Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

drat, the video is private.

It's online here
http://www.rtlxl.nl/#!/u/dabac19c-8857-a47e-0cbb-a31fb7c288d1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Come on Ruble, hit 50:1!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mightypeon posted:

Putin is a lot of things but incompetent? The dude oversaw the largest improvement in Russian living standarts during his decade, Russia moved from being a joke to something that is a credible threat, even if only on the defence and not always successfull, to the western hegemony.
In addition, journalists in Russia are actually safer now then under Yelzin. In terms of repression, Russia isnt that different from Adenauer Germany, which frankly is flaming liberal for Russian standarts. Of course, when Yelzin decides that murdering a bunch of Chechens who wanted what he gave to Belarus, Ukraine etc. for free is cool, he is "on a level with Abraham Lincoln", if Putin does the same but with a pretty decent Casus Belli and after having exhausted granting wideranging de facto indepdence, he is Hitler 2.0 .
Internationally, Russia scored a couple of "wins" under him, and was generally punching way above her weightclass. He also managed to keep Russia as one of the worlds 3 indepedent countries.

All of these are pretty serious and meningfull achievements.

He has major failings, especially his not so great handling of the infrastructure, and his education policy, but if he is "incompetent" then precisly who is "competent"? Only ones coming to mind are the Chinese.

Russia a threat? Why because they can be bad at pushing around bankrupt and isolated satellite states?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

A homeless guy with a knife is still a threat to a SWAT trooper.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Pimpmust posted:

Let's not forget that Ukraine is having a hard rear end time too, being much like Russia but minus any oil revenues + a more or less active war going on inside its borders. More likely to get propped up in the short term from the outside, but this can't go on forever either.

I came across this article and while it's only the agricultural side it's interesting:
http://www.agrimoney.com/news/russia-ukraine-wheat-output-to-drop-10m-tonnes--7668.html

Seems like they are expecting a harsh winter too.

The thing is, Ukraine is what Russia would look like without someone managing to reign in the Oligarchs.
Ukraine had a couple of things going for them that Russia did not have (like, a lack of Chechens, not having to worry about Great power games with China etc.), had it been managed competently, they could have reached a level similiar to Poland.
Heck, even Lukashenko did a better job in Belarus then Ukrainian Oligarchiate did in Ukraine.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Jarmak posted:

Russia a threat? Why because they can be bad at pushing around bankrupt and isolated satellite states?

Russia offers itself as a counter-balance to American hegemony. Right-wing parties share Russia's preference for a divided and isolated Europe, and a return to "traditional values." Notice the formal and informal relationship between Russia and parties like Lega Nord, FN, UKIP, etc.

Pat Buchanan and paleo-conservatives in America share a similar view of Putin- a bulwark against decadent liberalism. And I take it Buchanan is still read in Russia.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Jarmak posted:

Ehmm, are you serious?
You are talking about the worlds premier nuclear power, with propably the worlds 3rd strongest conventional army.

I mean, I get that the US military sees itself as the best warfighters ever because they were like, totally successfull in their recent venues.

If you want some extra information, this is a good starting point.
http://nationalinterest.org/commentary/russias-military-back-9181

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Dilkington posted:

Russia offers itself as a counter-balance to American hegemony. Right-wing parties share Russia's preference for a divided and isolated Europe, and a return to "traditional values." Notice the formal and informal relationship between Russia and parties like Lega Nord, FN, UKIP, etc.

Pat Buchanan and paleo-conservatives in America share a similar view of Putin- a bulwark against decadent liberalism. And I take it Buchanan is still read in Russia.

Which has a tendency to result in Russians greatly overestimating how much support Buchanan et al. actually have.
Left wing parties by the way would also like for the US to mind its own buisness, not to speak of (far more important in global terms) aspiring great and regional powers who are like, really really happy about Russia being the Anti-American wavebreaker, especially if they can improve their economies by filling the void western companies vacated due to sanctions.

One should add that Russia is completely willing to give any "void filler" who is not Chinese a really good deal, because overdependence of China is something they very much want to avoid.

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

Forgall posted:

Cockroaches are good at surviving, but not much else.

We'll see it after midnight. Oh.. no, you'll not. :)

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Mightypeon posted:

In addition, journalists in Russia are actually safer now then under Yelzin. In terms of repression, Russia isnt that different from Adenauer Germany, which frankly is flaming liberal for Russian standarts.

Could you source this? I would be curious to see the numbers behind the claim.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dreissi posted:

Could you source this? I would be curious to see the numbers behind the claim.

It helps when you purge anyone attempting reform; fewer folks will attempt it in the future, until a critical mass of resentment is reached at which time the reformers get killed both by the regime and by the angry peasants.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mightypeon posted:

Ehmm, are you serious?
You are talking about the worlds premier nuclear power, with propably the worlds 3rd strongest conventional army.

But that's quite independent of Putin's actions as head of state/government/military/media/everything. It was already the case before him. The only thing that has changed is that now it's relevant because it prevents taking action directly against Russia, whereas before there was no real reason to want to take action so whether or not they had deterrence power simply did not matter.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

My Imaginary GF posted:

It helps when you purge anyone attempting reform; fewer folks will attempt it in the future, until a critical mass of resentment is reached at which time the reformers get killed both by the regime and by the angry peasants.

In other words, they're safe because they're now too afraid of being killed to do anything that would result in Putin wanting to have them killed. That battered wife-asking-for-it metaphor is rearing its head again.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

TeodorMorozov posted:

Is this a threat?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Teodor's every post is a threat along the lines of "Try and stop us", he's making a bad enough case for Russia it almost sounds like someone just pretending to be a Russian nationalist to give them a bad name. I mean, there are clearly Russian nationalists out there but we don't usually engage with them directly.

There's almost a desire to excuse him in a paternalist, "he knows not what he does" sort of way - I mean, why get angry with him for holding terrible opinions he is clearly being manipulated into holding? Isn't that just what Putin and his regime wants? A hardening of nationalist sentiment along both sides of the divide?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
America and Russia shouldn't nuke each other. They should nuke ISIL and reap the economic benefits of rebuilding the Middle East.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

McDowell posted:

America and Russia shouldn't nuke each other. They should nuke ISIL and reap the economic benefits of rebuilding the Middle East.

Well I suppose you can still drill for oil through glass...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Dolash posted:

Teodor's every post is a threat along the lines of "Try and stop us", he's making a bad enough case for Russia it almost sounds like someone just pretending to be a Russian nationalist to give them a bad name. I mean, there are clearly Russian nationalists out there but we don't usually engage with them directly.

There's almost a desire to excuse him in a paternalist, "he knows not what he does" sort of way - I mean, why get angry with him for holding terrible opinions he is clearly being manipulated into holding? Isn't that just what Putin and his regime wants? A hardening of nationalist sentiment along both sides of the divide?

In this particular instance, he's specifically making GBS threads on another Russian with what seems to be a vague threat.

I'm asking you again, Teodor, was that a threat?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Teddy's lovely English makes it easy to dismiss him as a someone with a severe learning disability as opposed to the genuinely unpleasant sack of poo poo his opinions indicate him to be.

To be honest I'm constantly amazed that his level of posting is apparently acceptable in D&D.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

my dad posted:

Is this a threat?

The threat is that after midnight he's going to post more.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
In other news, Putin has made the cut for Person of the Year again:

http://www.advocate.com/year-review/2014/11/06/advocates-person-year-vladimir-putin

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Dreissi posted:

In other news, Putin has made the cut for Person of the Year again:

http://www.advocate.com/year-review/2014/11/06/advocates-person-year-vladimir-putin
Russians don't really need to be told by government to be homophobic. If anything, government is trying to show it hates gays enough for the Russians' liking.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TeodorMorozov posted:

Yes, please do clarify what you mean.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

In other words, they're safe because they're now too afraid of being killed to do anything that would result in Putin wanting to have them killed. That battered wife-asking-for-it metaphor is rearing its head again.

Yes, and winter is coming.

Wonder when the ground in Ukraine will be sufficiently frozen to support Russian armored spearheads.

In other new, the Ruble continues to fall along with the rest of the world's petrocurrencies.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2014/11/07/Nigerian-currency-falls-as-oil-prices-drop/9001415375677/

China last seen accepting bribes to cease production of supertankers at its shipyards.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 7, 2014

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Putin really doesn't have a sense of humor.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/11212072/Russian-actor-and-Putin-critic-found-dead-in-Moscow.html

quote:

Russian actor and Putin critic found dead in Moscow
Police suspect foul play after Alexei Devotchenko, critic of Vladimir Putin, discovered "in pool of blood"

A well-known Russian actor who was a vocal critic of the Kremlin has been found dead in suspicious circumstances at his home in Moscow.

Alexei Devotchenko, 49, was discovered in his apartment in the north of the city, police told Russia news agencies.

"There is reason to suppose that the artist's death is of a criminal character," said one law enforcement source.

Mr Devotchenko was know for his roles in several popular television drama series such as "Bandit Petersburg" and "The Street of Broken Lamps" and in performances at the highly regarded Moscow Art Theatre.

Some reports said the actor was found by a friend in a pool of blood outside his home while others said he was inside the apartment.

Police said the scene was being investigated and there was no immediate confirmation of whether he had been murdered, or the potential motives of a killer.

However, Mr Devotchenko's outspoken criticism of the rule of Vladimir Putin, Russia's president, is likely to provoke intense scrutiny over how and why he died.

In 2011, the actor said he was renouncing two state acting prizes "received from Putin's hands", saying he was "ashamed". "I've had enough of all this tsar-state stuff," he wrote in a blog post. "With its lies, its cover-ups, its legalised theft, its bribe-taking and its other triumphs."
A year earlier he had urged fellow actors, artists and musicians to boycott "ultra-patriotic, propagandistic, chauvinistic, anti-Semitic, or pro-Stalinist feature films and television projects" and "agitprop documentaries".

He also called on them not to talk to "lying and tendentious state media" or to take part in Kremlin-linked banquets.

Money earned from such appearances, "smells of dank prison cells, of neglected hospitals and homeless shelters, of the acrid smoke of burnt-out architectural monuments and historical buildings and night clubs and homes for the elderly," he said.

"It smells of the boots of the OMON riot police."

Mr Devotchenko took part in several anti-Kremlin street demonstrations and was a member of the United Civil Front, an opposition group.
In March he signed an open letter of Russian cinema professionals condemning Russian military intervention in Ukraine.

Later on Wednesday evening, a source in the State Investigative Committee told Interfax there were no signs of violence on Mr Devotchenko's body, and he may have died by striking his head while drunk. LifeNews, a pro-Kremlin website with links to the law enforcement agencies, said he had cut his hand and then fallen and hit his head after suffering blood loss. It said empty whisky bottles and empty packets of a drug called Phenazepam were found near his body.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

At least he was safer than under Yeltsin. But I guess he wasn't a journalist.

Mightypeon posted:

In addition, journalists in Russia are actually safer now then under Yelzin. In terms of repression, Russia isnt that different from Adenauer Germany, which frankly is flaming liberal for Russian standarts. Of course, when

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Mightypeon posted:

He has major failings, especially his not so great handling of the infrastructure, and his education policy, but if he is "incompetent" then precisly who is "competent"? Only ones coming to mind are the Chinese.

lol
The results: infrastructure falling apart, rampant alcoholism and heroin abuse, put the middle class under his boot, absolutely ruined every single sign of an economy outside of oil-gas-timber-metals, started a war with a 'brotherly state' due to weird fantasies of restoring the USSR and turned them into enemies, economy crashing because oil is below $100 and my personal favorite: Sechin, leader of the national oil monopoly Rosneft, is asking for a bail out in the form OF THE WHOLE NATIONAL WEALTH FUND otherwise they're hosed (due to the war sanctions).

Putin is a massive, though previously lucky, gently caress up.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Somaen posted:

lol
The results: infrastructure falling apart, rampant alcoholism and heroin abuse, put the middle class under his boot, absolutely ruined every single sign of an economy outside of oil-gas-timber-metals, started a war with a 'brotherly state' due to weird fantasies of restoring the USSR and turned them into enemies, economy crashing because oil is below $100 and my personal favorite: Sechin, leader of the national oil monopoly Rosneft, is asking for a bail out in the form OF THE WHOLE NATIONAL WEALTH FUND otherwise they're hosed (due to the war sanctions).

Putin is extremely competent; it just happens that what he wants isn't in Russia's best interest.

Read the Russian Central Bank will be instituting measures for currency control. Wonder what that entails.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Somaen posted:

and my personal favorite: Sechin, leader of the national oil monopoly Rosneft, is asking for a bail out in the form OF THE WHOLE NATIONAL WEALTH FUND otherwise they're hosed (due to the war sanctions).

I had to go look this one up:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-29/rosneft-third-quarter-profit-falls-to-near-zero-on-crude-price.html

A rapid drop to zero profit, combined with sanctions making it pretty much impossible to secure loans to payback their debts. Russia's going to have to dig deep to save it.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Somaen posted:

lol

It's wartime, baby!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

El Perkele posted:

It's wartime, baby!

Watch Russia start a loving war over oil.

American liberals thought in 2003 that America went to war in Iraq over the price of oil being too high. In truth, countries don't give a poo poo about high oil prices; they go to war over lowering commodity prices after a prolonged period of price increases.

E:

http://rt.com/business/203087-putin-china-gas-deal/

Oh, RT. Its a work of PRAVDA to watch how you spin Russian dependancy on Chinese imports at sub-profitable rates as a good outcome for Putin.

Russia: Trading oil to China for USD at sub-profitable rates. If only Putin had realized how much less expensive it is to be an American bitch than a Chinese bitch, he might have stopped at Crimea for a few years. Ah well, I suppose that's off the cards for him now, and as I've stated previously, he'll have to go all in with Ukraine to secure Russian control over all Black Sea energy ownership.

I'm going to guess that NATO has some forces in Romania, or will soon enough. Will certainly make ME politics even more interesting and unstable as Russia moves to counter Sunni energy production.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 8, 2014

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Watch Russia start a loving war over oil.

How many wars can it be in at once?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Sergiu64 posted:

How many wars can it be in at once?

What wars? Russia's not in any wars. What, what are you pointing at? Oh, that. That's not a war, and Russia's not involved. Maybe you need to have your media checked.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

What wars? Russia's not in any wars. What, what are you pointing at? Oh, that. That's not a war, and Russia's not involved. Maybe you need to have your media checked.

The tanks aren't an invasion force. Russia just wanted to show Ukraine its new toys.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

chitoryu12 posted:

The tanks aren't an invasion force. Russia just wanted to show Ukraine its new toys.

Tanks, what tanks? Oh you mean the humanitarian aid. Those aren't tanks, they're water bottles.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cuntpunch posted:

Tanks, what tanks? Oh you mean the humanitarian aid. Those aren't tanks, they're water bottles.

There is no conflict in Ukraine. There is only Police Action authorized by UN due to US protest and inattendance at UN over Security Council vote on Israel.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Cuntpunch posted:

By tanks you must mean the Western Tanks used in the Iraq war.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

There is no conflict in Ukraine. There is only Police Action authorized by UN due to US protest and inattendance at UN over Security Council vote on Israel.

This thread has grown to the point where I legitimately can't tell trolling responses from pro-Russian responses.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We're not trolling- we're paraphrasing and mocking the Russian rhetoric on these issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

We're not trolling- we're paraphrasing and mocking the Russian rhetoric on these issues.

I should have included joke responses in that post.

• Locked thread