Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

LiquidFriend posted:

Could just play on a 75 cap private server I guess.

Did S-E completely remove the ability to pay for crysta via paypal?

It was never directly via paypal. They removed PlaySpan because they got rid of the Ultimate Game Card. They're adding in a direct Paypal option, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
So been thinking coming back to the game so that I can finally start finishing up the main stories up to Wing of the Goddess (despite owning SoA), I think last I played was a month before SoA's release and I had just done Maat fight Limit break fight against him with my main character who's a SAM/DNC.

However I have no idea how exp parties currentely work at that level, before that I used to mainly do Crawler's Nest parties and wonder if it's now easy/difficult to find one for level 75+ to 90-99. Also wondering if goons are still active.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
With the Trust system, which is basically the ability to summon your own party, exp parties have pretty much been replaced by soloing, at least from 1-30. Past 30, Abyssea leveling is even faster than it was before, and you don't have to pay people for it. Just grab some willing 99's and head over to Misareaux Coast, there is often a party there anyway. Knock out 30-99 in an evening if you're lucky.

I've been pretty happy with how active goons are. There's always a handful of people on the Getout linkshell, at least when I play. Although I'm going to be a -1 to that number for the most part the next week or so, since my laptop is almost dead and I'm waiting on a new computer.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

BobbyBaudoin posted:

So been thinking coming back to the game so that I can finally start finishing up the main stories up to Wing of the Goddess (despite owning SoA), I think last I played was a month before SoA's release and I had just done Maat fight Limit break fight against him with my main character who's a SAM/DNC.

However I have no idea how exp parties currentely work at that level, before that I used to mainly do Crawler's Nest parties and wonder if it's now easy/difficult to find one for level 75+ to 90-99. Also wondering if goons are still active.

Exp parties are harder to come by and only in certain areas. For the most part people level solo with three of their trust npcs helping them level. You do field/ground manual pages = Records of Eminence quests for exp and sparks. Sparks can be turned into a Sparks NPC for certain items. Your best bet is to check out what bgwiki has to say about records of eminence and trust npcs. That should help you out. There are exp parties in abyssea, but you need to be at least level 30. Just be careful of aggro. Raptors aggro on sight, not sure if they aggro on scent.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Doctor Soup posted:

With the Trust system, which is basically the ability to summon your own party, exp parties have pretty much been replaced by soloing, at least from 1-30. Past 30, Abyssea leveling is even faster than it was before, and you don't have to pay people for it. Just grab some willing 99's and head over to Misareaux Coast, there is often a party there anyway. Knock out 30-99 in an evening if you're lucky.

I've been pretty happy with how active goons are. There's always a handful of people on the Getout linkshell, at least when I play. Although I'm going to be a -1 to that number for the most part the next week or so, since my laptop is almost dead and I'm waiting on a new computer.

If you can, try to get that laptop fixed. Laptops are great for when you have to poop and you do not want to risk dropping your phone in the toilet.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

The graphics card is what's failing, and it's soldered to the motherboard in a really awkward way. I'm playing on a Macbook Pro with Bootcamp, which is a mistake I'll never make again since it's caused no end of bugs and crashes since I got it. Just terrible driver support.

I've ordered parts for a new desktop, and I'm going to pair it with a less expensive laptop when I can find a good deal on one.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Whenever anyone talks about the goonshell being a good place/goons being active, I pretty much just all assume you're talking about me. You're all too kind!

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

A.G.Pennypacker posted:

Whenever anyone talks about the goonshell being a good place/goons being active, I pretty much just all assume you're talking about me. You're all too kind!

I think they are just trying to get people to join the goonshell. There is no reason why you should not join the Goonshell. FFXI allows you to join as many LS as you want. You just need to sacrifice 1 inventory slot per linkpearl. SE said they were going to allow people to be in two LS at once, so if that ever happens, I bet the goonshell will get a few more goony goons.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

Just waiting on the case and motherboard for my new PC and I'll have a non-broken computer again.

Then I'll get to reinstall everything! :shepicide:

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Gruknor posted:

I think they are just trying to get people to join the goonshell. There is no reason why you should not join the Goonshell. FFXI allows you to join as many LS as you want. You just need to sacrifice 1 inventory slot per linkpearl. SE said they were going to allow people to be in two LS at once, so if that ever happens, I bet the goonshell will get a few more goony goons.

They're adding server wide teams without member caps with their own chat channel, so that's pretty awesome.

Zombie Souffle
Feb 3, 2010
Hey Hacken, just use Windower if you're on a windows machine instead of messing with the FFXI native windowed mode. It works a helluva lot better and fixes everything for you.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks for the tip, I had no idea it would be this much better. Any quality-of-life mods you'd recommend other than gearswap?

arkma
May 30, 2001
I have a random assortment of things cluttering up my storage that I'd like to put to good use, namely: full sky-god pop set, adl pop set, and an ark pentasphere (pop for original Divine Might). If any of these things are appealing to you, hit me up in-game. And while I am at it: I am jonesing for some slither gloves +1 (I'll pay higher than current market value).

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/44947

SE released the final rewards for complating SOA, your choice of one of twelve different ridiculous rings.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Those reward rings are all absolutely insane for how easy the missions are to do.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Those rings are totally ridiculous.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Sweet jesus Regain+5 on that one

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
The game's certainly come a long way from these days...

I wonder, how many days do you think it would take to patch that install via POL?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Cuchulain posted:

Sweet jesus Regain+5 on that one

since they changed TP by bumping it back a decimal place, that ring is only really .5 a tic.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Update is out! Changes include no potency boosts to most(all?) Avatar's favor effects...
Pearle, teal and pink sets +1 (not ilvl!), and accidentally changing your linkshell/pearlsack into a pearl! Enjoy!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Wow, it seems like SOA finished up fairly fast. Then again, maybe that's just because ToAU and WoTG took years to finish.

I wonder if they're going to do another expansion next year. I would really go for finally getting to Tenzen's homeland after they've hinted at it since like, Zilart. That, or going further west and doing like, a Wild Arms style wild west expansion would be rad as gently caress.

Merz
Sep 20, 2006
Tell Me, What Is the Bane of Your Life
Can I get a pearl from someone? I am Dedekind, in game now :D

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Come to Asura and join the reddit linkshell mate. :cheers:

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
As cool as the build up to the last boss was, and with how the 3 fights previous were actually sort of difficult (Is the poison boss the first time they've ever done damage pools in a BC?), I have to say I'm really disappointed in those final 2 fights. The first one I just whittled down solo on my paladin, and the second one I had someone heal the princess every now and then when it did the hate reset move but that was it. IRL Dracula did all the heavy lifting :( I don't think I was even in the yellow at any point aside from when he would put weakness on me.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Male of the Century posted:

As cool as the build up to the last boss was, and with how the 3 fights previous were actually sort of difficult (Is the poison boss the first time they've ever done damage pools in a BC?), I have to say I'm really disappointed in those final 2 fights. The first one I just whittled down solo on my paladin, and the second one I had someone heal the princess every now and then when it did the hate reset move but that was it. IRL Dracula did all the heavy lifting :( I don't think I was even in the yellow at any point aside from when he would put weakness on me.

I really hope they do a sort of hardmode version of some of these fights for chances at more rings.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Maybe I'll resub for November so I can get Lion and\or Aldo. SE you fiends.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Maybe I'll resub for November so I can get Lion and\or Aldo. SE you fiends.

There's a free login campaign going on, all accounts are active.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

There's a free login campaign going on, all accounts are active.

Hell yeah. $12 less to spend.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

Yo, why did the linkshell break?

e: Apparently just SE being SE.

Doctor Soup fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 26, 2014

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
[dev1242] Job Adjustments

The following jobs will undergo adjustments.

Summoner

New blood pacts will be added.

Blood Pact: Ward: Pacifying Ruby (Lv.99)
Reduces Enmity of target party member.

Blood Pact: Rage: Conflagration Strike (Lv.99)
Deals fire elemental damage. Additional effect: Burn.

Blood Pact: Rage: Crag Throw (Lv.99)
Delivers a ranged attack that slows target.

Blood Pact: Ward: Soothing Current (Lv.99)
Increases potency of cure effects received for party members within area of effect.

Blood Pact: Ward: Hastega II (Lv.99)
Gives party members within area of effect the effect of “Haste.”

Blood Pact: Ward: Crystalline Blessing (Lv.99)
Confers a TP bonus on party members within area of effect.

Blood Pact: Rage: Volt Strike (Lv.99)
Delivers a threefold attack that stuns target.

Blue Mage

New blue magic spells are learnable.

Molting Plumage (Lv.99 Recast time: 25 sec.)
Deals wind elemental damage in a fan-shaped area originating from caster.

Nectarous Deluge (Lv.99 Recast time: 45 sec.)
Deals water elemental damage to enemies within range. Additional effect: Poison.

Sweeping Gouge (Lv.99 Recast time: 120 sec.)
Delivers a twofold attack. Additional effect: Paralysis. Additional effect duration varies with TP.

Atramentous Libations (Lv.99 Recast time: 180 sec.)
Steals HP from enemies within range. Ineffective against undead.

Puppetmaster

The animations and animation lock for maneuvers will be removed.

The harlequin frame and stormwaker frame weapon attributes will be changed from hand-to-hand to blunt.

Weapon skills will undergo the following adjustments.

The potency of the following weapon skills will be increased.
Dancing Edge / Shark Bite / Evisceration / Mercy Stroke / Mordant Rime /
Pyrrhic Kleos / Rudra's Storm / Vorpal Blade / Savage Blade /
Knights of Round / Death Blossom / Expiacion / Rampage / Calamity /
Mistral Axe / Decimation / Onslaught / Bora Axe / Ruinator / Blade: Jin /
Blade : Ku / Blade: Metsu / Blade: Kamu / Blade : Hi / Blade: Shun /
True Strike / Judgement / Hexastrike / Black Halo / Randgrith /
Realmrazer / Exenterator / Chant du Cygne

The TP Bonuses for the following weapons will be increased.
Mandalic Stab / Rudra’s Storm / Savage Blade / Expiacion / Calamity /
Mistral Axe / Blade: Ten / Judgement / Black Halo / Mystic Boon

Bonuses for the following weapon skills that only applied at initial ranks will now be applied to all ranks.
Dancing Edge / Evisceration / Pyrrhic Kleos / Vorpal Blade / Swift Blade /
Rampage / Decimation / Blade: Jin / Blade: Ku / Hexastrike / Exenterator /
Chant du Cygne

The maximum accuracy of one-handed weapons equipped as the main weapon will be increased from 95% to 99%.

The maximum accuracy of familiars summoned with Call Beast, wyverns, avatars, and automatons will be increased from 95% to 99%.

New food that increases both player and familiar accuracy will be added.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm really excited for some of those WS updates.

Rudra's is already bonkers in some situations, surprised it's on the list.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I reupped my XIV sub two days ago and I'm already missing Beastmaster and Blue mage from my FFXI days.

I was never good at MMOs/XI but with the help of some random guild I managed to level up a bit. Nowadays, how long do you think it'd take me to relearn the game and get back to BLU? I really, really liked the Aht Urghan content and I sorta want to replay it if it's at all feasible and won't take me a million years of boring grind.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

You can get 99 in a day now. Doing the caps is the most annoying part, but if you are already 75 it's less hassle.

Getting BLU spells will also be annoying, but more in a time sink sense.

Current content is nothing like Aht Urghan content unfortunately. But with the new level caps thats all soloable and fun to go back to. So if you really liked that era you can go relive all of Salvage, Assaults, and the missions solo without a problem. Especially as BLU.

Overall the game is really accessible now. You can do a ton solo/low man.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

You can get 99 in a day now. Doing the caps is the most annoying part, but if you are already 75 it's less hassle.

Getting BLU spells will also be annoying, but more in a time sink sense.

Current content is nothing like Aht Urghan content unfortunately. But with the new level caps thats all soloable and fun to go back to. So if you really liked that era you can go relive all of Salvage, Assaults, and the missions solo without a problem. Especially as BLU.

Overall the game is really accessible now. You can do a ton solo/low man.

Seriously?!

I remember when getting to 30 was like a 3 week experience. Is it mostly through questing now or is the mob grind just ridiculously quick? I'm not super up to date on any of the Abyssea content or anything after it.

Have there been any significant changes to Beastmaster? Because I really liked Beastmaster as well.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Abyssea is where you will level super fast. Unfortunately the parties there aren't quite as common. But you'll see a shout most nights and can get in as a keyer.

Be sure to read this guide: http://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Returning_to_Vana%27diel
There is tons of info for a returning player. The most important thing is to start your Abyssea stone count by talking to the NPC. You'll be pretty limited the first day or 2 till you squire some stones.

2nd be sure to activate your Records of Eminence quests. You'll need the currency (Sparks) to get your first set of real gear once you hit 99.

3rd, get some Trusts. These are NPCs that join your party so you can solo most of the game. Once you have these you can solo till you manage to score a spot in an Abyssea party and then fly up.

Once you get an Abyssea party, if you aren't 75 you'll be expected to be a keyer. To key you spend currency(Cruor), obtained in Abyssea from mobs like exp, to buy keys. You use these keys to open chests which give everyone a bonus to exp and cruor amoung other things. Since you wont have currency at the start just go there and leech for 30min or so. Then you can run back and buy keys and be productive.
If you are 75, just join as a DD and fight what everyone else does. This would be ideal so you can skillup as you level. Be sure to unlock the 75 cap quest so you can get 80. Then every 5 levels cap your merits as well as exp, warp out and do the next level cap. They are all easy (merits and seals which you get exping, ask to lot them), till 95 which you will need help for. Be sure to cap merits each time and after you do the cap quest spend any extra merits and head back to the party. The reason you do this is exp comes in exponentially in Abyssea, so the longer you are there the faster it is. It's more efficient to cap merits and spend em every time.

If you are on Quetz feel free to send me a tell in game, my name is Tanag, and I can explain anything else. I'm usually busy when I am on though so I won't be able to just carry you through content :( I can help with the 95 cap though.

Good luck!

Edit: Beastmaster is more or less the same, except they rely on jug pets now instead of charming. So you just buy the jugs you need. Charming has basically fallen off as mobs in new areas aren't charmable.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, thanks! That guide is perfect for me.

I'm gonna look into reupping soon then. Exciting!

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Abyssea is where you will level super fast. Unfortunately the parties there aren't quite as common. But you'll see a shout most nights and can get in as a keyer.

Be sure to read this guide: http://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Returning_to_Vana%27diel
There is tons of info for a returning player. The most important thing is to start your Abyssea stone count by talking to the NPC. You'll be pretty limited the first day or 2 till you squire some stones.

2nd be sure to activate your Records of Eminence quests. You'll need the currency (Sparks) to get your first set of real gear once you hit 99.

3rd, get some Trusts. These are NPCs that join your party so you can solo most of the game. Once you have these you can solo till you manage to score a spot in an Abyssea party and then fly up.

Once you get an Abyssea party, if you aren't 75 you'll be expected to be a keyer. To key you spend currency(Cruor), obtained in Abyssea from mobs like exp, to buy keys. You use these keys to open chests which give everyone a bonus to exp and cruor amoung other things. Since you wont have currency at the start just go there and leech for 30min or so. Then you can run back and buy keys and be productive.
If you are 75, just join as a DD and fight what everyone else does. This would be ideal so you can skillup as you level. Be sure to unlock the 75 cap quest so you can get 80. Then every 5 levels cap your merits as well as exp, warp out and do the next level cap. They are all easy (merits and seals which you get exping, ask to lot them), till 95 which you will need help for. Be sure to cap merits each time and after you do the cap quest spend any extra merits and head back to the party. The reason you do this is exp comes in exponentially in Abyssea, so the longer you are there the faster it is. It's more efficient to cap merits and spend em every time.

If you are on Quetz feel free to send me a tell in game, my name is Tanag, and I can explain anything else. I'm usually busy when I am on though so I won't be able to just carry you through content :( I can help with the 95 cap though.

Good luck!

Edit: Beastmaster is more or less the same, except they rely on jug pets now instead of charming. So you just buy the jugs you need. Charming has basically fallen off as mobs in new areas aren't charmable.

you don't even need an abyssea pt anymore to go from like 10 up, you can join a SOA JP farmer and rake in exp via records of emminence.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006
[dev1243] New Job Enhancements: Gifts
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/45235

Basically, after you spend a certain amount of Job Points, you get some kinda bonus to that job. Some are shared, like spend 5 Job Points in total and you get a 5% to Capacity Points gained. Some are unique to the job like enhancing traits or bonuses skill. The interesting one is Superior 1, which let's you equip items marked as Superior 1 (Su1).

[dev1244] New Linkshell and Log Window Functions
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/45258

You can equip two linkshells and you can have two separate chat windows up. The example has one window with party chat and another one below it the combat log.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

Two linkshells at once is great news. The one-linkshell limitation was a real casual chat killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I like how the gifts go completely against the original casual idea of job points. Oh SE!