Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
2nd edition of the Seven Seas Writer is finally available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Just got me a veritable heap of old stylographs which are technically fountain pens.

There's even more not pictured as I'm working on restoring them to working order and several more that are coming in later. Almost all from used eBay lots that I patiently waited for to come by and go for ultra-low prices.

That's what it looks like after being cleaned. Granted, the insides are more important but they are also very clean after working on them. I used my airbrush on high PSI with cleaning agent to blast the gently caress out of all the petrified ink and residue. I also went through two boxes of q-tips; now it's squeaky clean.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Hellbeard posted:

That's what it looks like after being cleaned. Granted, the insides are more important but they are also very clean after working on them. I used my airbrush on high PSI with cleaning agent to blast the gently caress out of all the petrified ink and residue. I also went through two boxes of q-tips; now it's squeaky clean.

Two boxes on just that one?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Crazyeyes posted:

Two boxes on just that one?

On four pens. They were partially depleted from cleaning ears and other q-tip related activities tbh.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Hellbeard posted:

Just got me a veritable heap of old stylographs which are technically fountain pens.

There's even more not pictured as I'm working on restoring them to working order and several more that are coming in later. Almost all from used eBay lots that I patiently waited for to come by and go for ultra-low prices.

I both love and hate these finicky bastards.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Noctone posted:

2nd edition of the Seven Seas Writer is finally available.

These notebooks remain one of the best ways to get Tomoe River outside of Japan (and are, per page, cheaper than most Japanese notebooks using Tomoe River.)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Dammit Kaweco I should not have to adjust your nibs straight out of the package! :argh:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I'm preparing to leave for the Ohio Pen Show, and I'm pretty excited. The last time I went was about 15 years ago, maybe. I had no budget to speak of and 95% of that was wiped out when I got a flat tire on the way there. Hopefully the trip will be free of disaster this time around (knock on wood). I'm really looking forward to picking up a vintage pen or two -- I've wanted a Parker 51 for years -- and maybe a nice new pen as well. I have a little shopping list tucked in my wallet, a budget tracker on the reverse side, and a pen holster with the day's workhorse pen (a Metropolitan) and the Lamy 2000 I hope to get the flow adjusted on.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kessel posted:

These notebooks remain one of the best ways to get Tomoe River outside of Japan (and are, per page, cheaper than most Japanese notebooks using Tomoe River.)

I googled around a bit (not too in-depth, I admit) and didn't find them to buy, any of you guys have a link to them?

VVVVVV Gracias!

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 7, 2014

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Edmond Dantes posted:

I googled around a bit (not too in-depth, I admit) and didn't find them to buy, any of you guys have a link to them?

Aqui

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
So last night I was drunk and decided I should write a note to remind myself of something in the morning as I was liable to forget it. In the process of uncapping my Metro and picking up the paper, I dropped the Metro on the desk and now the nib writes scratchy as gently caress :smith:

It still writes and I might be able to fix it later, but probably not. At least it was the Metro and not a more expensive pen.

Don't drink and write kids.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Metro is a good pen for fumbling IMO. Metal body so it'll hold up to a lot of abuse and you can replace the nib by yanking one out of some other cheap-o Pilot, like I see the Plumix as a nib replacement and nothing else because the actual pen is so lovely to hold. I dropped mine a bunch before it finally landed on the nib and bent it to hell.

That would also be why I don't see myself ever having any really expensive pens because butterfingers.

edit: Have some bad photos of my new Elite 95s (the lighting in my office is awful, sorry), with a comparison (capped, uncapped, and posted) to a capped Metro for size comparison. I was able to get one from Japan with free shipping so got it for $95 vs ~$130 for the US version.

I've found myself writing with it unposted more than anything. It's lightweight and comfortable to hold, so I think if I was going to be writing for a long period of time this would be the pen I'd reach for. I love how it looks as well; this is definitely the prettiest pen I have now.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 7, 2014

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I twisted up a bit of tissue and used it to swab exceed ink out of my pen cap, as I often do, except I used a piece of paper towel and managed to jam the plastic insert in my metro cap up to far and now it doesn't close anymore. May try to drag it out with a fish hook and reseat it this weekend.

I am good at pen :downs:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kessel posted:

Agreed, the only downside is how it's a relatively thick notebook which makes writing new entries awkward for me. I prefer to keep my notebooks to <100 pages or less.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

pienipple posted:

I twisted up a bit of tissue and used it to swab exceed ink out of my pen cap, as I often do, except I used a piece of paper towel and managed to jam the plastic insert in my metro cap up to far and now it doesn't close anymore. May try to drag it out with a fish hook and reseat it this weekend.

I am good at pen :downs:

Use a #2 pencil, stick it in eraser first, lean it to the side a little and pull it out. It's how I clean the cap on my TWSBI, the eraser grabs the insert if you give it a small amount of sideways pressure.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So the Ohio Pen Show was fun, if a bit overwhelming. There were a truly dizzying array of vintage pens laid out for sale. I picked up a Parker "51" -- I've wanted one for years -- and a Vacumatic as well. (The detective work after coming home to identify when the Parkers were made was a lot of fun. The Vacumatic was very straightforward -- date code of .6. and post-war celluloid plunger means 1946 instead of '36 -- but the 51 took a while longer; no date code, shortened arrow clip, Superchrome ink recommended on filler, and a cap with a very narrow band means between 1953 and 1957.)

Most important to me, though, is that I got Richard Binder to adjust the nib on my Lamy 2000. It had never been the same after I got in a car wreck with it in my pocket, despite being back to Lamy twice for repair. (They replaced the barrel and section, but kept the original nib and cap.) It now writes just as I remember it. Apparently, the tines of the nib were pushed together in the wreck. It was a gift, and was my daily use pen for years, so I'm very happy to have it in good working order again.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 10, 2014

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

atholbrose posted:

So the Ohio Pen Show was fun, if a bit overwhelming. There were a truly dizzying array of vintage pens laid out for sale. I picked up a Parker "51" -- I've wanted one for years -- and a Vacumatic as well. (The detective work after coming home to identify when the Parkers were made was a lot of fun. The Vacumatic was very straightforward -- date code of .6. and post-war celluloid plunger means 1946 instead of '36 -- but the 51 took a while longer; no date code, shortened arrow clip, Superchrome ink recommended on filler, and a cap with a very narrow band means between 1953 and 1957.)

Most important to me, though, is that I got Richard Binder to adjust the nib on my Lamy 2000. It had never been the same after I got in a car wreck with it in my pocket, despite being back to Lamy twice for repair. (They replaced the barrel and section, but kept the original nib and cap.) It now writes just as I remember it. Apparently, the tines of the nib were pushed together in the wreck. It was a gift, and was my daily use pen for years, so I'm very happy to have it in good working order again.

Congrats! Tim Girdler fixed my Pilot Metro last year--no where nearly as nice as a Lamy 2000, but my first and then best pen. He did it at no cost because he is a very nice man. :3: This year, I fell in love with an Edison pen at the show, but I can't afford too be spending house money right now. Brian Gray said I could order it later by emailing him, fortunately. My highlight was getting to play with a flexie under the supervision of Deb, the woman who did the calligraphy workshops.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So i went down to my local pen place to check for my next acquisition in the 50-100 dollar range, and the suggestion i got was for a Faber-Castell that i believe they had at 75 dollars. I never hear about this brand in thread, is there any thoughts that people have on the pens? Thing wrote like a dream, weight was a little strange.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Dunno about the pens, but the inks are the poo poo.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tulip posted:

So i went down to my local pen place to check for my next acquisition in the 50-100 dollar range, and the suggestion i got was for a Faber-Castell that i believe they had at 75 dollars. I never hear about this brand in thread, is there any thoughts that people have on the pens? Thing wrote like a dream, weight was a little strange.

Their FPs are C/C and steel nibs right? IIRC they are mid-range and come in a variety of finishes not limited to wood or metal. I'm familiar with their line of art supplies if that counts. Heavy FPs make my hand tired but YMMV.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

They're an old brand with their FPs more focused these days on outer appearance. The nibs are average at best, even on the very expensive Graf von FC line.

If you like the look go ahead, but you can find more competent writers for less money.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Tulip posted:

I have a FC Ambition:

I've had it for 3 or 4 years now (Fine nib) and while it's a good pen, it fits in the hand well and it's EXCEPTIONALLY well balanced, the nib is an absolute nail. There's absolutely no flex at all, no feedback from the paper and until I used a bit of brown paper bag was a bit scratchy out of the box.

It's a GOOD pen, it requires its own specific converter but overall, for the price I wouldn't necessarily buy it again except that it's damned good looking, very slim, and feels good. If it were half the price (around $100 as I recall) it'd be a better value.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 12, 2014

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

IIRC all their nibs are sourced from Bock. The steel ones are basically nails, though the gold ones on the Graf pens are alright.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.
The several Faber-Castell steel nibs I've used, all medium, are quite smooth writers if a bit wet. Yah they are absolute nails but I save the expressive flex writing for my Jinhao x450 with a noodler's flex nib jammed into it. I actually would say that the few that I've tried have been the smoothest steel nibs I've used.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Ohhhh, nice, my Falcon from Massdrop just shipped. Now I just need to go to the states to pick it up. In March.

:negative:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Thelonious Monk posted:

The several Faber-Castell steel nibs I've used, all medium, are quite smooth writers if a bit wet. Yah they are absolute nails but I save the expressive flex writing for my Jinhao x450 with a noodler's flex nib jammed into it. I actually would say that the few that I've tried have been the smoothest steel nibs I've used.

My first pen that brought me in was a Faber-Castell Loom with a piano black cap, and it owns. That's all I gotta say about that!

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I just got my first pair of Indian pens. For the price of one. I am definitely buying more poo poo from Asapens.

I bought the Gama Airborne, very cheap, ebonite.
It came with an extra, an acrylic Oliver Matrix (I have not been able to find any information about THIS particular model)

It's got pretty colors.

Terrible picture. It is a rather pretty green with brown/black swirls.

Ebonite body, feed, and barrel, Interesting.

I am an idiot and forgot to flush the Gama with water + soap first. I did with the Oliver, and it writes nicely.

Dissassembled.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
What do you guys do about the piston stem after you rinse out an Ahab? I got one to tinker with, but I can't figure out what I can jam up in there to dry it out and use it with different inks more quickly.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

NeurosisHead posted:

What do you guys do about the piston stem after you rinse out an Ahab? I got one to tinker with, but I can't figure out what I can jam up in there to dry it out and use it with different inks more quickly.

This might be weird, but I take the breather tube, stick it up there, and blow through it to dislodge all the water that gets stuck up there.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Anyone going to the Sheffield show on the 23rd?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Korwen posted:

This might be weird, but I take the breather tube, stick it up there, and blow through it to dislodge all the water that gets stuck up there.

I ended up threading some cotton twine in it, letting it absorb the water and then letting it air dry.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

When did Goulet redo their website? I don't like it.

Also, the Falcon I ordered from Massdrop arrived yesterday. This is a seriously light pen, and definitely the scratchiest writer in my collection. But I think I like it, certainly can be neat to write with though. The beefier metal Falcon does hold my interest as a pen to buy at some point down the road, maybe in the medium nib?

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Just. I don't either; they changed their script font and it doesn't look as good. And it made me miss signing up for this month's ink drop.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Also, the Falcon I ordered from Massdrop arrived yesterday. This is a seriously light pen, and definitely the scratchiest writer in my collection. But I think I like it, certainly can be neat to write with though. The beefier metal Falcon does hold my interest as a pen to buy at some point down the road, maybe in the medium nib?

Yeah, resin FPs tend to be very light weight. I know some people prefer the metal ver but I don't mind it. Not really supposed to be scratchy for writing though.

The Goulet site seems to lag a bit for loading all the giant images too.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

howe_sam posted:

Still waiting on my Falcon. Got a shipping notice and a tracking number, but it just says "tracking not found". Also gave in to an impulse and bought a TWSBI 580 with a 1.1 stub nib. Usually I go for fines and extra-fines, so this will be... different.

The worst thing about Goulet's site redesign is that you can no longer see if something is out of stock until you go to the item page. The second worst thing is the loss of my wishlist. Sigh.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.
Ordering a Sailor KOP in ebonite with the naginata togi nib turned out to be my most expensive decision. The wait time is like months and I've already gotten two OMAS paragons and a pelikan m800 because I'm jonesing hard for a new pen.

Thelonious Monk fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 17, 2014

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Found my way here from the wet shaving thread in YLLS. Ended up ordering a Metropolitan (medium nib, black zig zag), along with samples of Noodler's 54th Mass, Lexington Grey and Heart of Darkness and 3 "surprise me!" samples. Oh, and a couple of Rhodia webnotebooks as I love the paper and had been meaning to order them anyways, and Goulet's prices weren't too bad.

I didn't get to see what the old site looked like, but I didn't think the new one was too terrible. Of course, after reading the OP I knew I was going to get a Metro and a couple Noodler's samples so I was able to drill down to what I wanted quickly. I spent more time looking at all the swabs of Noodler's bulletproof/eternal/etc inks to decide what samples I want than anything else. (There's probably a half dozen more Noodler's colors I'll probably get samples of if I become a FP convert, but figured I'd start with just a few.) I did notice that they seem to be actively listening to feedback on the new site via their blog and Twitter/FB, if there's anything that really bothers you or you think needs to be fixed.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

atholbrose posted:

The second worst thing is the loss of my wishlist. Sigh.

:confused: Mine made it through just fine. Are you sure you're logged in?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Remora posted:

:confused: Mine made it through just fine. Are you sure you're logged in?
Yep. The stationery I had on it is there, but all the pens have gone -- probably because they merged all the different nib sizes of pens onto one listing, I'd guess. Also, you can't wishlist something that isn't in stock, which is pretty silly.

Another problem from that merge: you used to be able to see what was in stock from the search results, and you no longer can, not even for items -- like ink -- that have only one version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

milpreve posted:

Just. I don't either; they changed their script font and it doesn't look as good. And it made me miss signing up for this month's ink drop.

There wasn't one. Next'll be December and apparently it'll be a biggie, at least?