Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
OLD MEN YELL AT FINGER:

http://youtu.be/oFwb8z0A5nM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shame. It was funny!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mo0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzdRQCnDBlw

This aired on Adult Swim last night, at 4AM, in a slot otherwise marked for infomercials.

It's one of the best deconstructions of television I think I've ever seen, and it's amazing.

It also reminds me that I am a horrible horrible TV show intro nerd. :(

What the hell did I just watch?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Forever got its back 9 for a full season. Maybe I'm just crazy or ABC is looking to groom a show to eventually replace Castle in the long run. Except Forever doesn't pull Castle numbers either I'm guessing, but quirky non-cop lead/cop partner procedural with a fantastical bent is very close.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Deadpool posted:

What the hell did I just watch?

The lord's work, that's what.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Sober posted:

Forever got its back 9 for a full season. Maybe I'm just crazy or ABC is looking to groom a show to eventually replace Castle in the long run. Except Forever doesn't pull Castle numbers either I'm guessing, but quirky non-cop lead/cop partner procedural with a fantastical bent is very close.

Nothing pulls the kind of numbers things pulled even 5 years ago. Networks are starting to program I think around what they can build a following around.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nothing except the Walking Dead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

Selfie has been canceled - done after the initial 13. Hopefully John Cho is back on Sleepy Hollow later this season.

Thank Christ, that show is some incredible dogshit.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Selfie really got better coming out of the pilot but I still think it's a matter of whether or not you like Kapnek's style of comedy, which I've noticed quite a lot of people do not.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Help, gang sign america man want me join his american gang.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sober posted:

Selfie really got better coming out of the pilot but I still think it's a matter of whether or not you like Kapnek's style of comedy, which I've noticed quite a lot of people do not.

I watched the first 3 episodes and she wasn't really that annoying. Kind of reminded me of Anna Kendrick. What I thought was really bad was... everything else, especially Cho's character. The writing just wasn't there, it felt maudlin and flat at the same time and his acting was not doing much for me either. Since the show is basically just those two people, it's asking a lot of them to carry it, especially with the very heavy-handed "will they/won't they" cloud of doom hanging over the whole project.

Like Mulaney, it's like, here's this funny person. Now let's put them in a terrible show!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The lesson ins don't put Asian males in your TV show. Glenn is a fluke.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Sober posted:

I'm glad to hear this. I don't think you're crazy either, my main enjoyment from the show is that it feels a lot like early Castle, just with Not-Hugh Grant instead of Captain Mal.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sober posted:

There were a lot of things wrong with Selfie, but I think there are two that stand out as particularly egregious:

1. The show was too moralistic from the beginning.

A sitcom should be funny first, moralistic second, and Selfie was just the opposite. Nobody wants to be preached to by television characters. If I'm not laughing, I'm not watching. Period.

2. They should have never released/aired the pilot.

Basically, the show was dead in the water as soon as the pilot got out there. Its easily one of the worst sitcom pilots ever made, and not something you want to be people's first exposure to the show (because in most cases it will be their last).

That said, I'm not terrible upset at the cancellation because even the best episode, "Even Hell Has Two Bars," isn't as good as the worst episode of Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 or the average episode of Trophy Wife.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Daniel Day Kim seems to also be immune to this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Irish Joe laying down truth bombs. I'm gonna go campaign for D.A.R.E. Imagine I typed an Aatrek joke here.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mo0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzdRQCnDBlw

This aired on Adult Swim last night, at 4AM, in a slot otherwise marked for infomercials.

It's one of the best deconstructions of television I think I've ever seen, and it's amazing.

It also reminds me that I am a horrible horrible TV show intro nerd. :(

:stare: Every time I think it peaks it just keeps on going

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

Daniel Day Kim seems to also be immune to this.

Well, he also doesn't have a starring role. Lost and H50 both had very white people front and center.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'm going to love the entire cast of Don't Trust the Bitch forever. Like Better Off Ted, I'm just happy any kind of second season happened.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

That Kristen Ritter / Phil and Lem show cancellation sounds worse and worse.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It was too beautiful for this world or a goddamn train wreck for it to not even get a chance. Either way I wish it was a pilot that would leak.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
First she's in a pilot that gets pulled for retooling and fizzles out, then she's in a show that gets picked up but then cancelled before it ever airs.

It's like the universe doesn't want us to have good things.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I hate this because I am also an Asian male and they don't get leads but hey, Hollywood is gonna Hollywood, why do you think most Asians just leave and become huge stars in Hong Kong instead?

And Glenn isn't really a lead. Really the closest though, doesn't he get like 3rd billing now?

But yeah the Selfie pilot was terrible. The show after it didn't feel as one-sided, so it kinda was lame that it leaned so hard that way there.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Well, he also doesn't have a starring role. Lost and H50 both had very white people front and center.

I only saw like the pilot of Hawaii 50 but I thought he was? Oh well.

The dude on Walking Dead isn't a main character either, although the intended main character in that show is the worst part of the show.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

IRQ posted:

I only saw like the pilot of Hawaii 50 but I thought he was? Oh well.

Yeah he's one of the 4 leads. Not the very main character but he's still a main part of the show. Daniel Dae Kim is a cool guy.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bates Motel is amazing. I don't know why I waited so long to watch it. It's amazingly funny for a horror show. Vera Farmiga is a comic genius, and I really wish the show could become Norma and Emma teaming up to solve crimes and clean up the town. I can't believe how sympathetic Norma is for an abusive lunatic who's slowly turning her sociopathic kid into a serial killer. I never expected that she would be funny.

I haven't watched season 2 yet, but was the teacher really a molester, or did Norman imagine her grooming him?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jack Gladney posted:

I haven't watched season 2 yet, but was the teacher really a molester, or did Norman imagine her grooming him?

Not a question you really want answered if you're gonna watch season 2. It's complicated.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah he's one of the 4 leads. Not the very main character but he's still a main part of the show. Daniel Dae Kim is a cool guy.

Yeah, I'm not saying he's not one of the main characters, but I watched up to maybe season 3 before the show got too boring and way too "honolulu police officers fighting terrorism for some reason" for my liking, and he got like screen time for maybe 10-20% of an episode at best unless it was a rare episode centered on his character. I think Terry O'Quinn had more screen time than he did on whatever season he was on the show.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Some series on Wikipedia have articles on each and every episodes, while others have only a few. Is there a rule about this?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Kurtofan posted:

Some series on Wikipedia have articles on each and every episodes, while others have only a few. Is there a rule about this?

Pretty sure that's just a question of people having to put the effort in, and valuable information about single episodes being available at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I begun watching Arrow in Netflix this week and God drat am I mad at myself for waiting this long. This show is so much fun and I'm so into it. It perfectly walks the line between fantastic comic book action that's just a little too fantastic to be real without going so far as to feel ridiculous. And it has absolutely mastered the art of ending an episode with a dramatic revelation or tense cliffhanger that demands I watch the next episode immediately. I wasn't at all expecting this show to be this good or hook me this quick. It's got really tight and fast pacing I wasn't expecting at all. Revelations and secrets you'd wait all season for and only see at finales or break episodes come every few episodes and no story or situation wears out its welcome. Even the questionable stories or elements like The Huntress or the early Laurel/Ollie/Tommy triangle resolved themselves quickly enough that i didn't have time to get annoyed or sick of them.

I'm really glad I started watching. I'm even happier I had the foresight to record this season's episodes of Arrow and Flash from the start of the season so they're all on my DVR and when I finish on Netflix I can jump right in. This show has me totally hooked.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
There's only one reason to watch Arrow and he's not in the third season. Pass. :colbert:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I begun watching Arrow in Netflix this week and God drat am I mad at myself for waiting this long. This show is so much fun and I'm so into it. It perfectly walks the line between fantastic comic book action that's just a little too fantastic to be real without going so far as to feel ridiculous. And it has absolutely mastered the art of ending an episode with a dramatic revelation or tense cliffhanger that demands I watch the next episode immediately. I wasn't at all expecting this show to be this good or hook me this quick. It's got really tight and fast pacing I wasn't expecting at all. Revelations and secrets you'd wait all season for and only see at finales or break episodes come every few episodes and no story or situation wears out its welcome. Even the questionable stories or elements like The Huntress or the early Laurel/Ollie/Tommy triangle resolved themselves quickly enough that i didn't have time to get annoyed or sick of them.

I'm really glad I started watching. I'm even happier I had the foresight to record this season's episodes of Arrow and Flash from the start of the season so they're all on my DVR and when I finish on Netflix I can jump right in. This show has me totally hooked.

Its the perfect thing to blitz through Netflix. Get through the bumpy patches really quick, and its a lot more fun. Trying to think of other shows that benefit so well from it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
For the five or six other Goons who watched Hello Ladies, HBO is airing Hello Ladies: The Movie on November 22 at 10:00pm. I had no idea there was such a thing until I saw a magazine ad for it yesterday.

If you watched the first few episodes of the show and bailed you should give it a revisit. It got really good by the end. :shobon:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

smg77 posted:

For the five or six other Goons who watched Hello Ladies, HBO is airing Hello Ladies: The Movie on November 22 at 10:00pm. I had no idea there was such a thing until I saw a magazine ad for it yesterday.

If you watched the first few episodes of the show and bailed you should give it a revisit. It got really good by the end. :shobon:
So it's like a finale episode to tie things up? If so alright then.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

DivisionPost posted:

I'm pretty sure he's in Falling Skies too. (It's ending next year, but still.)

Also, The Librarians is being run by John Rogers (Leverage), so we could be in for some low-key fun.

Elliot is in it!

I hope the cast gets slowly killed off and replaced by the full Leverage team.

Starting with Hardison of course.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't recommend cartoons very often, but Over the Garden Wall is a fantastic little miniseries. It has an interesting sensibility that separates it from other, much shittier children's programming like Gravity Falls and Adventure Time. Definitely worth a shot if you have some free time during the holidays.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TheChad posted:

Elliot is in it!

I hope the cast gets slowly killed off and replaced by the full Leverage team.

Starting with Hardison of course.

He's on that terrible Chris Carter show that Amazon is doing so don't hold your breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Deadpool posted:

He's on that terrible Chris Carter show that Amazon is doing so don't hold your breath.

Can't wait. That and Bosch.

• Locked thread