Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

DemeaninDemon posted:

It's the pretentious vocabulary that really gets the knuckle sandwich makers going.

No, we don't hit. Use your words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

No, we don't hit. Use your words.

Hey they're the ones always bitching about alpha/beta males. I'm just exercising my rights as a 6'2"/235lb heap of masculinity.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
JK, they should all be suffocated with a produce bag.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Personally I'm in favor of flensing the skin from bone with piano wire rapidly whipped against the body.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
please remember that you are supposed to read names such as "mencius moldbug" as anything other than the name you'd give a lovely z movie villain, or possibly a forgettable subspecies of insect found in outhouses.

you are supposed to, somehow, read that name and take anything that man says seriously.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

VanSandman posted:

Personally I'm in favor of flensing the skin from bone with piano wire rapidly whipped against the body.

That's a bit show-y, don't cha think?

Anyways, welcome to clouttown, home of the cloutburger, can I take your order?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's a bit show-y, don't cha think?

What? I'm just saying that when it comes to flensing, piano wire is a good choice stylistically and practically.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're speaking my language here.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

You're speaking my language here.

That'll be two ministers and $600,000 in contributions to their children's scholarship trusts paid over 3 years, one black Congressman covering the south side, and seven no-bid contracts by statewide school districts for their charter school venture capital projects.

VanSandman posted:

What? I'm just saying that when it comes to flensing, piano wire is a good choice stylistically and practically.

You make me sick.

Everyone knows having a self-induced heart-attack with your back to an opened window is the most practical method.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 7, 2014

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I laughed.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Would you like a side of Clinton's commerce secretary to go?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 7, 2014

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

So I guess he just came back to Rolling Stone after the magazine he was going to do got ran into the ground? I'm okay with that, dude owns.

Although I thought it was interesting that Greenwald et al spilled the beans on the friction between Taibbi and management so readily. Also I'm personally not sure what to make of the allegations of him creating a gender-based hostile work environment. I cluld believe Taibbi being an rear end in a top hat to work with in general but him singling out women would be very uncool if true.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I bet Greenwald harasses women.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

VanSandman posted:

Snowden would know.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

VanSandman posted:

Yeah, but he probably harasses everyone.

On the Dark Enlightenment front, I think the worst thing you could do to them is to let them continue their sad, sad lives.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Yeah, but he probably harasses everyone.

On the Dark Enlightenment front, I think the worst thing you could do to them is to let them continue their sad, sad lives.

After I get a permanent impression of their nose on my fist, right?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Shear Modulus posted:

So I guess he just came back to Rolling Stone after the magazine he was going to do got ran into the ground? I'm okay with that, dude owns.

Although I thought it was interesting that Greenwald et al spilled the beans on the friction between Taibbi and management so readily. Also I'm personally not sure what to make of the allegations of him creating a gender-based hostile work environment. I cluld believe Taibbi being an rear end in a top hat to work with in general but him singling out women would be very uncool if true.

From a review of the Exile book:

quote:

It's not ironic--Ames and Taibbi explicitly scorn the bourgeois safety net of irony--and it's not just a rhetorical stance. "You're always trying to force Masha and Sveta under the table to give you blow jobs," complains their first business manager, an American woman, in chapter six, "The White God Factor." "It's not funny. They don't think it's funny." "But...it is funny," replies Taibbi. They take particular glee in trashing several former female staff members in print, taking multiple potshots at the aforementioned business manager's "gorilla rear end." They're equally nasty to her replacement, who quit in disgust after they went on a four-month "brain-sucking speed binge."

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/beast-in-the-east/Content?oid=902762

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Yep. It seems like a shitload of dudes get just a hint of power and suddenly they all turn into Mr. Molester.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I didn't know of that, but that was years ago. Maybe he changed?

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 7, 2014

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

VanSandman posted:

He's gay.

(He has a boyfriend and everything)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Man, I just calculated my age of death. The mean value I got was 80 years with a 25% chance to hit 92, but I am still terribly bummed now. Why did I think checking this would be a fun thing to do, it was an awful decision?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Umiapik posted:

He's gay.

(He has a boyfriend and everything)

his boyfriend is a solid 8 or 9, i don't know how glenn does it

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Badger of Basra posted:

i would guess by being very manipulative

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Maybe the dude's one of those sensitive types who are attracted to smarts and passion.

Also isn't he Brazillian or something? If the men there are anything like the women he might have just gotten bored of hot people.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

do you think theres glenn greenwald/anderson cooper fanfiction

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shear Modulus posted:

I don't event want to think about possible political fanfiction

Thats what TPM is for.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shear Modulus posted:

this just in: a load. we now take you over to glenn for more on this developing story.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Shear Modulus posted:

I sent my own original work to First Look but they refused to publish it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Umiapik posted:

He's gay.

All Men Are Bad AMAB

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

VanSandman posted:

Yep. It seems like a shitload of dudes get just a hint of power and suddenly they all turn into Mr. Molester.
I fully believe they were huge rear end in a top hat expats in Russia, but Taibbi has gotten married and calmed down a lot in the last 4-5 years. You can see it in his writing (disappointingly), so I'm not sure that drug-addled, cocksure, twenty-something Russian expat Matt Taibbi is the same guy as forty-something, had-his-teeth-fixed, has-a-career, just-got-married, Rolling Stone contributing editor Matt Taibbi. I'm also pretty sure Obama doesn't still choom with the choom gang and that George W. Bush no longer gets coked up before making hilarious paintings.

EDIT: ALso, if you haven't been following the story as it bounces between Taibbi, Carr, Greenwald, Pareene and friends, you should. It's an interesting window into Omidyar's venture and the article about Taibbi from Greenwald et al is as much about complaining about management as it is about Taibbi.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Nintendo Kid posted:

please remember that you are supposed to read names such as "mencius moldbug" as anything other than the name you'd give a lovely z movie villain, or possibly a forgettable subspecies of insect found in outhouses.

you are supposed to, somehow, read that name and take anything that man says seriously.

Mencius Moldbug sounds like the name you'd expect some low grade Death Eater from Harry Potter to have.

Like, the kind of guy whose arch nemesis is his own incompetence.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ernie Muppari posted:

Mencius Moldbug sounds like the name you'd expect some low grade Death Eater from Harry Potter to have.
I'd have guessed a character from Watchmen.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Shear Modulus posted:

*hand subtly vanishes below desk*

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Man, I just calculated my age of death. The mean value I got was 80 years with a 25% chance to hit 92, but I am still terribly bummed now. Why did I think checking this would be a fun thing to do, it was an awful decision?

Look at this way, now you know the age where you should probably just stop giving a gently caress and do whatever. Don't let anything stop you.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

ReindeerF posted:

I'd have guessed a character from Watchmen.

Naw, it's got that silly, whimsical, alliterative, latin-ish thing going on.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah it sounds like a dude who'd run a illegal bookshop in Knockturn Alley or something.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Look at this way, now you know the age where you should probably just stop giving a gently caress and do whatever. Don't let anything stop you.

hint it's whatever age you are now

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2014/11/a-promising-strategy-against-hiv/

my roommate did this and really hits home what a useless oval office i am. still though, cool.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
From the dissent in today's sixth circuit ruling against gay marriage:

quote:

The author of the majority opinion has drafted what would make an engrossing TED Talk or, possibly, an introductory lecture in Political Philosophy.

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImAlx0amAIc

• Locked thread