Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Munkaboo posted:

Very unimpressed with the Turbo's battery... 34% after 13 hours and only 30 min of screen time.

Also very unimpressed with the idle/sleep battery performance. The iPhone blows it out of the water. I'm at 76% on my iPhone and 34% on my turbo.

edit: Actually, it's 2.5 hours of screen time (at 30% brightness). I guess that makes a bit more sense?

This was happening to me too, but I seem to have fixed it.

Disable 'Command Center,' and turn the WiFi always scanning off. Setting GPS on battery saving mode helps, too.

Right now I'm at 72% battery with 14 hours off charger and a bit over 1hr of screen time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
:siren: My z3c is out for delivery :siren:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

SouthLAnd posted:

The 14 moto x camera isn't terrible, it's just not amazing like a few other flagships. It takes good photos with a decent amount of light.

View from my work in beautiful Detroit.

E: What's Android M going to stand for? I'm going with marshmallow. Just imagine how cute a giant green Stay Puft Android would be. :3:

Whites are blown out like the original Moto X.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Does the nexus 5 have a bad antenna or something? My note 4 remains at good bars and battery through my workday (hospital) while my nexus 5 battery got drained like a hot dad cock because of poor signal

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Depths posted:

Does the nexus 5 have a bad antenna or something? My note 4 remains at good bars and battery through my workday (hospital) while my nexus 5 battery got drained like a hot dad cock because of poor signal

I don't know where iPhones rank, but my Nexus 5 was a good deal worse than the iPhone 6 I replaced it with.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Depths posted:

The reception on the N5 isn't great, but I don't know how it compares to a hot dad cock.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
[A bunch of tl;dr replies to old posts which you probably won't read]

Syrinxx posted:

Was about to post this. I guess even from their ivory tower Google was able to see that kneecapping customer access to their own storage was loving stupid. Involving the user in the decision about what folders apps can access was a pretty good solution.

e: Was overly hostile sorry

The thing is I don't think they actually listened to feedback/changed course at all, the engineers pretty much said this was the plan when KitKat launched:

Also thinking about it I'm not sure this actually makes 3rd party file explorers "just work" interface wise (which I thought was the main rallying cry). If those apps keep the UI the same and just display the Device Root + Shared storage (/sdcard partition) then secondary storage (physical cards) is by definition tacked on since it requires a whole separate process for adding the card which will call up a system app it doesn't control. Plus it won't just show the SDcard you aren't seeing, but directories the File Explorer has already shown in a different presentation so the dev will need to find a way to communicate the gap (which if you're a pessimist will be long-winded dialog shown beforehand which you'll zone out).

But if they do go for cohesiveness and they build an interface where you have to manually add every directory you want to manage, the model doesn't resemble the Desktop anymore so they've still got what they wanted all along. Using the file manager the OEM ships with your device is still the quickest option for that use case.

Either way they needed to make the announcement since at this point the idea of the limitations was greater than the limitations themselves.

5436 posted:

Yea but thats really a branding/marketing issue on Googles part.

That's actually an intentional tradeoff they made: Android being near-invisible/white label made it much more appealing to OEMs due to the differentiation it affords. They wouldn't have got the same OEM adoption at the start if it was heavily opinionated which could of tipped the scales in another platforms favor.

Three Olives posted:

I don't need the giant flow chart again but can someone explain to me why the major Android players (Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony) haven't aren't putting in more formal plans for L yet? I know they have vaguely said what devices are getting upgraded but if Google can be pushing final code to devices shouldn't they be close enough to at least be rolling RCs to the carriers and possibly final to their unlocked devices? I know the carriers are always going to be bitches about updates but it seems like Google inexplicably withholds essential stuff from their major partners until they have the final build ready for the Nexus devices.

You've probably got the mental model of the process wrong: Nexus isn't built on top of AOSP, it's AOSP which is derived from Nexus.

Tunga posted:

This means they have to spend a long time carefully re-skinning Lollipop to look like KitKat so as to not upset existing users. I genuinely cannot wait to see what Samsung et al. do to it, it is going to be hideous.

The question is whether OEMs will even have the ability to heavily reskin anything in Sundar's Android. The Touchwiz Lollipop build is getting more Material-like over time:

I guess Samsung's kind of an outlier because Google forced them into that January deal where they explicitly agreed to co-ordinate Touchwiz with Google's UX going forward. Another OEM skin will have to leak before one can say for sure. Though the way every major OEM launcher in KitKat just spontaneously switched to the same structure as Google Now Launcher makes me lean towards no, since whatever unknown force compelled them to do that (design is outside the bounds of CDD/CTS) is likely to compel them to take the same "colour inside the lines" approach as Samsung.

the kawaiiest posted:

I really wish they would just drop the whole idea and ship everything with stock Android, but that's just never going to happen.

Google's chief business officer pretty much wanted to do exactly this with Android Silver and bulldoze Stock Android/Google controlled shelf space straight into stores. If he wasn't poached by Softbank at the last minute it pretty much would've happened.

Even with Silver gone the basic approach may not be dead: I think it could be the end goal of all the Androidify/"Be Together, not the same" stuff. Brand advertising like that only makes sense if your goal is recognition (its too vague + elaborate to be a one off) and the logical place for it to be recognised is inside the carrier stores themselves. They don't need to start from scratch, they can re-purpose much of the work they already did with Silver except with "Open/Neutral" instead of "Google". "Making concessions to get into power, then scaling back the concessions once in power" is pretty much the playbook Android was built on so its not as if they're unfamiliar with the strategy.

It's not as direct as just pushing Google devices, but with Material Design eating away differentiation from the inside-out there's less need: when your phone interacts the same way as the Chrome browser, Search, Youtube and Maps chances are you'll make the association regardless.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 7, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Depths posted:

As said above the N5's reception isn't stellar. It hasn't been bad enough to actually cause me an issue but N4 and iPhone 4 are way better.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

LastInLine posted:

You mean apart from literally the first option in Settings?
Still notifies you after it does updates, unless its been broken for me for the last 3 years.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
So can newish model phones go on sale during Black Friday or do they stay pretty constant in price? I'm thinking about getting an unlocked Moto X but they are still pretty steep on Swappa and I don't actually need it right this second so maybe I should just wait a few weeks?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Goetta posted:

So can newish model phones go on sale during Black Friday or do they stay pretty constant in price? I'm thinking about getting an unlocked Moto X but they are still pretty steep on Swappa and I don't actually need it right this second so maybe I should just wait a few weeks?

Moto X went on sale for cyber Monday last year but it was a big cluster gently caress.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Bought a Moto X 2014 and it feels much better and snappier than my Samsung Galaxy S5.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

(assuming this isn't a hoax)

Lollipop rolling to the Moto X 2014.

http://phandroid.com/2014/11/07/moto-x-2nd-gen-now-receiving-android-5-0-lollipop/

Edit:

Not a hoax.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/102640

It's official, Nexus devices are no longer the quickest to receive updates.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
lollipop factory images released for nexus!

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=ca

for nexus player and nexus 9

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

http://phandroid.com/2014/11/07/moto-x-2nd-gen-now-receiving-android-5-0-lollipop/

Edit:

Not a hoax.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/102640

Holy poo poo.

I just got my 2014 X on Tuesday. What timing.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

bull3964 posted:

Edit:

Not a hoax.

Let the :f5: begin... except I don't have a Moto X 2014, or even a Nexus... but a Google Play Edition...

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

bull3964 posted:

Edit:

Not a hoax.

No word on the Moto X 2013? :(

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Edit:

Not a hoax.

Can you flash a system image? If not, have fun waiting a few weeks for your OTA :colbert: Also Nexus 5 has been on L for like 5 months. But actually that's awesome.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Well then, it turns out 5.2" is way too big for my tiny hands. How do guys with big phones reposition the phone to access the top of the screen? The best I've been able to figure out one-handed is some unreliable finger-shimmy until I can reach the top or bottom of the phone. Over a desk that'd be fine I guess, but walking around? That's just asking for a scuffed-up phone.

One-handed operation is a big deal for me and I just can't reconcile that with how tall the larger phones are. Thank god for the Z3 Compact.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

:drat: Get your poo poo together Google.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Karthe posted:

Well then, it turns out 5.2" is way too big for my tiny hands. How do guys with big phones reposition the phone to access the top of the screen? The best I've been able to figure out one-handed is some unreliable finger-shimmy until I can reach the top or bottom of the phone. Over a desk that'd be fine I guess, but walking around? That's just asking for a scuffed-up phone.

One-handed operation is a big deal for me and I just can't reconcile that with how tall the larger phones are. Thank god for the Z3 Compact.

When I went from the 4.3" Galaxy S2 to the 4.7" One m7, I came to the same realization that one-handed use is a luxury not afforded on many modern Android phones (and now, all iPhones, in my case!) That unreliable finger-shimmy is one option, the other is a risky kind of throw in the palm to slide the device an inch or two. Neither are convenient or comfortable.

The only way I'll be able to get away with one-handing my next upgrade will be if the screen is sub-5" with a small-to-non-existant lower bezel.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Karthe posted:

If you're not already do this, I've found it easier to use my phone one-handed if I only let my fingers that hold the phone go 1/2-2/3 of the way across the back of the phone. This gives you more reach with your thumb, but you give up the ability to access the volume buttons without moving the phone around.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

For more specific info, it's the soak test to the "Pure" edition.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/07/motorola-rolling-out-android-5-0-lollipop-soak-test-to-moto-x-2014-pure-edition/

So, you have to be a member of the MFN selected for the soak and have the Pure edition. Typically though, there are usually only a handful of days after a soak before general release.

It will be interesting to see how the carrier versions fare and what the lag will be like.

Release notes posted for the 2014 G as well, so that's pending soon too.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/07/motorola-posts-lollipop-release-notes-for-moto-g/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress, now that I've tried the new Gmail app, I don't want to use Inbox anymore. It's really slick.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress, now that I've tried the new Gmail app, I don't want to use Inbox anymore. It's really slick.

Ha, Google has made an app obsolete by updating an app that the first app was meant to make obsolete and all within the span of two weeks.

(I know it wasn't actually a Gmail replacement)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Maybe I should get the MotoX instead of the N6....can't decide. But price is definitely a big factor. Argh. What should I do....

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Maybe I should get the MotoX instead of the N6....can't decide. But price is definitely a big factor. Argh. What should I do....

I just bought a Sony Xperia Z3 compact for $400... Just saying.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So if nexus isn't the quickest one getting updates, what's the point of even getting one

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

So if nexus isn't the quickest one getting updates, what's the point of even getting one

In fairness, this isn't a general Moto X rollout yet, just a soak test to the "pure" devices or whatever"

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bob A Feet posted:

Since the Moto X/Droid Max, the advice has always been Nexus or Moto. Last year, Nexus 5 was cheaper than Moto X, had a bigger display, and better camera, so those were reasons. Now, if you like the Nexus 6 hardware more than Moto X, that's another reason.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What does "pure" mean, here? I don't recall hearing that term before.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

What does "pure" mean, here? I don't recall hearing that term before.

Pure Edition has no carrier apps and I believe it ships with a unlocked bootloader.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pure Edition has no carrier apps and I believe it ships with a unlocked bootloader.

So pretty much a GPE, then?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RVProfootballer posted:

Since the Moto X/Droid Max, the advice has always been Nexus or Moto. Last year, Nexus 5 was cheaper than Moto X, had a bigger display, and better camera, so those were reasons. Now, if you like the Nexus 6 hardware more than Moto X, that's another reason.

Pretty much the only differences are size (X is smaller), camera (6 is better), and Qi (6 yes, X no). I want the smaller size but the other two are more important. Also the 32 GB pure X is 550. So it's not a whole lot cheaper than the 6. I think I settled on the 6. Especially since I actually go to order one.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hooah posted:

So pretty much a GPE, then?

Sort of. But GPE has no OEM specific apps. The pure X has all the moto extra features.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why would a phone ship with an unlocked bootloader? Surely you mean an unlockable bootloader.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Why would a phone ship with an unlocked bootloader? Surely you mean an unlockable bootloader.

Posting from a pure edition. It's unlockable. Not unlocked.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yup sorry, my mistake.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mister Fister posted:

I just bought a Sony Xperia Z3 compact for $400... Just saying.

Where did you get that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

WhyteRyce posted:

Where did you get that?

My boy Tito got some in he trunk

• Locked thread