Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

Why are like six names bigger than everyone else's?

It's more than six, and I thought it might mean they died recently, but Wally Wood's is like that too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's pretty obvious, guys. Everyone's life is important, but some people's lives are worth more than others.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Discendo Vox posted:

It's pretty obvious, guys. Everyone's life is important, but some people's lives are worth more than others.

That is basically the theme of superhero comics so it fits.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

The fact that Joe Simon's name is so small is bullshit, specially since that's a picture of Captain America.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

redbackground posted:

Why are like six names bigger than everyone else's?

The same reason why more some dead actors get more applause during the In Memorium section of the Oscars

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vincent posted:

The fact that Joe Simon's name is so small is bullshit, specially since that's a picture of Captain America.

Simon was only at Timely for about a year, he left acrimoniously over pay issues and he convinced Jack Kirby to go with him. Marvel would never get away with holding a grudge against the King, but these days most people don't know Joe Simon created Captain America.

It never ceases to amaze me that Simon was still producing original concept art in his late 90s.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

When Simon died, Marvel did a big hullabaloo about it. That probably holds more weight than how big his name is on some misspelled splash page of dead guys.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

The same reason why more some dead actors get more applause during the In Memorium section of the Oscars
I figured it was an Importance factor, but I couldn't figure out why them specifically over others, who are still quite well known.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
From Transformers: MTMTE #32.
:siren:SPOILERS AHEAD. Fair warning.:siren:

Long story (very) short, Megatron surrendered to the Autobots, began doubting the Decepticon cause, even befriended (sorta) Bumblebee, whose death made him decide to join the Autobots. He's now co-captain of Rodimus' ship, the Lost Light, accompanied by Ravage, who popped up somewhere along the line. In space, they seem to have found a wrecked Lost Light, determined to be from the future, with Autobot bodies on board. This gives an insight into Megatron not really seen before:

I am really, really enjoying this series...

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Wow. That's a lot better than I would have expected from any version of Megatron.

Seeing a reasonable, sane, defeated Megatron is kind of wierding me out. I am Ravage in this comic.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I've heard nothing but good things about the recent TF comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Azubah posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about the recent TF comics.

So have I, but I've also heard nothing but good things about every transformers piece of media lin the last 15 years. The franchise doesn't have the most discerning audience.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

So have I, but I've also heard nothing but good things about every transformers piece of media lin the last 15 years. The franchise doesn't have the most discerning audience.

You've never heard anything bad about the Michael Bay films?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I will say I'm not a huge Transformers nut (I like the old movie and think some of the toys are cool, that's pretty much it), and I like the IDW comics a lot. I do think the early mini-series format kills the pacing a lot, and the collected hardcovers are ordered in sometimes weird ways, but the way they reinvent that universe is super creative and there almost aren't any bad stories there.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 9, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Believe it or not, it had totally slipped my mind that those are in fact the same kinds of transformers.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lurdiak posted:

Believe it or not, it had totally slipped my mind that those are in fact the same kinds of transformers.

You live in a wonderful world.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

MTMTE is really good and is only a Transformers comic in that it is about Transformers, but there's really very little to it that couldn't be changed slightly to make it just whatever warring aliens or whatever the writer wanted.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's probably true but don't pretend the series isn't leveraging the fact that nerds recognize these characters from having grown up with them the past 30 years and thus ascribe a deeper pathos and understanding of them based on all the lore surrounding their many incarnations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MTMTE's plot could be written with other characters other than 'formers, but honestly there's so many little easter eggs and small details for people who have been following this dumb franchise for so long that it shows the writer likes and knows the universe. MTMTE can still be read by anyone who isn't into Transformers -- it's more about the comedy, horror, and psychological thriller of a group of dysfunctional individuals and that works for anyone who cares about good stories.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Now show the panels where people keep going 'Awww who's a good robot kitty OH HOLY poo poo' when they forget he's not just a robot kitty. :3:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

That Ignorant Sap posted:

From Transformers: MTMTE #32.
:siren:SPOILERS AHEAD. Fair warning.:siren:

Long story (very) short, Megatron surrendered to the Autobots, began doubting the Decepticon cause, even befriended (sorta) Bumblebee, whose death made him decide to join the Autobots. He's now co-captain of Rodimus' ship, the Lost Light, accompanied by Ravage, who popped up somewhere along the line. In space, they seem to have found a wrecked Lost Light, determined to be from the future, with Autobot bodies on board. This gives an insight into Megatron not really seen before:

I am really, really enjoying this series...

... I'm not sure which part of this weirds me out more: Ravage actually being able to talk, or Ravage using the word "wobbles" which, going by context, I assume means something along the lines of "existential crisis".

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Ravage's always been able to talk though, he'd be a rubbish spy if he couldn't.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SynthOrange posted:

Now show the panels where people keep going 'Awww who's a good robot kitty OH HOLY poo poo' when they forget he's not just a robot kitty. :3:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

W.T. Fits posted:

... I'm not sure which part of this weirds me out more: Ravage actually being able to talk, or Ravage using the word "wobbles" which, going by context, I assume means something along the lines of "existential crisis".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXfEGRgmO-0

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

W.T. Fits posted:

He talked in the original comics. He talked in the UK comic and I believe he spoke in the US comic as well.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

OptimusShr posted:

He talked in the original comics. He talked in the UK comic and I believe he spoke in the US comic as well.

Yeah, but I grew up watching the cartoons in the 80s, where he never talked. So even though I know he can talk from having heard about his appearance in Beast Wars and in the comics, to actually see it happening is still weird to me.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
He even talked in the cartoon. Admittedly, it was just the once as far as I know but he did!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

OptimusShr posted:

He had great lines

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Haha, that kind of looks like the artist just drew a panther first and then added the robot bits.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Lurdiak posted:

Haha, that kind of looks like the artist just drew a panther first and then added the robot bits.

To be honest the early TF comics, particularly the UK comics. Weren't all that great art wise.

EDIT:

Sentinel Red posted:

He even talked in the cartoon. Admittedly, it was just the once as far as I know but he did!

Oh yeah forgot about that. One of the parts of More that meets the eye right?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, you goons convinced me to start reading MTMTE.

Is it normal that I cannot tell anyone apart for the loving life of me? Basically everyone in this comic is white and orange or white and blue.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Uh, Rodimus is white and orange? You you can't tell the tall skinny bot from the little robot who comes up to his knee that follows him around from the pointy purple robot with the spiky mouth and all that? All the robots are kind of very differently shaped and have extremely different shillouettes, more so than in any other book, so I'm not sure you're reading the right book or something.

I suppose Ambulon, First Aid, and Red Alert might be a little confusing but that's not until several issues in.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It doesn't help that I'm having a hard time figuring out who's who.

This comic would greatly benefit from a 'line-up' or cast page.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Poison Mushroom posted:

It doesn't help that I'm having a hard time figuring out who's who.

This comic would greatly benefit from a 'line-up' or cast page.
???

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, or maybe I'm just thick. :downs:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So as someone who has not paid attention to the clusterfuck that is the Transformers multiverse since 2001 and isn't about to go into a wiki now, why is Megatron a separate character in this series from Galvatron if most of the major players and designs seem lifted from G1 Season 3? I mean yeah like Ratchet is still alive so that needs to be explained too, but that's more of a generic revolving door of death comics problem and I'm more interested to hear the hows and whys of Galvatron/Megatron in this version.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
This getting off topic and more things for the tramsformers thread. Still Idw-verse uses g1 designs but was very divergent with its plots from the get-go and that's just how it rolled.

Even the g1 designs part is not a fixture, as the house style and design choices have radically altered throughout the comic. Starscream for instance went from looking like war for cybertron starscream to armada starscream, and waspinator and rattrap have been in the comic.

Galvatron's a seperate character who has nothing to do with and has never had anything to do with megatron because Furman just thought it would be neat. Goldbug and bumblebee are also seperate characters but Goldbug only appeared once. In this same vein, Kup and Shitpeice are also different characters instead of another such renaming.

Ratchet never died. Idw is not in continuity with whatever you're thinking of where ratchet died. It has nothing to do with the marvel comics or eighties cartoons which are far worse than you remember them being.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 12, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Acne Rain posted:

This getting off topic and more things for the tramsformers thread. Still Idw-verse uses g1 designs but was very divergent with its plots from the get-go and that's just how it rolled.

K

quote:

Ratchet never died. Idw is not in continuity with whatever you're thinking of where ratchet died.

I'm reasonably sure Ratchet died in the 86 Movie, which is what I was referring to, but yeah I got that the book was its own continuity. I was big into Transformers when I was 12 and know it's a huge multiverse of various incarnations telling similar or the same general concept with similar casts but vastly different styles and histories. Knowing that it's really not out of line to ask what the major differences are between this version and others.

quote:

It has nothing to do with the marvel comics or eighties cartoons which are far worse than you remember them being.

I know they sucked but they're also the baseline for the entire US Transformers multiverse you condescending cockbag.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
With all the revisions and such, idw is confusing enough to get into if you want the full story instead of jumping into the current books, and difficult enough getting anyone on board reading them as well, so I wanted to make it extra clear to everyone that they didn't need to know anything about things from the eighties to enjoy any of it :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

It has nothing to do with the marvel comics or eighties cartoons which are far worse than you remember them being.

The movie is a goddamn masterpiece. :colbert: