Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone here refresh my memory? What is the word for sampling something with a microphone? It's a male name like Thomas or Murphy or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I just got a Doepfer A-192-2 MIDI/USB interface so that's taking care of my immediate MIDI sequencing needs. I'm really keen on the Expert Sleepers stuff though so I'll be curious about how you like it.

I actually started with the Doepfer for a week or so but I felt a bit limited by it. The ES, to me, has a steep learning curve but the envelopes and LFOs really sold it for me. I'm mainly using Ableton to sequence so I think it will play much nicer. I haven't cracked open much else of Silent Way yet, but it seems hugely powerful with some tinkering.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

sliderule posted:

Can someone here refresh my memory? What is the word for sampling something with a microphone? It's a male name like Thomas or Murphy or something.

Foley?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Mike Foley

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A Winner is Jew posted:

$200 or less options would be the volca beats (horrible snare), volca sample (have to have an ios device), and rhythm wolf (bass synth is not tuned).

If you want to spend $500 there is the TR-8.

Aight, thanks for the suggestions :v:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sizone posted:

Mike Foley

I guess my brain made the Dave Foley connection. Thanks!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The TR-8 is amazing and does all my drums. I just stare at the thing running through 32 step patterns. It also has built in sidechain compression and a great FX engine

I'll sell somebody my Volca Beats/Keys if they want it.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

I'm going through Christmas music, just taking notes on motifs and elements, and found this synthy gem to share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPm6CheT6rs

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A MIRACLE posted:

The TR-8 is amazing and does all my drums. I just stare at the thing running through 32 step patterns. It also has built in sidechain compression and a great FX engine

I'll sell somebody my Volca Beats/Keys if they want it.

How much for those beats?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

OFFICIAL SYNTHGOON XMAS TOP SECRET ALBUM PROJECT POST

It's probably a good idea to jot down some more details/hand out more info on what I have in mind for the synth album project. If I missed anything please post about it and I'll add it to this thread!

4) Who are the studs/studdettes participating in this awesome thing?

From looking over the thread I see the following goons are interested in submitting a track:

CAT rear end now!!!

Yeah, definitely still in on this! My track's either 100% or 90% finished, not sure if I want to do something more with the end bit or just let it be. I think I'll post it for you guys to check out and maybe you'll have some suggestions?

quote:

6) So we're raising money with this thing?

Yeah as much as people might theoretically contribute towards an album of goony synth music posted on Bandcamp. My plan is to have the completed product up on Bandcamp a week or so before Christmas (if possible) and then to promote it on the forums somewhere. I might even chip in to buy a banner ad for the month of January if people think that's a good idea. The proceeds will go to a charity of our choice, please submit some ideas for charities on the thread. We can all vote on one (maybe two) charities to send the money to. I think Doctors Without Borders would be a good cause this season but I'd also like to have the money go towards some kind of youth music program or funding for arts/music programs in school. Please submit some ideas!

I know lots of people have been coming up with/sketching out ideas for their track so keep up the good work everyone!

Scatterfold posted:

I really like the idea of this being for charity, and it's good that it's going to something non-political. One thought though (and this isn't based on any experience fundraising, it's just something to think about):

A christmas album will have a limited-time appeal. People are prob going to stop buying it in January. However it might get a lot of attention/purchases real fast. A non-Christmas album would work outside of the festive period and could raise money over a longer period of time... but the total value might be less.

Anybody have any thoughts/experience with that?

I agree a charity that has to do with kids would be the most fitting. And preferably something to do with school/youth projects, definitely. Maybe that could be something goons could vote on in the thread we'll eventually make?

I thought this was going to be the thematically non-Christmas album (just a wintery one), but released around Christmas time anyway?

I think it might make sense to set a definite limit for when you can buy the thing. When there's a set time when the album'll be taken off the internet, it'll be easier to control the money flow and also be more transparent. After the time is up, money stops coming in and we can donate one big lump sum. Then we can post proof that the money was indeed donated.

edit: It'd also be easier for Dotcom Jillionaire / whoever would handle that bit.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 10, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here's my track.

Desert M - Lunta (it's private so shh don't share it <:mad:>)

"Lunta" is the word for "snow" in Finnish. Or more precisely, it's the word "lumi" ("snow") in the partitive case, which is technically "some snow" and and ANYWAY this won't interest anyone else than Wafflehound

If y'all have suggestions or other critiques/comments I'd love to hear them. I've been listening to this one track so much that I don't have a very objective view of it anymore, I'm afraid.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 10, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Here's my track.

"Lunta" is the word for "snow" in Finnish. Or more precisely, it's the word "lumi" ("snow") in the partitive case, which is technically "some snow" and and ANYWAY this won't interest anyone else than Wafflehound

If y'all have suggestions or other critiques/comments I'd love to hear them. I've been listening to this one track so much that I don't have a very objective view of it anymore, I'm afraid.

drat, that's nice. Reminds me of the Donkey Kong Country soundtracks. 10/10 would use for Snow Land.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Your Computer posted:

drat, that's nice. Reminds me of the Donkey Kong Country soundtracks. 10/10 would use for Snow Land.

Thanks! P. cool that it reminds you of a Nintendo series, I was thinking about Metroid when making it. Huge fan of the music in the Prime games here.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

I think it might make sense to set a definite limit for when you can buy the thing. When there's a set time when the album'll be taken off the internet, it'll be easier to control the money flow and also be more transparent. After the time is up, money stops coming in and we can donate one big lump sum. Then we can post proof that the money was indeed donated.

edit: It'd also be easier for Dotcom Jillionaire / whoever would handle that bit.

Yeah I'm hoping to post the album in the beginning of December. At first I thought maybe keeping it up till New Years and then closing down the donations would be a good idea. Now I'm thinking we keep it up until the middle/end of January so as to give people more time to stumble on the album and make a contribution. One lump sum of a donation is the idea though!

PS: https://wintersynth.bandcamp.com/ (not much to see yet but we have a page)

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 10, 2014

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

sounds good to me; have been working on track/s and will definitely have at least one ( if not two ) things for you by december 1st

waneb
Oct 11, 2008
I finished my Shruthi-1 build this weekend, holy poo poo this thing is fun. Now I'm looking for another DIY kit. Can anyone recommend something to build next? I'm also interested in pedal kits. A video synth would be fun too, but I don't see many options for those.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I can't tell whether this is a very late April Fool's joke or not, but Synthtopia just posted a story about a $5,000 music production workstation, which is basically a PC with a 10" screen mounted onto a desk that has a few $100 third party MIDI controllers built into it.

Even more troubling is the potentially NSFW "Express Yourself" gallery with pics of the workstation just randomly placed in-frame.

Gearslutz and Synthtopia commenters are, of course, making GBS threads bricks.

P.S. Just got an idea for the Christmas thing this morning. Will see if I can get it done this week.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

How much for those beats?

I was hoping to sell them together, $200 shipped

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

"thousands of crystals"

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Radiapathy posted:

I can't tell whether this is a very late April Fool's joke or not, but Synthtopia just posted a story about a $5,000 music production workstation, which is basically a PC with a 10" screen mounted onto a desk that has a few $100 third party MIDI controllers built into it.

Replace your laptop&controller with a tiny monitor, some of the cheapest Akai and a huge loving box for 5k? Great idea.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
What stand should i get if I want a multi-tier setup? Most of the X/Z-type keyboard stands (like this one) look like you wouldn't be able to have, say, two smaller synths (or a small synth and a drum machine) on one level and a large keyboard controller on another. Or are they more modular than they look? this looks more like what i want (especially if I can add additional supports) but i'm not sure if i have room for it.

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 10, 2014

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

What stand should i get if I want a multi-tier setup? Most of the X-type keyboard stands (like this one) look like you wouldn't be able to have, say, two smaller synths (or a small synth and a drum machine) on one level and a large keyboard controller on another. Or are they more modular than they look? this looks more like what i want (especially if I can add additional supports) but i'm not sure if i have room for it.

I have this exact stand. For my second tier I just cut a piece of plywood to dimensions. Paint it if you want. Or don't. Works great.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
the first one I linked or the second one?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

the first one I linked or the second one?

sorry, the first one

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
cool, thanks, dunno why i didn't think of just putting a board on there

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Electribe is out in glorious nippon. Some dude's demo, he's also got unboxing and ableton export vids. I hope the four voice polyphony he showed can be overcome, like dedicating voices to a particular part in a menu or something.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
A little winter synthy modular patch I did today

https://soundcloud.com/portervance/icicle-shimmer

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Startyde posted:

Electribe is out in glorious nippon. Some dude's demo, he's also got unboxing and ableton export vids. I hope the four voice polyphony he showed can be overcome, like dedicating voices to a particular part in a menu or something.

Well it says in the fine print on the spec sheet that it's pseudo polyphony and that filters and other elements can take up voices. I don't see why you couldn't add a second part with the same voice, it would just take up more of your maximum voices.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

A MIRACLE posted:

I have this exact stand. For my second tier I just cut a piece of plywood to dimensions. Paint it if you want. Or don't. Works great.

I've got the first one linked and I need to do that. What I'd really like to do, though, is find... gently caress I dunno what they're called, but the old style terminal supports that straight clamp on to things. Kinda like these, but swivelly and sturdier

http://www.agiprodj.com/odyssey-lstand.html?gclid=CPmr-bqq8cECFYGTfgodlSoAHQ

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Here's my track.

Is pretty good. What gear you use?

Only thing it really needs is some barely audible dirty noise in the background to make it sound meaner and bigger than it actually is. And maybe a unique, really pretty lead to go over the outro.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

Is pretty good. What gear you use?

None at all. NanoStudio on an iPad :unsmigghh:

quote:

Only thing it really needs is some barely audible dirty noise in the background to make it sound meaner and bigger than it actually is. And maybe a unique, really pretty lead to go over the outro.

The noise thing sounds like an interesting idea but I'm not sure how I'd do that.

And yeah, I wasn't sure what to do with the end. I was thinking adding a lead or something could work.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

The noise thing sounds like an interesting idea but I'm not sure how I'd do that.

Go to freesounds.org or somewhere similar (NASA sound archives on internetarchive or soundcloud). Get some interesting background noises. Make them more interesting using distortion and delay and stuff. You can do this on your 'puter or, according to the nanostudio site, in nanostudio.
Trim out a most interesting loop of a few bars long from your now most interesting sample. Have nanostudio retrigger it every time it stops playing. Mix it so that it's super way low in the mix.

This is a good example of kind of, but not quite, what I'm talking about. Listen, the loop that starts off the beginning of the song never goes away. You can't really hear it except during the breaks, but it's there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ECAplzR8E

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I've been screwing around with creating midi controllers and devices with an arduino. I just threw together a dirt simple clock source to synchronize multiple devices, complete with a knob to adjust the tempo -- midi is a really, really simple protocol.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm looking for a small simple sample player to play audio clips and that sort of thing over my synths. Right now it looks like the Akai MPX8 is my best bet but I'm wondering if anyone has other similar recommendations I may have missed. I don't have an iPad which would have avoided this entirely so no apps please.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Radiapathy posted:

Of course this is done by the same guy who did Open Labs (according the the Synthtopia thread). I sometimes see Nekos on CL with jaw dropping prices, so this is nothing new. Including an LPD8 is a bold move though, a real "gently caress you" to buyers.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

net work error posted:

I'm looking for a small simple sample player to play audio clips and that sort of thing over my synths. Right now it looks like the Akai MPX8 is my best bet but I'm wondering if anyone has other similar recommendations I may have missed. I don't have an iPad which would have avoided this entirely so no apps please.

Do you have a smartphone? I'm sure you can find something like that whatever your OS is.

One alternative I can think of would be an Alesis Samplepad. Not very small per se, but they are pretty affordable and you could do other stuff with one as well. Been thinking about getting one for live stuff.

Sizone posted:

Go to freesounds.org or somewhere similar (NASA sound archives on internetarchive or soundcloud). Get some interesting background noises. Make them more interesting using distortion and delay and stuff. You can do this on your 'puter or, according to the nanostudio site, in nanostudio.
Trim out a most interesting loop of a few bars long from your now most interesting sample. Have nanostudio retrigger it every time it stops playing. Mix it so that it's super way low in the mix.

This is a good example of kind of, but not quite, what I'm talking about. Listen, the loop that starts off the beginning of the song never goes away. You can't really hear it except during the breaks, but it's there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ECAplzR8E

Cool idea, will look into it! Maybe some wintery chilling wind samples would do the trick.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 11, 2014

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Cool idea, will look into it! Maybe some wintery chilling wind samples would do the trick.

I'm a big advocate of having quiet noise as a texture; you'll find wind samples sound pretty naff and are almost too distracting. Things/places to look for good stuff:

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ is an online shortwave radio tool from some clever dutch uni peeps; tune it into somewhere between channels and use upperband or lowerband or w/e to en-pinken or en-brownen (so to speak) the noise. Or alternatively just have some weird mongolian shortwave station in the background. Also useful for sleeping.

http://macaulaylibrary.org/ - animal noises; good for field recordings.

Freesound, of course. This person - http://www.freesound.org/people/inchadney/ - has a lot of good field recordings, many of which are quiet, nighttime ambiences.

:ocelot:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Do you have a smartphone? I'm sure you can find something like that whatever your OS is.

I have an Android phone and I originally just used the default music player app but it didn't work as well as I'd have liked since it autoplays the next track once one finishes. I may check out VLC again to see if it has a non-autoplay feature, if it does then that would be the best/cheapest way.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Scatterfold posted:

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ is an online shortwave radio tool from some clever dutch uni peeps; tune it into somewhere between channels and use upperband or lowerband or w/e to en-pinken or en-brownen (so to speak) the noise. Or alternatively just have some weird mongolian shortwave station in the background. Also useful for sleeping.

this is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

What's everyones favorite euro clockable lfo? I've seen good things about the 4ms, the ModCan and some people are digging the Disting.

I've got an ES-4 so maybe I should just get a CV expander instead and software up some LFOs.. but thats not as much fun right?