Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I parked on the street for a couple hours last night so a friend could come use my garage to visit and I guess SOME rear end in a top hat STOLE MY GAS CAP AFTER TRYING SIPHON MY TANK.

They didnt get poo poo because I parked on fumes intending to fill up today and I noticed atthe gas station my fill door was open and the cap was gone. And the lovely part is 73-75 Civics have a non standard gas cap size, its very tiny. '76 and up use the size cap that pretty much every honda used until they moved to plastic screw on emissions caps. Nobody has a gas cap that will fit. Oreillys and Napa have one listed as working for 73-75 but its the later size. Fuckers at the parts counter kept insisting it was the right one and that Im the one who was wrong and I kept saying Im not sure what part of it doesnt fit you dont get.

I remembered it had some unique tall tabs on the top so I started searching ebay for other vintage honda gas caps since I wasnt finding anything for Civics.

Well, found one :sigh:

But I sent the link to my dad who said it reminded him of the cap on his old Goldwing.

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

There are cures though.

I hope you have some kind of glass there, or grille, or spark arrestor of some sort. Because floofy kitties are flammable. :ohdear:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There's a chainmail screen in front the photo just washed out from the contrast. The kitty is probably safer there than when he sleeps on my butt

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Man, that sucks about the gas cap!

I have an n600, which should have the same cap as a z600, but I don't remember it looking like that...

Good luck on your quest!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I didn't think that syphoning gas was still a thing. Also what an rear end in a top hat for taking the gas cap too. Id it was a more modern car youd need to get the cel reset and crap on top of having gas stlolen.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

I didn't think that syphoning gas was still a thing. Also what an rear end in a top hat for taking the gas cap too. Id it was a more modern car youd need to get the cel reset and crap on top of having gas stlolen.

Same here. I'm pretty stupefied that people even bother siphoning gas anymore, unless you live in an area where gas prices are hilariously high still. I always thought it to be a crime of the times, where people are more likely to do it when gas prices are abnormally high and they feel like it's worth it. Trying to siphon it from an old Civic tank would net them at best $40 of gas, I think? Might as well try to siphon it from the Harley down the street. :stare:

loving weird, either way. Is there a way to rig a locking cover for the fuel nozzle either way? I saw on some older pictures of 1st-Gen Civics that some do look to have a key for the outside cover, which would make sense since these cars were introduced during the last gas crunch (and I bet siphoning was a huge problem back then as well) so can you swap up to one of those if you haven't already? Or maybe do a Home Depot mod with a lock and latch combo for the extra "I-don't-give-a-gently caress" look? Somehow chain it shut and live out your car BDSM fantasies?

That last one is my kink, don't shame me

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

People who smash your window to steal the stereo also probably sell it for $40 or whatever. You'd be surprised what desperate poor assholes will do for $40.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
$40 will still get you pretty high or drunk.

Have you checked at an auto parts store for a locking gas cap? Gas caps are more interchangeable than you might realize.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 214 days!)

EightBit posted:

Have you checked at an auto parts store for a locking gas cap? Gas caps are more interchangeable than you might realize.

Have you read this thread, or even his post?

EightBit posted:

$40 will still get you pretty high or drunk.

Evidently so.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

mafoose posted:

Man, that sucks about the gas cap!

I have an n600, which should have the same cap as a z600, but I don't remember it looking like that...

Good luck on your quest!

It is possible that that cap is mislabeled because it looks like the one that went missing off mine.

And why dont you have a thread about the N600 :unsmigghh:

E: and my gas door is "locking" in the sense that any sort of key inserted in it will turn it. Probably even a small flat blade. Its more of a visual deterrant than anything.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 4, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Part number is NLA from Honda (17670-568-674) but it is listed as compat across all 600s - N or Z. Take some measurements, I bet I can find a fancy replacement. 3.5 inch caps are usually motorcycles.

Ask at your local gas stations if they have a box of left-behind gas caps you can root through to see if any fit. One thing to consider is that you may not have the original tank and filler neck, depending on how much rear sheet metal Honda shares between their various shitboxes.

RockAuto has a few gas caps for a '75 Civic 1.2L or 1.5L, but it looks like it's a pretty common interchange (pre-93 Integras, poo poo tons of German cars, 70s American cars). $2.73 for a MotoRad MGC810.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 4, 2014

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ive already compared part numbers on rock auto an they are the same mislabeled cap as the one at Oreillys. The Goldwing cap I ordered and should be here in a few days. Crossing my fingers but it looks right. Also as far as amounts of fuel possibly recovered my tank is 8 gallons and I filled up at 7.6 :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
One of these days I'm going to get a job at Motorad, Bosch or AC Delco and burn the loving place down around me as I laugh and laugh and laugh.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Seems I dont have any measuring devices at the house so heres some visuals. On the left is the cap pulled from the blue parts car. On the right was the smallest cap I found after 2 hours in the rain at pick n pull from a late 70s or early 80 s Subaru. The Subaru cap is still too large. And then the only thing I could use for an easy scale reference.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
With his small that is I would not be surprised if you could find a sober from an old lawn mower.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm surprised gas nozzles even fit in there.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Go to autozone and ask for the oil fill cap for a 1992 Plymouth acclaim 2.5 4clyinder. Same style cap and I remember it being quite small. Worth a shot and worst case you return it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The main inner diameter of the fill neck is almost exactly the size of the outer diameter of the skinny portion of a nozzle, but it's close :v:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Unsurprisingly 13" likes it nice and tight. Do you use any lube or just jam it in hard?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I also found this part number for a '74 Civic: 17670-634-013P

Interchange is unhelpful:

quote:

Honda Accord 5MT STD 3D 1976, 1977
Honda Accord HMT STD 3D 1976, 1977
Honda CIVIC 1200 4MT 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977
Honda CIVIC 1200 HMT 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977
Honda Civic 4MT 2D 3D 1975, 1976, 1977
Honda Civic 4MT 5D 1975, 1976, 1977
Honda Civic 5MT 2D 3D 1975, 1976, 1977
Honda Civic HMT 2D 3D 1975, 1976, 1977
Honda Civic HMT 5D 1976, 1977

RockAuto says that that part number interchanges with a STANT #10810 fuel tank cap from an '89 Merc 300SE. That interchange list is a loving mile long though, so I have my doubts.

1.5" sounds about right to me dude. What was the part the desk jockeys gave you that doesn't fit?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=48586&cc=1194106

There's also a Gates which is probably the same part: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=100384&cc=1194106

It looks like searching for the Stant part straight up starts to reveal 1988-91 1.5L Civics which makes me think it's the newer part.

It still claims that the Motorad MGC782 and ACDelco 12F14L fit the Merc, but the Gates and Stant parts don't appear under the Civic, nor is the original part number mentioned. There's no spec for the 'bad' part size either.

Here you go. Lawn mower gas caps: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Patio-Lawn-Garden-Mower-Gas-Caps/zgbs/lawn-garden/155367011

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 4, 2014

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The Stant was visually idenical to the one I recieved at Oriellys. I'll double check the Oreillys part number.

E: MOTORAD Part # MGC810

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 4, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

The Stant was visually idenical to the one I recieved at Oriellys. I'll double check the Oreillys part number.

E: MOTORAD Part # MGC810

Yeah, that's on Canadian Tire's list too. I say try to find the Stant locally, or go for a lawnmower cap for comedy.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
It's really starting to sound like the thief was after the cap and not the gas.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bibendum posted:

Thats what I was thinking... dude didnt have his for years since he cant find one that fits. Was driving down the street saw your car and slammed on the brakes, got out and saw you had the cap then yoink.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 4, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

Thats what I was thinking... dude didnt have his for years since he cant find one that fits. Was driving down the street saw your car and slammed on the brakes, got out and saw you had the cap then yoink.

Should be easy to catch the guy if it comes down to a car chase, at least.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Bibendum posted:

Ding ding ding. I see other ancient civics around Seattle from time to time and you know those poor suckers are just as desperate for parts. Too bad they can't all be goons and get the secret intel on lawnmower caps.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

And why dont you have a thread about the N600 :unsmigghh:

I have trouble maintaining my one thread as it is, if I had a thread for each project, they'd all be in the archives hahaha.
I'm hoping to get it running again in the spring, this time on megasquirt.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Post some pictures here and I'll handle the megasquirt for you :wink:

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

A scientific rubber stopper could probably be subbed until the proper cap is found.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Probably about as well as the nitrile glove i have scruncheed over the filler neck currently :haw:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
condom would have been funnier.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Edited

Ignore me because I'm an rear end in a top hat who can't read before he replies.

iForge fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 5, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cursedshitbox posted:

condom would have been funnier.

Pff like officer 13inch would ever be caught dead buying condoms in sizes smaller than Thermos flask.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
loving baller.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, honda does share parts occasionally. Just that it was between their cars and their motorcycles.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Now leave a note in there with the part number for the next guy

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Ugh - clean that poo poo man.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004