Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I had a buddy with some kind of small Japanese sedan who had 300k on the clutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
We have a friend who bought a Kia Rio brand new in 2003, 230K or more and it's still on the original clutch.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

FatCow posted:

I had a buddy with some kind of small Japanese sedan who had 300k on the clutch.

When we got rid of my wife's old Protege, it had 280,000 miles on the clock and still had the original clutch.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My 540i has 182k and the original clutch.

(stolen from /justrolledin) content because one of my favorite things is hand tools in tires

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

My 540i has 182k and the original clutch.

(stolen from /justrolledin) content because one of my favorite things is hand tools in tires

It's really cool right now, Mom! Shannon's got one!

It's my body and I can do what I want with it!

You're SO MEAN!!!

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMhLuJnFWfQ

Watch out for rusty frames.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I see what the problem is, they circled it in blue on the back of the truck there..

I was surprised when the truck didn't look like a total and complete shitheap, I was expecting to see a rust bucket, but it doesn't look too bad.

That could have been way more catastrophic than it was but still scary. Check your frames folks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The frame right over the rear shackle hangars and rear crossmember attachment points on a Ranger rusted through?!

WELL I NEVER.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I know its pretty rare isnt it?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

kastein posted:

The frame right over the rear shackle hangars and rear crossmember attachment points on a Ranger rusted through?!

WELL I NEVER.

I remember when my buddy attempted to replace a failing leaf spring on his ancient, free, hand-me-down i4 Ranger. Jesus loving christ the rust.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Saga posted:

I remember when my buddy attempted to replace a failing leaf spring on his ancient, free, hand-me-down i4 Ranger. Jesus loving christ the rust.

They rot pretty loving bad after about 10 years. My dad has a 2000 that he paid way too much for because THE CARFAX WAS CLEAN AND IT HAS FULL DEALER SERVICE RECORDS, IT WAS OWNED BY SOMEONE WHO WAS RELATED TO THE DEALERSHIP OWNER :supaburn:

He tells me this every time I end up working on it.

Things it has needed:
both rear shackle hangars
I have patched the frame where the rear shock mounts go on on both sides because it was badly cracked and about to break in half
the bed has a hole through it the size of a basketball at one of the front mounts (not yet fixed)
I just finished welding a whole new radiator support / front cab crossmember into it because it was so rotted the front two cab mounts were no longer connected, the radiator was hanging from two bolts, and the AC condenser and tranny cooler were free floating.
both front brake hardlines were falling the gently caress apart
tranny cooler lines were drat near junk

Things it still needs:
driver side fender is a lost cause
rust coming through the sides of the bed everywhere
rear frame crossmember is holding on by a thread
battery box looks like a cross between rust and filo dough
aforementioned giant hole in bed
power steering lines are one mouse fart from turning into a cloud of rust chunks
rockers are just about loving gone
... and the persistent misfire on cyl #1 that plugs, wires, and a code clear haven't fixed.

Oh, and while I was taking the fenders and nose off in preparation for the radiator support replacement, I discovered evidence that it has been in at least one unreported collision, probably repaired at the dealer off the books. How's that carfax and dealer repair records thing going for you, dad? :v:

(This is why I say repair records and carfax are useless unless you have your eyes open and know what to look for when shopping for a car.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Carfax is useless for repair records. My 2002 WRX had seen the body shop 5 times in my 13 years of ownership and not one of them showed up on carfax.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Someone pull the carfax on my RS. I've done so much stupid poo poo with that car but I bet the carfax is clean.

:downs:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

bull3964 posted:

Carfax is useless for repair records. My 2002 WRX had seen the body shop 5 times in my 13 years of ownership and not one of them showed up on carfax.

Unless there were police reports involved then it's somewhat unlikely that anything will show up.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
How could all of that poo poo be cheaper than just buying a new truck? I don't think the Barrett Jackson market for numbers matching Ford Rangers will be taking off any time soon.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 7, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 237 days!)

Throatwarbler posted:

How could all of that poo poo be cheaper than just buying a new truck?

Ken breaks into the junkyard at 2am, placates the dogs with various bits of dead animals he hit on the way over, throws it on his 6x6. He then drags it back to his workshop and chews the parts to fit, and uses his own custom made alloy to weld into place with a soldering iron-turned-welder device with a transformer he found sitting atop of a pole.

Basically, he gets the poo poo for (nearly) free. If your labor cost is beer, you don't have a lot of overhead.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 7, 2014

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Viggen posted:

Ken breaks into the junkyard at 2am, placates the dogs with various bits of dead animals he hit on the way over, throws it on his 6x6. He then drags it back to his workshop and chews the parts to fit, and uses his own custom made alloy to weld into place with a soldering iron-turned-welder device with a transformer he found sitting atop of a pole.

Basically, he gets the poo poo for (nearly) free. If your labor cost is beer, you don't have a lot of overhead.

I heard the filler rod were from a dumpster behind a dry cleaners.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 237 days!)

CarForumPoster posted:

I heard the filler rod were from a dumpster behind a dry cleaners.

I heard he makes his own thermite on the spot (if he idles for more than a few seconds), and uses it to mask his getaway. :ssh:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thanks, guys. That made for a food laugh while catching up at lunch. :)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

How could all of that poo poo be cheaper than just buying a new truck? I don't think the Barrett Jackson market for numbers matching Ford Rangers will be taking off any time soon.

The shock mounts were like 25 bucks each, he paid me 200 bucks (I didn't want him to pay me at all, in general I don't charge family unless I absolutely have to to stay alive) to do the frame repair welding. The shackles and shackle hangars were cheap, they were done by the PO as part of the purchase agreement. The front radiator support was like 130, the rest of the poo poo I've done recently might have maybe added up to 500 bucks in parts cost. They're all well known failures for these trucks and buying another one just means you get to deal with another idiot PO's deferred maintenance and another truck's stereotypical Ranger rust damage.

In short, I'm not sure why you're suggesting spending several thousand dollars to buy a new truck, several hundred in sales tax, a hundred or so in excise tax, dealing with a day worth of bullshit at the insurance office and RMV, all to avoid maybe $1k in parts costs and a couple days of repairs to end up with a solid, known-quantity vehicle rather than Someone Else's Problems.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Also good loving luck finding a new small truck in the US.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.
Missing: 1x fuel filter.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

And THAT is why its called a Blazer!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
it's ok as soon as that coolant hose melts it'll put the fire out

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

rscott posted:

it's ok as soon as that coolant hose melts it'll put the fire out

Another crisis solved by General Motors Disasterineering™.

I'm surprised nobody's died at the Epcot Test Track ride yet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One of the more modern ford rangers has the overflow spout on the coolant reservoir pointing directly at the engine ECU so GM aren't alone in this.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The a/c evaporator drain on WJ Jeeps is perfectly horizontal, so if you park on an uphill incline in the right weather, water stagnates in there, moss grows and then fully clogs the drain.

super awesome to have cold mold water dripping in your passenger footwell

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

bull3964 posted:

You had a WRX? learn something new every day

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

The a/c evaporator drain on WJ Jeeps is perfectly horizontal, so if you park on an uphill incline in the right weather, water stagnates in there, moss grows and then fully clogs the drain.

super awesome to have cold mold water dripping in your passenger footwell

Welp, time to start backing my WJ up the driveway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

And THAT is why its called a Blazer!

Should have gone with the water cooled alternator.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

They fixed this on the WK, but the universe must remain in balance — so the gutters and cowl drain empty into the lower fender mounts.

Glorious bubbly cancer even in the arid, road-salt-free Arizona desert.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

One of the more modern ford rangers has the overflow spout on the coolant reservoir pointing directly at the engine ECU so GM aren't alone in this.

Audi in the 80s put their ECUs low enough in the floorboard that leaving the windows rolled down in a rainstorm meant getting a new ECU.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
edit: disregard!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Audi in the 80s put their ECUs low enough in the floorboard that leaving the windows rolled down in a rainstorm meant getting a new ECU.

Audi did than into the early 2000s. B5s had the transmission and comfort control (controls basically everything that isn't engine or transmission) modules in the floor. They also had drains that loved to fill both around the firewall area and the sunroof and soak the front passenger floor.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's far far better than the 80s VW solution of placing it under the brittle, paper thin raintray which was also the same compartment that served as your air intake into the cabin. Nothing is greater then starting your car up in winter, setting the vents to defrost, turning the fan on and getting a face full of snow.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Went out to eat Friday night with my wife. We took her car since it has heat, and when we got home I heard a nice "psshhhh" noise. Driver's side rear tire was leaking air fast. Took the tire off and had Firestone look at it yesterday. This was lodged in my wife's basically brand new tire:

And since I bought them with cash from where my brother-in-law used to work, there's no warranty. $90 for a new tire :argh:

The amount of luck it takes to hit that piece of metal just right to lodge it in my tire astounds me. Why can't I have such luck with the lottery!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

QuarkMartial posted:

Went out to eat Friday night with my wife. We took her car since it has heat, and when we got home I heard a nice "psshhhh" noise. Driver's side rear tire was leaking air fast. Took the tire off and had Firestone look at it yesterday. This was lodged in my wife's basically brand new tire:

And since I bought them with cash from where my brother-in-law used to work, there's no warranty. $90 for a new tire :argh:

The amount of luck it takes to hit that piece of metal just right to lodge it in my tire astounds me. Why can't I have such luck with the lottery!

It seems you might have pissed off the fellow that makes dog-tags... beware!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Welp, time to start backing my WJ up the driveway.

Nah, go to the junkyard, grab a front CCV elbow hose off the top of the valve cover on any 4.0L WJ, and stick it on the HEVAC box condensate drain, which is on the firewall close to the passenger upper control arm mount. Aim it down.

It will still collect a little moisture in there, but it won't pour out the drain then backflow along the outside of the drain and down into the passenger compartment through the (probably decomposed by now, especially in arizona) firewall gasketing foam. Did this a year and a half ago on a coworker's WJ and she hasn't had a single bit of moisture ingress since then. There was two inches of standing water on the floorboard when we pulled it to dry it out and look for a coolant leak.

This is one of those things where they saved a step at the factory and a 20 cent part because it wasn't strictly necessary on a young vehicle with a new foam gasket, but becomes an issue after the gasket gets old and creaky. rear end in a top hat bean counters.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

kastein posted:

They rot pretty loving bad after about 10 years. My dad has a 2000 that he paid way too much for because THE CARFAX WAS CLEAN AND IT HAS FULL DEALER SERVICE RECORDS, IT WAS OWNED BY SOMEONE WHO WAS RELATED TO THE DEALERSHIP OWNER :supaburn:

He tells me this every time I end up working on it.

Things it has needed:
both rear shackle hangars
I have patched the frame where the rear shock mounts go on on both sides because it was badly cracked and about to break in half
the bed has a hole through it the size of a basketball at one of the front mounts (not yet fixed)
I just finished welding a whole new radiator support / front cab crossmember into it because it was so rotted the front two cab mounts were no longer connected, the radiator was hanging from two bolts, and the AC condenser and tranny cooler were free floating.
both front brake hardlines were falling the gently caress apart
tranny cooler lines were drat near junk

Things it still needs:
driver side fender is a lost cause
rust coming through the sides of the bed everywhere
rear frame crossmember is holding on by a thread
battery box looks like a cross between rust and filo dough
aforementioned giant hole in bed
power steering lines are one mouse fart from turning into a cloud of rust chunks
rockers are just about loving gone
... and the persistent misfire on cyl #1 that plugs, wires, and a code clear haven't fixed.

Oh, and while I was taking the fenders and nose off in preparation for the radiator support replacement, I discovered evidence that it has been in at least one unreported collision, probably repaired at the dealer off the books. How's that carfax and dealer repair records thing going for you, dad? :v:

(This is why I say repair records and carfax are useless unless you have your eyes open and know what to look for when shopping for a car.)

...meanwhile my 1991 Ranger that I dragged out of a friends field back in 2001 and have washed less than a dozen times since has a bit of bubbling around the windshield trim and surface rust on the aftermarket fender I was too lazy to paint.

You guys really need to learn the value of the fly and ride. Just think of how much easier it is to look at a used vehicle and the only things you have to worry about is crash damage and maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
I probably posted this long ago, but all this rusty Rangerchat reminded me of a piece of poo poo one of our co-ops drove daily in 2009/2010:

Why's that bedliner so... oh. :magical: