Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

ZombieLenin posted:

I finished it last night, the only truly not perfectly resolved for the protagonists seems to be Trull dying and Rhulad getting consigned to oblivion.

Other than that, everything is peachy given the goals and desires of the main protagonists.
Outside of MoI, I don't really see this is a 'neater' end than any other book. Maybe you've just been ruined by this series. ;)

quote:

As for Letheras being based on Ancient Rome... Maybe tangentially. Erickson uses Tehol Beddict as a mouth piece for Marx's labor value theory.

In addition, while Letheras isn't exactly your prototypical industrialized society, it certainly isn't an agrarian slave economy.

I suppose you could argue that the system of indenture is a type of slavery, but that's not how ancient slave economies worked.

In addition, a lot of attention is given to the intricate nature of the the Letharii financial system, the role of the banks, and the commodification of everything--including labor.

None of this is Roman. Nor are the Letharii institutions really analogous to Roman institutions. There is no Senate, the role of religion is different, the army doesn't function the same.

The only similarities I see is the Letharii don't have stirrups and they fetishize the First Empire. They don't even end up with an Emperor though until the Edur conquest.
I mean, sure, it's not a direct stand-in and plenty of aspects are exaggerated, but (a) I'm positive I've seen a quote from him to the effect that Rome served as Lether's inspiration (notwithstanding Levitate's excerpt above), though I'm not going to fall back to that until I can find it again, and (b), there are plenty of similarities. Rome, as an empire, wasn't so much an agrarian slave economy as a war economy, in terms of where their money tended to actually come from. Along these lines, the manner in which Lether started wars and acquired new territory/wealth is straight out of the Roman playbook. The generation-spanning debt that defined social standing in Lether, while exaggerated, also reminiscent of Rome. In general, I'm not sure why you say that none of the intricate nature of the Letherii financial system is Roman - obviously it's not Rome, itself, but there's a whole lot more Rome than just Capitalism. The fundamental problem The problem in Lether wasn't that everything Likewise with their institutions, lack of senate and different titles (King instead of Emperor - big deal) aside.

quote:

If anyone in this series is a stand in for Rome it's the Malazans.
By the reasons you gave above, Malaz is significantly less Roman than Lether.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

In addition, a lot of attention is given to the intricate nature of the the Letharii financial system, the role of the banks, and the commodification of everything--including labor.

None of this is Roman. Nor are the Letharii institutions really analogous to Roman institutions. There is no Senate, the role of religion is different, the army doesn't function the same.

The only similarities I see is the Letharii don't have stirrups and they fetishize the First Empire. They don't even end up with an Emperor though until the Edur conquest.

Edit

They also have their version of Nubian auxiliary calvary.

If anyone in this series is a stand in for Rome it's the Malazans.

Hell no. Perhaps I'm mistaken but didn't the Romans use debt fairly heavily within their economy - they had a major credit crisis in 33AD. I agree on the senate and the role of religion but overall Lethar had a far stronger late Rome feel than the Malazan empire, which could almost be the Persian Empire from an internal perspective (aka how they treat conquered communities, their views on religious freedom, etc).

Actually I think something you might be talking past each other on - the answer also depends on which era of Rome you're talking about. Malaz is more comparable to early Rome if anything, whereas Lether has more parallels with later Rome.

e: actually I really have no reason to spoiler any of this :cripes:

Baudin fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 3, 2014

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Halfway through The Crippled God. Just get to the drat fireworks factory already!

I still enjoy the series but I think Erikson kind of disappeared up his own butt in the last three books. Character has devolved into endless philosophizing such that it's difficult to tell anyone apart. Everyone says the same drat things.

edt: Nevermimd, the book just got way better.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 5, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tokelau All Star posted:

Character has devolved into endless philosophizing such that it's difficult to tell anyone apart. Everyone says the same drat things.

I'm only a third of the way through Dust of Dreams and this sums up the entire series for me so far. It's pages of pages of "Where is this going?" followed by "Oh my gosh I can't believe that just happened!" The most recent was the death of Tool. I suppose it was inevitable, in hindsight.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Tokelau All Star posted:

Halfway through The Crippled God. Just get to the drat fireworks factory already!

I still enjoy the series but I think Erikson kind of disappeared up his own butt in the last three books. Character has devolved into endless philosophizing such that it's difficult to tell anyone apart. Everyone says the same drat things.

Hahaha

Yeah Erikson's setups started taking longer but his payoffs also become loving huge

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I thought he hit his worst at TtH; the final two books at least have an interesting setting. But that could be just my general hatred for everything Darujhistan.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Honestly, I thought he hit his worst at TtH; the final two books at least have an interesting setting. But that could be just my general hatred for everything Darujhistan.

This is a pretty common and fair opinion, not least because TtH, IIRC, is the book narrated by Kruppe. Unsurprisingly, it drags like all hell in places and yeah the philosophizing definitely ramps up.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why did the Adjunct march most of her entire army to death in the desert? Especially since she had Mael's dagger.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
He needed to show the readers just what length people would go to please this plain looking ordinary woman who has no special gift and no commanding presence. No, there's no reason, it's pointless and dumb. I am at the same point in my reread right now and it's just so dumb I dont get it.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Vaguely remember it being either roughly halfway so needed to be rationed, to meet up with D'rek in the form of the Snake, or both. It's been a while though.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Tavore's 「CHARISMA」 always kind of confused me.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

amuayse posted:

Tavore's 「CHARISMA」 always kind of confused me.

start thinking of her as a downs syndrome child and everything starts making sense.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Spermy Smurf posted:

He needed to show the readers just what length people would go to please this plain looking ordinary woman who has no special gift and no commanding presence. No, there's no reason, it's pointless and dumb. I am at the same point in my reread right now and it's just so dumb I dont get it.

The fact that the author goes out of his way to harp on that may indicate that it's intentional.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

Why did the Adjunct march most of her entire army to death in the desert? Especially since she had Mael's dagger.

I'm not sure I understand the question. They were marching out to a particular destination. Mael's gift wouldn't have helped had it been used earlier.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Habibi posted:

I'm not sure I understand the question. They were marching out to a particular destination. Mael's gift wouldn't have helped had it been used earlier.

The destination ended up being "Wherever she stuck her sword." This is what we don't understand. She could have taken the heart back to Pale, Malaz City, or any place in the entire world and stuck her sword down to call the dragon. No reason to cross the glass desert, and certainly no reason to wait till her army is weak and dying of dehydration with 12hrs left to live before using Maels gift. Use it two days previous, save thousands, have an army in better fighting shape....or just stay behind on the far edge of the glass desert because no way could the Assail army cross it to stop her.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Spermy Smurf posted:

The destination ended up being "Wherever she stuck her sword." This is what we don't understand. She could have taken the heart back to Pale, Malaz City, or any place in the entire world and stuck her sword down to call the dragon. No reason to cross the glass desert, and certainly no reason to wait till her army is weak and dying of dehydration with 12hrs left to live before using Maels gift. Use it two days previous, save thousands, have an army in better fighting shape....or just stay behind on the far edge of the glass desert because no way could the Assail army cross it to stop her.

I thought they went through the desert mainly to create another front to fight the Assail on and no one would ever expect an army to come from that direction.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

The destination ended up being "Wherever she stuck her sword." This is what we don't understand. She could have taken the heart

Where do you think the heart was?

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
There's no reason to think that Tavore just forgot about or decided not to use the dagger, as opposed to the place she used it being the only place it worked at. Either because the dagger's magic was blocked by the glass desert, or because it was drawing up water from underground and that was where an ocean used to be or something.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Segway Rave posted:

There's no reason to think that Tavore just forgot about or decided not to use the dagger, as opposed to the place she used it being the only place it worked at. Either because the dagger's magic was blocked by the glass desert, or because it was drawing up water from underground and that was where an ocean used to be or something.

From a mystical standpoint, I thought I recalled something about the dagger only being used at the last desperate moment. As a practical matter, you can only carry so much water with you, but I don't have a clear recollection of how much time passed between the ritual and their stand.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Habibi posted:

Where do you think the heart was?

In the Shi'gul Assassins hands? Which could be taken anywhere...? Did I miss something huge about making the Crippled God whole again?

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun

Spermy Smurf posted:

In the Shi'gul Assassins hands? Which could be taken anywhere...? Did I miss something huge about making the Crippled God whole again?

I think Kalam had already attracted the otataral dragon with his sword, and it was a pretty time sensitive thing, with Korobas about to be killed or absorbed by Tiam or whatever was going on there.

Plus, you know, convergences.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Stayed up all night finishing The Crippled God. Thoughts -

How the hell is Olar Ethil also Burn? This just doesn't make any sense to me. The Crippled God is poisoning Burn, who is also the whole world, so she went to sleep. If Burn wakes up then everyone dies. But here's Olar Ethil just walking around doing poo poo. What?

I really liked Torrent. He was one of the better character arcs introduced late in the series.

After all the build up of Amby Bole's fists of iron, I was really hoping to see him punch out a Forkrul Assail. Made me think back to Memories of Ice (I'm probably remembering this all wrong), when it was a big mystery how the Mott Irregulars took down the giant condor that was murdering everyone: a bunch of them just jumped on it and beat the poo poo out of it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'm pretty sure Olar Ethil is just full of poo poo but Forge of Darkness might give some more insight (I haven't actually read it yet)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I haven't read it in quite a while but IIRC the idea was to set up the mother of all convergences, which required Korabas, D'rek and the heart in the same place. I'd also assume Gu'rull's operational range is somewhat limited.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

The heart was originally in the hands of the FA, from whom the assassin stole it not long before the finale, iirc.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

Stayed up all night finishing The Crippled God. Thoughts -

How the hell is Olar Ethil also Burn?

Levitate posted:

I'm pretty sure Olar Ethil is just full of poo poo

Ding ding ding. Her words to Torrent (?) are just wind.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Ok, what do I read now? Which ICE book is generally considered the best one? I'm thinking either going on to Forge of Darkness or ICE's Darujhistan book.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

Ok, what do I read now? Which ICE book is generally considered the best one? I'm thinking either going on to Forge of Darkness or ICE's Darujhistan book.

If you've just finishes the main series I would recommend Forge, as it's probably best read with the series as fresh in your mind as possible. Orb, Sceptre, Throne, ICEs Darujistan book, which is IMO his best, can be left for next.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

On the other hand, if you read Forge of Darnkess next, it'll make the wait for Fall of Light that much more difficult since you'll undoubtedly be left wanting more!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

On the other hand, if you read Forge of Darnkess next, it'll make the wait for Fall of Light that much more difficult since you'll undoubtedly be left wanting more!

That's when you start reading Gardens of the Moon again.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

Quoting myself from page 128. I was just rereading the series again and could the answer to why turtle shells are great armor against the Forkrul Assail is simply the noise? Spax walking around the queen is continuously mentioned with how loud it is. If they can't hear, it takes away the assails voice power right? Ganeos did it with cotton in his ears at one point for fucks sake. It may not be about un-punchability and more to do with their Voice?

Quoting myself again. I did not realize but in my latest reread in crippled god they specifically say why:

Brother Diligence says: "the weapons of the FA are our hands and feet - the Gillankai devised an armor to blunt our blows..."

Must be pretty tough turtle shells...

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

Quoting myself again. I did not realize but in my latest reread in crippled god they specifically say why:

Brother Diligence says: "the weapons of the FA are our hands and feet - the Gillankai devised an armor to blunt our blows..."

Like I commented the last time that came up, I choose to believe it's something more interesting than just tough shells - like the curvature of turtle shells being suited to redirecting impacts.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I just think that Tavore's whole plan involving half her army dying to dehydration was almost pointlessly risky, even if it did make a good story.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

I just think that Tavore's whole plan involving half her army dying to dehydration was almost pointlessly risky, even if it did make a good story.

It was the best bad idea they had.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Speaking of the FA, both Calm and Serenity from HoC and MT makes an appearance in TCG? Or do I mix them up.

Also, Kettle is the daughter of Trull and Eres'al? In MT it is described that Kettle remember coming from a desert guided by Nameless Ones and having the right blood. In HoC Trull is raped by Eres'al.

I just finished MT for the third time, and it is among the best books in the series. Also, the only book where the Crimson Guard is not boring.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Cardiac posted:

I just finished MT for the third time, and it is among the best books in the series. Also, the only book where the Crimson Guard is not boring.

Ain't it the truth? I'm about 2/3 through Assail, and the Crimson Guard have spent the whole book being a bunch of dumb idiots. Iron Bars is one of the best characters in MT, but in ICE's hands, he's just one of a long succession of braindead goofs that we're somehow supposed to care about.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

Speaking of the FA, both Calm and Serenity from HoC and MT makes an appearance in TCG? Or do I mix them up.

Also, Kettle is the daughter of Trull and Eres'al? In MT it is described that Kettle remember coming from a desert guided by Nameless Ones and having the right blood. In HoC Trull is raped by Eres'al.
No. IIRC, Kettle's soul is Forkrul Assail, either half-blood or true. So she'd have to have come through the desert from Kolanse.

MT is actually my favorite book in the series, among other reasons because it introduces my favorite character, Udinaas.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

No. IIRC, Kettle's soul is Forkrul Assail, either half-blood or true. So she'd have to have come through the desert from Kolanse.

MT is actually my favorite book in the series, among other reasons because it introduces my favorite character, Udinaas.

I forgot about Kolanse.... drat these deserts.

So, do we actually meet Trull and Eres'als child, since that rape had to be for a reason?

I am apparently on a Erikson reading binge at the moment, since I went straight to Bonehunters from MT.
Also, neither Draconus or Osserc is going to win any Daddy of the Year awards.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Habibi posted:

Like I commented the last time that came up, I choose to believe it's something more interesting than just tough shells - like the curvature of turtle shells being suited to redirecting impacts.

I guessed it was more like bubble wrap. Punch a shell, it cracks, but absorbs the impact. And maybe the shells interlock from that direction and distribute the punch over a wide enough area that you don't die instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

I forgot about Kolanse.... drat these deserts.

So, do we actually meet Trull and Eres'als child, since that rape had to be for a reason?
Also, neither Draconus or Osserc is going to win any Daddy of the Year awards.
I don't think we do. As for Draconus' parenting, well, just wait until FoD.
And of course, there's what's arguably one of the constants of the Malazan universe: Osserc is a dork.