Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Eleeleth posted:

So I spent $2 and got this:

Now that I'm home and the 'holy poo poo I got the best deal' is wearing off, I'm not sure what to do with all these.

I obviously must make hot sauce, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what I can use this amount for in a short time without making something ungodly hot.

Freeze the remains. THey keep for a really long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How long will an opened bottle of sherry last? I've found a recipe that needs it but I won't drink it so will cook something else if it needs using in a short space of time

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sherry is a fortified wine so pretty much forever.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Picked some up so thanks. I also got some lamb bones at the supermarket to make lamb stock with. Should I roast the bones first or can I just boil them straight away?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always roast everything first because flava.

Also, you'll want to crack the bigger bones if you can.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yet another question, tomorrow will be my first time deep frying something. Whats the best way to dispose of the oil since pouring it down the sink seems a bad idea? I'm not sure it'll be reusable really.

I'm also going to be doing it in a pan rather than a deep fryer. Planning on frying some cut up pork ribs to finish them off, what temperature should I aim for?

Jose fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 7, 2014

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So I made some tamarind paste from tamarinds, any idea how long it would last? It's pretty sour (duh), but has a consistency that's more like applesauce than a paste. I may try and freeze it in an ice cube tray.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Jose posted:

Yet another question, tomorrow will be my first time deep frying something. Whats the best way to dispose of the oil since pouring it down the sink seems a bad idea? I'm not sure it'll be reusable really.

I'm also going to be doing it in a pan rather than a deep fryer. Planning on frying some cut up pork ribs to finish them off, what temperature should I aim for?
It is reusable, actually. Strain it through a fine mesh strainer, then seal it and put it your fridge (this is what I do). You can use it like 10 times.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Unless you fry fish in it, then it gets pretty stinky after just one use.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Once you're done with the oil, though, you should put it in a container in the trash rather than down the sink--pouring it down the sink is a great way to get a huge fuckin' clog.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Nicol Bolas posted:

Once you're done with the oil, though, you should put it in a container in the trash rather than down the sink--pouring it down the sink is a great way to get a huge fuckin' clog.

Save it and use it for your car.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

goodness posted:

I have been on a salsa kick lately. Love the stuff so much but we just ran out of the canned stuff we got from the gf's mom this summer.

So far I have just been throwing various amounts of tomatoes, onions, peppers, lime, cilantro together. This works great but does anyone have some killer salsa recipes?

p.s. I love spicy food.

Salsa de Arbol, a nice spicy salsa that's great on meats (especially steak tacos or tacos al pastor):

Toast 16-20 (or more, it's your tongue) dried chiles de arbol in a hot dry skillet until aromatic and smoky but not scorched (1 - 2 minutes). If you have a spice grinder, grind into a powder, otherwise soak in a hot water to reconstitute. Reserve.

Meanwhile, roast 2 cloves of garlic, unpeeled, and 6 - 8 tomatillos in your dry skillet until softened and well blistered. The garlic will usually be ready before the tomatillos. You can also do the step over a grill or under your broiler. Alternately, you could boil the tomatillos, but you lose some of that roasted flavor.

Blend all ingredients together with salt to taste until you have a smooth sauce. Adjust to taste with lime and salt. Usually I find the tomatillos are tart enough that I don't need lime juice.

Caution, this is a hot sauce, not really for snacking with chips.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Just FYI there's nothing bad environmentally about pouring it down the drain-the water treatment facility will take it out of suspension and deal with it while putting it a plastic container that will eventually break down and leech it into the ground is at best the same result as the drain but at worst contaminates groundwater.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Clogging your drain sucks though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If you've got modern pipes, oil that is liquid at room temp shouldn't be a problem. If you've got old pipes, I wouldn't risk it.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

I need a beginner's pork frIed rice recipe. I had a party and brined pork chops with with some Asian inspired flavors. Have a few extra that I diced and would go great with fried rice but never done it before so help me out please

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Once my fry oil is no good, I pour it in my jugs with my used motor oil from my cars and then dump it into the oil burner at the parts shop every couple of months.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

If you've got modern pipes, oil that is liquid at room temp shouldn't be a problem. If you've got old pipes, I wouldn't risk it.

Yeah, I just moved out of a 100+ old wood-frame building in Boston where everyone ELSE in the building had dispose-alls and I don't think the plumbing had been updated after my parents were born. Of course, all the foul-smelling grey water backed up into our sink, because we were the first floor apartment. Yes, of course the landlord tried to pin it on us, with oil-down-the-sink as the reason (which at least cursory googling supports as a possible reason). So maybe I'm a little paranoid about putting things down the sink. Still; if you're not sure, better to be safe than have your kitchen sink vomit horrifying death all over your kitchen floor.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
My girlfriend went to Belize and had the greatest nachos she's ever had. From her description, after like 5 attempts,I've developed this recipe:

Low sodium white corn chips (she doesn't remember what type of corn chips they used, but said the low sodium makes them taste better)
Medium cheddar
Monterey Jack
Green onions
Roma tomatoes
Green onion
Avocado
Jalapeño

Any suggestions on how I can improve the recipe, or any insights on what they might use in Belize?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can I make lasagna with ground beef instead of sausage?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Yes, very easily in fact, it's just you gotta flavor it more if I remember right.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Yes, very easily in fact, it's just you gotta flavor it more if I remember right.

So just cook my beef with oregano, rosemary, thyme, basil, garlic, and sage?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I'd just make a bolognese sauce:

Heat oil in a dutch oven or other large pot, then add a few tablespoons of butter. Once the butter as melted and the foam subsided, add one chopped onion, a chopped carrot, and chopped celery (2:1:1). Saute until softened. Add ground beef salt and pepper and cook until browned. Add a cup of whole milk and some grated nutmeg and reduce by half, add a cup of dry white wine and reduce by half. Finally, add a can of good quality whole tomatoes, broken up by hand or through a mill. Cook at a low simmer for several hours, stirring occasionally. If the sauce grows too dry, add a little water. Finish with a knob of butter.

I like a classic lasagna with loads of Parmigiano-Reggiano and bechamel, and if I have time its amazing with fresh homemade pasta.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

PatMarshall posted:

I'd just make a bolognese sauce:

Heat oil in a dutch oven or other large pot, then add a few tablespoons of butter. Once the butter as melted and the foam subsided, add one chopped onion, a chopped carrot, and chopped celery (2:1:1). Saute until softened. Add ground beef salt and pepper and cook until browned. Add a cup of whole milk and some grated nutmeg and reduce by half, add a cup of dry white wine and reduce by half. Finally, add a can of good quality whole tomatoes, broken up by hand or through a mill. Cook at a low simmer for several hours, stirring occasionally. If the sauce grows too dry, add a little water. Finish with a knob of butter.

I like a classic lasagna with loads of Parmigiano-Reggiano and bechamel, and if I have time its amazing with fresh homemade pasta.

This sounds awesome, it didn't occur to me to make a bolognese for lasagna. I'm making like three pounds worth for freezer meals so I'll try it.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

tuyop posted:

So just cook my beef with oregano, rosemary, thyme, basil, garlic, and sage?

Don't forget garlic! Make sure you add the garlic before the tomatoes, too; the acidity in tomatoes can totally kill the taste of garlic (and other alliums too).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tuyop posted:

Add minced pepperoni.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Bob Saget IRL posted:

I need a beginner's pork frIed rice recipe. I had a party and brined pork chops with with some Asian inspired flavors. Have a few extra that I diced and would go great with fried rice but never done it before so help me out please

This is the recipe that my wife and I have been using to great success.

If that looks like too much, or if the pork candy won't work with the chops you have, then fried rice is pretty easy to make and pretty hard to screw up. Get a big head of broccoli, chop it up (including the stalks). Chop up some carrots, get some sliced water chestnuts. Scramble an egg and maybe dice up some cabbage if you're into that. Cook the veggies in the wok, going from longest cook time to shortest; make sure you don't add to much stuff at once and kill the temp in the wok. Use soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sesame oil to taste.

If you don't have a wok, then you're probably dead in the water; I have tried to make fried rice in a flat-bottomed pot, and my only advice is "Don't try to make fried rice in a flat-bottomed pot".

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Any recipes for soups? Looking for some brothy types or Asian types in particular - like wonton or chicken tortilla. Something I can throw in a crockpot would be great, too.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

QuarkMartial posted:

Any recipes for soups? Looking for some brothy types or Asian types in particular - like wonton or chicken tortilla. Something I can throw in a crockpot would be great, too.

That's pretty vague, why don't you pick a specific soup you enjoy and we can help you make that specific thing?

Soup reheats super well and quickly and doesn't generally do so well in a slow cooker (some of the ingredients will end up super overcooked), so if you're looking for something that you can make quickly after work, you might have more luck just making some on the weekend and storing it for the week.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

QuarkMartial posted:

Any recipes for soups?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Well, vague as the post is, he did list two specific soups, wonton and chicken tortilla.

For a brothy soup, the longest cook time will be the broth. That you can certainly do in a crockpot, though it'll be quicker to just simmer on the stove. But if you really need to, you can replace any "simmer bones in liquid for x hours" step with a slow cook in the crockpot for a longer period of time. You'll still want to finish the soup with other ingredients on the stove but that wouldn't take too long for many soups.

Here's a wonton soup recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/homemade-wonton-soup-recipe.html

For example, for the crock pot, you would do step 2 in it but honestly the stove is much quicker. To get that much gelatin out of the bones in a stockpot you would probably want to start it before you go to bed and leave it overnight as well as while you're at work (so at least 18 hours).

I don't know if this recipe is a good representation but I love the chicken tortilla soup from this restaurant so if this is a good home scale version I would recommend it: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tortilla-Soup-388718

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

QuarkMartial posted:

2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (optional)
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons curry powder
4 cups vegetable broth
1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin
1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon white sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Arrange pumpkin seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until seeds begin to brown.

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in flour and curry powder until smooth. Cook, stirring, until mixture begins to bubble. Gradually whisk in broth, and cook until thickened. Stir in pumpkin and half-and-half. Season with soy sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring just to a boil, then remove from heat. Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Sorry for being vague, I was posting from my phone at work :v:. I'm not a big soup person in general, but something about this change of season has got me craving soups. What I generally go to are things like chicken tortilla, wonton, miso, and hot and sour type soups. I guess the childhood standards of vegetable or chicken noodle are what I'm trying to avoid, though I suppose chicken noodle is kinda in that same category. I also want to avoid some of the heavier soups like potato or broccoli cheese. Those are really tasty, but a lot heavier than what I'm wanting here lately. Also, tomato soups are generally something I like as well. Pho is really good, too. I've only had it a couple of times, so I'm not exactly sure what goes into it and types and so on.

I'm trying to put together some stuff to take for my lunches, and as said before, soup reheats really well. It's too cold for salads, and microwave foods at their best are still pretty terrible. I just want some soup recipes that are really easy to make, which is why I threw the slow cooker option out there. Even just making it in a big batch is fine with me if it keeps / freezes well. I'm really open to trying lots of different things, so long as I don't have to tend to it for 6 or 7 hours.

That wonton soup sounds really good and I will definitely have to try that.

I've never had Mas Tacos' soup before; I live in Nashville and I had some really good chicken tortilla soup, but I CANNOT remember where I had it. It's been bugging me for a couple of days. I don't know if it was Chuy's or Rosepepper's or someone else's that I had. Still, it looks like a good one to try.

I might try the pumpkin soup closer to Thanksgiving. I don't know if I'd like it, and there'd be lots of family around to eat it if I don't like it :v:.

I hope this clarifies some. Thanks for the help!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
A simple broccoli soup is amazing and simple.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I want to make a duckbreast in the oven with one of those oven bags. It is a rather large piece. How do I get it crusty? Do I have to put it in the pan for one minute before putting it in?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
What can I do with a lot of tofu? I have so much. So much. All I know to do with tofu is fry it and serve it over fried rice/stirfry with noodles/on a sandwich.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Dinner date question. I'm wanting to make dinner for a girl I've been seeing. Normally, this is no problem. The problem is a lack of time. I get off work at 8 pm and she goes to bed around 11:30 pm. So, I'm thinking slow cooker is the way to go so I can make it all before I go to work?

Anybody have suggestions on something to knock it out of the park with in my time crunch?

Ysa
Feb 3, 2002

secret service get all the pussy
I have a couple packages of Burmese tofu and no idea how to use it. I haven't cared for regular tofu in most variations that I've tried but I'm interested in trying this. Anyone have a simple idea to get the best use? I'm pretty much a novice cook but I can follow a recipe.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

What can I do with a lot of tofu? I have so much. So much. All I know to do with tofu is fry it and serve it over fried rice/stirfry with noodles/on a sandwich.

Dry frying in a pan is the way to go get a nice firm texture. If you want to cook into something without it turning to mush (like a stew or a braise), you'll need to freeze it hard, and then let it thaw on the counter under a weight, which will press out a lot of the moisture. The freeze and press gives a very firm texture, similar to Indian paneer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I feel dumb even asking this question, but what are some suggestions for good hot breakfasts, preferably ones that don't take forever to make? My go-tos are various forms of egg (mostly scrambled or omelettes), with some combination of toast, hash browns, skillet potatoes, tomatoes, or sauteed mushrooms; oatmeal (nuts and dried cranberries in); and french toast or pancakes. Once in a blue moon I make paranthas but that's a bit of a time investment. I like all those things but I've been wanting to mix it up lately.