Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
The main characters are boring, the emotional moments are overblown and don't have any weight behind them... basically, the non-action scenes aren't anything more than "fine". The action scenes are fantastic, though, and make it more than worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The world they've created, literally wallpapered in the background in one scene, is just an incredibly heightened version of the present, but I'm not sure what's so overblown about it.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
This thread is becoming a lot of bickering and less awesome things to watch on Netflix. So yeah let's work on that.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The score was fantastic as well - all that 20th century Eastern Orthodox minimalism.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Like, a gorgeous naked pregnant woman standing in a manger is a little on the nose but that's the movie Cuaron is making, a story about the only baby on Earth.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Stoned Michael Caine will always be amazing and I'll not hear otherwise. And Clive Owen is astonishing. He was far and away the best part of Closer and is nearly the only reason I ever re-watch that movie (the relationship between Jude Law and Portman's characters is way too close to home).

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Magnus Gallant posted:

This thread is becoming a lot of bickering and less awesome things to watch on Netflix. So yeah let's work on that.

gently caress YOU LET ME TELL YOU MY DEFINITION OF SCIENCE FICTION

Actually I didn't see it mentioned in the thread but season four of Portlandia went up a few days ago. Then again I might've missed it while scrolling past all the ~genre chat~.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Like, a gorgeous naked pregnant woman standing in a manger is a little on the nose but that's the movie Cuaron is making, a story about the only baby on Earth.

I'll never get why people deride a film because they made their point of their films clear. I like when things are subtle too,but children of men isn't really supposed to be a subtle movie.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Sarchasm posted:

Actually I didn't see it mentioned in the thread but season four of Portlandia went up a few days ago. Then again I might've missed it while scrolling past all the ~genre chat~.

Was mentioned but is definitely worth mentioning again.

Also someone mentioned The Burbs came up recently and I can't wait to watch it again. I wish other early Tom Hanks flicks would go up like Big, Joe vs. The Volcano, etc.

I was on a late 80's bender and saw the original Honey I Shrunk The Kids is up too. Also the Tim Burton Batman is up, so you really can relive a summer of 1989 movie triple feature.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 7, 2014

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Also, Wayne's World, Stand By Me, Seven, Kingpin, and Total Recall, caught my eye.

The Assets is really good, too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Children of Men is great because it's a film about humanity facing extinction and turning on itself and it manages to be really life-affirming- the emphasis on individual moments of joy, the nature imagery, it's all about how being alive is something worth clinging to no matter how lovely we are to each other.

It should be the most depressing movie ever but instead it's weirdly hopeful.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

The world they've created, literally wallpapered in the background in one scene, is just an incredibly heightened version of the present, but I'm not sure what's so overblown about it.

I could explain my personal reactions in more detail, but I won't. You're all welcome.

If anyone is on HBO Go, they've got JFK. It's 3 hours, and I'm only halfway through it, but I'm into it. It's a nice trip back into the early 90s, when it was all conspiracies, all the time. Blown up grainy black and white footage, ominous music, mysterious men in sunglasses and hats - it's like cinematic comfort food to me.

wafflesnsegways fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 7, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You should! I made the thread, therefore I decree that you should.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I just watched the movie tresspass

Hilarious movie. Worth it for watching for a really whacked out movie.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I think that good film criticism and discussion happens when people articulate their personal feelings in an interesting and insightful way, and maybe you get to learn something about the person and about the movie.

But right now, I don't think that I have much more interesting or insightful to say about Children of Men. It all boils down to this: a bunch of the scenes fell flat to me. I wanted more personality and more energy. (Michael Caine excepted.) I'd give examples but it's been a while since I saw it. I feel this way about lots of movies, particularly lots of serious movies.

Again, I'm glad I watched the movie and would definitely recommend that people watch it if it sounds interesting to them. The action scenes can't be beat.

I also think that Cuaron really nailed Gravity. He took all of the things that worked in Children of Men, and trimmed away all of the excess.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

wafflesnsegways posted:

I could explain my personal reactions in more detail, but I won't. You're all welcome.

If anyone is on HBO Go, they've got JFK. It's 3 hours, and I'm only halfway through it, but I'm into it. It's a nice trip back into the early 90s, when it was all conspiracies, all the time. Blown up grainy black and white footage, ominous music, mysterious men in sunglasses and hats - it's like cinematic comfort food to me.

Fun fact, Tommy Lee Jones' character, Clay Shaw, was a New Orleans hero for getting the state to divert a bypass out of the French Quarter (and into the black part of town). There was even a plaque on his old house to celebrate him. When the movie was released and his homosexuality became a thing of public record the new owners of the house did everything they could to obscure the plaque and to this day will come out to scream at any tour guides that bring groups by to show the house.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Sarchasm posted:

You know, as much as I have a total hetero crush on Carrie Brownstein, that show has never really landed with me. Much more miss than hit.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
JFK might be a good movie in a vacuum but the fact that it's single-handedly responsible for creating an entire generation of conspiracy theorists and for making the conspiracy theories around JFK's assassination be uncritically accepted as fact by large swaths of the population is pretty unfortunate baggage for any movie to carry.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

...of SCIENCE! posted:

JFK might be a good movie in a vacuum but the fact that it's single-handedly responsible for creating an entire generation of conspiracy theorists and for making the conspiracy theories around JFK's assassination be uncritically accepted as fact by large swaths of the population is pretty unfortunate baggage for any movie to carry.

Oliver Stone is lucky 9/11 happened.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I watched a pretty interesting documentary on the JFK assassination on Netflix ("JFK: The Smoking Gun", maybe) a while back that I'm not sure if it's accurate or not (will any of them ever be?) but it offered up really radical explanation compared to most other that I'd never heard of in that sort of detail until then.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JediTalentAgent posted:

I watched a pretty interesting documentary on the JFK assassination on Netflix ("JFK: The Smoking Gun", maybe) a while back that I'm not sure if it's accurate or not (will any of them ever be?) but it offered up really radical explanation compared to most other that I'd never heard of in that sort of detail until then.

Is that the one that presents some pretty convincing evidence that JFK was accidentally shot by a Secret Service agent?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

precision posted:

Is that the one that presents some pretty convincing evidence that JFK was accidentally shot by a Secret Service agent?

Yup. When they started going through the specifics of how it was possible to have occurred, I can see how it wouldn't be a popular theory because it is really sort of hard to process when you've spent years hearing people craft more and more passionate stories behind the reasons and players of the assassination.

The conspiracy part of it isn't an actual plot for assassination, it's just the cover-up of an accident.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

The_Rob posted:

Robocop is actually a really smart movie and inception is really dumb.

I love both, but this man is correct.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

Yup. When they started going through the specifics of how it was possible to have occurred, I can see how it wouldn't be a popular theory because it is really sort of hard to process when you've spent years hearing people craft more and more passionate stories behind the reasons and players of the assassination.

Sounds like bullshit, but it sounds like interesting bullshit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Bill James also believes in the "Mortal Error" theory.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

The conspiracy part of it isn't an actual plot for assassination, it's just the cover-up of an accident.

It was a really well put together argument, I enjoyed watching it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Bill James also believes in the "Mortal Error" theory.

Is his true crime book any good?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Criminal Minded posted:

Is his true crime book any good?

It's interesting. Good, I don't know about so much.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I subscribe to the No Bullet theory: JFK wasn't assassinated, his head just did that on its own.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
After being inured to just randomly seeing the footage for years now, seeing the stabilized footage of the JFK assassination made me say "holy poo poo" aloud.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I subscribe to the No Bullet theory: JFK wasn't assassinated, his head just did that on its own.

Jack Ruby killed LHO with two tea bags and some wax paper.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

regulargonzalez posted:

You know, as much as I have a total hetero crush on Carrie Brownstein, that show has never really landed with me. Much more miss than hit.

So was The Kids in the Hall, in retrospect.

But when it hits it hits really good.

I just started watching Season 4.

Characters like the ones on Women & Women First have gone nowhere and they should be dropped. The Dog Rescue skits are a retread of Portland Milk Board but not as funny.

Kumail still loving kills it in just about any skit he's in.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Mayor skits are always good too.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

After being inured to just randomly seeing the footage for years now, seeing the stabilized footage of the JFK assassination made me say "holy poo poo" aloud.

For something that is embedded in popular consciousness it is shockingly gruesome.

Doctor Butts posted:

Characters like the ones on Women & Women First have gone nowhere and they should be dropped. The Dog Rescue skits are a retread of Portland Milk Board but not as funny.

Kumail still loving kills it in just about any skit he's in.

This show works for me so well and I'm not sure why because objectively-speaking it's just as hit-and-miss as any other sketch comedy show. It has a very specific comedic voice that just hits the right buttons with me. Kumail is the best.

Also I have a weirdly massive crush on Brownstein's character from the Milk Advisory Board sketch. Not on Carrie herself, just that specific character.

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 7, 2014

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The best thing ever from Portlandia is the Adult Hide and Seek League and Fred Armisen's conversation with the old lady.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Portlandia gets a little better every season. Also, the "Hip-hop history lesson" sketch was absolutely hilarious.

e: at least watch episode 4, with Jello Biafra, the bass player from Guns-n-Roses, and the "Prairie Home Companion Tailgating"

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Death by Scanners.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bates Motel is amazing--everyone was right. The scene where Norma spies on that girl through the yoga studio window steaming up the glass with her breath while imagining Norman loving is some of the best physical comedy I've seen in a while. This show could be straight up horror, but they know just when to inch it into farce.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I just watched Snowpiercer and I highly recommend it, unless you're one of those weird autists who care more about tactical realism than trains.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Just watched Filth. God drat that was fan loving tastic. Everyone should watch it if they haven't.

And everyone should watch Filth too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Doctor Butts posted:

So was The Kids in the Hall, in retrospect.

Ha! Ridiculous.

Dr Monkeysee posted:

For something that is embedded in popular consciousness it is shockingly gruesome.

It's easy to forget it's a guy getting his goddamn head blown off.

• Locked thread