Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Just watch SCOTUS refuse to take it until we get another conservative justice.

vvvv I'm aware- the same issue of the court's current composition makes it unappetizing from a liberal perspective as well.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Discendo Vox posted:

They only need 4 to take the case.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Considering now terribly that opinion is written, I hope they just did it to send it to SCOTUS.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Considering now terribly that opinion is written, I hope they just did it to send it to SCOTUS.

Not having much knowledge on this subject, I'm wondering if it's possible the Supreme Court takes it and just tears apart the reasoning used and sends it back down while basically saying "try again"?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They can if they want to.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Antti posted:

Working example of rules lawyering:

My name in the subpoena is in all caps, my true name is in upper and lower case letters, therefore your subpoena is directed at a fictitious thrall of the federal government and I don't have to pay taxes, also the flag here has gold fringes so this is an admiralty court, YOU HAVE NO POWER OVER ME!

John Bowie smiles and calls for the bailiff.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Discendo Vox posted:

vvvv I'm aware- the same issue of the court's current composition makes it unappetizing from a liberal perspective as well.

I think Ginsburg is a sure vote for cert, and I think Breyer, Sotomayor and Kagan are confident enough in Kennedy's vote to vote for cert as well.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

What are they chances they would agree that gay marriage is actually not allowed though? They'd be going back on their own opinion, wouldn't they?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Am I insane for thinking they could get Scalia and Thomas on board for gay marriage if the majority from Windsor agreed to revisit the question of scrutiny? It seemed like most of Scalia's dissent in Windsor was rightfully calling the majority out on being cowards, and getting in a slap fight with them over scrutiny. So if you take away that issue it seems to me like you could get them on board, but I have no idea how much of a dishonest fundie Scalia is.

I think you could at least swing Chaotic Neutral Law Cleric Thomas over.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ErIog posted:

I have no idea how much of a dishonest fundie Scalia is

he's the kind of guy who will no-poo poo opine that the federal civil remedy portion of the VAWA has no constitutional basis and then 5 years later opine that growing medical marijuana prepped and consumed entirely within the home in which it was grown is in fact economic activity falling under the commerce clause authority of the government to raid it.

(the only way to predict Scalia's vote is to ask "what is the 'biggest rear end in a top hat' opinion?")

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ErIog posted:

Am I insane for thinking they could get Scalia and Thomas on board for gay marriage if the majority from Windsor agreed to revisit the question of scrutiny? It seemed like most of Scalia's dissent in Windsor was rightfully calling the majority out on being cowards, and getting in a slap fight with them over scrutiny. So if you take away that issue it seems to me like you could get them on board, but I have no idea how much of a dishonest fundie Scalia is.

I think you could at least swing Chaotic Neutral Law Cleric Thomas over.

Maybe Thomas, but it's a long shot. There's a better shot of Roberts voting for gay marriage than Scalia.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Warszawa posted:

Maybe Thomas, but it's a long shot. There's a better shot of Roberts voting for gay marriage than Scalia.

There's a better shot of Roberts actually being gay than Scalia voting for marriage.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Let's remember that in the same week Scalia released opinions whining about the Supreme Court overstepping its bounds by overturning the Will Of The People in DOMA...and then gutted the VRA because hey the fact that it got renewed by crushing majorities just proves that congress was too afraid of a backlash by voters if they didn't do it and that's when the Court has to step in and save the system from Democracy!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The Warszawa posted:

I think everyone was surprised when Windsor ended up as a decision on the Fifth rather than the Tenth, because the Tenth Amendment argument for striking down DOMA is so well known and even accepted by near everyone it was featured on the fuckin' West Wing.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

FAUXTON posted:

and then 5 years later opine that growing medical marijuana prepped and consumed entirely within the home in which it was grown is in fact economic activity falling under the commerce clause authority of the government to raid it.

(the only way to predict Scalia's vote is to ask "what is the 'biggest rear end in a top hat' opinion?")

Which is keeping with the concept of stare decisis and other Supreme Court decisions on "Aggregate effect" of personal consumption. See e.g. Wickard v. Filburn. (Not saying I agree with Wickard. I think it was a bullshit decision in the first place. but precedent is precedent.)

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ActusRhesus posted:

Which is keeping with the concept of stare decisis and other Supreme Court decisions on "Aggregate effect" of personal consumption. See e.g. Wickard v. Filburn. (Not saying I agree with Wickard. I think it was a bullshit decision in the first place. but precedent is precedent.)

That works if Raich is taken in a vacuum, but where was Scalia's concern for stare decisis and aggregate effect in Morrison and Lopez? It's a clear divergence in his Commerce Clause jurisprudence without apparent rationale aside from the policy implications.

I mean, maybe he was trying to narrow Wickard v. Filburn into solely applying to agricultural products like some sort of perverse Chaplinsky progression, but I doubt it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

The Warszawa posted:

That works if Raich is taken in a vacuum, but where was Scalia's concern for stare decisis and aggregate effect in Morrison and Lopez? It's a clear divergence in his Commerce Clause jurisprudence without apparent rationale aside from the policy implications.

I mean, maybe he was trying to narrow Wickard v. Filburn into solely applying to agricultural products like some sort of perverse Chaplinsky progression, but I doubt it.

I suppose one could argue that wheat farming and weed farming are not so different. And I seem to recall in Lopez there was evidence that the guns did not necessarily travel interstate. Plus in Morrison the nexus to commerce is kind of a stretch...the VWA lawsuit provisions really had nothing to do with commerce at all and to say it did was pretty eyebrow raising.

all that being said, with the exception of maybe Thomas (who was accurately described above as a lawful neutral cleric of justice), I don't think ANY justices are 100% consistent in their logic and holdings.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 7, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

I suppose one could argue that wheat farming an weed farming are not so different. And I seem to recall in Lopez there was evidence that the guns did not necessarily travel interstate. Plus in Morrison the nexus to commerce is kind of a stretch...the VWA lawsuit provisions really had nothing to do with commerce at all and to say it did was pretty eyebrow raising.

all that being said, with the exception of maybe Thomas (who was accurately described above as a lawful chaotic cleric of justice), I don't think ANY justices are 100% consistent in their logic and holdings.

D&D sperging about D&D inbound in 3, 2, 1....

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
The argument in Lopez was never contingent on the guns themselves having traveled interstate, but rather that the instruments of violent crime can be regulated under the Commerce Clause as violent crime substantially affects interstate commerce. I actually think that crime has a sufficient effect on interstate commerce (particularly the influx of labor and capital, see any urban redevelopment scheme in the last 25 years or so) to justify both the GFSZ and VAWA, but I read the Commerce Clause very broadly (about as broadly as the Supreme Court did until Lopez and Morrison, actually). I still think the winning argument in Morrison was Section 5 of the Fourteenth Amendment, but that was probably a non-starter post-Adarand.

I agree that all the Justices probably drift a bit, but the Lopez/Morrison/Raich turnabout is pretty egregious.

Also ahem lawful and chaotic are opposing alignment values, you mean lawful evil I think ...

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Also ahem lawful and chaotic are opposing alignment values, you mean lawful evil I think ...

you are correct. Though I'd say lawful neutral. I tend to think most people, even people with whom I disagree, are not evil.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ActusRhesus posted:

you are correct. Though I'd say lawful neutral. I tend to think most people, even people with whom I disagree, are not evil.

I would actually say lawful good, it's just that "chaotic" and "evil" occupy the same sides of their respective alignment spectra.

Thomas is like my third favorite Justice though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

Scalia openly loathes Wickard v. Filburn and takes shots at it every chance he gets. That's what makes it hypocritical: if Raich was about tobacco and not weed he'd have flipped his vote.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

I would actually say lawful good, it's just that "chaotic" and "evil" occupy the same sides of their respective alignment spectra.

Thomas is like my third favorite Justice though.

Yeah, chaotic lawful was a brain fart on my part because I like the idea of Cleric Thomas. As for neutral v. good, I guess I operate on the assumption that, the alignment grid notwithstanding, to be "truly" lawful, one can never be truly good or evil, as law itself is, ideally, neutral, and say one thing for Thomas, his opinions are based on a largely consistent strict text approach, even when he openly says the law he's supporting is stupid. I still don't see how anyone can claim he doesn't like gays because he dissented in Lawrence...unless of course you didn't actually read his dissent. ("I join Justice Scalia’s dissenting opinion. I write separately to note that the law before the Court today “is … uncommonly silly.” Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U.S. 479, 527 (1965) (Stewart, J., dissenting). If I were a member of the Texas Legislature, I would vote to repeal it. Punishing someone for expressing his sexual preference through noncommercial consensual conduct with another adult does not appear to be a worthy way to expend valuable law enforcement resources.") I'd say he leans to the good side of neutral, though. I actually got to meet Thomas once. We spent the entire time talking about college football and no law talk at all. It was awesome.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 7, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

if Raich was about tobacco and not weed he'd have flipped his vote.

I'm not so sure. He's consistently come down on the "pro-drug dealer" side on 4th Amendment issues.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ActusRhesus posted:

I guess I operate on the assumption that, the alignment grid notwithstanding, to be "truly" lawful, one can never be truly good or evil, as law itself is, ideally, neutral, and say one thing for Thomas, his opinions are based on a largely consistent strict text approach, even when he openly says the law he's supporting is stupid. I still don't see how anyone can claim he doesn't like gays because he dissented in Lawrence...unless of course you didn't actually read his dissent. ("I join Justice Scalia’s dissenting opinion. I write separately to note that the law before the Court today “is … uncommonly silly.” Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U.S. 479, 527 (1965) (Stewart, J., dissenting). If I were a member of the Texas Legislature, I would vote to repeal it. Punishing someone for expressing his sexual preference through noncommercial consensual conduct with another adult does not appear to be a worthy way to expend valuable law enforcement resources.") I'd say he leans to the good side of neutral, though. I actually got to meet Thomas once. We spent the entire time talking about college football and no law talk at all. It was awesome.

Yeah, I've had that moment with Thomas - he's really gregarious.

But yeah I'm a crit so I don't really think the law is neutral at all. I don't think Thomas harbors any personal animosity towards the LGBT crowd, but I can't say the same about Scalia.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Yeah, I've had that moment with Thomas - he's really gregarious.

But yeah I'm a crit so I don't really think the law is neutral at all. I don't think Thomas harbors any personal animosity towards the LGBT crowd, but I can't say the same about Scalia.

forgive my ignorance but "crit" means what?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ActusRhesus posted:

forgive my ignorance but "crit" means what?

Critical Legal Studies/Critical Race Theory as a school of legal analysis. More of an academic perspective on jurisprudence than a jurisprudential perspective - I think that judges can and should strive for neutrality, but that it's something you approach without ever achieving and that neutrality in practice requires an awareness of systemic and personal biases. Tablet had an interesting article on motions for Jewish judges to recuse themselves in cases involving Palestinian terrorism (specifically, moving for Judge Borman to recuse in the deportation case of a Palestinian woman who had been imprisoned for bombings in Israel).

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Ah. Thank you. I admit it's an idealistic dream...but wouldn't it be a wonderful world if the law were, indeed, neutral? But that was my point initially, that to be "truly" lawful, you'd have to be neutral. But most people are not. And judges are no different in this regard.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ActusRhesus posted:

Ah. Thank you. I admit it's an idealistic dream...but wouldn't it be a wonderful world if the law were, indeed, neutral? But that was my point initially, that to be "truly" lawful, you'd have to be neutral. But most people are not. And judges are no different in this regard.

Eh, in a world immune to the systemic biases that compromise the neutrality of the law, there would be little need for much law.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I'd start singing "Imagine" now, but that would just remind me that John Lennon was ultimately shot.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

I still don't see how anyone can claim he doesn't like gays because he dissented in Lawrence...unless of course you didn't actually read his dissent. ("I join Justice Scalia’s dissenting opinion. I write separately to note that the law before the Court today “is … uncommonly silly.” Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U.S. 479, 527 (1965) (Stewart, J., dissenting). If I were a member of the Texas Legislature, I would vote to repeal it. Punishing someone for expressing his sexual preference through noncommercial consensual conduct with another adult does not appear to be a worthy way to expend valuable law enforcement resources.") I'd say he leans to the good side of neutral, though. I actually got to meet Thomas once. We spent the entire time talking about college football and no law talk at all. It was awesome.

Yeah, Thomas isn't malevolent he just has what I consider an extremely bizzare idea of how the law works. But he follows it pretty much no matter what, even when it's obvious his personal preferences would go the other way - in contrast to what I view as what Scalia does, where he very rarely winds up ruling in favor of something he personally dislikes.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, Thomas isn't malevolent he just has what I consider an extremely bizzare idea of how the law works. But he follows it pretty much no matter what, even when it's obvious his personal preferences would go the other way - in contrast to what I view as what Scalia does, where he very rarely winds up ruling in favor of something he personally dislikes.

Which is part of the reason for at least me being surprised that Windsor wasn't a Tenth decision: Thomas would've probably written the majority opinion.

That, and a 7-2 on Tenth grounds (if we're bringing aboard a legacy-obsessed Roberts) would've been hilarious to see the Scalia dissent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SCOTUS is going to hear the Burwell case, which is a really bad sign

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'd be utterly stunned if we don't get a 5-4 decision, or worse, that strikes down the subsidies for the ACA. Considering there would be no split to the en blanc hearing it seems rather unlikely that the SCOTUS moved to hear it just so they could agree with the courts when there's no split.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have to imagine that even if they don't outright take down the subsidies, they will do something akin to messing with the Medicaid expansion that will make things worse for people. I don't believe Roberts will completely remove the subsidies for states without exchanges, but he's going to do something we're going to hate.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Wow, it's really magnanimous of the lower courts to give the SCOTUS conservative bloc another chance to make the right decision.

Gods, just shoot me now. This loving country.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This is really bad, isn't it?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

SCOTUS already ruled that ACA was constitutional. They're going to tear it apart to the point where it won't actually be doing anything anymore. If they disagreed with it so much, why did they even rule that way in the first place? ("They" meaning Roberts.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When they struck down DOMA they also gutted the VRA, so they have to have something to balance out the eventual SSM ruling I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You guys are hand wringing over nothing. The people already have their subsidies. They aren't taking them back.