Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

krushgroove posted:

Cool! I'll be there well after your lunch I'm sure, I'll be wearing a dark grey suit and look completely out of place amongst the warhams :v:

Was good to meet you in person man! Good luck with your efforts! :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Mango Polo posted:

Had no idea this channel existed, it's actually pretty neat. It feels like everyone switched to only doing airbrush tutorials, so this is quite nice.

I agree. As someone who only does brush painting it is always tough when I am trying to find a tutorial on how to do something and everyone just breaks out the airbrush. That being said, ask he about how much I dislike painting my Stormraven with Chapterhouse extension kit.(probably the only good thing that Chapterhouse has ever made)

I really do need to get my airbrush and compressor that I bought and never used up and running at some point though. My problem is that I have no place to airbrush as I live in an apartment and don't have a dedicated hobby desk yet.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mango Polo posted:

Had no idea this channel existed, it's actually pretty neat. It feels like everyone switched to only doing airbrush tutorials, so this is quite nice.

Yeah, it's definitely aimed at the 'tabletop' standard army, but it's still worth watching because there's usually something to learn, even if it is only a new corner to cut. What I'd really like to see is them produce more advanced technical Eavy Metal videos. I'd certainly pay for something like the current How To Paint... book/DVD if it taught me how to do feathering etc with professional production values.

jadebullet posted:

I agree. As someone who only does brush painting it is always tough when I am trying to find a tutorial on how to do something and everyone just breaks out the airbrush. That being said, ask he about how much I dislike painting my Stormraven with Chapterhouse extension kit.(probably the only good thing that Chapterhouse has ever made)

I really do need to get my airbrush and compressor that I bought and never used up and running at some point though. My problem is that I have no place to airbrush as I live in an apartment and don't have a dedicated hobby desk yet.

You can get portable fold down spray booths for ~£100. Not the most powerful thing in the world, but it'll do in a pinch. Either stick the hose out the window or into a tub will with old towels. Put down a plastic dust sheet and away you go.

Ghost Hand posted:

On a scale of mild to brass monkey, how was the temperature in the gaming hall today? I'm guessing "brr". And more importantly, did you have the Bugman's all-day breakfast?

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 7, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Does anybody know of a kit with right-handed storm shields, preferably with 'generic' iconography?

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Favorite model. I imagine this is milliseconds before getting pasted by a big rear end shell.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Favourite = Shokk Attack Gun

A device that teleports tiny little guys inside your enemies armoured suits via a hellish parallel dimension; a deminsion so hellish that makes it so that the little guys are crazed and insane when the arrive within the armour/body of a dude.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ghost Hand posted:

I have like 5 or 6 of the old metal models if anyone wants to buy them. I prefer the newer ones.

If I bought models from you I would feel guilty converting them!

jadebullet posted:

I live in a small urban apartment with roommates and use my computer desk as a makeshift workbench. As long as you have a respirator, fan, and open window it’s not really a problem. The worst is when I use oils and I have to wait a few hours for the smell to dissipate. I just go hang out in the city in the meantime.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is an ironclad dreadnought worth getting? The appeal of ripping into armor with a chainfist is attractive to me.

Or would I be better off just getting a thunderfire cannon?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What exactly do you do about Spartan spam in 30k? They're pricey as all get-out but quite frankly a vehicle that never gets penned on better than a 5+ dropping 10 Terminators in your face is worth the cost and it's not like they're lacking firepower.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Is an ironclad dreadnought worth getting? The appeal of ripping into armor with a chainfist is attractive to me.

Or would I be better off just getting a thunderfire cannon?

depends on who you ply against and your definition of "worth".

If you're talking competetive bang for your buck the TFC wins. But if you just want something decent that you think is badass then get the dread.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Why do Space Marine sniper rifles have these big thick cables coming out of them? Don't they shoot bullets or needles or something?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
They used needlers in an older version of the books but not anymore. Nowadays it's a solid projectile weapon. I can't find anything substantial to back this up but I'd theorize that it's probably a very low caliber rail gun and the cables are its power feed.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Lord Twisted posted:

Just out of interest goons:

What is your favourite unit in 40k, for whatever reason (style, performance on the tabletop, fluff, etc?)

RIP

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Post yours I love that one!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Alright, thanks!

I'm probably going to remake it with better materials eventually. Just for funsies, due to:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh right. He's my new assassin model when I'm playing guard.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Best model in the game how about the entire 2nd edition line of Lootas, Burnas, Grot Orderlies, Pulsa Rokkit etc... etc..Warhammer 2nd Edition was the high point for orks and it will never be surpassed.No Pulsa rokkits :(

Favourite Model?/ Unit Still my Favourite 2nd Edition Hive Tyrant.

Can't find a good pic :(

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 7, 2014

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Shard of a dead god made of fire, blood and fighting.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Best model in the game how about the entire 2nd edition line of Lootas, Burnas, Grot Orderlies, Pulsa Rokkit etc... etc..Warhammer 2nd Edition was the high point for orks and it will never be surpassed.No Pulsa rokkits :(

Favourite Model?/ Unit Still my Favourite 2nd Edition Hive Tyrant.

Can't find a good pic :(

Man I'd love pulsa rokkits to come back. And cyboars... Remember muthafuckin cyboars.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Sulecrist posted:

Why do Space Marine sniper rifles have these big thick cables coming out of them? Don't they shoot bullets or needles or something?

In the old fluff, sniper rifles worked by using a high-power laser to punch a hole through armor a split-second before the poisoned dart fired by the rifle hit the target. How does that work? gently caress if I know but that's what was written!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

40K fluff question:

The Fall of the Eldar seems to have settled in the 10-20,000 years ago range, coinciding with the Age of Strife that ended the Dark Age of Technology. Humanity doesn't know poo poo about the Age of Technology any more. Why don't they just ask the Eldar about it? Going by the timeline they've established Humanity's golden age and the height of Eldar power should coincide. The two diminished civilizations certainly cross paths in the Age of the Imperium so there's no reason to think they wouldn't have had contact with each other 20,000 years ago.

The fluff books present the Imperium as knowing virtually nothing about human history pre-Great Crusade but having an accurate picture of the broad strokes of Eldar history, at least locked up in the archives of various imperial organizations. Did they just never think to ask?

Is this a big hole or is there some timeline I'm getting wrong? I always thought it was kinda dumb to link the Fall of the Eldar with the Age of Strife, it makes the setting smaller every time they do something like that. Especially with the Fall only 20,000 years ago the "ancient" Eldar are operating on a timescale similar to Humanity's.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Arglebargle III posted:

Why don't they just ask the Eldar about it?

"gently caress the Eldar, shifty bastards"

"gently caress the humans, inferior beasts"

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Arglebargle III posted:

40K fluff question:

The Fall of the Eldar seems to have settled in the 10-20,000 years ago range, coinciding with the Age of Strife that ended the Dark Age of Technology. Humanity doesn't know poo poo about the Age of Technology any more. Why don't they just ask the Eldar about it? Going by the timeline they've established Humanity's golden age and the height of Eldar power should coincide. The two diminished civilizations certainly cross paths in the Age of the Imperium so there's no reason to think they wouldn't have had contact with each other 20,000 years ago.

The fluff books present the Imperium as knowing virtually nothing about human history pre-Great Crusade but having an accurate picture of the broad strokes of Eldar history, at least locked up in the archives of various imperial organizations. Did they just never think to ask?

Is this a big hole or is there some timeline I'm getting wrong? I always thought it was kinda dumb to link the Fall of the Eldar with the Age of Strife, it makes the setting smaller every time they do something like that. Especially with the Fall only 20,000 years ago the "ancient" Eldar are operating on a timescale similar to Humanity's.

I'm not entirely sure (also not sure about your timeline - i thought the whole way that Humanity started the Imperium was the Fall clearing the warp storms around Terra?) but this is the Imperium - they have enforced intentional ignorance on a lot of things, technology included. I'd be willing to bet there are tons of people who are aware of earlier human history but they have no interest in spreading that knowledge/actively suppress it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Right I think the end of the Fall was what cleared up the warp storms, and that the Fall itself was what was causing them. That puts the Fall somewhere between 20,000 and 10,000 years ago. I really have not seen any fluff about the Dark Age of Technology beyond the golden men/iron men thing which is clearly from greek mythology anyway and presented as wild supposition.

NTRabbit posted:

"gently caress the Eldar, shifty bastards"

"gently caress the humans, inferior beasts"

That may be the puritanical position on both sides they've shared information on Chaos and the Tyranids in the past, and at the fringes of the Imperium in Wilderness Space there's a lot more contact with xenos than the Imperial establishment would like to admit. Eldar Outcasts and their human counterparts (Rogue Traders, Free Captains, lesser smugglers, colonists, traitors heretics renegades etcetera) come into contact fairly often and it's not always hostile. The Imperial Navy has even worked with the Eldar during the Gothic War at least. If an Inquisitor has been into the Black Library and the Imperial Navy can suffer the xenos to live then surely less formal contact exists.

Then there's the fact that the Eldar are unlikely to give a poo poo about this information. Even a trinket from the Dark Age is priceless to humans and not worth much to the Eldar, and the Eldar presumably have some ideas of where to find Dark Age human artifacts, so you would expect that these would be hot items for Eldar Corsairs or outcasts who need a favor or three. I mean even like "hey I found a 28th millenium hard drive or whatever, by the way I want a million slaves" would sound like a pretty good deal to just about anybody willing to listen.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Eldar 10,000 years ago would have not given a poo poo about Humankind or even when the age of Technology was in bloom, the Eldar had already surpassed humanity. '

They just wouldn't have given a poo poo about human tech at all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's a difference between not caring and not noticing. It doesn't even make a lot of sense to say that the Eldar were so ~~masterful~~ of the Galaxy that they were ignorant of its largest (maybe 2nd largest) sapient population.

And this is was back in a time when there are more humans running around the galaxy than now, and lots more Eldar hanging around. They can't possibly have been unaware of each other, especially if their modern relationship is any guide. If the Imperium regularly treads on Eldar toes now imagine how a more crowded galaxy would have been. No matter how much of a DGAF attitude the Eldar may have had the Dark age humans must have blundered into them many times.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Arglebargle III posted:

That may be the puritanical position on both sides they've shared information on Chaos and the Tyranids in the past, and at the fringes of the Imperium in Wilderness Space there's a lot more contact with xenos than the Imperial establishment would like to admit. Eldar Outcasts and their human counterparts (Rogue Traders, Free Captains, lesser smugglers, colonists, traitors heretics renegades etcetera) come into contact fairly often and it's not always hostile. The Imperial Navy has even worked with the Eldar during the Gothic War at least. If an Inquisitor has been into the Black Library and the Imperial Navy can suffer the xenos to live then surely less formal contact exists.

Then there's the fact that the Eldar are unlikely to give a poo poo about this information. Even a trinket from the Dark Age is priceless to humans and not worth much to the Eldar, and the Eldar presumably have some ideas of where to find Dark Age human artifacts, so you would expect that these would be hot items for Eldar Corsairs or outcasts who need a favor or three. I mean even like "hey I found a 28th millenium hard drive or whatever, by the way I want a million slaves" would sound like a pretty good deal to just about anybody willing to listen.

You assume that the Imperium of 40k (or 30k for that matter) would have any interest in listening to ~alien lies~. There's a novel that I haven't read, but from what I understand they actually find an old computer system from the pre-Imperial era--the equivalent of the hard drive from your hypothetical--and it naturally calls them out on how full of poo poo and degraded human knowledge has become, so naturally they consider it to be lying and destroy it or something. That was just a computer. Imagine how seriously they take the xeno giving them something that tells them to change their whole civilization because that's the way it used to be, cross my heart and hope to die.

I think the novel is Death of Integrity; feel free to correct me on the details if I'm wrong, but the point is that anything that could challenge their orthodoxy would probably be ignored. Alternative/mutually compatible explanation: the more radical Inquisitors or whoever do acquire such information, and realize that there's literally no way they can actually promulgate it in any substantial fashion without ending up on next Sunday's pyre. Maybe they've integrated parts of it so subtly that nobody (including we the readers!) actually know they did because it's just been part of the facts of the setting all along; it's easy to imagine a few 'rediscovered' STCs coming through that vector. Information on how to make a better gun or tank is probably something they're willing to adapt. But anything substantially threatening to Imperial ideology (and let's face it, the bar for 'threatening to Imperial ideology' is pretty goddamn low) was/is probably stillborn.

By comparison, they'd trust Eldar intel on Chaos, Tyranids or whatever a lot more easily because those are facts of the present universe that can be verified and for which the Inquisition, Chapter Masters, etc. are smart enough to clearly see Eldar as a sincere enemy-of-an-enemy.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

There's a difference between not caring and not noticing. It doesn't even make a lot of sense to say that the Eldar were so ~~masterful~~ of the Galaxy that they were ignorant of its largest (maybe 2nd largest) sapient population.

And this is was back in a time when there are more humans running around the galaxy than now, and lots more Eldar hanging around. They can't possibly have been unaware of each other, especially if their modern relationship is any guide. If the Imperium regularly treads on Eldar toes now imagine how a more crowded galaxy would have been. No matter how much of a DGAF attitude the Eldar may have had the Dark age humans must have blundered into them many times.

One of our worlds largest populations is mosquitos. Do you think we give much gently caress about documenting mosquito culture and technology.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
For context: Lady Malys is sitting on a STC that could kill Nurgle because she thinks it's funnier to watch humans suffer.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Lord Twisted posted:

Just out of interest goons:

What is your favourite unit in 40k, for whatever reason (style, performance on the tabletop, fluff, etc?)

My favorite unit in 40k...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Goddamn those beers look good.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

What exactly do you do about Spartan spam in 30k? They're pricey as all get-out but quite frankly a vehicle that never gets penned on better than a 5+ dropping 10 Terminators in your face is worth the cost and it's not like they're lacking firepower.

Thanks to FWs legendary editing skills, the quad mortars are now... the cats miau. 4 shots, strength 8, and armorbane. Two of those cost ~150 points and will glance a spartan about 3 times a turn (but not if they have a flare shield :( ). Your other option is the lightning. Not as reliable, costs a bit more, but 4 kraken missiles will toast almost anything armored in the game. Other options include laser destroyers, medusas (remember, artillery hits the side armor, so no flare shield), or graviton weapons.

Don't leave home without some way of dealing with one though, and a clown party (AV14 transport spam) is a huge PITA unless you spammed AV in anticipation.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 7, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite unit? *points to crotch*

Right now it's biovores. Great barrage unit that you don't mind missing with. Cheap for what you get, and they finally look good!

If plastic zoanthropes come out (like they are rumored too) they will be my second choice.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ghost Hand posted:

Likewise! I hope you won (by which I mean everyone had fun!) and Lorgar did you proud. Hopefully I hear something back in the next couple of weeks...

My favorite unit? Probably going to have to be Dark Eldar Scourges. The models are fantastic and with the new codex out they properly worry the rest of the guys in my 40K group. They're not the toughest but they are the prettiest!

(not my pictures, I have 10 waiting to be painted)

e: No idea where this is from, but this was posted in the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook group:

Would love to see more bigger/detailed pics!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 7, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cataphract posted:

One of our worlds largest populations is mosquitos. Do you think we give much gently caress about documenting mosquito culture and technology.

If you asked any random human "where do mosquitos live?" they would give you a pretty good idea. Your analogy isn't great, we encounter mosquitos all the time. If mosquitos were able to trade us valuable resources in exchange for answering questions like "where did we live a while back? we forgot because we're tiny idiots" then we would probably take advantage of that.

JerryLee posted:

You assume that the Imperium of 40k (or 30k for that matter) would have any interest in listening to ~alien lies~. There's a novel that I haven't read, but from what I understand they actually find an old computer system from the pre-Imperial era--the equivalent of the hard drive from your hypothetical--and it naturally calls them out on how full of poo poo and degraded human knowledge has become, so naturally they consider it to be lying and destroy it or something. That was just a computer. Imagine how seriously they take the xeno giving them something that tells them to change their whole civilization because that's the way it used to be, cross my heart and hope to die.

I think the novel is Death of Integrity; feel free to correct me on the details if I'm wrong, but the point is that anything that could challenge their orthodoxy would probably be ignored. Alternative/mutually compatible explanation: the more radical Inquisitors or whoever do acquire such information, and realize that there's literally no way they can actually promulgate it in any substantial fashion without ending up on next Sunday's pyre. Maybe they've integrated parts of it so subtly that nobody (including we the readers!) actually know they did because it's just been part of the facts of the setting all along; it's easy to imagine a few 'rediscovered' STCs coming through that vector. Information on how to make a better gun or tank is probably something they're willing to adapt. But anything substantially threatening to Imperial ideology (and let's face it, the bar for 'threatening to Imperial ideology' is pretty goddamn low) was/is probably stillborn.

By comparison, they'd trust Eldar intel on Chaos, Tyranids or whatever a lot more easily because those are facts of the present universe that can be verified and for which the Inquisition, Chapter Masters, etc. are smart enough to clearly see Eldar as a sincere enemy-of-an-enemy.

Fair enough, I just think you're underestimating the extent to which "a new gun or tank" is worth a fortune large enough to be effectively infinite to an individual human. A new gun or tank could build a dynasty. People would be willing to overlook minor scruples like dealing with xenos for a new gun or tank enough money to buy 500 years of life as a fabulously wealthy man. I could see how cultural knowledge might be suppressed or self-censored. Even the fabulously wealthy can commit crimes heinous enough to bring them down.

I'm surprised everyone is coming down against this idea. I mean, I imagine one answer could be that the Eldar do know where to find Dark Age human technology but have no intention of handing over its location. You don't need a Farseer to tell you that a resurgent Imperium might not be the greatest thing for the Eldar in the long run.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Arglebargle III posted:

Fair enough, I just think you're underestimating the extent to which "a new gun or tank" is worth a fortune large enough to be effectively infinite to an individual human. A new gun or tank could build a dynasty. People would be willing to overlook minor scruples like dealing with xenos for a new gun or tank enough money to buy 500 years of life as a fabulously wealthy man. I could see how cultural knowledge might be suppressed or self-censored. Even the fabulously wealthy can commit crimes heinous enough to bring them down.

Well, exactly. I think I didn't make myself understood if it sounded like I was disagreeing with this point; I think if they find out where to get a new gun or tank (or knife or whatever) from an alien trader, they'll do it, unless it's something like Iron Men or whatever. The point is that we already know where all that's happening--it's already in the setting as one of the potential ways that new STCs come out! It sounded like you were posing the question of why they don't look into humanity's past golden ages more generally, and the ideological/cultural barrier is the answer there.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

krushgroove posted:

e: No idea where this is from, but this was posted in the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook group:

Would love to see more bigger/detailed pics!

This was actually built in a GW store in California - I THINK by a guy you may have heard of who goes by Big Jim (used to be a co-host on Deep Strike Radio), while he worked for GW. My understanding is that they didn't find it particularly funny (GW) and it ultimately ended up being destroyed or something when the shop closed down.

:(

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ghost Hand posted:

This was actually built in a GW store in California - I THINK by a guy you may have heard of who goes by Big Jim (used to be a co-host on Deep Strike Radio), while he worked for GW. My understanding is that they didn't find it particularly funny (GW) and it ultimately ended up being destroyed or something when the shop closed down.

:(

Corporates are such humourless bastards.

Apparently even that had to be pulled because someone got snippy.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah, that's a shame - but I suppose the staffer skellington literally shackled to the gaming table wouldn't have gone over very well, and the destroyed GW shop in front of models of a different game wouldn't have either. It would be cool to see a destroyed city table like from Dropzone Commander (10mm scale) with a GW shop inside a mini-mall though, complete with tiny people inside around tiny tables! That would probably be more accepted.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Noise Marines are my favourite 40K unit. They are just the epitome of everything 40K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

krushgroove posted:

Ah, that's a shame - but I suppose the staffer skellington literally shackled to the gaming table wouldn't have gone over very well, and the destroyed GW shop in front of models of a different game wouldn't have either. It would be cool to see a destroyed city table like from Dropzone Commander (10mm scale) with a GW shop inside a mini-mall though, complete with tiny people inside around tiny tables! That would probably be more accepted.

GW didn't even make the second one though, that was made by the guy who did the photos for the Mars Attacks project, pictures still got pulled part way through after I assume someone had a word.

• Locked thread