Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wheeee posted:

Truly we must be poors, bitter about our lot in life if we dare to criticize the demographic who purchase over-priced, poorly-engineered status symbols which impress nobody outside of the working class and tasteless nouveau riche.

A new BMW can be had for the same monthly payment as a Honda Accord, SUV or sedan, take your pick. M cars (Real ones mind you, not pleb models with an M package, which are becoming increasingly popular) remain somewhat exclusive but they are as representative of the lineup as a whole as the Corvette is of Chevy. Wealthy people don't drive a BMW, they drive whatever the gently caress they want. Sometimes that's a daily runabout BMW, sometimes it's a Honda, more often it's a Rolls or a Range Rover.

The market BMW (And Audi, and increasingly Mercedes Benz) does target is the petite-bourgeois. Old money isn't impressed by a 5-series and especially not a 3-series; those cars are in the same category as a Toyota: Cheap daily drivers. Rather, the brand whores snapping up BMWs on lease are the doctors who went to medical school for the social cachet, the McDonald's franchisees who fancy themselves captains of industry, and the perpetually image-obsessed salespersons.

BMW and Audi are the Tag Heuer and Breitling of the automotive world and if you don't get that reference you have no place speaking on the topic.

You don't really understand my point. You don't have to be rich to buy a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi, but if you're poor, you probably can't. Sperging about "those drat (insert $50-100k car here) owners are (insert disparaging remark here)" tends to come from those that can't afford the cars they really want to drive.

<- Drives a 2014 Ford Flex, 2013 Fiat 500, 2014 Ford F150, with a Polaris Slingshot on order. Nothing German, so you at least know I'm not an rear end in a top hat. I could afford a German barge, but neither my wife or I wan't one at this time. It's nice knowing the poors will judge when and if we ever do.

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My favorite Lowtax quote, circa 2002:
"On the internet, nobody could be sure if you're a dog, but they could easily tell if you're an rear end in a top hat"

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

eyebeem posted:

You don't really understand my point. You don't have to be rich to buy a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi, but if you're poor, you probably can't. Sperging about "those drat (insert $50-100k car here) owners are (insert disparaging remark here)" tends to come from those that can't afford the cars they really want to drive.

<- Drives a 2014 Ford Flex, 2013 Fiat 500, 2014 Ford F150, with a Polaris Slingshot on order. Nothing German, so you at least know I'm not an rear end in a top hat. I could afford a German barge, but neither my wife or I wan't one at this time. It's nice knowing the poors will judge when and if we ever do.

Take price out of it. It's not the actual money spent since that range covers morons that blow $60k on Escalades/Denalis/Navigators/Range Rovers/and Pickup trucks that never carry anything, it's the "perceived" money spent as in "that sumbitch thinks he's better than me! :argh: gonna show him and tailgate him and cut him off and make sure he sees my NOBAMA sticker!" attitude.

...that being said, I've notice a huge increase in the number of mid level dipshits in KIA Optimas/Hyundai Genesis/Equuuuuus that want to strut and race everyone. Those do seem like great value cars though so maybe they win this argument. CWAJGA?

I saw a new Colorado today, looked pretty good (thought it was a Tacoma at first).

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 2, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

eyebeem posted:

You don't really understand my point.

No, it's you who doesn't understand and can't read for poo poo.

Price has nothing to do with it, re-read what I've written if you "wan't".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

Soccer moms are bad at anything.

I would have said that.

quote:

Ummm.... actually it's the pepople who CAN afford them that go off the most at BMW, Merc or Audi drivers. It's not the poors at all and those cars are just glorified taxis even where they are built.

Yes I can afford them. But I sure as gently caress dont want one or drive one, that huge Boganmobile that I drive is in most ways quite a deal better. It's also mostly true you can put a BMW badge on a piece of poo poo and rich idiots would buy it.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I drive a Mercedes... a 1985 300d. It's my piece of poo poo beater that I bomb around gravel roads in to get to work. I also get to make snide comments about the 80's 1% and quality automobiles. I parked it next to a Panamera today, because fine German automobiles deserve to congregate when the opportunity arises.

I'm also one of those people that can afford a $50k car, but I won't because my cars are paid off and are perfectly reliable. If I were to drop that kind of money on a car, it wouldn't be a dentist's 5 series. It'd be a Dodge Charger / Challenger Scat Pack. gently caress aspirational purchases.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Wheeee posted:

No, it's you who doesn't understand and can't read for poo poo.

Price has nothing to do with it, re-read what I've written if you "wan't".

The fact that he keeps using "the poors" to describe anyone who hates assholes in poseur mobiles pretty much shows that he's a useless fuckwit that is just angry about having himself described in this thread.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Re: Cutting in line to be "first" at stoplights -

I sometimes do this but I justify it to myself because I like to really pull ahead from a stop. When the light turns green I do a quick left/right check to make sure the intersection is clear and then pull on up to cruising speed relatively quickly. I don't speed more than 5mph over the speed limit but I don't like to take my time getting up there. I look ahead enough that I don't feel like I have to really worry about brake wear.

I just don't understand how some drivers take a mile to reach 45mph. :psyduck:

It's me, I'm the bad driver. :v:

And not to contribute to the derail but lol to the guy who owns three cars and a toy explaining class relations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

I just don't understand how some drivers take a mile to reach 45mph.

Because opening up the throttle and going into open loop needlessly burns up fuel?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

Because opening up the throttle and going into open loop needlessly burns up fuel?
That is honestly why I do it. Going from 12mpg to 14mpg is a world of difference.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

Haven't there been studies that show you don't save any fuel by doing this? I try and get in front of people too because I don't like to idle up to the speed limit.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Previa_fun posted:

I sometimes do this but I justify it to myself because I like to really pull ahead from a stop. When the light turns green I do a quick left/right check to make sure the intersection is clear and then pull on up to cruising speed relatively quickly. I don't speed more than 5mph over the speed limit but I don't like to take my time getting up there. I look ahead enough that I don't feel like I have to really worry about brake wear.

I just don't understand how some drivers take a mile to reach 45mph. :psyduck:

In my Scirocco - all 90 horsepower - I accelerate as fast as it will let me EVERY TIME. Why? Because it's FUN!

In my Prius - the scangauge tells me that I'm getting 14mpg when I accelerate very fast to get up to speed. If I lay off it a bit I can accelerate and get around 35 or 40mpg, and once I'm up to speed around 55MPG-60MPG. The main screen in the cluster is in the "eco savings mode" and it's set up like a taxi meter - it asks you how much your fuel cost was when it detects the fuel level change, and then it tells you exactly how much each drive costs.
Sometimes I spend $0.75 to get home. Other times I spend $1.30 to get home. MY QUARTERS! :qq:

A lot of cars have an instant MPG readout now - when the car is telling you how much money your're dumping - your're gonna drive a bit slower.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

0toShifty posted:

In my Scirocco - all 90 horsepower - I accelerate as fast as it will let me EVERY TIME. Why? Because it's FUN!

In my Prius - the scangauge tells me that I'm getting 14mpg when I accelerate very fast to get up to speed. If I lay off it a bit I can accelerate and get around 35 or 40mpg, and once I'm up to speed around 55MPG-60MPG. The main screen in the cluster is in the "eco savings mode" and it's set up like a taxi meter - it asks you how much your fuel cost was when it detects the fuel level change, and then it tells you exactly how much each drive costs.
Sometimes I spend $0.75 to get home. Other times I spend $1.30 to get home. MY QUARTERS! :qq:

A lot of cars have an instant MPG readout now - when the car is telling you how much money your're dumping - your're gonna drive a bit slower.

The MPG meter is just a reverse fun meter.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

I bet you don't even have any stunting tickets from being first in line at a red light.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Previa_fun posted:

I sometimes do this but I justify it to myself
The fundamental attribution error at work.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Wheeee posted:

Volvo wishes it were that ubiquitous and reliable.

well, they were

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Didn't see this posted here yet, but Tom from Tom and Ray the Car talk guys passed away the other day.

http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/staff-blog/tom-magliozzi-1937-2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Throatwarbler posted:

Look at this kid who has a AT Mega powering his ECU.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

slidebite posted:

Didn't see this posted here yet, but Tom from Tom and Ray the Car talk guys passed away the other day.

http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/staff-blog/tom-magliozzi-1937-2014

It's been posted in nearly every thread in AI

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Does the Mitsubishi Evo X seem really expensive to anyone else? The 2014 model starts at $35k msrp. I guess I sort of understand - it's got a lot of special features that enthusiasts are willing to pay for - but I'm still surprised it's not starting somewhere in the mid/high 20k range.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eriddy posted:

Does the Mitsubishi Evo X seem really expensive to anyone else? The 2014 model starts at $35k msrp. I guess I sort of understand - it's got a lot of special features that enthusiasts are willing to pay for - but I'm still surprised it's not starting somewhere in the mid/high 20k range.

When the Evo X launched in 2007, the Mustang had 300hp, there was no Focus ST or similar, and expectations were much lower. The Evo X is just very old at this point, and was always expensive for what you get. It used to be much more powerful comparatively than it is now.

That said, I think that it's niche of a great AWD and a 300hp 4-cylinder still doesn't have any direct competitors other than the STI, which starts at a similar price.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

eriddy posted:

It's an STI competitor. The STI starts around $35k too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

eriddy posted:

Mitsubishi still makes cars?
Huh. How interesting.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ilkhan posted:

Huh. How interesting.

I know, it surprises me whenever I see an ad for their products on TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ilkhan posted:

Huh. How interesting.

This morning on the radio there was a local Mitsubishi dealership crowing about how they sold more cars than any other dealership in the country last month. I couldn't immediately help but think, "Oh, so you sold 5?"

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Their vehicles are too old to be competitive (or in the case of the Mirage just too lovely) but they seem to have found a niche with the electric Outlander where it is sold (which is at least unique on the market)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bull3964 posted:

This morning on the radio there was a local Mitsubishi dealership crowing about how they sold more cars than any other dealership in the country last month. I couldn't immediately help but think, "Oh, so you sold 5?"

The mitsubishi dealership here has super expensive highway frontage.

They line the front of their lot fence to fence with used pickups. They're basically a used pickup dealership that also sells 1 new mitsubishi every month.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

The mitsubishi dealership here has super expensive highway frontage.

They line the front of their lot fence to fence with used pickups. They're basically a used pickup dealership that also sells 1 new mitsubishi every month.

The one by us has a set of weird gold cart dune buggy looking things out front, and I'm pretty sure those aren't road legal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

dissss posted:

Their vehicles are too old to be competitive (or in the case of the Mirage just too lovely) but they seem to have found a niche with the electric Outlander where it is sold (which is at least unique on the market)

The Outlander Sport/RVR are all over the place up here. I am totally puzzled why. My mother bought one and loves it, but holy christ is it gutless. I mean, it's OK I guess but totally mediocre at everything from what I have seen.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I see a lot of the new Outlanders around. They're cheap to buy I guess

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Exactly what does Mitsubishi sell, these days, aside from the Evo, Outlander, Mirage and that other piece of poo poo microcar? Letting the Galant wither and die was pretty much an admission of defeat in of itself.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

This is my market:

Thankfully the L300 is finally on its way out - its amazing such a death trap was available for so long

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

dissss posted:

This is my market:

Thankfully the L300 is finally on its way out - its amazing such a death trap was available for so long

For 30 grand? What the gently caress did it even do to be a base price of that? That seems insane,

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KakerMix posted:

For 30 grand? What the gently caress did it even do to be a base price of that? That seems insane,

Cars in general are expensive here and Mitsubishi is notorious for listing bullshit prices and discounting for everyone (I'd say mid-20s is more realistic)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

KakerMix posted:

dissss lives in Myanmar.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

This is my market:

hahahahaaha this is hilarious. It's like "modern modern modern modern modern modern modern EIGHTIES!" I mean it's like if Dodge had their current lineup and then also offered a Dodge Omni for the same price as the Dart.

*modern in the Mitsubishi sense

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Everyday Lurker posted:

Exactly what does Mitsubishi sell, these days, aside from the Evo, Outlander, Mirage and that other piece of poo poo microcar? Letting the Galant wither and die was pretty much an admission of defeat in of itself.

The Galant wasn't a bad car. A friend of mine has a last-gen model and it's a good-enough mid-size car. It has a little more room inside than my Mazda6 did, but the build isn't as nice and I don't think it's as pretty. They just never had much of a marketing campaign in the US.

This is their current US offering:

The 7-passenger Outlander is about $5-6k cheaper than most of its competition. The closest competitor (price-wise) is the Kia Sorrento, which is around $26,500 for the 7-pass variant..and I don't think it's as big.

Their warranty is pretty good too. I don't think they're a bad brand, but I wouldn't buy one now just because I don't have confidence in the company's financial stability.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Mitsubishi got hit really hard by the Japanese financial crisis due to how their debts and financing arm were structured plus more recently they made the really questionable decision to have a single platform for both large and small cars meaning they were using the same platform for the Galant, Lancer, and Eclipse which from what I hear didn't work out well in terms of weight and performance or even ultimately cost savings.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wasn't there also some huge scandal with their top brass in Japan a couple years ago, that largely soured the Japanese population on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Midniter posted:

Wasn't there also some huge scandal with their top brass in Japan a couple years ago, that largely soured the Japanese population on them?

Not sure, but in terms of huge scandals there was one in like 2005 or so where they got in trouble for covering up a ton of defects in safety-critical stuff like brakes and fuel systems.