Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...
I have a level 32 Bastion and just logged in to check this game out again after the beta, just like every other post in this thread. Are there any guides to help me learn to play again? I'm reading through this entire thread in the meantime. Are there any new cool things Bastions have for their turrets? I love any part of this game that makes me feel like I am playing a fps tower defense game. I was one of those guys who could just do thumping all the time with a group and be completely content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Strike Anywhere posted:

I have a level 32 Bastion and just logged in to check this game out again after the beta, just like every other post in this thread. Are there any guides to help me learn to play again? I'm reading through this entire thread in the meantime. Are there any new cool things Bastions have for their turrets? I love any part of this game that makes me feel like I am playing a fps tower defense game. I was one of those guys who could just do thumping all the time with a group and be completely content.

Have you played since release? The game plays pretty much the same as it did before. C to activate your calldown menu, Q to swap weapons, F to tag enemies on SIN.

Bastions don't have anything new. Well, they did heavily reduce the amount of time your turrets stay in the world, so you will need to keep an eye on them to replace them once they disappear.

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006

Nalin posted:

Have you played since release? The game plays pretty much the same as it did before. C to activate your calldown menu, Q to swap weapons, F to tag enemies on SIN.

Bastions don't have anything new. Well, they did heavily reduce the amount of time your turrets stay in the world, so you will need to keep an eye on them to replace them once they disappear.

Haven't played since release.

I was reading that a Bastion can have 11 turrets active at once now? And there are Heavy Rocket turrets? So I must have played before they added some more stuff.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Strike Anywhere posted:

Haven't played since release.

I was reading that a Bastion can have 11 turrets active at once now? And there are Heavy Rocket turrets? So I must have played before they added some more stuff.

The "11 Turrets" is the absolute cap that no one could feasibly reach.
Deployment Multi-Turret (3+1) + Blue/Purple Deployment Module (+2) + Long Range Deploy (+1) = 7
Deployment Heavy Turret (1) + Blue/Purple Deployment Module (+2) + Long Range Deploy (+1) = 4

The Heavy Turrets would most likely start despawning by the time you get the third one down, you would have to get assistance by something forcing your cooldowns to refresh. Even then, with this build all of your turrets would probably last 2 min each. Multi-Turret has a decent cooldown but you can only queue up 4 (up from 3). Heavy Rocket Turrets are a thing (You can buy the recipe for it)- instead of bullets at Stage 1, they fire rockets. Not really useful for PVP as its too slow, at Stage 2 it'll regain the gatling ability.

However besides being more expensive to make and full of lovely RNG prefixes, the Rocket Turret also has a longer cooldown making it not suitable for "Maximum Turrets!". Much easier to just level up a Bastion alt to lv40, all of the turrets.

Edit: Also turrets tend to lose their niche in higher level areas as most mobs become Tanky or Ranged, they did finally boost the turret HP pool of turrets but they still don't stand a chance. Recluse seems better for later level Thumping, especially if you RNG a "Chosen Attack" for your 70% Mini Boss round. Turrets are absolutely useless against 40+ Chosen and 6 High HP Drop Pods, which by the way will spawn more chosen squads in intervals. If you can take out the drop pods you'll be off a lot better.

Now for the most important part- Thumping is almost completely useless unless you want Mob/Bio drops, the Resources you get from doing it is completely laughable. You could throw a detonator at a rock and get the same amount or more than you would have from spending 5 minutes thumping.

JonusRockweller fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 5, 2014

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006

JonusRockweller posted:

~~heart breaking news~~

Well, shoot.

Sad to hear that the turrets putter out from the sound of it. Thanks for all of the info. A friend is going to try out the game so I was talking to him about how classes used to be, but I better not lead him astray.

I'll check out the Recluse. Firecat also still a power house or not so much?

oh you also said: "Much easier to just level up a Bastion alt to lv40, all of the turrets." -- what word did you leave out?

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Strike Anywhere posted:

oh you also said: "Much easier to just level up a Bastion alt to lv40, all of the turrets." -- what word did you leave out?

Oh, I just meant it was just easier to level up an alternate account's Bastion to lv40, that way you have about 5 extra turrets without all the cooldown fighting. Can't say I use mine much for Thumping given the past few changes to thumping though. Oh, one hilarious thing happened with Nalin and I; He dropped down a Personal I Thumper (Only capable of thumping iron nowadays), it single handedly wiped out a 48% Titanium Node by converting it all into dirt. Ahahaha.

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
So now with thumping you can still use a hammer to find the central focus point of a mineral, but you're only going to get all options out of a pers 3 or squad 3. And from the sound of it, resources are better gained from running missions.

Although it also seems like thumping can still be the classic fun it was if you have a full higher level group that can handle squad 3 stuff.

I just remember setting up thumpers in crazy locations that would channel mobs across choke points and having a great time abusing landscape with turret placement. Ah well.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Strike Anywhere posted:

So now with thumping you can still use a hammer to find the central focus point of a mineral, but you're only going to get all options out of a pers 3 or squad 3. And from the sound of it, resources are better gained from running missions.

Although it also seems like thumping can still be the classic fun it was if you have a full higher level group that can handle squad 3 stuff.

I just remember setting up thumpers in crazy locations that would channel mobs across choke points and having a great time abusing landscape with turret placement. Ah well.

You get about 60 resources from a deposit. If you run into a 30% titanium node, drop a P3 thumper, and get it to 100% (2x bonus), you will get 325 * 2 * 0.3 = 195 resources. If you are by yourself. If you have multiple people on a personal thumper, your 2x bonus will get split. (325 + 325 / 3) * 0.3 = 130 resources for 3 people on a P3. It can still be worthwhile to thump.

Broken Peninsula gives you free SRT-3 thumpers with 1000 capacity (Squad 3 = 375 capacity), but the 2x bonus is broken. It is an easier place to thump, though, but you have to deal with people trying to gank you and defending your base and all the other stuff involved with BP.

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
So I have a few hundred thousand crystite, about 100,000 research points, and some research time. I'm unlocking the white level abilities and such that I know I'll want to build.

It looks like I can only get the components to craft this stuff out of the appropriate areas, though. So I'll have to be in Sertao or whatever in the level 32-36 areas to get the drops I need?

I have a new friend starting so I'd like to be able to profit off of helping him out and showing him the game. I know I could run a new frame with him but I'd like to continue with my Bastion. It looks like I can thump in the newbie areas to at least gather some bio materials?

Or should I just forget about trying to get anything out of any zones that aren't around my level?

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013
I notice with crafting there seems to be a few bottle necks, for sake of simplicity we'll just call them "Tiers". Tier 1 and Tier 3 specific components like copper wire (Ore) and Optical Coolers (Lv40 salvage, which is where everyone remains) are widely common.

Tier 2 introduces the first bottle neck, Semiconductors, which come from Lv20~ Salvaging and Junk Salvage. The thing is, the chance of you getting a semiconductor from salvaging is random, and the chance of you getting lv20 gear regularly is low, since most people move on from the lv20~25 area into the higher areas in a matter of a few hours for better and easier XP. 'Loot Pinata Events' make getting junk salvage a bit easier, but it is still RNG ontop of RNG.

Tier 4 introduces the last bottle neck, Uranium Rods, which comes from a harder to find resource which is only available in smaller quantities which gets refined into the Rods in a 1:8 ratio(?), not to mention all higher tiers require the materials from the previous tiers so the semiconductor bottle neck gets hit harder for anyone wanting Lv40 Purple gear. Crystatic Nucleotides are also part of the high-end bottleneck except it affects fewer construction recipes and tends to drop anywhere there is a lv40 creature mob, so you'll be gaining it regardless of thumping for uranium, or grinding for equipment / levels.

TL;DR, Semiconductors are primarily available in the short lived newbie areas from Tanken and lv20 gear, uranium is primarily available in very small pockets in piss poor quantities only to get refined into an even smaller number. Both are used for everything, and their prices will never drop long term because of it. All crafting will result will result in an uncontrolled prefix.

--

Hold off on your research unless its something you can use, currently crafting is not worth while unless you're already sitting on top of a pile of resources and credits. Crystite is more valuable in the form of Credits (given the 24 hour lockout) and non-VIP players are only given several sale slots, when Red5 is handing out VIP time the spice on the market flows but when it runs out, no one has the credits to buy anything freely so the market goes stagnant. Anyone looking to buy higher end gear is generally looking for something very specific within their price range since the income of credits is fairly low (unless you sell beans.)

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Strike Anywhere posted:

So I have a few hundred thousand crystite, about 100,000 research points, and some research time. I'm unlocking the white level abilities and such that I know I'll want to build.

It looks like I can only get the components to craft this stuff out of the appropriate areas, though. So I'll have to be in Sertao or whatever in the level 32-36 areas to get the drops I need?

I have a new friend starting so I'd like to be able to profit off of helping him out and showing him the game. I know I could run a new frame with him but I'd like to continue with my Bastion. It looks like I can thump in the newbie areas to at least gather some bio materials?

Or should I just forget about trying to get anything out of any zones that aren't around my level?

You'll have to buy the mats or farm them in the lower level areas. You could also get your friend to send you the mats he gets.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
If you do BWA box runs, you can get circuit salvage, which gives you the semiconductors.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Strike Anywhere posted:

You can get useful crafting drops from thumping (especially with high-level thumpers) but your friend might become bored if you're there slaughtering everything with your high-level frame while he's just getting started.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yes crafting is not worth it, keep buying reputation gear or drops and if that fails get something from the auction house every ten levels or so and you'll be fine. Remember to keep your poo poo socketed though, modules are where much of your power rating comes from.

That said Bastion is still good and I will fight anyone who says otherwise, if you find favorable terrain, bunker right and support with your sticky launcher you'll just tear poo poo up. You won't be as mobile as a Recluse but then you're loving thumping, no need to be mobile at all.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Also, the crafting system is going to be going through an overhaul in the future to allow you to craft the prefix of your choice, among other things. Just buy from the market and save your materials.

Errazial
Aug 27, 2008
A few questions, i I may:

1. What's Dark Crystite and its variants good for?

2. Is there a practical difference between the various bikes in the shop? They're all listed as being great at everything, but the costs differ wildly.

3. Is there anything else that can help me to get around quickly? I'm mostly using the fast-travel mod, the basic bike and the VIP glider.

4. What's the goon presence like during European evenings? This thread seems kind of quiet.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Errazial posted:

1. What's Dark Crystite and its variants good for?

2. Is there a practical difference between the various bikes in the shop? They're all listed as being great at everything, but the costs differ wildly.

3. Is there anything else that can help me to get around quickly? I'm mostly using the fast-travel mod, the basic bike and the VIP glider.

4. What's the goon presence like during European evenings? This thread seems kind of quiet.

1. It was used to push back the melding in DT. It will probably be used for that again in the future as well as (speculation) summoning open world bosses.

2. They look different and are different rarities. Not all bikes are the same though. some are slightly faster and have less health.

3. If you're using the level 25 bike then upgrading your bike is a huge improvement. Otherwise no, gliders are great, especially as an assault with after burner.

4. US East is a little goon thin, so I assume Europe would be too. They are probably playing ArcheAge.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Errazial posted:

1. Currently nothing. There are recipes for using it to make M.A.N.'s (old item that used to summon Baneclaw) and Melding Chambers, but they aren't implemented/enabled. It's basically for future use.

2. All the red bean LGVs are identical in performance. The only difference is looks.

4. Not many goons play Firefall. Or they do, but never visit MMO HMO and see the thread.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So I've got quite a few red beans and would like to come back to play this somewhat casually. A few questions:

1) before I got pulled away by Planetside 2, I loved the hell out of the Recluse. Since then AOE has been hit HARD though, so is either it or the Firecat worth pursuing?
2) Of the Dread frames, which one is the most ridiculous? I like to play to the nature of a class, so something big and slow with crazy potent weapons and abilities centered on KILLGUYS NOW are appealing to me. I prefer lots of active health regen to tankiness (hence my love of the Recluse) but can work with either.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Epic High Five posted:

So I've got quite a few red beans and would like to come back to play this somewhat casually. A few questions:

1) before I got pulled away by Planetside 2, I loved the hell out of the Recluse. Since then AOE has been hit HARD though, so is either it or the Firecat worth pursuing?
2) Of the Dread frames, which one is the most ridiculous? I like to play to the nature of a class, so something big and slow with crazy potent weapons and abilities centered on KILLGUYS NOW are appealing to me. I prefer lots of active health regen to tankiness (hence my love of the Recluse) but can work with either.

1) Of course. When did you play, though? When 1.0 came out, they introduced AoE modules that could boost the Recluse alt-fire to an absurd 10m. They nerfed the modules so you will only get to around 6m or so now. It is still perfectly adequate.

2) Hmm. Rhino is currently the strongest dread in both PvE and PvP. The Laser HMG is hitscan and has the highest DPS out of the dread weapons. Charge is powerful in PvP. Sundering Wave is great in PvE. Finally, dreads will normally take Heavy Armor and mod the damage resist up to 60% on it. Mammoth is the tankiest dread class. It has more HP and has shield abilities. The Plasma HMG has substantial bullet drop, and the projectiles travel slowly, so it can take a bit getting used to. Really though, all the Dreads are pretty good.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nalin posted:

1) Of course. When did you play, though? When 1.0 came out, they introduced AoE modules that could boost the Recluse alt-fire to an absurd 10m. They nerfed the modules so you will only get to around 6m or so now. It is still perfectly adequate.

2) Hmm. Rhino is currently the strongest dread in both PvE and PvP. The Laser HMG is hitscan and has the highest DPS out of the dread weapons. Charge is powerful in PvP. Sundering Wave is great in PvE. Finally, dreads will normally take Heavy Armor and mod the damage resist up to 60% on it. Mammoth is the tankiest dread class. It has more HP and has shield abilities. The Plasma HMG has substantial bullet drop, and the projectiles travel slowly, so it can take a bit getting used to. Really though, all the Dreads are pretty good.

It was from release to about 3 weeks out. Recluse is probably a shell of what it once was, which is why I'm asking at all :(

Is Rhino as lacking in AOE as it sounds? I do prefer that playstyle, but am willing to count "spraying so many bullets everywhere and so fast that it's LIKE a splash radius" as AOE. Which one gets turret mode? I remember that being spoken up here, and it sounds like the kind of thing I'd like

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Epic High Five posted:

Is Rhino as lacking in AOE as it sounds? I do prefer that playstyle, but am willing to count "spraying so many bullets everywhere and so fast that it's LIKE a splash radius" as AOE. Which one gets turret mode? I remember that being spoken up here, and it sounds like the kind of thing I'd like
IIRC all of them get turret mode, since it's a base Dread ability. Mammoth gets shield wall which makes you invulnerable for several seconds, though, which is amazing for Kanaloa.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Morglon posted:

Yes crafting is not worth it, keep buying reputation gear or drops and if that fails get something from the auction house every ten levels or so and you'll be fine. Remember to keep your poo poo socketed though, modules are where much of your power rating comes from.

That said Bastion is still good and I will fight anyone who says otherwise, if you find favorable terrain, bunker right and support with your sticky launcher you'll just tear poo poo up. You won't be as mobile as a Recluse but then you're loving thumping, no need to be mobile at all.

Bastion is extremely powerful. Particularly with the heat rifle or whatever it's called version of the Tesla rifle. Burns the target, has no charge-up, and applies a 75% slowdown to whatever you hit (I think the only thing that's stopped this from being nerfed already is how rare the gun is). I'm probably more successful with my Bastion in PvP than I am with any other frame. Area denial + range dictation is a powerful combination.

Ralith posted:

IIRC all of them get turret mode, since it's a base Dread ability. Mammoth gets shield wall which makes you invulnerable for several seconds, though, which is amazing for Kanaloa.

This is correct, although, does shield wall actually make you invulnerable? Absorption Bomb does, which all dreads get, and I've seen it used many times for Kana.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013
Absorption Bomb doesn't make you fully immune but does block a high percentage of oncoming damage, the Wall Shield acts more like a peripheral object in that it actually takes the damage instead of you (like a Drone), no percentages of defense about it.

JonusRockweller fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 8, 2014

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Nalin (or anyone) have you had a chance to mess with the new 1.2 instances on the PTS? They look like they could be fun.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Inimicul posted:

Nalin (or anyone) have you had a chance to mess with the new 1.2 instances on the PTS? They look like they could be fun.

I have not. They only recently re-added the level 40 item vendor. I was planning on trying soon, though. Operation Miru actually has two different paths, with different loot, enemies, and bosses depending on which path you take.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Hookay I give up, just going to ask here and look retarded as there is nothing on the internet and even a Red 5 dev has no idea. How the hell are Biotechs healing on hit? Ive been playing one a while now and neither it or a dragonfly say anything anywhere about healing on hit with their primary weapon.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Feonir posted:

Hookay I give up, just going to ask here and look retarded as there is nothing on the internet and even a Red 5 dev has no idea. How the hell are Biotechs healing on hit? Ive been playing one a while now and neither it or a dragonfly say anything anywhere about healing on hit with their primary weapon.

It is a Biotech 1-point perk.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Nalin posted:

It is a Biotech 1-point perk.

Huh which one? I looked but did not see it.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
It's called Siphoning Unit. Heals you for 10% of the damage you do.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

It's called Siphoning Unit. Heals you for 10% of the damage you do.

No no, not healing me. I have seen a level 6 all the way through to 40 Biotech healing other people with their primary or secondary fire.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Feonir posted:

No no, not healing me. I have seen a level 6 all the way through to 40 Biotech healing other people with their primary or secondary fire.

Oh that. That's the special alternative biotech gun. It's also called a bio-needler, just for loving confusing sake. The main fire is a lot slower than the default biotech gun, and the altfire takes 2 ammo per shot instead of one, but heals the target you hit over time. The primary is damage over time as well, and a decent alternative for messing about on like, the dragonfly or something.

Of note: Unless they fixed it recently, the alt fire on this gun can heal things that normally cannot be healed. Like OCT dishes, mechanical objectives, even your bike if you want.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DelphiAegis posted:

It's also called a bio-needler, just for loving confusing sake

No, it's the BioInjector.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Nalin posted:

No, it's the BioInjector.

It's gonna inject some trouble in your bubble, buuuuuuddy.

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009
Getting a bit burned out from having binged a ridiculous amount of Warframe over the last month, going to try to give this game another go. Unfortunately, for a new player, this game just feels so damned inaccessible! This isn't a problem I normally have with games, I can figure out and get the hang of some crazy convoluted crap, but for some reason I still don't feel like I'm completely "getting" what this game is all about and the best ways it should be played. Anyway, it definitely has it's fun moments so far, so I hope I can get in the groove in time. Sent in my app in-game, same character name as SA name.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hahahahaha OMG, where have you been all my life, Dreadnaught?

It was pretty enjoyable, then I invested a few credits into longmag modules and I think I'm sold. Does this frame ever stop being so much fun?

Wish it had more AOE than Explosive Bullets at the moment, though Explosive Bullets is just boss as all hell. Which of the frames is a good DAKKA frame with some method of self-healing? I'm leaning toward Mammoth because of the high capacity magazine, but the Rhino's offensive prowess is tough to argue with. Wish there was a way to trial frames :(

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Epic High Five posted:

Wish it had more AOE than Explosive Bullets at the moment, though Explosive Bullets is just boss as all hell. Which of the frames is a good DAKKA frame with some method of self-healing? I'm leaning toward Mammoth because of the high capacity magazine, but the Rhino's offensive prowess is tough to argue with. Wish there was a way to trial frames :(

Mammoth Plasma HMG is supposed to have a small splash. It has often been broken, though. The only self-healing you will find on a Dread is the perk that heals you when you are under 35% HP.

Also, whenever they have a "frame weekend", that frame becomes unlocked for everybody. It is currently Firecat weekend, so you should be able to play the Firecat until Monday.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nalin posted:

Mammoth Plasma HMG is supposed to have a small splash. It has often been broken, though. The only self-healing you will find on a Dread is the perk that heals you when you are under 35% HP.

Also, whenever they have a "frame weekend", that frame becomes unlocked for everybody. It is currently Firecat weekend, so you should be able to play the Firecat until Monday.

Does the Recluse's Poison damage healing perk apply to weaponry? Was thinking of testing that out with my secondary or something. So far though, damage hasn't really been an issue

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Does the Recluse's Poison damage healing perk apply to weaponry? Was thinking of testing that out with my secondary or something. So far though, damage hasn't really been an issue

I'm almost certain it does. I haven't played recluse in a while to confirm, but recently when I played DFly it was working for the bio-rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Epic High Five posted:

It does. That's why a Recluse alt firing swarms of Chosen and the like is near unkillable.

• Locked thread