Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So apparently my iTunes sync spiral of DOOM lead to there being no media on my phone and 43 gigs of "other" data. It's been a while since I've been in the iOS world, is this just a backup/restore scenario to fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Mega congrats for outing yourself after you've been outer, sir Tim of cookistan

Sturdy
Apr 24, 2008

After a 3 week wait my 6 has finally shipped. Assuming there won't be any unforseen tragedies over the pacific, it should be here on monday. Can anyone recommend a good slim fit case? I'm looking for something that provides decent protection for someone who is not prone to dropping their phone.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

Sturdy posted:

After a 3 week wait my 6 has finally shipped. Assuming there won't be any unforseen tragedies over the pacific, it should be here on monday. Can anyone recommend a good slim fit case? I'm looking for something that provides decent protection for someone who is not prone to dropping their phone.

The apple leather case is about as slim as you are going to get. Looks and feels great, basically seems like part of the phone now. Sufficient coverage to save the screen in the event of a drop.

BrandonLakeTruck
Jan 10, 2004
dog poster its a hell of a ride
T-Mobile website lied to me and said it would take 6 weeks to get an iPhone 6 and now it will be here on the 11th of November which is like 5 weeks early. I hate being lied to. :bang:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I want to get a load of photos taken with my old iPhone (backed up to a folder on my PC) onto my new iPhone (set up as new, not restored) with no loss of quality. I can't do this over the internet (e.g. PhotoStream for Windows) as I have about a gigabyte of photos and my internet connection at home is utter garbage.

Does anyone have experience with PhotoSync? Ideally I don't want anything saved onto my phone this way to jump straight on into PhotoStream since they're already in my PhotoStream folder on my iPad (I thought anything in there would've transfered to any new device I sign in to, but I guess not!)

In theory the iCloud Drive photo stuff would be good, but the fact that it counts towards my 5GB storage would basically mean I couldn't back up my iPhone any more (I don't even have enough space to back up both my iPhone and iPad to iCloud as it is!)

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Sturdy posted:

I'm waiting for a lifeproof case to come out since I need waterproofing, in the meantime I picked up a zoogue social pro case to hold me over until they come out, I'm really happy with it.

http://www.zoogue.com/iphone-6-case-social-pro/

Adds a good amount of grip to the phone and doesn't bulk it up much at all. The "dry ice" color looks great on the gold phones.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I want to get a load of photos taken with my old iPhone (backed up to a folder on my PC) onto my new iPhone (set up as new, not restored) with no loss of quality. I can't do this over the internet (e.g. PhotoStream for Windows) as I have about a gigabyte of photos and my internet connection at home is utter garbage.

Does anyone have experience with PhotoSync? Ideally I don't want anything saved onto my phone this way to jump straight on into PhotoStream since they're already in my PhotoStream folder on my iPad (I thought anything in there would've transfered to any new device I sign in to, but I guess not!)

In theory the iCloud Drive photo stuff would be good, but the fact that it counts towards my 5GB storage would basically mean I couldn't back up my iPhone any more (I don't even have enough space to back up both my iPhone and iPad to iCloud as it is!)

Pay $1.99 and subscribe for a month of 20GB iCoud storage, back up old phone and photos, download to new phone via iCloud, cancel iCloud subscription?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I'm a big fan of photosync.

It sounds like you want to go iPhone to iPhone? It has the capability to do it, but I haven't tried it in awhile because I can use AirDrop. I understand that may not be an option for you.

I guess my only concern would be ensuring it adds the photos to the camera roll, and not the apps data folder. I'd test it but I don't have time right now, sorry. It definitely will not degrade quality, no worries there.

Photosync has been great for sending photos to my computer. It's become the way I do it now for a long time.

edit: Tested this by sending some of those big 20MB tiff files from the 645 Pro app we talked about last week to my iPad and it adds the photos to the Camera Roll and they're full resolution. Really useful app for pre-AirDrop phones, but perhaps less useful with iCloud Photos. With that said, I still use it as the primary way to send photos to my computer, like I said. Works great.

decypher fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 7, 2014

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

decypher posted:

I'm a big fan of photosync.

It sounds like you want to go iPhone to iPhone? It has the capability to do it, but I haven't tried it in awhile because I can use AirDrop. I understand that may not be an option for you.

I guess my only concern would be ensuring it adds the photos to the camera roll, and not the apps data folder. I'd test it but I don't have time right now, sorry. It definitely will not degrade quality, no worries there.

Photosync has been great for sending photos to my computer. It's become the way I do it now for a long time.
I sold off the old iPhone so it's PC to iPhone for now - I know there's iTunes' in built photo syncing but I want to see if there's any more flexible options that don't put the photos in a separate folder from everything else.

Putting the photos in the camera roll is actually exactly what I want - I want the pics there as if they'd been taken with this phone so it's accessible from apps that use the camera roll. I'll give it a shot next time I'm at my PC - thanks! :)

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I sold off the old iPhone so it's PC to iPhone for now - I know there's iTunes' in built photo syncing but I want to see if there's any more flexible options that don't put the photos in a separate folder from everything else.

Putting the photos in the camera roll is actually exactly what I want - I want the pics there as if they'd been taken with this phone so it's accessible from apps that use the camera roll. I'll give it a shot next time I'm at my PC - thanks! :)

That's what happens when I write before coffee, I'm sorry.

PhotoSync will do this, too! Just tested. Sounds like it'll do exactly what you want. Even better is they have an OSX and Windows client.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

So apparently my iTunes sync spiral of DOOM lead to there being no media on my phone and 43 gigs of "other" data. It's been a while since I've been in the iOS world, is this just a backup/restore scenario to fix?

Yup.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why don't you just drag and drop? You can do that with photos.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So uh, how do I activate my iphone 6 plus for AT&T via itunes? I plugged it in, went through the startup process, and restored my backup from my 5, but it still has no service and my 5 does. It never gave me a prompt for my number or anything.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Turn both off, then turn your 6 on? I seem to remember that being necessary.

e: more specifically, the carriers will only let one phone on their network if you only have one line, and the 5 holds that line unless it's off when the 6 goes to connect.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I've literally never had to do that on AT&T, and within minutes of activating through iTunes I had service on my new phone and my old one just went to "no service." Literally the same way when I went from my 4 to my 5, and from my 5 to my 6.

That being said, I never bothered restoring from an iTunes backup, only did iCloud restores both times.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, turning the 5 off and restarting the 6 did nothing, restarting it again.

EDIT: no dice, turned the 5 back on and it still has service.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 7, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe call ATT and ask or live chat on their website? When I upgraded nothing had to be turned off and when the change was made old phone just had no service.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Bottom Liner posted:

So uh, how do I activate my iphone 6 plus for AT&T via itunes? I plugged it in, went through the startup process, and restored my backup from my 5, but it still has no service and my 5 does. It never gave me a prompt for my number or anything.

Did you get an email from ATT? There was a link in the email that said my phone shipped to click to activate your new phone and you had to plug in 2 different numbers. The serial and SIM card or some poo poo which you can find under settings on the phone. After that it took almost an hour

-edit yeah just checked it's in the shipment notification email

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

This photosync the app in the store for 2.99 by touchbyte?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, turning the 5 off and restarting the 6 did nothing, restarting it again.

EDIT: no dice, turned the 5 back on and it still has service.

You done hosed up the game son. You were supposed to turn off the old one first, remove da sim card (for good measure), and then turn yur new one on. Since you flipped the script and set it up through itunes you gots to call up at&t and feed em the information on the sim card since you didn't do the process right. If you had, your phone would have had you select your carrier from the jump.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't he just swap SIM cards at this point?

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx

Maneki Neko posted:

I had this issue when I first got my 6. I had to remove and then completely re-upload my music to iTunes. I haven't had a problem since then but gently caress was it annoying.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Anti-Derivative posted:

The apple leather case is about as slim as you are going to get. Looks and feels great, basically seems like part of the phone now. Sufficient coverage to save the screen in the event of a drop.

There are leagues of cases slimmer than the leather one. The leather case is just the nicest looking.

Also, Power Support has their Air Jackets in Apple Stores now for around $30.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if there's a setting for the 6+'s landscape homescreen dock to be switched to the left side of the screen? I'm very left-handed and find it hard to get at my most-used stuff in landscape.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Did no one read my post about activating with ATT?

You don't have to swap anything or take anything out what the gently caress

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lord Lilf posted:

I had this issue when I first got my 6. I had to remove and then completely re-upload my music to iTunes. I haven't had a problem since then but gently caress was it annoying.

I think there's something up with the new version of iTunes or 8.1. I'm constantly losing album art when syncing and only a full restore brings it back. Oh, still on a 5S.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bottom Liner posted:

Dial this AT&T activation number 1-866-499-8008. Takes like two minutes all you do is type in your old number(this is provided you bought your new phone from them and not Apple). You've probably figured it out by now though.

Anyway has anyone on this board got an Otterbox Defender for their 6 plus? All the reviews are saying they hosed it up and the screen protector has a gap.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Christoff posted:

Did you get an email from ATT? There was a link in the email that said my phone shipped to click to activate your new phone and you had to plug in 2 different numbers. The serial and SIM card or some poo poo which you can find under settings on the phone. After that it took almost an hour

-edit yeah just checked it's in the shipment notification email

This worked, but it took them 2 hours to get it activated and I was awkwardly carrying both phones for gps on a motorcycle. loving AT&T. Thanks though!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah it is kind of silly they include it vaguely in the bottom of the notification for shipment. And the part where it asked you to remove your battery to get the HDISKEKKSJSJSwhatverthefuck confused me and I had to google it. Luckily it's under settings but I can only imagine anyone technologically unsavy having difficulties

Anyways yeah it took about 2 hours for me come to think of it and there's no notification of any kind that it went through or is processing or done

Whatever though

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I went to att.com and got a chat window open with a helper who did it in about ten minutes.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I turned my phone on and it worked fine.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

This photosync the app in the store for 2.99 by touchbyte?

Yes.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Bug? Voice memo share options load up empty texts and emails. So you can't actually share from it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Can someone point me to the full size wallpaper for this wallpaper? I've tried reverse image searching the image, to no avail. I lost the full size version when I restored from new :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

bobfather posted:

Can someone point me to the full size wallpaper for this wallpaper? I've tried reverse image searching the image, to no avail. I lost the full size version when I restored from new :(

I tineyed it, which showed it was a crop of a larger image, which i GIS'd, which revealed it was used as an 'explosions in the sky' poster, which led to some japanese site which had...

Click for big.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Awesome, quick response. Thank you!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Ok so I am completely stumped by what's happened to me new 6. I bought it earlier today and was in the process of updating the software. I left it on my desk and when I came back the phone is stuck on the Connect to ITunes screen. I cannot get out of it and have tried holding down the power and home keys to reboot the phone.

Does anyone know what's going on and if there is a fix?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I turned my phone on and it worked fine.

Yeah, honestly I didn't have to do any of that junk. New phone came in mail from Apple, I set it up and restored iTunes backup, and it just had service and my old phone said "No Service."

So if it doesn't work like that, it's probably a gently caress up somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
So at two different places now I've tried to use Apple pay and did the touchID and it says Done but the transaction didn't work. It was like nothing else happened. Did I pull my phone away too quickly or something? One was at PetCo and the other at McDonalds.