Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

BGrifter posted:

Welp, that episode did nothing to dispel the idea this is a lovely season. Only silver lining is that two of the only interesting people this season skate by another week thanks to Julie taking the bullet.

Not much else to say. Same deal as last week, hopefully Josh or someone breaks out as a quality player cause drat there is a lot of chaff in this cast.

It was the best episode so far this season... But that's not saying much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah, someone quitting and no tribal makes for a very anti-climactic merge episode. This is when stuff is supposed to get bonkers!

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I'm still not sure how trail mix should have caused some sort of cluster gently caress like that when you just finished eating lobster.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The group decided as a whole to take back the rest of the food for everyone to eat. Julie then slipped the trail mix into her bag for just her to eat.

Piell fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 7, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Jack Skeleton posted:

I'm still not sure how trail mix should have caused some sort of cluster gently caress like that when you just finished eating lobster.

Julie's hoarding of food was a good reason to pin a target on her. But editing must me messing with time or something.
1. Julie's team received huge bag of rice from Probst.
2. Julie's team won the beef and chicken skewers reward
3. Merge feast (and keeping leftovers at camp).
4. The next morning they're all so hungry they go through her bag looking for trail mix.

This is Survivor, not a spa retreat! And the challenge of holding onto a pair of ropes was not exactly a huge caloric expenditure.

Maybe Probst's getting soft in his old age because he didn't let Osten Taylor get off so easy when he wanted to quit during a TC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruzCnRyQwI4

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

elgarbo posted:

It was the best episode so far this season... But that's not saying much.
It's so funny that before they start, contestants will say "Player I'm most like is..." Parvati, or Russell Hantz, or Tyson and then they get out there and so many of them play the minimal-strategizing 'anyone but me' game as long as possible.

It was a good episode but Julie quitting delayed the drama of the alliance-defining Jeremy vs. Josh TC until next week.

Pre game Julie:

quote:

. Reason for Being on SURVIVOR: The experience and for the possibilities of future Survivor shows. I would love to compete more than once.
Why You Think You’ll “Survive” SURVIVOR: I am the most observant person. I’m told by everyone that knows me that I can figure out someone’s state of mind and intentions within minutes. I’ll bring that strong instinct to the game to help my team win.
Why You Think You Will Be the Sole SURVIVOR: I am super determined when I put my mind to a task. I am not one to look for help, if I need something, I make it happen. I believe I could be one of the last few on the show.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 7, 2014

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

STAC Goat posted:

Oh, and I totally think it's dumb for Jon and Jaclyn to go with Josh over Jeremy. Jeremy's group is a mess and hugely dependent on the Jon/Jaclyn/Missy/Baylor alliance even before Julie left. Josh on the other hand has strong relationships with Wes and Baylor and virtually no relationship with Jon or Jaclyn so that sets the two of them up to easily be on the bottom of that couples deal. If Jon thinks they're going to go down to 8 without anyone making a move or forming a sub alliance he's stupid, and there's already the bulk of Josh's original alliances in there. It's a bad, bad move IMO. And it's going to cost us Jeremy and Natalie (who I keep waiting to break out and feel like she could if Jeremy goes next week and she's forced to play desperate and alone). Meanwhile I bet Josh keeps Alec around longer than Jon.

With Julie still around I just think Jeremy's alliance turning the pairs into the minority by creating more singles it makes it smart to go with Josh. But yeah now that Julie's gone I think it'd be extremely dumb for Jon/Jaclyn to side with Josh.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pretty sure Jeff Kent was a big fan. In any case, he played hard, went fairly deep, and was a good character. That was successful casting.

STAC Goat posted:

And can anyone explain to me why Baylor and Josh both feel that Baylor owes him so much? Didn't Josh vote for her twice? Wasn't he part of a guys alliance that had her targeted? Did I miss something or is Baylor just that weirdly gullible and Josh that deludedly manipulative? I'd respect it if he said he was just manipulating her but his whole "I'm hurt" thing sure made it seem like he actually thought Baylor owed him everything.
He really sort of saved her twice... Once by flipping his vote to Val when he was supposed to vote for Baylor (and she would've gone home then if he hadn't) and once again by blowing up the men's alliance and booting Rocker.

STAC Goat posted:

Oh, and I totally think it's dumb for Jon and Jaclyn to go with Josh over Jeremy. Jeremy's group is a mess and hugely dependent on the Jon/Jaclyn/Missy/Baylor alliance even before Julie left. Josh on the other hand has strong relationships with Wes and Baylor and virtually no relationship with Jon or Jaclyn so that sets the two of them up to easily be on the bottom of that couples deal. If Jon thinks they're going to go down to 8 without anyone making a move or forming a sub alliance he's stupid, and there's already the bulk of Josh's original alliances in there. It's a bad, bad move IMO. And it's going to cost us Jeremy and Natalie (who I keep waiting to break out and feel like she could if Jeremy goes next week and she's forced to play desperate and alone). Meanwhile I bet Josh keeps Alec around longer than Jon.
I think this is right though. Even though, as people have pointed out, Jeremy absolutely will pull in singles from the enemy alliance after a few boots in order to stop the couples from locking up and taking him and Natalie out at 6, and that's gotten more difficult with Julie gone. Hmm, I guess he and Natalie could always instead just buddy up with Baylor and Missy and then boot out Jon and Jaclyn at 6, but if I were Missy and it was my call I'd rather ally with Jon and Jaclyn at that point.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Jeremy's alliance management is poo poo, and he essentially let his own alliance-mates poo poo on Julie when he absolutely needed her not to quit. He should have had a person on her 24/7 to make sure she felt loved and important as soon as he noticed she was starting to fade. Also, it may be the editing, but the motherfucker will not stop complaining. I watch this show with my wife, and she went off to get a drink right after the immunity challenge ended and Jeremy came on to screen and apparently she was able to tell he was bitching again just from the tone of his voice.

I love this season, and Baylor is going to end up on the Final Three because the universe always picks the comedy option.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I think its sort of amusing that Josh is tooting the "couple solidarity" horn when one of his most reliable allies is Alec. It does make sense, and I guess it would be easy enough to just be like "hey Alec, this is how were spinning it to Jon/Jaclyn/Missy/Baylor, so just play along", but its still a little funny.

It was a cleverly-edited episode. All these confessionals with Jeremy/Missy talking about how they had "numbers", or Josh worrying that he didn't have "numbers", and fittingly, somebody leaves the game partially due to being treated almost entirely like a number and nothing more. It was a nice touch.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Jeremy's alliance management is poo poo, and he essentially let his own alliance-mates poo poo on Julie when he absolutely needed her not to quit. He should have had a person on her 24/7 to make sure she felt loved and important as soon as he noticed she was starting to fade. Also, it may be the editing, but the motherfucker will not stop complaining. I watch this show with my wife, and she went off to get a drink right after the immunity challenge ended and Jeremy came on to screen and apparently she was able to tell he was bitching again just from the tone of his voice.

I love this season, and Baylor is going to end up on the Final Three because the universe always picks the comedy option.

Yeah, Jeremy and Natalie have hosed up from the get go with Julie. I think Missy was the only one to try to console Julie and make it so she didn't feel completely alienated from her tribe/alliance when all the Rocker stuff went down.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Vernacular posted:

I think its sort of amusing that Josh is tooting the "couple solidarity" horn when one of his most reliable allies is Alec. It does make sense, and I guess it would be easy enough to just be like "hey Alec, this is how were spinning it to Jon/Jaclyn/Missy/Baylor, so just play along", but its still a little funny.

haha yeah when I thought of this my immediate reaction was "oh yeah it's Alec, he'll buy into whatever."

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Still struggling to find anyone to root for this season, it sure as hell won't be Missy though.

Quitters are terrible and it's annoying that they knew they had a probable quitter on their hands and cast her anyway.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I had previously noticed that Baylor's nail polish was holding up really well. She must be wearing gels, but that poo poo looked bad last episode. That's all I took away from this last episode.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Mercaptopropyl posted:

haha yeah when I thought of this my immediate reaction was "oh yeah it's Alec, he'll buy into whatever."

Props to him for actually making a comment about the trail mix, though. It could have been the straw that broke the camel's back for Julie.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
So I'm currently watching the most recent season of Survivor South Africa (I watch several international editions because just two American seasons a year isn't enough to satisfy my craving) and the weirdest thing just happened. One of the tribes stole the Hidden Immunity Idol from one of its members (Gena) and then promptly proceeded to unanimously vote her out! I can't believe the production team actually allowed this, isn't that completely against the rules usually? It was really bizarre. :psyduck:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

less laughter posted:

So I'm currently watching the most recent season of Survivor South Africa (I watch several international editions because just two American seasons a year isn't enough to satisfy my craving) and the weirdest thing just happened. One of the tribes stole the Hidden Immunity Idol from one of its members (Gena) and then promptly proceeded to unanimously vote her out! I can't believe the production team actually allowed this, isn't that completely against the rules usually? It was really bizarre. :psyduck:

Are there any seasons of international versions that you would recommend watching? I've watched international versions of the Amazing Race that have been just as good if not better than most American seasons, so I hope the same would hold for Survivor.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Shakugan posted:

Are there any seasons of international versions that you would recommend watching?

Maybe the Survivor Israel episode where a tribe won Rupert Boneham as a reward? He wrecked their shelter, ate all their food, acted like a jackass and left.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I thought most of the international editions had ceased production. Curse you, outdated wikipedia pages!

The canadian version of amazing race, a scant two seasons, has been far better than recent american seasons.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

:siren: Previously on gently caress JULIE... :siren:

vvvVVvvVVvv I have it bookmarked :) vvvVVvvVVVvv

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 13, 2014

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Thread not stuck tonight?

--ed: OOPS NEVER MIND

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I have no idea what was being talked about there because Jaclyn

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
Is it Jon with the 5 finger shoes?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Neat challenge.

:taco: & :cheers:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Beer: YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Iced Tea: :geno:

and Margaritas: YEAHHHHHHHHH

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

So glad the lovely redemptionexile island challenges are done.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Jeremy, Twinnie, Wes, Keith, Reid
vs
Jon, Alex, Josh, Baylor, Jaclyn

I missed it, were these teams drafted or assigned randomly?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

^
schoolyard picks

Haha, gently caress you Missy!

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

Jeremy, Twinnie, Wes, Keith, Reid
vs
Jon, Alex, Josh, Baylor, Jaclyn

I missed it, were these teams drafted or assigned randomly?

Drafted. I always wished we could see how these drafts go.

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
Wow, great challenge.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

So glad the lovely redemptionexile island challenges are done.

You spoke too soon.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The result of every challenge so far...

If Baylor is on the team = instant loss.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Recursive posted:

Wow, great challenge.

You spoke too soon.
It's a real challenge and not 1 on 1 in the arena. I don't hate exile island on its own.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Wee Bairns posted:

^
schoolyard picks

Haha, gently caress you Missy!

What idiot drafted Josh, Baylor, and Jaclyn on the same team.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The caterers probably smelled that tribe coming a mile away.

Keith: I had no ideal.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

The caterers probably smelled that tribe coming a mile away.

Keith: I had no ideal.

They'll smell em leaving too [~fart jokes~]

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
#TACOOVERLOAD

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Wes is PLOWED!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Blindsided by this taco overload.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

"Wesley's a good kid, ain't been in jail yet"

:siren::siren::siren: #TACOOVERLOAD :siren::siren::siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

#Blindsided by this #tacooverload.

Fixed that.

• Locked thread