Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

WarLocke posted:

I'm on to you thread, you're not going to trick me into watching Glee because the Flash was on it. :colbert:

I say this as a regular poster in the Glee thread; please do not ever watch Glee. It is not a television show, it is an abusive spouse whose audience is powerless to leave it. We tell ourselves it will change, we try to remember the good times back when it really loved us. But the truth is it never loved us. It never loved us at all. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hub of the Solar System brah

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Spergatory posted:

I say this as a regular poster in the Glee thread; please do not ever watch Glee. It is not a television show, it is an abusive spouse whose audience is powerless to leave it. We tell ourselves it will change, we try to remember the good times back when it really loved us. But the truth is it never loved us. It never loved us at all. :cry:

should be the new glee thread title

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sorry to continue the OT Glee chat, but what was so terrible about that show? I've never seen it, not really my thing, but I remember people were in love with it early on, and then I noticed the TVIV thread titles starting to get really negative after a year or two.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Starling replaces Seattle with Hub City replacing Portland and Bludhaven is Baltimore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phenotype posted:

Sorry to continue the OT Glee chat, but what was so terrible about that show? I've never seen it, not really my thing, but I remember people were in love with it early on, and then I noticed the TVIV thread titles starting to get really negative after a year or two.

Glee was so bad that the one dude killed himself to escape it.

yes i know that's not what happened but it's what I choose to believe

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Glee is everything terrible about after-school specials and Broadway musicals at the same time and takes affirmative action to such an absurd level that even affirmative action people must roll their eyes at it. The characters are written wildly different from episode to episode, but the show insists that it has continuity that matters. And, it made me hate Jane Lynch.

Gustin was legitimately good on it, though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I was born in Baltimore. Bludhaven is Baltimore.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I was born in Baltimore. Bludhaven is Baltimore.

"It's Bludhaven, gentlemen... the New Gods will not save you."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I watched two episodes of Glee and it just seemed like a bunch of high school bullshit that only high school kids could really enjoy. Just...so loving overwrought and hysterical all the loving time, everything's a loving federal case and they're all gonna die if their crush doesn't notice them, oh my GAWD!

Based on two episodes, at least.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

"It's Bludhaven, gentlemen... the New Gods will not save you."

Where Orion?

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I watched two episodes of Glee and it just seemed like a bunch of high school bullshit that only high school kids could really enjoy. Just...so loving overwrought and hysterical all the loving time, everything's a loving federal case and they're all gonna die if their crush doesn't notice them, oh my GAWD!

Based on two episodes, at least.

That's fairly accurate. Except it's a musical on top of that. Standouts: NPH guest starred an episode which was pretty decent. Also, if you're into music they've done a number of decent covers. I just wouldn't sit through a whole episode for it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

bobkatt013 posted:

Where Orion?

"Orion comin'!"

I believe, while we're on the topic, Opal City (Starman) is located at the very top of the Chesepeake Bay between Baltimore and Philly.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Don't listen to the weaklings who are too weak to watch Glee. Watch Glee. Survive Glee. Prove your worth.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BrianWilly posted:

Don't listen to the weaklings who are too weak to watch Glee. Watch Glee. Survive Glee. Prove your worth.

This.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

BrianWilly posted:

What's so hard about it? Thirteen episodes, ends with a great rendition of "My Life Would Suck Without You..."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

mcswizzle posted:

Also, if you're into music they've done a number of decent covers.

I went to college with a bunch of kids fourteen and fifteen years younger than me and I can't tell you how many times I had my heart broken by them when I heard them singing an awesome classic rock song only to have them say, "Yeah, I love that song, it's from Glee!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I figured out who professor Welles must be:
Mopee

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I went to college with a bunch of kids fourteen and fifteen years younger than me and I can't tell you how many times I had my heart broken by them when I heard them singing an awesome classic rock song only to have them say, "Yeah, I love that song, it's from Glee!"

Yeah, this is why I couldn't stand the show in general. My wife enjoy(ed) it (thankfully that's over), and once in a while I'd catch a song that I enjoyed. The :derp: ~drama~ :derp: was too much for me. Most of the songs suck, and half of the good songs they cover are done so horribly. What's left are the few songs that you can hear and not immediately want to punch babies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mcswizzle posted:

Yeah, this is why I couldn't stand the show in general. My wife enjoy(ed) it (thankfully that's over), and once in a while I'd catch a song that I enjoyed. The :derp: ~drama~ :derp: was too much for me. Most of the songs suck, and half of the good songs they cover are done so horribly. What's left are the few songs that you can hear and not immediately want to punch babies.

I hate it due to working retail during the Christmas season and for a month or 2 for 40 hours a week all we listened to was the Glee Christmas album on repeat. It was cruel and unusual punishment.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

What I would give for Michael Rosenbaum to show up as Led and do a version of The Great Brain Robbery from JLU.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Opal City is by Havre De Grace? Ahahahahahaha!

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG8Zga3DbQs

First run up the side of a building.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Whoever said that Flash was basically Superman to Arrow's Batman was spot on! Holy poo poo was that an awesome sequence. It also reminds me how rare it has actually become to see a superhero saving people from an impossible situation (last week notwithstanding).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That makes the comic book fan in me squeal, and the physicist in me look for something sharp.

Running up a building is not a question of speed as long as you can go faster than 10 m/s (22 mph). The problem is staying attached to the building while you do so, and no amount of "running really fast" will fix that. One push against the building instead along it will send you into empty space and then you either need to vibrate your arms fast enough to fly or you're gonna eat pavement.

If you're one of those people who has trouble rotating reference frames, imagine it like running along the ground into a headwind while weightless. There's no way that's gonna end well.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 8, 2014

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
As long as he maintains his velocity, he won't go splat. Unfortunately, coming to an abrupt halt after going however fast he had to go, the guy Barry saved from falling had his neck broken.

Or, ... Speed Force.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bruceski posted:

That makes the comic book fan in me squeal, and the physicist in me look for something sharp.

Running up a building is not a question of speed as long as you can go faster than 10 m/s (22 mph). The problem is staying attached to the building while you do so, and no amount of "running really fast" will fix that. One push against the building instead along it will send you into empty space and then you either need to vibrate your arms fast enough to fly or you're gonna eat pavement.

Don't be that guy. Not in this thread.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Don't be that guy. Not in this thread.

Usually I wouldn't. Usually I'm quite good at suspending my disbelief and rolling with things. In an earlier trailer when Barry ran up the building I was quite happy, and I don't know why the full scene just makes me cringe.

E: anyway, it's my problem to get over and Flash is still awesome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry's clearly not bound by the laws of physics even when he just runs.

Caitlin probably figured it out already. She just doesn't want to open that can of worms.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

He ran up the building to take a picture of Felicity last episode. Why's he worried about it this time?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Drifter posted:

He ran up the building to take a picture of Felicity last episode. Why's he worried about it this time?

Pretty sure he used stairs that time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I started reading New 52 The Flash. He vibrates an entire plane safely through a bridge.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bruceski posted:

Usually I wouldn't. Usually I'm quite good at suspending my disbelief and rolling with things. In an earlier trailer when Barry ran up the building I was quite happy, and I don't know why the full scene just makes me cringe.

E: anyway, it's my problem to get over and Flash is still awesome.

I can sort've see it being obnoxious that they do pretend math to be like "no really guys, this is scientifically sound". Just have Barry run up the building without thinking about it then when he says "uhhh, how did I do that" have all the scientists shrug and look baffled.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

I can sort've see it being obnoxious that they do pretend math to be like "no really guys, this is scientifically sound". Just have Barry run up the building without thinking about it then when he says "uhhh, how did I do that" have all the scientists shrug and look baffled.

It particularly weird because the intro's whole message is "nerds relax, its magic, enjoy it".

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Guy A. Person posted:

In the old Flash series he vibrated through a wall. The explanation was "that was weird!"

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

You are the definition of pure evil.

Glee is bad because it doesn't know what it wants to be. One episode will mock high school drama with all the venom and viciousness it deserves, the next will treat it completely seriously. One episode features a gas leak that causes everyone to hallucinate puppets. This is within a few episodes of a fake school shooting. The characters vary so wildly from episode to episode that even the actors have given up trying to make sense of it. One of them even apologized to the show's audience.

It's bad.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Spergatory posted:

You are the definition of pure evil.

Glee is bad because it doesn't know what it wants to be. One episode will mock high school drama with all the venom and viciousness it deserves, the next will treat it completely seriously. One episode features a gas leak that causes everyone to hallucinate puppets. This is within a few episodes of a fake school shooting. The characters vary so wildly from episode to episode that even the actors have given up trying to make sense of it. One of them even apologized to the show's audience.

It's bad.

You're making it sound good bad.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

WarLocke posted:

Crossover sing-off between Ollie Queen, Thea Queen, Malcolm Merlyn, Barry Allen, Eddie Thawn and Detective West.

Do it, CW. :colbert:

Great. Now I will be forever disappointed that the next cross-over episode will not also the musical episode.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

bobkatt013 posted:

I hate it due to working retail during the Christmas season and for a month or 2 for 40 hours a week all we listened to was the Glee Christmas album on repeat. It was cruel and unusual punishment.

I got a Glee music at work horror story for you, back when first started working at a thrift shop we only had one CD that played in the store.
The first three tracks Pink's Rockstar, Raise your Glass and Just like a Pill, honestly I can tolerate Pink, she is one the better female pop stars to come out of the nineties.

The next seven or so songs were all glee. and sweet loving Christ did they get annoying. They got to be so overplay that I could nitpick everything they did wrong with them. The first Glee cover was Bohemian Rhapsody. Pretty hard to Deviate from that in any way withing making it sound horrible and thankfully they didn't even try so it was passable. The next few songs were covers of some of the pretty standard pop songs that were always playing on the radio, nothing I ever listen to so I didn't really have anything to complain about what they did to them.

Then came Crazy in Love/Hair. I happen to like the musical the latter song come from and the original song itself. What in the gently caress were they thinking pairing these two songs together? the first song is some awful cookie cutter pop song where the chorus is the same lyric repeated seven or eight times. The latter is from the musical of the same name and is about how growing your hair out was a sign of rebellion in the sixties counter culture movement. Why did they think combining the two would in anyway work? They also slowed down the pacing of the part of the song they took I mean just listen the orginal and the point they took and here's the glee'd verson. Why did they slow it down so much the song looses all energy at that point and become boring to listen too.

The next glee cover was Thriller. Why did they and such an overbearing amount of UHN TSS UHN TSS UHN TSS, it literally overpowers everything else in the song and it become obnoxious. The final glee cover was of gently caress You but since it was from a syndicated tv show all instances of the word "gently caress" were replaced by "forget" making the song less fun in my opinion.

Then we got into the Katy Perry songs fortunately there were just two, Fireworks and California Girls. This was back towards the end of 2011 so the former was starting to get annoying, also the first lyric started to bug me as well. "Do you ever feel like a plastic bag?" Seems kind of insulting to something that has become such an integral part of daily living these past sixty years or so. I mean yeah firewors are pretty and go bang and that stuff but how are they going to help you dispose of the garbage? I also mean that both literally and figuratively, go into the Let's Play subforum and watch Fiendly's Lets Play of Manhunt for more information. As for California Girls whoever wrote that song has obviously never seen any of Bangkok's infamous skeevy back alley sex shows. The Final song was none other than The Spice Girls' I know What Boys Like. Hearing that song 5-8 time a day nearly every day for two month is enough to turn any feminist into a Men Rights Activist.

So anyways the godddamn CD was also the only thing we were allowed to play according to our manager and after two months of hearing each of those songs five time a day at the very least. It got to be so bad that a customer offered to buy the drat CD so he could smash it. When we finally got around to telling our manager about it he had trouble wrapping his head around that it wasn't just the employees complaining about it it was also the customers.
Fortunately Christmas rolled around and we switched to Christmas music and my torment was over.

or so I though. The CD was only twenty eight minutes long. and contained both Glee Chrismas music and the Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas song. For two straight week I wound out hearing both Glee Christmas music and the Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas song for at least TEN TIMES A DAY FOR TWO WEEKS. :suicide:

Luckily, somebody dug out some other Christmas Music and after the Christmas season ended the manager left. Afterward that it became an unwritten rule that there would be no Glee Music in the store or else I'd have permission to burn the store to the ground.

TL;DR
I have had an absolute nightmare experience with Glee music and now hearing the song Crazy in Love now inspires me to commit acts of Pyromanical rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

The final glee cover was of gently caress You but since it was from a syndicated tv show all instances of the word "gently caress" were replaced by "forget" making the song less fun in my opinion.

Cee Lo Green actually did two versions of the song, so it's less "TV censorship" and more "guess which one gets played." I agree it loses something in the transition.

• Locked thread