Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like units who are good. Which side am I on???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tae posted:

Haar ain't close to the best unit if we're counting the entire game.

Who is better? He is probably the best in part 2, hands down the best unit in part 3, pretty much tied for the best with Jill from 4-P to 4-E-2 and still solid from 4-E-3 to the end. That leaves only part 1 and Sothe, Volug and Nolan are definitely not good enough to even approach what Haar can do in the last two thirds of the game and Jill doesn't really come into her own until part 3 where she's still around for fewer maps than Haar.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Haar is worse than Jill literally only in the endgame, where she can double things. He carries your team on his back for just about everything else including the actual difficult chapters.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like archers

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Haar is the best until you promote Rolf because holy poo poo marksman Rolf is disgusting. I guess Ike could compete with Haar for total game use because he doesn't slip towards the end.

Regy Rusty posted:

I like archers
:hfive:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

dude789 posted:

Haar is the best until you promote Rolf because holy poo poo marksman Rolf is disgusting. I guess Ike could compete with Haar for total game use because he doesn't slip towards the end.

:hfive:

Haar doesn't really slip in the endgame. There are only 3 enemies he is too slow to double. Haar with a Brave Axe is doing all of 12 damage per round less than Ike with Ragnell against auras and doesn't need to be standing next to Nasir to do so. Plus Canto makes positioning your dragons and units to be refreshed by Rafiel a lot easier. On top of that Haar's high movement allows him to help kill the spirits around the boss of 4-E-4 for a turn one kill and he can ORKO white dragons to clear a path for your Lion Royals to take out the boss of 4-E-3.

Marksman Rolf is basically Haar but he can only kill one enemy per round (from 3 range), can't fly or canto, has lower move and actually takes damage from physical attacks.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Wow, I thought I was a fire emblem nerd.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
mook your avatars grow increasingly perplexing and worrying

e: also shinon supremacy bitches

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

theshim posted:

mook your avatars grow increasingly perplexing and worrying

I'm waiting to stop getting regularly red texted from the sports sub-forum then I'm gonna buy a Mook from Earthbound with the Austrian flag in the background.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Austrian mook posted:

Wow, I thought I was a fire emblem nerd.

If you haven't successfully gotten a character to move in a tier list you haven't fully embraced the depths of FE nerdiness.

FE10 especially inspires tier stuff for reasons I'm not sure of since it's the game where tiers make the least sense.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

theshim posted:

e: also shinon supremacy bitches

Shinon was really cool and I wish he had more dialogue although I usually end up using Rolf since I like using the garbage little kid unit who becomes a powerhouse.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

cheetah7071 posted:

If you haven't successfully gotten a character to move in a tier list you haven't fully embraced the depths of FE nerdiness.

FE10 especially inspires tier stuff for reasons I'm not sure of since it's the game where tiers make the least sense.

I honestly just don't get the point? The entire premise of the series is that your level ups are super random so every playthrough feels unique. The entire idea behind the game is for everyone to play the game different every time, it's like the people who make pokemon tier lists.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I always thought of it as a fun mental exercise more than something actually useful.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

I honestly just don't get the point? The entire premise of the series is that your level ups are super random so every playthrough feels unique. The entire idea behind the game is for everyone to play the game different every time, it's like the people who make pokemon tier lists.

the pokemon tier lists exist because you're actually playing against other human people. This is a single player game though.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

mabels big day posted:

the pokemon tier lists exist because you're actually playing against other human people. This is a single player game though.

No, people make single player tier lists

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

How many games in the series is a cavalier or paladin not the best unit? All I can think of is 5 (probably Safy but Asvel for a combat unit), 6 (Miredy), 9 (Marcia but you could argue Titania), 10 (Haar), 11 (Caeda, who will probably spend some time as a cav for the extra strength), 12 (MU could be a cav but it's probably not optimal and ignoring MU leaves Palla) and 13 (see previous MU but this time arguably with Fred in second.) This is more than half the series now that I'm thinking about it but a ton of those have cavs in second.

Uh... 7? Kent and Sain are solid, but far from the best units, and Lowen, Marcus, and Isadora are all between mediocre and garbage. 9 has Ike. 10 has Ike. 11 and 12 are kind of wonky because everyone can be a Paladin. 13 is similar in that regard to 11 and 12, but Sorcerers and Assassins are by far superior to any kind of mounted anything.

Cavalier/Paladins are decent units, but other than the outlier that was Seth there haven't been any top-tier paladins since 5.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That's only true if you're thinking plain old endgame stats and nothing else. In actual practice, characters like Marcus are some of your most useful because they're around when your guys are still weak.

cheetah7071 posted:

I always thought of it as a fun mental exercise more than something actually useful.
Yeah, it's just something fun to think about. I like to think about who the worst unit is rather than the best though. Like Wendy, can you say a drat good thing about Wendy? She's comically bad against like, everything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

level ups are random but characters still have growth rates and join time and poo poo

speaking as someone who's done it, people do it because they enjoy it. if they're being dicks about one true way to play the game then that's one thing but if they just enjoy objectively weighting the characters against each other and theorycrafting then whats it matter?

edit: wendy is more survivable than sophia and doesn't lock you out of a gaiden if she dies

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Endorph posted:

edit: wendy is more survivable than sophia and doesn't lock you out of a gaiden if she dies

See, now you've got a discussion going on. Wouldn't say Wendy is more survivable though, she gets one-rounded by archers in her staring chapter and it's pointless to train her up. Sophia on the other hand starts at level poo poo in a loving desert fog of war chapter (I think?). The two are really neck and neck in who is worse.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Momomo posted:

That's only true if you're thinking plain old endgame stats and nothing else. In actual practice, characters like Marcus are some of your most useful because they're around when your guys are still weak.

Yeah, it's just something fun to think about. I like to think about who the worst unit is rather than the best though. Like Wendy, can you say a drat good thing about Wendy? She's comically bad against like, everything.

Ehh, Marcus starts to slip pretty quickly behind the better units in 7 and the other cavaliers are very tepid stat wise. I'd say that someone like Hector or Oswin is probably the best in FE7 (Florina is also very good.)

GauchoNaut2085
Oct 23, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Haar doesn't really slip in the endgame. There are only 3 enemies he is too slow to double. Haar with a Brave Axe is doing all of 12 damage per round less than Ike with Ragnell against auras and doesn't need to be standing next to Nasir to do so. Plus Canto makes positioning your dragons and units to be refreshed by Rafiel a lot easier. On top of that Haar's high movement allows him to help kill the spirits around the boss of 4-E-4 for a turn one kill and he can ORKO white dragons to clear a path for your Lion Royals to take out the boss of 4-E-3.

Marksman Rolf is basically Haar but he can only kill one enemy per round (from 3 range), can't fly or canto, has lower move and actually takes damage from physical attacks.

Actually, this is untrue as early as the first endgame stage thanks to the Double Bow's 1-3 range for Marksmen. I'll give you the rest of that though.

For myself personally using the Lion Royals is boring even if it is essentially a victory lap stage-wise from their recruitment onward. The only Royal I use, if I feel like not doing any gimmick runs, is Tibarn because you can give him Blossom and punch his way to maxed stats which is both entertaining and profitable. Give him Blossom and Birdfoe and you won't need to worry about double attacks from crows or hawks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The best unit in fe7 is hawkeye, because drat son do I love that sprite. Who cares if his actual number things were garbage?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Momomo posted:

See, now you've got a discussion going on. Wouldn't say Wendy is more survivable though, she gets one-rounded by archers in her staring chapter and it's pointless to train her up. Sophia on the other hand starts at level poo poo in a loving desert fog of war chapter (I think?). The two are really neck and neck in who is worse.
wendy gets one rounded by most things, sophia gets one rounded by literally everything in a desert fog of war chapter with wyvern riders. you have to actively work to protect sophia, at least a little, while wendy you can just hide in a corner

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Endorph posted:

wendy gets one rounded by most things, sophia gets one rounded by literally everything in a desert fog of war chapter with wyvern riders. you have to actively work to protect sophia, at least a little, while wendy you can just hide in a corner

Wendy also joins earlier in the game, giving you more time to slowly and arduously raise her up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sophia is basically a walking treasure chest that can die, Wendy is a way to make two other mediocre units crit.

I think that makes Sophia more useful but honestly they're both complete crap.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The desert stage is the main reason why I will never beat FF6 a 2nd time.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I decided to have another go at Path of Radiance again because it's been a while since I played it, and I'm having some weird poo poo happen with Boyd's attack speed. He has 8 speed and 9 strength, and is using a 8 weight weapon (iron axe), which shouldn't be lowering his speed, and yet he is attacking at only 7 speed and thus can't double the plethora of 4 speed enemy units in the first few chapters.

Also I never really noticed this before but the loadouts for a lot of the enemy units in chapter 4 are completely and utterly asinine. Let's make a bunch of myrmidons with enormous speed but with weapons that lower their speed to 2-4, because ???

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

People like numbers, it doesn't matter if it's necessary or not. Not understanding why people like it doesn't change that they do.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Shortest Path posted:

I decided to have another go at Path of Radiance again because it's been a while since I played it, and I'm having some weird poo poo happen with Boyd's attack speed. He has 8 speed and 9 strength, and is using a 8 weight weapon (iron axe), which shouldn't be lowering his speed, and yet he is attacking at only 7 speed and thus can't double the plethora of 4 speed enemy units in the first few chapters.

Also I never really noticed this before but the loadouts for a lot of the enemy units in chapter 4 are completely and utterly asinine. Let's make a bunch of myrmidons with enormous speed but with weapons that lower their speed to 2-4, because ???

Have a good time playing the best game in the series! :D

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

WrightOfWay posted:

Who is better? He is probably the best in part 2, hands down the best unit in part 3, pretty much tied for the best with Jill from 4-P to 4-E-2 and still solid from 4-E-3 to the end. That leaves only part 1 and Sothe, Volug and Nolan are definitely not good enough to even approach what Haar can do in the last two thirds of the game and Jill doesn't really come into her own until part 3 where she's still around for fewer maps than Haar.

Actually Ilyana is the best because she is literally around all the dang time. She can also recruit Zihark away from the Dawn Brigade, leaving them with no good sword users and that's just brilliant.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Don't use them, then. :)

I don't, and I think I'm a better player for it. :)

I also never not use Nino, having her trash her fake evil mom.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Looper posted:

I also never not use Nino, having her trash her fake evil mom.

This is the objectively correct thing to do always.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think not using cavaliers would make you better, so much as it would slow you down a whole lot. You'd still have flyers and Priscilla though, unless you're determined to avoid all mounted units forever. Using Nino is always the right move though, because Nino's cool.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tae posted:

The desert stage is the main reason why I will never beat FF6 a 2nd time.

If it helps, Arcadia is only painful until your first time clearing it. Once you have an approximate idea of where/when the bullshit is there are plenty of worse maps in the series that never get more tolerable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I know Arcadia's bullshit, I use a guide whenever I attempt the map. The tedium of keeping Sophia alive and the extremely slow movement and general FF6 version of difficulty in Hard Mode makes it too much all at once.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

The Shortest Path posted:

Iron Axe weighs 10.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Raising Nino is the most boring, tedious poo poo ever and she doesn't even have more killing power than Pent because enemies in FE7 suck, even in HHM (there's just more of them there).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't remember the desert with Sophia being that bad on hard, though I only played FE6 one time and that was years ago.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Let's be honest the best Fire Emblem character ever is Seth. You get him from prologue on and he can literally duo the game with your chosen lord and it's no problem, no grinding necessary.

I really like Pent, his base stats are very nice and he comes at a good time for when you might need a magic user if yours didn't turn out so well, and he can staff things really well (he comes with a C rank in staves right?). Also Oswin is an absolute beast because it would take like, six bad level ups in a row for him to start falling behind.

Anyone do some crazy Support Convo fuckery in FE7? I made a trio out of Wil, Rebecca, and Dart (I think A Rebecca/Wil, B Dart/Rebecca, B Dart/Wil) and I ended up with 70+ crit rates for all of them with killer weapons. I wanted some extra challenge relying on archers and instead got a murderball that carried the game from the many many skill level ups they all got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

How Rude posted:

I really like Pent, his base stats are very nice and he comes at a good time for when you might need a magic user if yours didn't turn out so well, and he can staff things really well (he comes with a C rank in staves right?). Also Oswin is an absolute beast because it would take like, six bad level ups in a row for him to start falling behind.
A-Rank in Staves, actually. He's a lot like Niime in FE6 in that both are drop-in replacements for any of your healers/Magic users.

Hell, both also have double A-ranks in Magic and Staves, and both come with a free Physic Staff. Niime's squishier, but she has Nosferatu for tanking (plus buyable Angelic Robes, and why would you not give her 1 2), so about the same survivability.

One difference is that Niime's higher Magic + generally lower enemy resistance in FE6 means she's not just a healbot, she can also play around with the more fun staves like Sleep, Warp, Silence, and Berserk.:getin:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 7, 2014