Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

CaptainCrunch posted:

I'm visually oriented. I want pictures WITH text. Not just one or the other. I want to organize it the way I see fit. Not merely alphabetically or whatever other ordering scheme the coder sperged about. I want Pulse from early 2013 back.

Any ideas at all?

Tons were already recommended in the thread, but as an Android refugee I still use Google Play Newsstand on iOS. It's a little clunky to add and organize the feeds in My Library, but I think you'd be able to do what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Trying out Minuum and my friend asked me if I was drunk. "Starting out your day right, eh?" :v:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Bummey posted:

Is there any keyboard with similar functionality to the jailbreak tweak swipe selection? The apple loupe is really tedious for making minor corrections and moving the text cursor around.

Nope. You're stuck with that dumb idea of a function until you jailbreak again.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
App recommendation please: I need to draw on photos. Scribbles, arrows, circles etc. That's it, nothing fancy.

e: iPhone app

Peteyfoot fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 6, 2014

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

terre packet posted:

App recommendation please: I need to draw on photos. Scribbles, arrows, circles etc. That's it, nothing fancy.

e: iPhone app

I just used You Doodle the other night for this.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Skitch is made exactly for that.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
With Swype is there a way to make it so their little logo is the globe like it is on most keyboards? Or a way to switch between keyboards easily? Changing languages seems like it is going to be a pain compared to swift key. Don't want to have to open the little press and hold menu every time.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

Skitch is made exactly for that.

This is perfect. Thanks.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

tuyop posted:

Yeah, check like five posts back. Three have been mentioned: reeder, unread, and feedly. I use feedly. It's good.

Well, I did specifically say I didn't care for Feedly or the others. Which is why I was making a specific inquiry.

onionradish posted:

You might look at Newsify.
Thank you! So far, that is looking good!

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

cletus42o posted:

I installed Transit after seeing it mentioned in this thread, but the widget never works. I'm in NYC so there are plenty of trains around me. It either shows nothing at all (just the header for the "Nearby Lines" widget, with nothing underneath it before my next widget), or was showing "Unable to Load" before.

The widget has only worked for me once. There have been a few patches that supposedly fix issues, but it hasn't helped me yet. I also just tried reinstalling. Otherwise I like the app, but wish there was a good offline mode.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

It works consistently for me in San Francisco, but sometimes the widget needs a little time to actually update - otherwise it shows its last known times.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So iTunes sync with the 6+ seems to be a goddamn trainwreck, it hangs a lot, and itunes now thinks I have 50 gigs of "other" content on my 2 day old phone.

Is this something exciting and new for the 6+? Syncing with my iPod classic years ago was much faster and more stable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

tuyop posted:

FY because I GM Evernote. :colbert:

Hey! Hey -- don't blame me for your poor life choices!

j/k -- I would rock Evernote if it supported the Bamboo API and if I didn't have to share notebooks with my coworkers who are hooked into OneNote.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Thirst Mutilator posted:

It works consistently for me in San Francisco, but sometimes the widget needs a little time to actually update - otherwise it shows its last known times.

Sort of the same here in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Widget works like a charm most all the time.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Microsoft Suite apps no longer require a 365 subscription to edit documents, so grab them for free now, Access seems to be the only exception.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Hey! Hey -- don't blame me for your poor life choices!

j/k -- I would rock Evernote if it supported the Bamboo API and if I didn't have to share notebooks with my coworkers who are hooked into OneNote.

Having stylus support right in the app would be pretty good, and I'm often jealous of onenote's document editing, but the search in Evernote won me over a few years ago and I imagine it would be a nightmare to switch now.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Microsoft Suite apps no longer require a 365 subscription to edit documents, so grab them for free now, Access seems to be the only exception.

It's one of those "free as beer" situations. MacWorld has a good write up about which features are blocked or missing in the free version:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2844476/office-goes-free-on-phones-and-tablets-what-you-get-and-what-you-dont.html

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

You Am I posted:

It's one of those "free as beer" situations. MacWorld has a good write up about which features are blocked or missing in the free version:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2844476/office-goes-free-on-phones-and-tablets-what-you-get-and-what-you-dont.html

At the very least you can still edit words/fonts and such, which is pretty much all I'd expect on an iPhone. The iPad version may be useful with the expanded options.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Do I need the Office Mobile application in addition to Microsoft Word app?

vv thank you

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 7, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Office Mobile is superseded by the individual apps.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Is there any chance of Google Keyboard coming to iOS?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Donald Kimball posted:

Is there any chance of Google Keyboard coming to iOS?

Yes!

Is there a good chance? Who knows!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Trying out Minuum and my friend asked me if I was drunk. "Starting out your day right, eh?" :v:
If you want a small keyboard Fleksy's small size is basically the same height as Minuum's mini mode and works better personally. Not that it doesn't have it's own set of weird bugs.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
gently caress 3rd party keyboards, bugs or not Apple's reigns supreme.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The Google keyboard is superior to all keyboards.

e: Actually, the HTC variation of the Google keyboard is superior to all keyboards.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

noirstronaut posted:

e: Actually, the HTC variation of the Google keyboard is superior to all keyboards.

Havn't seen it, will test if/when it arrives.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah pretty much. After using Swype for a month now I'm completely fed up with it. I'd say at least once a day I open messages or mail and the keyboard just doesn't show up, and the only way to show a keyboard is to force quit the app. Plus Swype has a bunch of ridiculous little foibles, like you can't type " :)", you have to either do a double-space or no space at all (or use the ugly-rear end emoji which I really hate). And it feels like half the time when I need to re-type part of a word it automatically inserts spaces where I don't want them.

And of course the keys are smaller than the default iOS keys (especially the backspace key), so I constantly mis-type when I'm not swiping, and my backspaces usually just end up as "see you layterllllllllll" :argh:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Bummey posted:

Is there any keyboard with similar functionality to the jailbreak tweak swipe selection? The apple loupe is really tedious for making minor corrections and moving the text cursor around.

The app store version of iKeywi has that functionality but it does have some other flaws and bugs that can make it infuriating to use unfortunately.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

These flaws are all Apple's bugs in iOS8, nothing the 3rd party keyboard suppliers can do.

I just want the default keyboard, plus a full size number row, plus all the symbols reorganised to fit on 2 screens.

nKey gets close to this, but for some reason squishes the keyboard down to fit in the same space as the default 'board.

I could give up the number row, if the long press functionality could be changed to match android (every letter key has a number or symbol available via long press).

For English users, the numbers of times anyone should want to type a ö or å is ~zero, so the default is hugely, needlessly inefficient.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

wooger posted:

These flaws are all Apple's bugs in iOS8, nothing the 3rd party keyboard suppliers can do.

Sorry don't buy it.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Sorry don't buy it.

well, the keyboard disappearing thing happens (very rarely) with Swiftkey as well.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sorry don't buy it.

It's a buggy new OS feature, one of many in iOS8. My air 2 currently has the default keyboard stuck in portrait in spotlight & has rebooted several times, this is easily the buggiest iOS release ever.

I've tried a bunch of third party keyboards, all have these common bugs. What do you think is a reasonable explanation?

Either the OS is perfect and every keyboard dev has produced the same bugs, or the keyboard API is buggy.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Sorry don't buy it.

Yeah, that makes sense considering the fact that almost every single keyboard that requires "Full Access" suffers from the same bugs. But it's not Apple's API problem, it's third party developers.

:rolleyes:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Legs Benedict posted:

Yeah, that makes sense considering the fact that almost every single keyboard that requires "Full Access" suffers from the same bugs. But it's not Apple's API problem, it's third party developers.

:rolleyes:

It is 3rd party devs.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

noirstronaut posted:

Honestly I struggle to think of a worse keyboard than htcs. Just another element of Android they pointlessly developed their own version of without providing any real benefit back to the user.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I recently moved to Dallas, and my apple maps really aren't accurate here. I constantly get sent to the wrong place, like sending me to Jack in the Box when I try to find that airport, or taking me to a vacant lot instead of the bank.

Is Google Maps any better? What map apps work well besides the default apple map?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The usual argument for Apple Maps v. anything else is that YMMV.

It's generally accepted that Google Maps' POI is much more accurate but Apple Maps will still take you to the correct location if you have an address.

Some people like Waze for its user-reported events. Some of these are imported into GMaps (since Google bought Waze).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Google Maps is great, but not flawless (it does give you the option to submit corrections though, which are usually fixed within a day or two) and it just got an update that makes it look and run way better.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I recently moved to Dallas, and my apple maps really aren't accurate here. I constantly get sent to the wrong place, like sending me to Jack in the Box when I try to find that airport, or taking me to a vacant lot instead of the bank.

Is Google Maps any better? What map apps work well besides the default apple map?

On at least three different iPhones Apple Maps has directed me the opposite direction on I-35, every single time. The map will show the correct path, but the detailed list and voice will say South instead of North, and vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
iOS 8 Safari deleted all my bookmarks for no reason.