Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is the film version of Tai-Pan worth watching for a fan of the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kvlt! posted:

With Sons finishing up I'm looking for some more crime dramas about motorcycle clubs/gangs. Movie or TV, thanks!

Psychomania.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Skwirl posted:

Psychomania.

I was going to say this, but instead I'll offer up George Romero's Knightriders

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Alright, it's getting to the end of the year, so I've got to up my 2014 viewing. Here's what I've seen, what's the best stuff I'm missing from this year?

On the List: Whiplash, Dear White People, Interstellar, Venus in Fur, The Double

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

Alright, it's getting to the end of the year, so I've got to up my 2014 viewing. Here's what I've seen, what's the best stuff I'm missing from this year?

On the List: Whiplash, Dear White People, Interstellar, Venus in Fur, The Double

I'd give St. Vincent a go. It's a semi-predictable story, but it's worth it just to watch Bill Murray and Naomi Watts take on roles that are far out of their usual range.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

TrixRabbi posted:

I will say Blue Ruin and The Rover are both definitely worth seeing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

TrixRabbi posted:

I enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow and Lucy quite a bit. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is pretty far from a must-watch, but it had its moments. I'm planning on watching The Guest as soon as it hits VOD.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TrixRabbi posted:

Bird People is a divisive French arthouse film I think you would enjoy; you'd probably rate it about Tier 6/Tier 7. However, it'd be best if you made sure you went into it cold. Last Days in Vietnam has some drat compelling archival footage of the evacuation of Saigon. I've also heard good things about Locke.

e: Joe and The Immigrant, give those a shot.

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 6, 2014

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Wong Kar-Wai's films more or less singlehandedly made me fall in love with Hong Kong, so give me more films that look on it with a loving eye.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Criminal Minded posted:

Wong Kar-Wai's films more or less singlehandedly made me fall in love with Hong Kong, so give me more films that look on it with a loving eye.

Hard Boiled and The Killer. (To be fair they also have a lot of indiscriminate gunfire).

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 7, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Criminal Minded posted:

Hell yes, I'm there with you. Watch The Pillow Book.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

Criminal Minded posted:

I''m not sure all of the qualify as 'loving' but i'd go Comrades: An Almost Love Story, Fruit Chan's trilogy (Made in Hong Kong, The Longest Summer, Little Cheung ), Sparrow, First Love: Litter on the Breeze and C'est la Vie Mon Cheri

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

With Sons finishing up I'm looking for some more crime dramas about motorcycle clubs/gangs. Movie or TV, thanks!

Here's a movie about The Man pitting Bikers and Indians against each other. Also the debut of Penny Marshall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpwdLSD5FXg

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Ok, since autumn is setting in I could use me some good homey family food movies. Some films in this category I've seen and loved:

-Fanny & Alexander
-Babette's Feast
-The Dead
-Eat Drink Man Woman

What're some more good ones? They don't have to be turn of the last century but I do enjoy that era. Something about the subject of large-house-keeping is really interesting to me.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ok, since autumn is setting in I could use me some good homey family food movies. Some films in this category I've seen and loved:

-Fanny & Alexander
-Babette's Feast
-The Dead
-Eat Drink Man Woman

What're some more good ones? They don't have to be turn of the last century but I do enjoy that era. Something about the subject of large-house-keeping is really interesting to me.

For food there's always Tampopo? Is that what you mean? Also not a movie but The loving Fulfords is hilarious short series that's almost entirely about large-house-keeping. You are weird.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

thehandtruck posted:

For food there's always Tampopo? Is that what you mean? Also not a movie but The loving Fulfords is hilarious short series that's almost entirely about large-house-keeping. You are weird.

Tampopo is probably one of the strangest movies about food you'll ever see. It's genuinely innocent the way a hobo sneaks a kid into a kitchen so he can fry him up an omelette just fast enough before the guards can catch them. It's inspiring when a cowboy-like stranger wanders into a ramen shop and helps get the business up off the ground. It's also strangely sexual as when a couple has an erotic scene with an egg yolk.

I absolutely love this film and have been searching forever to see it again on DVD.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm interested in this subject too.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

-Fanny & Alexander
-Babette's Feast
-The Dead
-Eat Drink Man Woman

This list came out more food than good homey but: Oxhide 2, Big Night, a Chinese Feast, the God of Cookery, la Grande Bouffe, the dinner scenes in the Age of Innocence, Kamome Diner, 301/302, Christmas in Connecticut, Pieces of April

I can only think of obvious things like Meet Me in St Louis to fit the large house-keeping part. The Godfather?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

El Graplurado posted:

I can only think of obvious things like Meet Me in St Louis to fit the large house-keeping part. The Godfather?

I guess on this front I don't mean so much housekeeping as domestic films - the gatherings of people, the communal dinners, the little dramas in all the little rooms. I just think it's nice. Also, thanks for all the recommendations!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

-Fanny & Alexander
-Babette's Feast
-The Dead
-Eat Drink Man Woman

Does drinking count as family food? Because then I recommend Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe. Otherwise, however long there's been a CineD annual awards for movies, there's also been a category for best food scene. I'm sure someone with archives could dig up the nominees.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

-Fanny & Alexander
-Babette's Feast
-The Dead
-Eat Drink Man Woman

My Dinner With Andre doesn't quite fit the bill, but it works in a sense.

I also always consider Groundhog Day and What About Bob to be my go to "snuggle up in the cold weather for some family fun" movies. Again, not quite what you're looking for but they have similar vibes to them.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Kvlt! posted:

My Dinner With Andre doesn't quite fit the bill, but it works in a sense.

It's funny, I almost put that on the list.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I guess on this front I don't mean so much housekeeping as domestic films - the gatherings of people, the communal dinners, the little dramas in all the little rooms. I just think it's nice. Also, thanks for all the recommendations!

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. :mmmhmm::shrek:

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Yo I'm looking for a horror movie set in a claustrophobic enviroment with a few characters, like Cube, the original Saw, or like, Exam or Devil (these movies are varying degrees of quality, please recommmend actually good one).

Bike without wheels
Jan 2, 2005

this post

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yo I'm looking for a horror movie set in a claustrophobic enviroment with a few characters, like Cube, the original Saw, or like, Exam or Devil (these movies are varying degrees of quality, please recommmend actually good one).

The Descent comes to mind instantly.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Alien is the initial response and I'd also recommend Europa Report as a solid follow-up.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

FrostedButts posted:

Alien is the initial response and I'd also recommend Europa Report as a solid follow-up.

The Hole is also an option.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Take it to the limit, watch La Cabina:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CABpfvOgbjw

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
Looking for some movies where isolation is a major theme, or plays a role in the plot at some point. Cast Away, Moon, The Shining, The Thing, 2001 are some of my favorites that involve this. Bonus points if it's about just one person being in isolation, or reaches a point where there's one person left and then the movie follows just that last person for a while. I'm looking for something closest to Cast Away (any suggestion is great though.) Just something quiet that lets you focus on the person and think about their mindset and whatnot.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

MrSmokes posted:

Looking for some movies where isolation is a major theme, or plays a role in the plot at some point. Cast Away, Moon, The Shining, The Thing, 2001 are some of my favorites that involve this. Bonus points if it's about just one person being in isolation, or reaches a point where there's one person left and then the movie follows just that last person for a while. I'm looking for something closest to Cast Away (any suggestion is great though.) Just something quiet that lets you focus on the person and think about their mindset and whatnot.

Castaway On the Moon for sure. Oldboy starts out that way, but may stray too far from that after a while.

e: Also Gravity I guess

Allyn fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 13, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

MrSmokes posted:

All Is Lost is probably the closest in tone to Cast Away of any movie I've ever seen. Streaming on Netflix currently.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

MrSmokes posted:

Frozen: No, not the Disney cartoon. This was a little horror movie from 2010 in which three friends end up stuck on a chairlift after the ski area has closed down and the patrol is off for the night. It gets pretty grizzly and, of course, ends up with only one person left after the threat of the freezing night winds, the cold damage to their skin, the height from which they dangle and wandering wolf packs.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MrSmokes posted:

Repulsion, maybe?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

e:nm

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MrSmokes posted:

What about that Ryan Reynolds movie where he is literally in a tiny box the entire film? Buried?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Ah, yes, Nightmares: The Movie.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm assuming you've seen The Rules of the Game.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Everblight posted:

What about that Ryan Reynolds movie where he is literally in a tiny box the entire film? Buried?

On that note, Locke with Tom Hardy takes place entirely in a car I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

MrSmokes posted:

Sean Penn's Into the Wild, based on the real story of Christopher McCandless, who ventured into the Alaskan wilderness to get away from society.

It's not like any of the films you listed in your post, but there's also a documentary by Alexander Sokurov called A Humble Life, which follows an old woman living by herself in a remote mountain village. Very insightful and beautifully shot, but it demands a lot of patience from the viewer.

• Locked thread