Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ion Helmet posted:

the +5 demon whip "Spellbinder" {antimagic, MR+}

That is a really cool artefact that sounds pretty fun for Zot. "Inflicts miscasts on spellcasters" sounds really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Ion Helmet posted:

the +5 demon whip "Spellbinder" {antimagic, MR+}

This is one of the best weapons you could bring to Zot & beyond. A blessed scourge would hit harder but antimagic locks down some of the most dangerous enemies

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Spellbinder is a neat gimmick but it's also horrible, unless you like summoning hostile shadow fiends on yourself and hitting yourself with Tornado.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

Spellbinder is a neat gimmick but it's also horrible, unless you like summoning hostile shadow fiends on yourself and hitting yourself with Tornado.

hell, who doesnt

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thug Lessons posted:

actually it still sounds cool as hell but gently caress you for ruining the prank on me

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

It is still cool, just not as an actual weapon.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm about to go into the orcish mines with a +14 obsidian axe, is this suicide?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

That sounds funny as hell but I actually didn't know that, no prank.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Thug Lessons posted:

You should revert the commit from a while back that removed randarts "of the Doge".

"Even though it actually is an obscure medieval political office, it looks like a silly reference."

also the dev who wrote that is still around and I feel bad when I argue with him (I'm not sure english is his first language?) so probably I'm gonna do something else, instead of that.

Aston posted:

I'm about to go into the orcish mines with a +14 obsidian axe, is this suicide?

the obsidian axe is my favorite item in dungeon crawl.

do it.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 5, 2014

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Thug Lessons posted:

You should revert the commit from a while back that removed randarts "of the Doge".

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
ok, I did a thing.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

pleasant fun guy, I was just calcified by a catoblepas in depths over deep water (as a flying tengu). ? ? ? how should I feel about not falling to my death?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

PleasingFungus posted:

the obsidian axe is my favorite item in dungeon crawl.

do it.

trip report: this is the best weapon in any game

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Tried the Android port to fill in an Internet less void, I don't know why I thought why it was a good idea.
Gargoyles are fun and I should play those more often.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

I am Otis posted:

pleasant fun guy, I was just calcified by a catoblepas in depths over deep water (as a flying tengu). ? ? ? how should I feel about not falling to my death?

tengu flight is explicitly magical. that's why it costs mp to activate & and never stops working (even when e.g. you are turned to stone, porkolated, etc)

this is mostly because crawl tries not to instakill players.

Aston posted:

trip report: this is the best weapon in any game

yessssssssssss.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
So I've got a pretty sweet GrCj going. Trying to decide whether to go earth/fire/ice as my element of choice. Never actually gone earth it's always seemed kind of awkward

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Don't you get a message warning you that moving while barbed will hurt that you have to say yes or no to?

Just got my first rune, spider nest wasn't too bad, fast regen takes the bite out of poison, those orb spiders almost got me a few times though, scary.

mentions it in the text log along with the low hitpoint warning but doesn't pause the game, i thought it was just nagging me repeatedly about my unchanging HP. just got killed by bees after i killed their queen because they basically instakilled the ogre trog sent to help, then came out and started stinging me while i was eating/ wasps ruined my picnic

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Note to self: do not enter ice caves when on a streak.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Hey I just got my first rune ever!

Also my second!

So I guess now the plan is Vaults down to 4, then Depths, then Vaults 5 then win the game?!

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Aston posted:

Also my second!

So I guess now the plan is Vaults down to 4, then Depths, then Vaults 5 then win the game?!

if you've cleared out orc mines too then yeah thats the plan

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Aston posted:

Also my second!

Goongrats, and yeah.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

code:
 You throw a poisoned javelin. The poisoned javelin hits the orc!
The orc explodes!
The fiery explosion engulfs the orc.
The orc explodes!
The orc explodes!
The orc explodes!
Trog accepts your kill. x3
The orc explodes!
The orc explodes!
The fiery explosion engulfs the orc knight.
The orc knight is moderately wounded.
Trog accepts your kill.
The orc knight explodes!
The fiery explosion engulfs the orc warrior.
The orc warrior explodes!
The orc explodes!
The orc explodes!
The fiery explosion engulfs the orc warrior.
The orc warrior explodes!
Trog accepts your kill.
The orc knight is severely wounded.
Trog accepts your kill. x2
You kill the orc knight!
Trog accepts your kill. x2
Your Throwing skill increases to level 3!
Trog accepts your kill.
Your Fighting skill increases to level 11!
_Trog accepts your kill. x2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuB20drdeeY

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Got drunk, played crawl and died stupidly. Please play safely, goons.

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009
im level 11 and ive explored almost an entire floor of the abyss and cannot find the loving exit

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3 posted:

im level 11 and ive explored almost an entire floor of the abyss and cannot find the loving exit

we need to go deeper

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i dont think ive ever played crawl sober :shrug:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the difference between Trunk and 0.15 and which should I play?

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

0.15 is the newest stable version of crawl.

trunk is the development version, currently 0.16-a. you'll get features meant for the next version, but also weird stuff being tested sometimes, and more bugs. the bad ones always get fixed very quickly though.

play 0.15 if you want it to be stable (the only changes to this one will be bugfixes). play trunk if you want bleeding edge stuff.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

inventory management is more convenient in trunk since food chunks stack

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

we need to go deeper

is that really what i had to do, i walked past at least a couple of doors 'deeper into the abyss' but figuered i didnt want to go there. my guy had a +5 axe that let him fly/see invis/negative resistance/bonus damage, and some sick rings and wands, and i died because i tried to explore the whole abyss?

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3 posted:

is that really what i had to do, i walked past at least a couple of doors 'deeper into the abyss' but figuered i didnt want to go there.

The wiki suggests the lower levels have slightly higher rates of creating an exit portal but no you probably did not want to do that since the monsters get tougher too. Each level is endless and you just have to wander around until an exit portal gets generated.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

am i correct that resting to heal isn't a very good strategy in abyss? more poo poo's gonna keep coming after you so you may as well at least look for an exit

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

am i correct that resting to heal isn't a very good strategy in abyss? more poo poo's gonna keep coming after you so you may as well at least look for an exit

If you find a tunnel or nook you can usually heal up there unless something is looking for you.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

abyss is so gay

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

pretty much

even outside the abyss, resting to heal isnt a great idea on any level you haven't completely explored, since it means more stuff will spawn or wander into you. a full rest is 100 turns, which is a lot.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do you guys think losing 10% HP is worth +2 to AC and SH and the Spit Poison ability on an Orc Fighter?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

+2AC is like -1 damage per hit, so if an average fight involves getting hit more times than 10% of your hit points, it is probably worth it. I have no idea how to estimate SH's marginal value so I won't try. I'm guessing no. Certainly once you hit 200 HP you shouldn't be getting hit 20 times per fight but AC may well be better early on.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

fadam posted:

Do you guys think losing 10% HP is worth +2 to AC and SH and the Spit Poison ability on an Orc Fighter?

frail is generally considered one of the worst mutations in the game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Man I picked Beorgh as a goof but now I have like eight orcs following me around this is tight.

EDIT: ah poo poo can I only ever give a follower one item? I think I just blew it by giving this guy a shield instead of one of my dank swords.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

fadam posted:

how often has this character come within 1-20hp from death? because that's what frail does, is it removes the last little bit of health that let's you squeak through some lovely spots

• Locked thread