Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What did the author do to warrant a 6 month suspension for "past conduct"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

http://youtu.be/vB9JgxhXW5w
#guildgate

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

Bergeot just linked this on her Twitter from the Judge blog:
http://blogs.magicjudges.org/seacat/interacting-with-women-at-magic-events-responsibility-respect-and-mindfulness/

I'm glad they're not only thinking about this kind of stuff, but putting it out there in writing.

Jesus this is like babies first social interaction. The aspeger levels in other locations must be off the charts.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Madmarker posted:

It exists and we can't pretend it doesn't. To help, here is a primer on male privilege and not being an rear end in a top hat.

Written by a man, basically just reminiscing about being a creeper and how trying to pick up chicks at a magic tournament doesn't work. BUT I TOTALLY CHANGED GUYS AND SO CAN YOU.

gently caress. Why do I have to be constantly ashamed of this hobby. And my gender.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Xeom posted:

Jesus this is like babies first social interaction. The aspeger levels in other locations must be off the charts.

I hate people calling it aspergers, I have aspergers and I'm a totally decent human being. It's just that these chucklefucks are either so socially malformed by decades of alienating everyone around them that they have no idea what they're doing wrong, or they're doing it in spite of knowing how bad it is.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Was that issue ever actually fixed?

It was, but I don't think the issue was ever explained to the public.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

xeose4 posted:

Is he, really? He always struck me as a self-interested rear end in a top hat, though admittedly I've only read a couple of stories on him.
I think Sorin is a really good example of a black-white persona. Sure, he'll kill you without a second thought if you get in his way (and he is a vampire after all, so sometimes not even then). Certainly no reservations about killing someone and enjoying it, or discarding them when they screw up too much (Nissa).

But at the same time he's perfectly willing to work with people even when it involves saving something that isn't his, or help friends (or even complete strangers, like creating Avacyn to balance out the black vampires on Innistrad) for someone else's benefit. There is some selfishness in those actions sure, but it's not entirely that way, as he's willing to make sacrifices for others. He may be hedonistic (although there's limits), but he's not sadistic.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Morphing

Being a morph

Unmorphing

I want a picture where it unmorphs into a goopy cave.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Xeom posted:

Not for nothing, but you probably shouldn't criticize people for being socially awkward and then use Aspergers as an insult.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Written by a man, basically just reminiscing about being a creeper and how trying to pick up chicks at a magic tournament doesn't work. BUT I TOTALLY CHANGED GUYS AND SO CAN YOU.

True, but at least SOMEONE wrote something in any sort of official capacity. It is nothing new or revolutionary but at least something was said that somewhat addresses the topic.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

gently caress. Why do I have to be constantly ashamed of this hobby. And my gender

Because gaming in general, but magic specifically, is filled with a bunch of misogynistic white dudes. I have no idea why they flock to hobbies like gaming, but they do.

Oh and you're ashamed of your gender because guys intrinsically have power and often want to pretend they don't while abusing it to the fullest.

As a dude, I share in your constant facepalming at our gender.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 6, 2014

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

bhsman posted:

Not for nothing, but you probably shouldn't criticize people for being socially awkward and then use Aspergers as an insult.

drat.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

theironjef posted:

I want a picture where it unmorphs into a goopy cave.

This or a giant metal wheel. Did they ever do an artistic rendering of creatures turning into/coming out of the Onslaught spider morph things?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BXCX posted:

This or a giant metal wheel. Did they ever do an artistic rendering of creatures turning into/coming out of the Onslaught spider morph things?

Backslide and Break Open come to mind

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

It's actually about ethics in the Judging program. #GuildGate

I'm nowhere near a PC right now but could someone update the wave of vitriol card? Thanks. Gonna get on Twitter later :evilbuddy:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 6, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Madmarker posted:

True, but at least SOMEONE wrote something in any sort of official capacity. It is nothing new or revolutionary but at least something was said that somewhat addresses the topic.

Because gaming in general, but magic specifically, is filled with a bunch of misogynistic white dudes. I have no idea why they flock to hobbies like gaming, but they do.

Oh and you're ashamed of your gender because guys intrinsically have power and often want to pretend they don't while abusing it to the fullest.

As a dude, I share in your constant facepalming at our gender.

Way to go off the loving deep end.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sickening posted:

What was wrong with what he said?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
#NotYourBlocker

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
This thread sure is fun today. This ought to help.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Those are reasonable opinions and is formed from even viewing behavior readily done at FNMs:

"I'ma smack that hoe/bitch down" - attacking Elspeth or Lilliana

Whoring herself out - Elspeth makes tokens

*eyes wide open, after sitting down across a girl*
*sweats heavily, but it is winter*
*opens anime playmat, questionably aged and posed cat girl wearing a bikini*
"S-s-so...you play magic too..."

Please tell us how your store is great and this behavior isn't representative of the whole.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm glad I don't have to go to whatever lovely places you guys do. Really am.

We have at most one anime playmat and one anime sleeve man.

Nobody is misogynistic (at least out loud), and pretty much everyone is on board with being chill and cool with females being in the store.

That's not to say lovely people don't exist but at the very least I don't have to deal with them.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 6, 2014

Steven Seagull
Oct 22, 2010

bhsman posted:

Nothing, but nerds are a super insular culture and freak out and even the most milquetoast suggestion of being more inclusive and conscious of privilege.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

bhsman posted:

The Magic the gathering thread is definitely the place to discuss male privilege. :getin:

Steven Seagull posted:

Nothing, but nerds are a super insular culture and freak out and even the most milquetoast suggestion of being more inclusive and conscious of privilege.

It's so true it hurts.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sickening posted:

The Magic the gathering thread is definitely the place to discuss male privilege. :getin:

He didn't say it wasn't, though? :shrug:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

jassi007 posted:

This thread sure is fun today. This ought to help.

:haw:

I'm afraid to search for the inevitable reddit thread about that article :ohdear:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

:haw:

I'm afraid to search for the inevitable reddit thread about that article :ohdear:

Then don't :shrug:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
If you think the writer's behavior is abnormal and/or reprehensible then congratulations you're a normal person who treats women like people and also not the target audience of the writer.

It's certainly not great that it's the norm but if you're going to express umbrage at people being idiots in general then there's a lot to go around, let's not pretend that being idiots with regards to women and magic have a special relationship or anything.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
There's nothing weird about saying I "raped" my opponent. After all, men can get raped, too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

There's nothing weird about saying I "raped" my opponent. After all, men can get raped, too.

You're making GBS threads me.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

You're making GBS threads me.
Forget it, Literally The Worst, it's Chinatown.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Ciprian Maricon I would like to thank your for the Legacy Deck offer but I did not realize it was Saturday so I will have to decline. You're awesome for even offering, LGS is having 2 year anniversary and I need to go support that, also I will be dead from sealed.

That's a shame dude, I was looking forward to playing a few games and arguing about boxing. Another time maybe!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nice. Source?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

As a white man, why is it OK for me to be called a Cracker but I can't use the n-word???

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I hate to break it to you guys, but magic players aren't that much more misogynistic than society as a whole, if at all.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hey while we're on the subject of magic doesn't Commander 2014 come out tomorrow?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

I'm glad I don't have to go to whatever lovely places you guys do. Really am.

We have at most one anime playmat and one anime sleeve man.

Nobody is misogynistic (at least out loud), and pretty much everyone is on board with being chill and cool with females being in the store.

That's not to say lovely people don't exist but at the very least I don't have to deal with them.

Amen to that. My FNMs are in a literal anime merchandise store, and we don't get anyone near as goony as what you motherfuckers describe. gently caress, the "creepiest" person in the group is probably the girlfriend of one of our regulars who freely admits to writing slash fanfiction and manages to pull at least 2 mythics every time she drafts with us. :argh:

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

I hate to break it to you guys, but magic players aren't that much more misogynistic than society as a whole, if at all.

While this might even be true, if a stranger harasses me I can just walk away. If we still have to play two more games this round, that's a very different atmosphere from a stray catcall or even creep on a bus.

Also this doesn't mean that magic players shouldn't be less misogynist, everyone should be less misogynist

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

Hey while we're on the subject of magic doesn't Commander 2014 come out tomorrow?

A-yup. At this point I've decided to just trade for singletons from it or wait for them to get cheap and buy them.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

In what way did I go off the deep end?

Sickening posted:

The Magic the gathering thread is definitely the place to discuss male privilege.

It certainly is when something that links the two happens, such as the article which started the previous conversation

Really?

Count Bleck posted:

It most certainly does, I'm going to be picking up Blue and Green, actually who am I kidding, I'm buying all 5, mixing it with my commander 2013 stuff and making a cube.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

bhsman posted:

A-yup. At this point I've decided to just trade for singletons from it or wait for them to get cheap and buy them.

I work at a Target so I'll be grabbing a couple of the red ones.

Mostly for the Wurmcoils and the Dualcasters, but also because I want Daretti and Goblin Welder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

a dozen swans posted:

While this might even be true, if a stranger harasses me I can just walk away. If we still have to play two more games this round, that's a very different atmosphere from a stray catcall or even creep on a bus.

Also this doesn't mean that magic players shouldn't be less misogynist, everyone should be less misogynist

no i totally get that my statement still means that magic players are misogynistic as all hell.

just pointing out that magic players aren't the literal worst or something. certain posters' tendency to go all 'gently caress my hobby' gets a bit insufferable after awhile. like proving yourself the most pious through self-flagellation.

• Locked thread