Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Duke Chin posted:

I'm not going to lie... I'm suddenly turned on... :v:

I'm finding out that plane engines are loving cool as poo poo lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Duke Chin posted:

I'm not going to lie... I'm suddenly turned on... :v:

My grandpa said the scariest/coolest poo poo he saw in WW2 that wasn't over Germany was when a B-24s furthest-to-port engine broke free of the mountings on a run up before take off and just went doing cartwheels down the taxiway at ~90 mph for about 400 yards before it hit a parked C-47 and came to a stop after wrecking both front landing gears on the other aircraft. And thats why I'm forever just a lil'bit scared of radial engines

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I read an interesting article the other day about an incident with the engine of an F3H Demon. Apparently the Demon's engine was mounted on a rail for easy access and maintenance. One day after an engine change they forgot to put in the bolts that hold it in place. Plane goes up to the catapult, and as soon as it gets shot off the entire engine slides back and falls down on the deck. Luckily the pilot managed to ditch his new glider and got picked up within a few minutes.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Doublepost: Somebody has spliced together footage taken from a airshow at Freeman Field in September 1945. Starts with footage of a Ju 290 landing. In addition to a bunch of captured Kraut machines, pretty much every aircraft in the US invintory does a flyby. The B-32 looks goofy as gently caress.

Also, the only thing actually roped off is the Me 163 and two nazi helicopters.

A hit parade of cool Axis aircraft
Hs 129, He 111, Macchi 202, Me 410, Ar 234, Me 163, Ju 88, Me 262, V-1, V-2, probably more.

What is between the Spitfire and the Macchi 202 at 5:02? Something Japanese?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

joat mon posted:

A hit parade of cool Axis aircraft
Hs 129, He 111, Macchi 202, Me 410, Ar 234, Me 163, Ju 88, Me 262, V-1, V-2, probably more.

What is between the Spitfire and the Macchi 202 at 5:02? Something Japanese?

A Zero seems like a good guess.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Speaking of the Me 262, I was pleasantly surprised to see one at Wings Over Houston last weekend. I had no idea there were any that were airworthy.

edit; I don't have the originals at work, but here's two (compressed for facebook) pics I took.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 6, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That would be one of those newly manufactured ones from a few years ago.^^

Nebakenezzer posted:

Doublepost: Somebody has spliced together footage taken from a airshow at Freeman Field in September 1945. Starts with footage of a Ju 290 landing. In addition to a bunch of captured Kraut machines, pretty much every aircraft in the US invintory does a flyby. The B-32 looks goofy as gently caress.

Also, the only thing actually roped off is the Me 163 and two nazi helicopters.

Who was the 4-star in the last minute?
\/Thanks :)

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 6, 2014

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

slidebite posted:

That would be one of those newly manufactured ones from a few years ago.^^

Who was the 4-star in the last minute?

Looks like Walt Krueger

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Walter Krueger.
(there's an echo)

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

VikingSkull posted:

The RF-8A's who overflew later that day almost certainly were fired upon by the Cubans, however.

As pictured in the movie 13 Days: http://youtu.be/_KmELSpOheA

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mzuri posted:

Good thing the runway is wide enough for both planes to take off at the same time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

smackfu posted:

Good thing the runway is wide enough for both planes to take off at the same time.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

smackfu posted:

That's actually standard for a formation takeoff.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Visual proof 3 F-4s are better than 4 F-16s, right? :v:

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's actually standard for a formation takeoff.

yeah I was going to say, I spent long hours at Des Moines INTERNATIONAL airport (international not guaranteed) and the only thing worth watching was the ANG wing sending planes up, four F-16s at a time. They did formation takeoffs like that, usually two and two.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 6, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I just heard this playing in my head with the F-16 shot. Where is that?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Davin Valkri posted:

I just heard this playing in my head with the F-16 shot. Where is that?

Kunsan AFB if GIS is to be believed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

smackfu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4qWGdTCzLc
A tight formation like that is unlikely to be used over the target but that's likely how they'd have taken off.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Have a friend who flies f-16's and from what all I have heard I wonder how many of the ones in this picture have warning lights on or are broken.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

smackfu posted:

Beating a dead horse, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVPZhErfh1k&t=60s

These aren't exactly airliners we're talking about.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huh, I figured they were just making it dramatic for movies. But I guess it saves time if you don't have to form up after takeoff.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

smackfu posted:

Huh, I figured they were just making it dramatic for movies. But I guess it saves time if you don't have to form up after takeoff.

From what I have seen its not typical though. For most flights the later jets will just use more throttle/use afterburner to catch up to the group. From 100 yards away an F-16 on full afterburner makes a hell of a noise and rattles you something good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alighieri posted:

From what I have seen its not typical though. For most flights the later jets will just use more throttle/use afterburner to catch up to the group. From 100 yards away an F-16 on full afterburner makes a hell of a noise and rattles you something good.

Most of the time this is easier, elephant walks are for large operations and emergency launches.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mzuri posted:

this is a really good movie btw, popcorn good anyway

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

CommieGIR posted:

Most of the time this is easier, elephant walks are for dickwaving and giving the wrenchbenders ulcers

Fixed that for you.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Alighieri posted:

Have a friend who flies f-16's and from what all I have heard I wonder how many of the ones in this picture have warning lights on or are broken.

That's like every military plane I've ever been around.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Looks like an F-16 launched from Tyndall AFB was lost in the Gulf of Mexico. I don't know if it was a QF-16 based there or a TDY jet there to train against F-22s (very common).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Automot... err.. Aeronau... err.. Aeromotive Insanity?

Friend posted from SEMA - 300 Jacobs Radial Aircraft Engine in a Chevy truck

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
there's 0 chance that thing feels good to drive

badass, though

e- also gently caress my job for making the first thing I noticed the orange peel on the wheel tub

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Alighieri posted:

Guaranteed that at least a couple are in a NMC-flyable condition, a couple more have some sort of serious PMC condition that makes them not much use for anything beyond going around the flagpole, and at least a quarter to half of the remainder are being carried PMC for some sort of less severe but still PMC-worthy write-up (they're in Korea so they *should* be in better shape parts-wise than a CONUS based unit, which means it's probably closer to a quarter).

Also guaranteed that at least 2-3 of those came back Code 3...and that's if they were just doing some bullshit taxi op. If they were actually all flying (I can't remember if that was an elephant walk or if they were actually doing a mass generation exercise) take that and increase it by at least 2x, maybe 3x.

Basically mx surged for a week prior to that to scrape together enough tails for the event, and they'll be recovering from the dog/pony show for at least a week, maybe 2 depending on how broke they were before it kicked off.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Alighieri posted:

Every small aircraft formation I've been a part of has lined up side-by-side with 2 a little bit back. Usually lead sets a reduced power contract so that 2 can catch up in mil power.

iyaayas01 posted:

Basically mx surged for a week prior to that to scrape together enough tails for the event, and they'll be recovering from the dog/pony show for at least a week, maybe 2 depending on how broke they were before it kicked off.
On the other hand, they got a really cool photo out of it.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

The Locator posted:

How about a tractor with a 3350?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaqjv0HbxyE

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Sometimes the unit's mission essential tasks include making the commander's dick hard. Just how it is.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Sometimes the unit's mission essential tasks include making the commander's dick hard. Just how it is.

Pretend I made a joke here about Karbala

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

iyaayas01 posted:

Pretend I made a joke here about Karbala

they are all going down there, huh

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Locator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGeSIM_8BHY

:jeb:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Sky Regional (Air Canada Express) Dash-8 Q400 just crashed at the Edmonton airport...injuries reported and and the aircraft is substantially damaged.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It looks like the right landing gear collapsed after landing, but the plane doesn't appear too badly damaged, all things considered. The first picture of the left side of the plane made it look like the right wing had broken in half though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

It looks like the right landing gear collapsed after landing, but the plane doesn't appear too badly damaged, all things considered. The first picture of the left side of the plane made it look like the right wing had broken in half though.

It's still a mess, though; the way that wing is bent makes me think that Q400's future lies at the feet of MolsonCoors. The flight was Air Canada 8481, from Calgary to Grande Prairie, diverted to Edmonton. Three passengers transported to hospital with minor injuries.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dang, another one? There was a string of these a few years back (if three constitutes a string) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash_8_landing_gear_incidents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YibvwkTXTYc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
lol India

Reuters posted:

INDIA-AIRCRAFT ACCIDENT
Edit Number: 5141 / Revision 2| 07/11/14 11:51:10
Plane hits stray buffalo during take-off in India

STORY: A SpiceJet plane crashed into a stray buffalo during take-off from India's western Surat city on Thursday (November 06) although no passengers or crew were hurt.

The airline was forced to ground the Boeing 737 which suffered "substantial damages", plane's operator said. SpiceJet said the buffalo, which was killed in the accident on Thursday evening, was "essentially invisible" against a dark background. Passengers on the Delhi-bound aircraft were transferred on to another plane, SpiceJet said.

Air Vice-Marshal (Retired), Indian Air Force, Kapil Kak, said a thorough inquiry should be launched and infrastructure of all airports across the country should be reviewed. He also said that the incident happened due to monumental security lapse and the tarmac should be properly fenced to avoid such incidents in future. "It is absolutely shocking because it is a life of 140 passengers which was at stake. Secondly, it is lucky, god's mercy that the aircraft was saved because take off role is a critical stage of an aircraft flight. Landing and take off these are the two critical segments. So we could have lost 140 lives," said Kak in New Delhi.

Poorly maintained fences at some Indian airports mean animals can stray onto runways.

"Stray animals are a growing menace in some airports," SpiceJet said in a statement. "This incident has affected our regular operations and hence SpiceJet flights from Surat will now be suspended after this incident."

Meanwhile, Kak held Surat airport responsible for the incident. He also slammed Prime Minister Narendra Modi for not upgrading airport infrastructure in his own home state. "This is not a fault of the airline. This is the fault of the Surat airport who controls Surat airport, the airport authority of India, who controls the Airport Authority of India, the ministry of civil aviation of the government of India. Surat is in Gujarat and a Gujarati is the prime minister of India," said Kak.

The passengers were later booked on an alternate flight which had come from Mumbai. Indian airports are not new to stray animals including dogs, deer and wild boars causing delays to flights, despite heightened security over fears of terrorist attacks.