Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

Black cardamom is smoked.

It never ceases to intrigue me how the US, which basically runs on pumpkin pie spices, aren't all over cardamom. poo poo is good.

Tip: pound whole green pods in pestle and mortar, sift. Easy, fresh, hyperaromatic cardamom. Now go make some buns.

dang I've wanted to make cardamom buns for a bit, didn't know that was already a thing. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

A thing? It's what we practically subside on.

1 litre sifted cake flour, 3.5 dl whole milk (don't be an rear end in a top hat, bake with proper milk), heaped teaspoon fresh ground cardamom, 100g butter, 1dl sugar, 25g yeast, 1 egg.

Melt butter with cardamom to infuse, add milk, heat slowly until body heat.

Sift flour minus about 0.5 - 1dl into bowl, mix with sugar. Crack egg into warm milk, whisk together with yeast. Mix dough, rise for 1 hour, stir up and knead in remaining flour until dough is barely firm, proof again half hour.

Don't use too much flour.

Roll 20 or so buns, proof for 20-30 minutes more, bake at 250C for 7-8 minutes until evenly light brown.

Don't keep all that well, which won't be a problem. Can be split and toasted. Awesome with butter, cheese, preserves.

Most recipes use 1.25 dl sugar instead of mine which uses 1dl. That's because it's my mum's recipe and she makes the best there are. Other peoples buns (heeehe) are way too sweet, and also dry because they add too much flour. Even if the dough seems "impossible", the fat is gonna help you a long way. Remember, the less flour used, the better they will be.

Note: this dough is great for cinnamon rolls.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

the gently caress is a dl

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

the gently caress is a dl

Decilitre = 100ml

I really like cardamom, but in moderation only. There is such a thing as too much cardamom.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

therattle posted:

I really like cardamom, but in moderation only. There is such a thing as too much cardamom.

Look at this wrong person who is wrong about things.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So what's the best way to get sour cream into a squeeze bottle.

I tried using a funnel but it's a little too thick.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sjurygg posted:

Black cardamom is smoked.

I think you are wrong on this one. As far as I know, they two are separate varieties.

FishBulb posted:

How about a pastry bag?

EDIT: Wikipedia says

quote:

The two main genera of the ginger family named as forms of cardamom are distributed as follows:

Elettaria (commonly called cardamom, green cardamom, or true cardamom) is distributed from India to Malaysia. It is a cool spice with a distinctly minty aroma. It is beneficial in treatment of common illnesses.
Amomum (commonly known as black cardamom, brown cardamom, kravan, Java cardamom, Bengal cardamom, Siamese cardamom, white cardamom, or red cardamom) is distributed mainly in Asia and Australia. It is a hot spice and has antiseptic qualities too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

How about a pastry bag?

Alternately, ziploc bags

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

Pour heavy cream and a little cultured buttermilk in squeeze bottle. Loosely cover and leave on your counter until you have sour cream.

It's kind of like getting a ship into a bottle.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

FishBulb posted:

Get a wider mouth squeeze bottle.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Stir it with a whisk before you pour it

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

FishBulb posted:

Lay out 2-3 sheets of plastic wrap flat onto your counter.
Plop a bunch of mayo right in the middle.
Gather the whole thing up so that you have a gross ball of mayo wrapped up in plastic wrap.
Poke a small hole in the bottom of it with a paring knife.
Squeeze out the mayo into the squeeze bottle with your gross lovely piping bag.

Edit: I tried to find you an image that would make this make sense, but this is all you get: http://headlicecenter.com/head-lice-mayonnaise/

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Pour heavy cream and a little cultured buttermilk in squeeze bottle. Loosely cover and leave on your counter until you have sour cream.

It's kind of like getting a ship into a bottle.

Yeah I prefer to make my own but tonight I didn't have time so I was trying to put the normal poo poo in there.

The piping bag/ziploc suggestions were good. Thanks everyone I knew there was something easy I wasn't thinking of

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Lay out 2-3 sheets of plastic wrap flat onto your counter.
Plop a bunch of mayo right in the middle.
Gather the whole thing up so that you have a gross ball of mayo wrapped up in plastic wrap.
Poke a small hole in the bottom of it with a paring knife.
Squeeze out the mayo into the squeeze bottle with your gross lovely piping bag.

Edit: I tried to find you an image that would make this make sense, but this is all you get: http://headlicecenter.com/head-lice-mayonnaise/

Dammit, now how do I make this mayonnaise turn into sour cream?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

GrAviTy84 posted:

dang I've wanted to make cardamom buns for a bit, didn't know that was already a thing. :hellyeah:

If you want to make an æbleskive with your æbleskive jern, then you need kardemomme in those fuckers otherwise it won't be an æbleskive, and your visitors will think less of your æbleskiver, an thereby your household, even if you serve them with flormelis.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I don't understand. My visitors won't like my ikea couch?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Also lusekatter should have kardemomme, right fish-guy?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Chemmy posted:

I don't understand. My visitors won't like my ikea couch?

They will rape your daughters and burn your home.

Edit: or cheat you in a game of whist

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah I don't care for Abba either.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

Also lusekatter should have kardemomme, right fish-guy?

Nah, no need. Just use real saffron and no substitute bullshit.

Some recipe books from the Dark Ages even state you can replace saffron with turmeric :chloe:

e: and for Thorrs sake use little flour! Dry lussekatter are horrible :gonk:

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 7, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sjurygg posted:

Nah, no need. Just use real saffron and no substitute bullshit.

Skimping on the saffron should be punishable by death trough eating a thousand bland buns.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah I don't care for Abba either.

Enjoy your Miley Cyrus then

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I think he's talking about some fermented bird or fish dish.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I don't know what's so hard to understand about äppelskivor.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Anyone have a krumkake iron I can borrow?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
No, but I have a skórvørørkënnknœjlnõlï, which should work.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Then the spirit fell and they all spoke in tongues. :holy:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

what's happening

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Norse supremacy!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

LoonShia posted:

Norse supremacy!

Is it 1042 again? Is my chronometer on the fritz?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CzarChasm posted:

Is it 1042 again? Is my chronometer on the fritz?

I guess you got...

Waylaid by jackassery.

:v:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

what's happening

Scandinavian glossolalia.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The reason we call your languages "Moon Language", is because if you've grown only speaking/seeing English, your spellings look completely unpronounceable.

I mean, look at this poo poo: "æbleskive". To me, that is every bit as incomprehensible as "skórvørørkënnknœjlnõlï"

I'm sure it wouldn't take long to learn the phonetics, but GWS is the only place I'm ever exposed to it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Squashy Nipples posted:

I mean, look at this poo poo: "æbleskive".

I'm sure it wouldn't take long to learn the phonetics, but GWS is the only place I'm ever exposed to it.

Ab el skiv er. No effing clue what that second thing is, google is clueless as well. All my norsery comes from growing up lutheran and a vauge sense of my ancestry. Which is VIKING MOTHERFUCKER

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Squashy Nipples posted:

The reason we call your languages "Moon Language", is because if you've grown only speaking/seeing English, your spellings look completely unpronounceable.

I mean, look at this poo poo: "æbleskive". To me, that is every bit as incomprehensible as "skórvørørkënnknœjlnõlï"

Aside from non-roman alphabets like Japanese or Arabic, I think the most incomprehensible written language is Welsh.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

The Midniter posted:

Aside from non-roman alphabets like Japanese or Arabic, I think the most incomprehensible written language is Welsh.

This is true. The whole "let's make W a vowel for kicks" thing throws everything off.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I used to struggle with Dutch words, until I realized that they were just cramming together a bunch of shorter words without any spaces.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Squashy Nipples posted:

I used to struggle with Dutch words, until I realized that they were just cramming together a bunch of shorter words without any spaces.

You would have a field day with Hungarian.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm very fond of compound nouns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

bartolimu posted:

Mace is the same plant as nutmeg. It's basically the remains of the fruit that dries up around the nutmeg nut in little stringy shreds of delicious spiciness.

I haven't worked with mace at all but by that flavor description I may need to start. My newest cookie spice is cardamom - I found a pistachio/cardamom sugar cookie recipe that very quickly made its way onto my every-year Christmas baking list.

Post the cookie recipe plz.