Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

http://rusrand.ru/analytics/analyticsnatsionalnoe-gosudarstvo-cherez-prizmu-ideologij

A discourse about the "death of the nation state through the lens of ideology." Essentially, the argument is that nation-state is dead and the consequence of globalization is that instead of creating a "flat" world where national borders don't matter, we've created a fissured world where national borders matter less than ethnic-cultural-linguistic blocs which should be reformed as empires. Expect this to become (even more of) an omnipresent theme in Russian media and expect RT to start subtly suggesting that a US invasion of Canada would be a good idea in order to consolidate our empire.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Smerdyakov posted:

Expect this to become (even more of) an omnipresent theme in Russian media and expect RT to start subtly suggesting that a US invasion of Canada would be a good idea in order to consolidate our empire.
Well, that's one way to fix the drought.

Let's make it happen! :patriot: :canada:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Smerdyakov posted:

http://rusrand.ru/analytics/analyticsnatsionalnoe-gosudarstvo-cherez-prizmu-ideologij

A discourse about the "death of the nation state through the lens of ideology." Essentially, the argument is that nation-state is dead and the consequence of globalization is that instead of creating a "flat" world where national borders don't matter, we've created a fissured world where national borders matter less than ethnic-cultural-linguistic blocs which should be reformed as empires. Expect this to become (even more of) an omnipresent theme in Russian media and expect RT to start subtly suggesting that a US invasion of Canada would be a good idea in order to consolidate our empire.

Who needs to invade? Let the Canuks come to us.

[They are.]

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Russians are really going to regret pushing this idea when the Eurasian ethnoempires of the 22nd century get owned by queer, spanglish-speaking, mocha-skinned Americans.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mightypeon posted:

Ehmm, are you serious?
You are talking about the worlds premier nuclear power, with propably the worlds 3rd strongest conventional army.

I mean, I get that the US military sees itself as the best warfighters ever because they were like, totally successfull in their recent venues.

If you want some extra information, this is a good starting point.
http://nationalinterest.org/commentary/russias-military-back-9181

The US has been extremely successful in its military operations, and Ukraine's military was barely functional back in 2012. The fact that they have any success at all defending against the Russians is an illustration of how weak Russia is. The nuclear trump is literally all Russia has.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jarmak posted:

The fact that they have any success at all defending against the Russians is an illustration of how weak Russia is. The nuclear trump is literally all Russia has.

The Russians haven't gone all in. Remember Putin's threat to Barroso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32akHuL9i0A

(Pretend Michael Bluth is Dima)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mightypeon posted:

I mean, I get that the US military sees itself as the best warfighters ever because they were like, totally successfull in their recent venues.

The problem isn't the military itself, but rather that it has been expected to solve problems that don't have a military solution (fixing Afghanistan, reshaping the Middle East in the neoconservatives' image, reversing all the fuckups that led to ISIS.)

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Mightypeon posted:

Ehmm, are you serious?
You are talking about the worlds premier nuclear power, with propably the worlds 3rd strongest conventional army.

Yeah, America could totally burn Russia to the ground if they didn't have nukes. Also our nukes are better probably.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Are there even any other historical examples of a military invading a country and then sticking around to try to rebuild it with a stable, friendly government? In the past it seemed like you just invaded and installed a puppet dictator/king and called it a day.

When it comes to invading and dismantling a nations government, the US military is terrifyingly effective.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mustang posted:

Are there even any other historical examples of a military invading a country and then sticking around to try to rebuild it with a stable, friendly government? In the past it seemed like you just invaded and installed a puppet dictator/king and called it a day.

When it comes to invading and dismantling a nations government, the US military is terrifyingly effective.

To a point right, we can't really do much if a country has a modern AA system in place. Our emphasis is on air power because we need to minimize causalities to the greatest extent. We may still win a ground conflict, but it may turn bloody and that doesn't play well back home.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mustang posted:

Are there even any other historical examples of a military invading a country and then sticking around to try to rebuild it with a stable, friendly government?

Well yeah.

There's two sorts of invasion: if you're invading only for pillage and plunder, then you get away with the spoil of war and let them rebuild by themselves so that there's more stuff to pillage next time. But when you invade to seize territory, you rebuild because you want to invaded land to be part of your country from now on (directly as a province or indirectly as a colony) and it has to be functional to be profitable.

What's new is the idea of invading, rebuilding, and then going away. But that's not exactly what happened in Iraq, is it?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

"A modern AA system" means having enough launchers, missiles, trained crew, radar systems etc to at least pop a couple of hundred jets really fast, at least enough to make any attack by the 4000 strong NATO plane swarm rather unappealing politically.
Having enough / the industry to replenish modern AA systems to put up an actual fight for years is out of the league for anyone but like, China and Russia.

Luckily for a lot of countries, that NATO plane swarm is about to get a whole lot smaller and less effective (against modern AA at least) thanks to the F-35 :911:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pimpmust posted:

"A modern AA system" means having enough launchers, missiles, trained crew, radar systems etc to at least pop a couple of hundred jets really fast, at least enough to make any attack by the 4000 strong NATO plane swarm rather unappealing politically.
Having enough / the industry to replenish modern AA systems to put up an actual fight for years is out of the league for anyone but like, China and Russia.

Luckily for a lot of countries, that NATO plane swarm is about to get a whole lot smaller and less effective (against modern AA at least) thanks to the F-35 :911:

Eh NATO "plane swarms" have been far less robust than that in recent years maybe by a magnitude or 2.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ardennes posted:

Eh NATO "plane swarms" have been far less robust than that in recent years maybe by a magnitude or 2.

How about Drones?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZyL-zEoMfM

They only cost 30k each. The NATO air swarm is hella effective, but now we have replaced danes in f-16s with unmanned decoys.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Jarmak posted:

The US has been extremely successful in its military operations, and Ukraine's military was barely functional back in 2012. The fact that they have any success at all defending against the Russians is an illustration of how weak Russia is. The nuclear trump is literally all Russia has.

You are aware that Russia is less brazenly involved in Ukraine than Nato was in Lybia?
You are aware that Ukraines military is claiming "it was the Russians who did this" everytime they loose, and is also claiming "it was the Russians we defeated mwahahaha"?
You are aware that an outright invasion, which would result in Russian in Kiev in about 2 weeks at most, is not done because Russia doesnt feel like subsidizing Ukraine forever afterwards (and also because Russia thinks that this is what the USA wants them to do)?

For the record, your military managed, with considerable ground assistance of indigenous forces, tactically defeat the Taleban. It has no achieved its strategic goals in Afghanistan.
It managed to cursh Saddam Hussein, and, despite pretty spirited resistance, deal the death blow to Col. Ghadaffis forces in Lybia.
The situation in Lybia, and especially in Iraq, is not at all in line with previously formulated US strategic goals. Both are strategic blunders.
Your most notable success in the Iraqi counter insurgency came from literally bribing your enemies to attack your puppet goverment instead (while insisting on the polite fiction that they were attacking Al-Quaida), which pretty few people see as a successfull military endeavor.

Do you seriously want to compare Khadyrov to Maliki or Karzai? I mean, Khadyrov is so secure, he sents parts of his irregular armed forces abroad to further perceived Russian interests, Maliki by contrast needed constant infusions of US aid to be even able remotely hold on power.
If you take the absolutly incredible amount of resources the US military can draw upon into account, lets just say that the actual performance of your military does not look very impressive.

Apart from that, training for counter insurgency and demoting huge resources that could have been spent elsewhere will without a doubt do great things for you in a conventional clash with loving Russia.

Note, I am German, not that my military is much better run, and my, admittedly conscript, opinion is that "well, if our army would be good, big brother would constantly bother us to use it for blowing up random 3rd world dictators, and that would be a hazzle." was a pretty well entrechned informal concept.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Mightypeon posted:

You are aware that Russia is less brazenly involved in Ukraine than Nato was in Lybia?

I normally know better than to read one word of a MightyPeon post, but this is especially laughable.

How many Americans died in Libya? 4, after Gaddafi? And how many Russians have died in Ukraine so far? Oh, and remember when the American military pretended to be Libyans and declared Benghazi a new American state?

Try to keep your response succinct and snappy if you've got a comeback.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

VanSandman posted:

How about Drones?

Unless you want to fully autonomize them, they are distinctly subpar against any power that can contest airspace for a lot of reasons.

First, they cannot act autonomously. They depend on their signal link to whereever in the USA is a dude in a bunker guiding them. Nation states have varied and effective means available for attacking those communication links.
Second, they can be pretty big, and arent exactly great air to air platforms.
Compared to lets say the Taleban, serious opponents tend to have an Air force.
They are also quite vulnerable to serious ground based anti air systems, of which a serious opponent would also have a ton.

Now, they can do some pretty nice recon, since one cares a lot about a spy plane getting shot down, while a recon drone getting shot down does not matter, but to fullfill any kind of "mwahahah, we will drown the evil Russians in Drones!" dreams, one would need a lot more drones than one could reasonably manufacture.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Dolash posted:

How many Americans died in Libya? 4, after Gaddafi? And how many Russians have died in Ukraine so far? Oh, and remember when the American military pretended to be Libyans and declared Benghazi a new American state?

Actually, the Libya has always been a part of USA

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Dolash posted:

I normally know better than to read one word of a MightyPeon post, but this is especially laughable.

Try to keep your response succinct and snappy if you've got a comeback.

Ok, try to get back at me when Russia blasts the gently caress of the Kievan ofrces in the field, blows up parts of Kiev, pursues Yats et al co to Lviv, and Putin does a public "We came, we saw, he died" stunt about Yats when he is killed by anal impalement.

E: thing is, US didnt even give a gently caress about holding up appearances.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Mightypeon posted:

Ok, try to get back at me when Russia blasts the gently caress of the Kievan ofrces in the field, blows up parts of Kiev, pursues Yats et al co to Lviv, and Putin does a public "We came, we saw, he died" stunt about Yats when he is killed by anal impalement.

deliberately shooting at civilians while pretending you aren't is much better than not caring when a dictator gets lynched by his people, yes

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mightypeon posted:

The USA also didn't intervene in Libya as a result of Libyan protesting against Qaddafi's refusal to sign a Community of Independent States accession treaty and choosing instead to align with Washington's wishes, then the protesters managing to force Qaddafi to flee to the USA while they install a pro-Russian government in Tripoli.

The similitude between Libya and Ukraine is extremely tenuous.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Mightypeon posted:

You say this like lying about foreign involvement in military operations ("appearances") is a good thing.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Mightypeon posted:

You are aware that an outright invasion, which would result in Russian in Kiev in about 2 weeks at most, is not done because Russia doesnt feel like subsidizing Ukraine forever afterwards (and also because Russia thinks that this is what the USA wants them to do)?

Is this why they keep sending soldiers to become minced meat trying to take the Donetsk airport constantly too, they want to get rid of able-bodied men to feed and clothe?

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Dolash posted:

You say this like lying about foreign involvement in military operations ("appearances") is a good thing.

A criminal who openly and brazenly breaches the law is a more powerful and dangerous criminal then one who attempts to cover his tracks.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Estonian pastry chefs created this marzipan Putin.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I'm uncertain on the current numbers, just went with whatever they had available for Gulf War 1 (or 2, depending on how you view Iran vs Iraq). I do know that the plane fleet has been aging quite a lot in the decades since and the Drone Swarms probably do a pretty poor job of a stand-up war.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
That is horrifying, but I bet Putin would kill to have a full head of hair again.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pimpmust posted:

I'm uncertain on the current numbers, just went with whatever they had available for Gulf War 1 (or 2, depending on how you view Iran vs Iraq). I do know that the plane fleet has been aging quite a lot in the decades since and the Drone Swarms probably do a pretty poor job of a stand-up war.

As for drones, I will believe it when I see it versus a conventional military with modern systems. Anyway, the number of countries that have modern systems, no nuclear weapons and aren't friends of the US is pretty small if maybe non-existent if you want to play with definitions a bit.

If you include countries with nuclear weapons (China, Russia) it gets more murky though. Iran doesn't seem to have especially modern systems at this point and we still like Egypt and Turkey.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mightypeon posted:

A criminal who openly and brazenly breaches the law is a more powerful and dangerous criminal then one who attempts to cover his tracks.

You mean like Putin?

Eh, your rambling idiocy is reaching new levels. You really strain my 'no blocking' people policy with your hideous posting.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Mightypeon posted:

E: thing is, US didn't even give a gently caress about holding up appearances.

You should note that when the US does bad things (like invade other countries with flimsy, full-of-holes excuses) they are criticized and the actions are deeply unpopular and often end up backfiring massively. And these interventions at least are against awful dictators or to support popular uprisings against them.

Why then, is it all that surprising that when Russia starts backing "Rebels" in a democratic (more or less) nation with the purpose of destabilizing it so they could carve it up in a naked grab for territory that the same thing happens but 10x worse?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mustang posted:

Japan.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Numlock posted:

You should note that when the US does bad things (like invade other countries with flimsy, full-of-holes excuses) they are criticized and the actions are deeply unpopular and often end up backfiring massively. And these interventions at least are against awful dictators or to support popular uprisings against them.

Why then, is it all that surprising that when Russia starts backing "Rebels" in a democratic (more or less) nation with the purpose of destabilizing it so they could carve it up in a naked grab for territory that the same thing happens but 10x worse?

Remind me when the US had sanctions on it for doing things about 10 times as worse in human death tolls.
Also, the US pretty much unilaterally decides who is an awfull dictator and who isnt. Neither being awful, or a dictator, are sufficient or neccessary to make it on the US shitlist. Neither being awful, nor being a dictator, prevent you from being bestest friends ever with the reigning US interests either.

Is Ukraine democratic or sovereign when Mrs. Nuland decides who becomes the Prime Minister? Perhaps it is, but wasnt it clearly more democratic and sovereign when the Ukrainian people decided that? So who started the destruction of Ukrainian democracy and sovereignity? I get that Ukraine barely registered on the globe for the average US guy, but the thing is, exactly this cluelessness is what allowed a bunch of completely unelected officials with absolutly no accountability for their shenangians to gently caress up the situation. There are literally a bunch of dead people, some of whom were genuine Ukrainian patriots, that are dead because Mrs. Nuland backed her Soros crony Yats into loving up the February agreements. With what legitimacy did she do that?
Żats by the way is such an obvious puppet that the Shah, and also Yanukovich, are like, independent minded mavericks by comparison.

I get the psychological fixation on "oh my god, Russia is evil therefore we are good", at home, the USA is transforming into an Oligarchy, it has a repression apparatus founded by direct seizures of property without even charging the victims with crimes, it wages a war on whistleblowers, happily destroys what is left of Unions, and establishes an internal apparate for mass scale repression whose capabilities may dwarf those of the NKVD. Your repression apparate also claims the right to execute by drone anyone anywhere without anything even remotely resembling due process.
Literally the only thing that improved recently is the better situation for homosexuals.

The US is already so Oligarchic that there is as a matter of fact no democratic solution for any of this, both of your parties are fundamentally the same on those issues.

It got so bad that todays Daniel Elsberg equivalent has to flee to Russia of all countries.

Hating on Russia, for in some aspects indeed being objectively worse, is like, the only thing you have left.

It is also not going to fix your issues.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Germany/Europe after WWII. The Marshall Plan was so successful it has left the impression that a version of it can be done anywhere.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

And west Germany, South korea was imho a bit different, and they managed to become prosperous and democratic inspite, not because, of US hegemony. The thing that people that rave around "X will become the next Japan/West Germany after we conquer it" forget is that the most important ingredient to that buildup was the fact that anyone with power in either West Germany or Japan was scared shitless of the USSR coming and taking their stuff, so they explicitly supported the USA.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mightypeon posted:

You are aware that Ukraines military is claiming "it was the Russians who did this" everytime they loose, and is also claiming "it was the Russians we defeated mwahahaha"?

For the record, your military managed, with considerable ground assistance of indigenous forces, tactically defeat the Taleban. It has no achieved its strategic goals in Afghanistan.
It managed to cursh Saddam Hussein, and, despite pretty spirited resistance, deal the death blow to Col. Ghadaffis forces in Lybia.
The situation in Lybia, and especially in Iraq, is not at all in line with previously formulated US strategic goals. Both are strategic blunders.
Your most notable success in the Iraqi counter insurgency came from literally bribing your enemies to attack your puppet goverment instead (while insisting on the polite fiction that they were attacking Al-Quaida), which pretty few people see as a successfull military endeavor.

Do you seriously want to compare Khadyrov to Maliki or Karzai? I mean, Khadyrov is so secure, he sents parts of his irregular armed forces abroad to further perceived Russian interests, Maliki by contrast needed constant infusions of US aid to be even able remotely hold on power.
If you take the absolutly incredible amount of resources the US military can draw upon into account, lets just say that the actual performance of your military does not look very impressive.

Apart from that, training for counter insurgency and demoting huge resources that could have been spent elsewhere will without a doubt do great things for you in a conventional clash with loving Russia.

Note, I am German, not that my military is much better run, and my, admittedly conscript, opinion is that "well, if our army would be good, big brother would constantly bother us to use it for blowing up random 3rd world dictators, and that would be a hazzle." was a pretty well entrechned informal concept.

Not that that rambling isn't mostly bullshit , but none of that has poo poo to do with the military's capabilities. The " Strategic goals" you're talking about are failures of political decisions.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Mightypeon posted:

Remind me when the US had sanctions on it for doing things about 10 times as worse in human death tolls.
Also, the US pretty much unilaterally decides who is an awfull dictator and who isnt. Neither being awful, or a dictator, are sufficient or neccessary to make it on the US shitlist. Neither being awful, nor being a dictator, prevent you from being bestest friends ever with the reigning US interests either.

Is Ukraine democratic or sovereign when Mrs. Nuland decides who becomes the Prime Minister? Perhaps it is, but wasnt it clearly more democratic and sovereign when the Ukrainian people decided that? So who started the destruction of Ukrainian democracy and sovereignity? I get that Ukraine barely registered on the globe for the average US guy, but the thing is, exactly this cluelessness is what allowed a bunch of completely unelected officials with absolutly no accountability for their shenangians to gently caress up the situation. There are literally a bunch of dead people, some of whom were genuine Ukrainian patriots, that are dead because Mrs. Nuland backed her Soros crony Yats into loving up the February agreements. With what legitimacy did she do that?
Żats by the way is such an obvious puppet that the Shah, and also Yanukovich, are like, independent minded mavericks by comparison.

I get the psychological fixation on "oh my god, Russia is evil therefore we are good", at home, the USA is transforming into an Oligarchy, it has a repression apparatus founded by direct seizures of property without even charging the victims with crimes, it wages a war on whistleblowers, happily destroys what is left of Unions, and establishes an internal apparate for mass scale repression whose capabilities may dwarf those of the NKVD. Your repression apparate also claims the right to execute by drone anyone anywhere without anything even remotely resembling due process.
Literally the only thing that improved recently is the better situation for homosexuals.

The US is already so Oligarchic that there is as a matter of fact no democratic solution for any of this, both of your parties are fundamentally the same on those issues.

It got so bad that todays Daniel Elsberg equivalent has to flee to Russia of all countries.

Hating on Russia, for in some aspects indeed being objectively worse, is like, the only thing you have left.

It is also not going to fix your issues.

Ah c'mon MP, you're better than this.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

None of this dribble excuses or even explains why Russia is attacking Ukraine because "somebody else did a bad thing" isn't an excuse or explanation.

It is as if you are suggesting Russia is a young child desperately trying to avoid trouble with their parents for doing something they knew was wrong and all they can come up with is "BILLY DID IT FIRST"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
MightyPeon, you're better suited to the Clancychat thread.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/07/ukraine-russian-military-column-east

Russian buildup in east continues.

quote:

A Kremlin adviser said on Friday that Russia was committed to the two-month-old agreement and wanted further talks held to build on peace moves involving government forces and separatists.

"Peace moves" meaning Russia moves in and there is peace.

http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/idINL6N0SY0LR20141108?irpc=932

Russia moves its institutions to Hong Kong. As I predicted in the Clancychat thread, Russia will proceed to list Gazprom in Hong Kong to raise capital given Russia's continued ambitions for winter "peace moves."

Russia: The sick man of Europe.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Wait is Russia really moving state companies offshore? How does that even work?

• Locked thread