Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

DrSunshine posted:

Brb, coding an event in CK2 mod to allow you to lobotomize an imprisoned character.

Monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Brb, coding an event in CK2 mod to allow you to lobotomize an imprisoned character.

Give it a 5% chance of giving +3 in every stat and the "genius" trait for additional fun.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Guildencrantz posted:

Our daughter is kinda dumb, let's have some dude randomly root around in her brain with a piece of metal! That ought to fix it and make her smarter and better adjusted. It's science.

Joseph Kennedy was obsessed with his family getting to the top and a coward. He would literally sacrifice his own daughter at the possibility that she might hinder the chance that one of his sons might be President. This is in an age as well where the President could have crippling medical problems and nobody was the wiser.

Joe Kennedy should be added into any fascist collaborationist US government in Hearts of Iron since he was already proclaiming the death of democracy during the Blitz.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Joe Kennedy should be added into any fascist collaborationist US government in Hearts of Iron since he was already proclaiming the death of democracy during the Blitz.

He's in both the AUS and New England minister lists in Kaiserreich, which is one of the few duplicates I don't think is a bug.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Royalty does what it wants.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
So uh, Victoria 2 and Communist Japan just happened.

Also the USSR.

Taking Crimea may not of been the wisest choice.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
May not have been wisest choice. Grammatical malus for you.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Joseph Kennedy was obsessed with his family getting to the top and a coward. He would literally sacrifice his own daughter at the possibility that she might hinder the chance that one of his sons might be President. This is in an age as well where the President could have crippling medical problems and nobody was the wiser.

Didn't one of his sons got blown the gently caress up flying a robot B-17 into a mountain?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

gradenko_2000 posted:

May not have been wisest choice. Grammatical malus for you.

Didn't one of his sons got blown the gently caress up flying a robot B-17 into a mountain?

He got killed bailing out but yes he was flying a RC bomber packed with explosives close to the target where a chase plane would take over flying it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

He got killed bailing out but yes he was flying a RC bomber packed with explosives close to the target where a chase plane would take over flying it.

It was over England and nobody knows why it blew up.

Joe Jr. was the son designated for the presidency and after he died that responsibility went to JFK. Joe Jr. had completed enough combat missions to go home but volunteered for the mission. He most likely did it to build up his status as a hero for his postwar political career.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Playing my first Vic2 HOD campaign as Germany. Formed Germany in 1860 (with Bohemia included) as an absolute monarchy (reform came a couple years later though). From 1869-1883, I have fought two more wars with France and Austria (including forcing Austria to release Moravia as an independent nation after the first of those). It's almost like clockwork, the week that a truce expires the two immediately declare war trying to either liberate Alsace-Lorraine or reconquer Moravia. In fact, I'm actually about to fight a third war with them, ended up saving and quitting for the night when Austria shoved a stack across the Moravian border the instant the truce expired and France jumped in to support them.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's also the only Nobel prize that should be revoked due to being discredited.

Getting back on topic...

I've conquered Peru, finally gaining direct access to iron ore and precious metals. I've also sphered the rest of the countries in South America with the exception of Venezuela, whom I helped Columbia beat up. I also have sphered Madagascar.

Why do you play Brazil in Victoria 2 and just conquer all of South America? It is so easy that it is tedious. Play as a more challenging nation, Venezuela or Colombia are interesting, I think. Try maybe an uncivilized nation like Persia but don't play Brazil and paint the map, it is uninteresting.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SharkAKALegitShark posted:

Why do you play Brazil in Victoria 2 and just conquer all of South America? It is so easy that it is tedious. Play as a more challenging nation, Venezuela or Colombia are interesting, I think. Try maybe an uncivilized nation like Persia but don't play Brazil and paint the map, it is uninteresting.

he seems to be having fun idk man

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Brazil's pretty cool, get to jump right into the game, don't gotta wait around ages to do anything, and is one of the only monarchies in the Americas which is pretty rad.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Instead of conquering South America, try conquering North America! Unite the Americas in a single Western Co-Prosperity Sphere!!

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Yeah pack it up Brazil guy. Victoria 2 connoisseur, forums poster SharkAKALegitShark, has informed you about the correct and interesting way to play that particular video game so you better stop enjoying it and sharing your progress right now and go have fun correctly

:rolleyes:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Guildencrantz posted:

Yeah pack it up Brazil guy. Victoria 2 connoisseur, forums poster SharkAKALegitShark, has informed you about the correct and interesting way to play that particular video game so you better stop enjoying it and sharing your progress right now and go have fun correctly

:rolleyes:

now hold on he's a LEGIT shark we better listen to him

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Why are you doing what you want in a sandbox game?!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nutranurse posted:

Well goddamn that's ridiculous. How could someone be so evil to something like what the ex-sister-in-law (and the rest of his loving family) did? Jesus!
Lisbon's a hosed up place.

KoldPT posted:

At the time, lobotomies were considered THE way to deal with unruly teenagers!

(for bonus bringing this poo poo back around points: the guy who came up with them is Portugal's only scientific Nobel prize :) )
And the place where he was institutionalized was named after him! It's like a butterly flapping it's wings.

I routinely play as France or as the Ottomans in the EUIV MP games i do with friends.

I really don't care about a grognards definition of "challenge" that is basically finding ways of exploiting the AI to allow you to become a major power. You want to start off as Brandenburg, Tuscany, or Poland so you can implement your SP tactics and impress your friends? Tough poo poo, one of the powers you have to exploit now has a brain. Get gud.

Mans fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 6, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Most people here are complaining that I'm not conquering enough.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

If you approach any Paradox Grand Strategy game from the perspective that you should just conquer everything, you're actually of the same mindset as Hitler. Hope this makes you all think...

I picked up EU IV now and am slowly trying to figure it out. It sounds like Ireland is a tough nation to start with, but if I eventually give it a try is it going to be impossible to make a united Celtic nation and try to include Brittany and maybe even Wales/Cornwall? I'm assuming that's just too many cores that powerful nations are going to come calling for...

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 7, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

If you approach any Paradox Grand Strategy game from the perspective that you should just conquer everything, you're actually of the same mindset as Hitler. Hope this makes you all think...

So what if you play a vassal count in CK2 somewhere and just plot to become spymaster and kill dukes and kings all over the place just to make the realm collapse and watch the world burn? Some of my best games of CK2 just involved me loving around with my realm as much as possible and trying to keep it in a general state of lawless chaos.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

So what if you play a vassal count in CK2 somewhere and just plot to become spymaster and kill dukes and kings all over the place just to make the realm collapse and watch the world burn? Some of my best games of CK2 just involved me loving around with my realm as much as possible and trying to keep it in a general state of lawless chaos.

Well that makes you like a Nolan Batman villain, which is also like Hitler, but also like Occupy movement.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I picked up EU IV now and am slowly trying to figure it out. It sounds like Ireland is a tough nation to start with, but if I eventually give it a try is it going to be impossible to make a united Celtic nation and try to include Brittany and maybe even Wales/Cornwall? I'm assuming that's just too many cores that powerful nations are going to come calling for...

I remember getting EUIV and trying to play as Ireland right off of the bat, it was not A Good Idea. I don't even think I could pull off an Ireland start now, even after 300 hours of play time. Try playing as either the Ottomans or Castille for your first game. They're great powers and almost immune to being invaded, so you can move at your own pace while you learn the mechanics.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There's not Celtic tag to form, but there is formable Ireland. There's also an achievement you get for conquering England as Ireland. It is not easy to do.

If you want an easy start to learn, pick the Ottomans or France or maybe Portugal or Castile.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Portugal is probably the easiest country to play in Eu4. Just ally Castile so he'll keep all those pesky Europeans off your back, and go chill in the Caribbean.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

There's not Celtic tag to form, but there is formable Ireland. There's also an achievement you get for conquering England as Ireland. It is not easy to do.

If you want an easy start to learn, pick the Ottomans or France or maybe Portugal or Castile.

I'm assuming also spending all your energy trying to conquer England means Ireland is sitting out basically any colonization game?

I'm leaning towards Portugal to do a more peaceful trade/exploration run.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Typically not, you want to get a foothold early while they're getting crushed by rebels, and then slowly outpace them; colonizing is a good way to make income, and doesn't really cost you anything.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

I'm assuming also spending all your energy trying to conquer England means Ireland is sitting out basically any colonization game?

I'm leaning towards Portugal to do a more peaceful trade/exploration run.

Escaping to America and colonising most of it before focusing on Britain was the only way I managed to do it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

On the off-chance there's still someone out there who somehow hasn't bought CK2, there's an absolutely stellar bundle on Bundle Stars right now:

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/crusader-kings-ii-bundle/

All the major expansions except Islam and Charlemagne, and some random unit packs/DLC.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Or Alexander the Great :colbert:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mans posted:

If history worked like a Paradox game we'd all be living in the Alexandrian Empire now.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
New HOI4 dev diary focusing on graphics and map changes!

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Mans posted:

Just about all of his contemporaries loathed him.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Them being sore losers isnt his problem.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Terrain mapmode looks like it'll actually be useful this time because of the border gradients. And it really is quite pretty, and all those little points of light will help my bombers find their way to their targets :unsmigghh:.

Do we know what the simplified terrain mapmode looks like? It's what I spent a large chunk of my time using in HoI 3 and I haven't heard heads or tails of it.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

This is gorgeous.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The sprites look really nice.

Pity I'll never use them.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I think we are rapidly approaching a point where someone could suggest playing in terrain mode and I wouldn't laugh them out of the room. Well done, Paradox, very well done.

And it looks like Germany is grey/blue again! :neckbeard:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Autonomous Monster posted:

I think we are rapidly approaching a point where someone could suggest playing in terrain mode and I wouldn't laugh them out of the room. Well done, Paradox, very well done.

And it looks like Germany is grey/blue again! :neckbeard:

Seriously, the gradient borders were basically the only thing that was holding me back from using it in other games. I always want to play with terrain mode in CK2 but then I jump over to political mode for a second and suddenly notice my neighbor has been in a 20 way civil war for the past decade I'm only just now finding out about. If that kind of terrain map mode could make it into CK2 and EUIV, I'd at the very least try to use it as my standard mapmode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thanks for posting this, it looks amazing.

DrProsek posted:

Seriously, the gradient borders were basically the only thing that was holding me back from using it in other games. I always want to play with terrain mode in CK2 but then I jump over to political mode for a second and suddenly notice my neighbor has been in a 20 way civil war for the past decade I'm only just now finding out about. If that kind of terrain map mode could make it into CK2 and EUIV, I'd at the very least try to use it as my standard mapmode.

It will be in EU5 and CK3 :v:

• Locked thread