are too different for me to see one as competitor for the other.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

mrmcd posted:

No, you see, they shrunk space because it will encourage fights, make more space available for smaller entities, and something else.

I'm sure someone there has a plan, but the way they announced and rolled it out was pure :ccp:

E: Then again, the warp speed changes happened.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

There's a bunch of chatter about a possible big announcement today, so that's interesting.

I definitely experienced the phoebe joy yesterday when I forgot to set my home station clone and woke up in NPC delve.

mrmcd posted:

Or just, you know, have less blues. :iiam:

• Locked thread