Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

I've heard that all three of the big Ubisoft releases this season contain in-app-purchases. Maybe they're running into an old Valve policy or something? Longshot, it's probably Ubisoft being a pack of idiots like EA.

Google and Apple take 30% of IAP, so I bet Valve is around there too.

I don't know what you can charge for without multiplayer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Shima Honnou posted:

There is precedent in games being removed from Steam but remaining in libraries for anyone who bought them. Fable 3 is an example that I happen to own (E: And also Mafia 1). I believe The Movies and the Godfather games used to be on Steam but aren't anymore.

But the difference here is these are games that aren't even out yet, rather than games that have run the course of their live span, so who the gently caress knows.

I'd bet on people getting refunds if it's gone for good, I don't think Ubisoft would support patching through Steam for just the people who preordered it. They let Dawn of Discovery/Anno 1404 be unsold for years on Steam because of patching issues I believe.

AngryBooch posted:

I've heard that all three of the big Ubisoft releases this season contain in-app-purchases. Maybe they're running into an old Valve policy or something? Longshot, it's probably Ubisoft being a pack of idiots like EA.

I think Valve requires all DLC to be available for purchase in the Steam store, Mass Effect 3/Dragon Age 2 a problem because of bioware points being the only way to get dlc.

All of this is very disappointing because I hate Uplay patching, but I didn't preorder it and don't plan on buying it until it's on sale anyways. There's usually some kind of discount on AC games around black friday or christmas sales.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
From NeoGAF:

quote:

There are actually three currencies:

HELIX points: Bought with real money. They can be spent on time-saver packs and something called "hackable features". Can't see what these are as the servers aren't up yet.

CREED POINTS: Gained through AC actions (kills, vanishing, objectives). These are spent on new weapons and clothes.

SYNC POINTS: Not sure how you get these, but you use them to unlock new abilities. Most of the standard moveset is now hidden behind an upgrade requirement. Many of them require a specific point in the story to be reached before you can unlock them.

As you might as guessed, the game has an insane number of bars to fill.

I spotted some "premium boosters" which make you harder to detect amongst other things. I suspect these are bought with Helix points, but I'm not sure right now. I was rather overwhelmed with the sheer amount of junk being thrown at me, if I'm honest!

I guess this is why they got removed from Steam.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

'Hackable features' might be in-game cheats from the sound of it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Didn't AC4 sell timesaver packs in the like through microtransactions? How is this different?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Pay $60 worth of asscreed points for the privilege of controlling Desmond's dead cock thrust up Ezio's rotten corpse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

macnbc posted:

Didn't AC4 sell timesaver packs in the like through microtransactions? How is this different?

They must expect the 'hackable features' stuff to be more significant.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Coding women assassins is so difficult they added a donation pan.

Please buy their asscreed points and support ethics in video game paternalism.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Aphrodite posted:

'Hackable features' might be in-game cheats from the sound of it.

Yeah, that's the vibe I get. Infinite health maybe, stuff like that.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, that's the vibe I get. Infinite health maybe, stuff like that.

Didn't this used to be the things you unlocked if you 100%'d a chapter?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Azubah posted:

Yep

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Azubah posted:

Only in a couple of games. Black Flag tied it into overall completion.

If you read that post, it sounds like they might be more like booster packs. So potentially let's say if you're having a hard time getting through the mission and you have some disposable income, you can buy a temporary boost to your stealth or whatnot. Of course, this is giving the benefit of the doubt, but hopefully they're not doing anything stupid like hiding fun poo poo behind a paywall.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

hopefully they're not doing anything stupid like hiding fun poo poo behind a paywall.

Adorable

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Okay so the right thread this time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like a big expansion to the UPlay stuff for the game?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Looks like a big expansion to the UPlay stuff for the game?
The boosts are what you want to look at really

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh I know, I just mean it also looks like they've expanded the actions and rewards quite a bit. It used to be 4 of each.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

When I'm playing next gen Simon says, I really need a gamer boost to get me through the day. Luckily uPlay has me covered with Asscreed juice. Now I have the power to take down the matriarchy.

Thanks uPlay. Suck it down and Game On!

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Ugh, yeah. Just looking at all that makes this game go on the "wait and see" list. Maybe I'll just catch up with IV and give Unity a few months to drop in price...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's strange that they choose to add those in the non-multiplayer one. Are people really that bad at the games?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The uPlay rewards have been in every game since II at least, at the boosts are completely optional. I don't see why this matters at all.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I've updated the Mumble details with my new server on the Group, feel free to put it in the OP.

Additionally, for IV we really struggled to get any games organised with goons, UPlay grouping really is a total piece of poo poo. If anyone can think of a better way (Although you're welcome to idle Mumble and do it that way) let me know!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Daveski posted:

The uPlay rewards have been in every game since II at least, at the boosts are completely optional. I don't see why this matters at all.

The boosts are buyable with real money.

But they're also, like you said, entirely optional, and are only there for the occasional fool who wants to pay money to make the game temporarily easier. It's possible that they then made the game incredibly difficult to force people to buy them, but unless that's the case, yeah, this is so far a thing that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

EDIT: I suppose the system for these buyable bonuses making it so the game isn't available on Steam is a problem, actually. So yeah, that part sucks. But as for the game itself, it doesn't seem all that bad of a system so far.

DOUBLE EDIT: Of course, literally the moment I post that edit, Unity and Far Cry 4 got added back on to Steam, soooo...

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 7, 2014

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Crappy Jack posted:

DOUBLE EDIT: Of course, literally the moment I post that edit, Unity and Far Cry 4 got added back on to Steam, soooo...
Not for the Euros! :(

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Man am I glad I didn't redeem any of my uPlay points for playing Watch Dogs now.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Shockeh posted:

Well, crap, then that's lovely as hell.

Or at least it would be, except that, as an American, I know that Europe is a mythical fantasyland created by Ubisoft to get more locations for videogames.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There's this live thing now: http://www.twitch.tv/assassinscreed

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Well this explains hacks:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

It's strange that they choose to add those in the non-multiplayer one. Are people really that bad at the games?

Never underestimate how terrible some people can be at video games, and how they most likely have more dollars than sense.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I am glad I find the AC games to be almost too easy in a lot of spots so I do not have to spend the cost of the game over several times to complete it in single player.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So it's pay to unlock instead of using in-game currency for cosmetic items.

They actually had that in the other games in their multiplayer.

Also that's an encouraging number of hoods for the customization.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Pay to unlock cosmetic items that give you stat boosts like TF2...a free to play game

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Shockeh posted:

I can definitely see it now in the German Steam store.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Pay to unlock cosmetic items that give you stat boosts like TF2...a free to play game

It looks like you could either pay with in game currency or real money, if I am reading the screenshot right.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

all this poo poo looks stupid and intrusive as gently caress, jesus. it's like the most uplay bonus bullshit they've ever crammed into a game. No wonder the review embargo doesn't lift till the day of release.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

MinibarMatchman posted:

all this poo poo looks stupid and intrusive as gently caress, jesus. it's like the most uplay bonus bullshit they've ever crammed into a game. No wonder the review embargo doesn't lift till the day of release.

Plus theyre forcing UPlay down everyone's throat for launch. It looks like it's listed on Steam, but probably wont be available til months after.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

As ever, review embargo dates don't mean poo poo.

That said, a lot of the UI seems really incredibly awful. The coop health and abilities are intrusive as hell.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

MinibarMatchman posted:

It really isn't, most of it is stuff that has existed in past AC games, and the boosts are for idiots who are bad at video games and can't handle their money. The biggest "red flag," being the cosmetic items, can be gotten by playing the game as you regularly would, at least that's what it looks like from the screenshots.

Also, review embargoes don't mean anything. Plenty of good games have had release day embargoes.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

kinkouin posted:

Plus theyre forcing UPlay down everyone's throat for launch. It looks like it's listed on Steam, but probably wont be available til months after.

It clearly says "Release Date: Nov 11, 2014" on the Steam listing.

Also every Ubisoft game since AC2 has required uPlay, even the Steam versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
The game on the stream is glitching out like mad.

• Locked thread