Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah that whole area is level crossings because CP originally owned it, and when they sold the land to the city, the city (as always) decided to take the cheap way out and just go "level crossings for everyone ahahaha." They only built the downtown elevated railway because of a logistical concern about floodways, not because of any concern for the rest of the town.

Got trapped there a few days ago going into Inglewood.

On topic: I really hate how whenever I drive the Miata, suddenly all the morons who leave their foglights on 24/7 are blinding me. I feel like I should mount some high-lumen rally lights on a bullbar to the thing and just start flashing back.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

PT6A posted:

Glenmore didn't work badly once I finally got there, but I was trying to be clever and I thought the 26th/25th Ave. connector didn't have a level crossing (oh boy, it very much does!) so I had to backtrack significantly to get back to Glenmore. If I'd just gone south on Blackfoot when I was on 58th, everything would've been hunky dory.

It's a good thing Memory Express is cheap and awesome, because I'd never put up with that location otherwise. This was the second time in a row I caught a CP train leaving there...

Yes, the traffic circle of doom with it's own very set of rules because, you know, traffic circles, and a train line running through the middle that has 20 minute trains every 10 minutes during rush hours. They know exactly when to push peoples buttons.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

On topic: I really hate how whenever I drive the Miata, suddenly all the morons who leave their foglights on 24/7 are blinding me. I feel like I should mount some high-lumen rally lights on a bullbar to the thing and just start flashing back.

I've never experienced it so I'm not sure why everyone hates on foglamps. I find them aesthetically pleasing and there's usually two types used on most cars, either a proper really wide beam pattern or a glorified low mounted driving light beam pattern which may or may not actually serve a purpose other than looks.

Are you guys getting glare from the light reflecting off the road or do a bunch of people have sky facing foglights after running into things?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

AncientTV posted:

My FL test was so slow that I had to ride the brake the entire time. The whole test was done in the 5mph parking lot at the DMV.

Yup, that's the test above. there was a sign that said 20MPH, but the tester was like don't even.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I didn't leave the parking lot for my driving test. Luckily I had drivers Ed in school which had us on the road a lot in brand new cars.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

I didn't leave the parking lot for my driving test. Luckily I had drivers Ed in school which had us on the road a lot in brand new cars.

Driver's Ed in summer school consisted of a slightly larger parking lot.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

toplitzin posted:

We got lucky. That program got shut down a couple of years later.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Fuller9x posted:

Yes, the traffic circle of doom with it's own very set of rules because, you know, traffic circles, and a train line running through the middle that has 20 minute trains every 10 minutes during rush hours. They know exactly when to push peoples buttons.

This whole conversation is a "You know you're a railfan if..." thing for me. It sounds great, I wish I had that level of rail activity near me.

Obviously I can see how it wears when you're trying to commute around it, but I'd love it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

I've never experienced it so I'm not sure why everyone hates on foglamps. I find them aesthetically pleasing and there's usually two types used on most cars, either a proper really wide beam pattern or a glorified low mounted driving light beam pattern which may or may not actually serve a purpose other than looks.

Are you guys getting glare from the light reflecting off the road or do a bunch of people have sky facing foglights after running into things?

When I switch from the Subaru to the Miata, my eye position drops about two feet, which means that foglights are glaring me directly in the eyes.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I drive a lowered mustang and it puts me directly in front of most headlights, you should be thankful you're just getting fog lights.

I also run with fogs 24/7 because they look rad.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah, low car plus everyone else is in a truck/suv makes it seem like they all have high beams on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cage posted:

I drive a lowered mustang and it puts me directly in front of most headlights, you should be thankful you're just getting fog lights.

Most truck headlights are over my head, so I just get a weird foggy sensation from them followed by rear end-puckering terror whenever I have to stop for a light and look in the rearview.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cage posted:

I

gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

toplitzin posted:

We had zero experience driving in a parking lot. It was three students to a car with an instructor. First day, I was the first driver, first time behind the wheel of a car, and had to back a lovely station wagon out of a space in a parking lot with all the other student driver cars doing the same thing, then immediately getting onto the road. Even had some highway practice by the end.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have minded some slow moving around a parking lot at first to get used to how a car controls. We did that in the motorcycle class I took and it was great at building confidence.

Driver's license test was around the block and, I think, a three point turn.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Geirskogul posted:

gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
They're 6 inches off the ground and tiny they ain't hurting anyone. :colbert:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cage posted:

They're 6 inches off the ground and tiny they ain't hurting anyone. :colbert:

Except having a generally unfocused, bright beam that fucks with my night vision.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
But you're compromising your long-range visibility :qq:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PT6A posted:

An idea occurs: it seems to me that a large part of really lovely driving behaviour comes from a failure to be able to navigate in unfamiliar territory and/or a great fear of what to do after one has missed one's turn. Upon reflection, I don't think "how to unfuck yourself when lost" was ever a skill that was taught in drivers' ed. Having gone on a godforsaken wild goose chase today*, more or less, but having never put anyone in danger as a result, I'm thinking this is perhaps a skill we should focus on.

I think I was a better, calmer driver back before I had a smartphone for navigation. If I needed to go somewhere I'd never been before, I would look it up on Google Maps and spend a few minutes studying the route. Maybe jot down a few notes. Now I just turn on navigation and have no idea what my general route is going to look like.

I also used to be calmer about missing an exit/turn when I didn't have that loving computer woman (who randomly switches between UK and US accent) ordering me around all the time. I'd just get turned around when possible and return to my planned route. I took better note of street signs, and would be formulating ideas on alternate routes based on what I knew of the area. Because my old car was actually fun to drive, too, I'd sometimes just go driving around Rochester for kicks, learning the place.

At least now, once I've driven somewhere with navigation I can generally get home without navigation, and can return to the same place later without needing navigation. My wife uses navigation for everything; if we go somewhere, she needs it to get home again. She generally doesn't know which way north is. I love her but goddamn some people are helpless at navigation.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Geirskogul posted:

Except having a generally unfocused, bright beam that fucks with my night vision.

ow my eyes.

(Yeah the headlights are a lovely upgrade but those are stock foglights. They dont do poo poo.)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Cage posted:

:frog:

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Is it really an upgrade if you call it lovely

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

hitze posted:

Is it really an upgrade if you call it lovely
Not my car, just showing how weak the fogs are.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I try not to get too riled up when I drive but hoooolllllyyyy fuuuuuuck, people who insist on driving at absolutely no more than 40km/h on a clearly signed 60km/h (single lane) road when there is no other traffic, no obstructions, no bad weather conditions, no speed traps or cops in miles drive me absolutely loving insane. I could understand if there was some sort of reason to drive so loving slowly but there isn't. It's a long, straight suburban road in a quiet suburb. There's no freeway on/off ramps, no rail crossings, no schools or malls to gently caress things up but these assholes manage to turn what should be a breezy, enjoyable drive into the city into a frustrating nightmare crawl.

The only thing worse is motherfuckers who set their cruise control to 98km/h on a 100km/h highway causing me to have to constantly do the 'speed up, overtake, put a safe distance between us and get back in the left hand lane' dance over and over because I'll be damned if I'm sitting on 95 instead of 105 all the way to wherever I'm going.

Jeherrin posted:

Could be wrong (it's been a good few years since I passed my test) but here in the UK, that'll fail you — not merging at speed. The rule of thumb is basically that you need to be doing 60mph when you leave the merge lane — more if you plan on immediately heading into the middle lane to get past lorries etc.

I was always taught that when you merge the person behind you should never have to brake to accomodate for you entering their lane (assuming that they're not speeding or some other edge-case scenario).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cage posted:

Not my car, just showing how weak the fogs are.

Seriously though, stock SN95 foglights are better suited to providing ambiance to a romantic dinner than actually outputting any usable (much less blinding) light whatsoever.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I was at a light for a whole cycle this evening, waiting to turn left (US), sitting across from a guy in a Mercedes-Benz, with his high beams on. I turned mine on to reciprocate; my TJ has a 4" lift and 33" tires, putting my beams right in his eyeballs. We both sat there, blinding each other and oncoming traffic for about thirty seconds. Right before the light changed and I was clear to make my turn, he relented and switched off his highs, followed by a quick flash.

Today, I won. I had to be a jerk to a few innocent bystanders to do it, but I got one of the thousands of assholes driving with their highs on to respect some road etiquette.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh man, my drivers ed was awesome. We drove around town, we had competitons and we drove to Great Falls, a 220 mile round trip. We bet ice cream on getting tires over a target while parking. We went to the MHP testing grounds. We did the test where the instructor chooses one of three lanes and you have to go in it, I was terrible at that, but I was great at the slalom. My actual drivers test was cake but we at least went on the highway and back.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

PT6A posted:

An idea occurs: it seems to me that a large part of really lovely driving behaviour comes from a failure to be able to navigate in unfamiliar territory and/or a great fear of what to do after one has missed one's turn. Upon reflection, I don't think "how to unfuck yourself when lost" was ever a skill that was taught in drivers' ed. Having gone on a godforsaken wild goose chase today*, more or less, but having never put anyone in danger as a result, I'm thinking this is perhaps a skill we should focus on.

I love driving, so a couple things I did a lot when I was younger, but still do from time to time are:

1) Get lost on purpose. I just take a turn I've never taken before, or follow a street I've never gone down, and then just cruise around using my sense of direction to try and get back to a major road that I know is somewhere in that direction. These days I'll study google maps and then head out to see if I can find the route I picked.

2) Pick a landmark and try to get to it with no directions. This works best with something you can see from multiple locations such as a radio tower or a hilltop or famous building with a view of some kind, or something with signs that lead to it but no directions other than that.

It's a lot of fun, and I tend to be able to read side streets really well for dead ends and such. So many times when you're trying to double back on your route, it turns out the neighborhood is culdesacs or curvy roads that throw off your sense of direction. Staying on the main arterials can be critical. I highly recommend these activities for any driving enthusiast.

And something I'm going to do with my daughter once she knows the main highways around town is drive her somewhere she's never been and make her drive home with no navigation.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Fuller9x posted:

I couldn't believe anyone would design such a thing, but lo and behold:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Calg...2,12.65,,0,8.91

Oh hey, those are all of my company's crossing panels, looks like they're holding up well! :D

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

NoWake posted:

I'm guessing this is why I forgot that route had a level crossing. I couldn't picture it being anywhere along the route, and I guess my brain simply forbade me of conceiving that anyone would put a rail line through a traffic circle.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was stuck behind an old guy doing 22 in a 35, single lane, no designated shoulder. It's residential, but still 35 mph speed limit. As we are passing an elementary school (so technically now it's 25 mph for the school zone) we both get passed on the right by another old guy who doesn't give a gently caress. I honked in vain.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
gently caress! I went down to the same place today and caught the CP train again, this time from the other side, too late to turn onto a side street and backtrack. Luckily, I only had a five minute wait or so.

Which brings me to my next point: after something like that, there's obviously a lot of congestion from the traffic that's been waiting for the train to cross. It sure would be nice if people, y'know, didn't block every goddamn entry, exit or intersection so there aren't even larger backups caused by people trying to make a legal turn with some jackass in their way on the other side of the road.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why can't people drive at a consistent speed on the highway? As soon as a curve or hill (or nothing) comes along they go from 60mph to 45mph with nothing in front of them. Use cruise control or your god drat foot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

Why can't people drive at a consistent speed on the highway? As soon as a curve or hill (or nothing) comes along they go from 60mph to 45mph with nothing in front of them. Use cruise control or your god drat foot.

I think I posted this in the thread a few months ago, but I had the same car pass me no less than 4 times in 90 minutes while I was on cruise control the entire time. I still have no idea what the gently caress was wrong with them.

The worst thing about these people is they'll usually speed up on downhill straight sections, so they can be im-loving-possible to pass safely.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Three nonconsecutive cars had their high beams on in about 2 miles. Same road I got passed on this morning. I don't know what's going on.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

We've finally hit the tipping point with lovely HIDz conversions and luxury cars with bright-as-the-sun OEM headlights that your average commuter with with highbeams on isn't the brightest thing on the road. :(

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Average commuters have never been the brightest things on the road. :rimshot:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I'm honestly shocked that I haven't even seen a fender bender. I see so many brutal near misses happen that it's not even funny. This 80's Toyota pickup turned left on a flashing yellow right in front of an oncoming SUV. We're talking about a second in between these cars.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

NoWake posted:

Oh hey, those are all of my company's crossing panels, looks like they're holding up well! :D

Oh, that intersection. I can feel the veins popping out of my forehead just looking at it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

PT6A posted:

I think I posted this in the thread a few months ago, but I had the same car pass me no less than 4 times in 90 minutes while I was on cruise control the entire time. I still have no idea what the gently caress was wrong with them.

The worst thing about these people is they'll usually speed up on downhill straight sections, so they can be im-loving-possible to pass safely.

I will never ever understand this. I still remember a time that I was heading down to see my parents a few years back and had my cruise set at 78 on the interstate. I rolled past some bro in a Mk.V GTI (I was in left lane, he was in center lane) and he must have not appreciated it because he cracked it open and blasted back by me a few seconds later. I didn't touch my cruise and just rolled by him again about a minute later.

I don't think people like being passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Seems like every driver around here is afraid if being passed. It's like "oh wait I'm sorry I'm actually faster usually let me show you please"